Main Menu

Our squad

Started by ALG01, October 19, 2020, 12:54:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bassey the warrior

Quote from: ALG01 on October 19, 2020, 06:35:22 PM
Quote from: Arthur on October 19, 2020, 04:47:35 PM
Quote from: ALG01 on October 19, 2020, 03:15:10 PM
these are talented players and are certainly bigger and stronger than we had before, no doubt. but I didn't really think i needed to spell out what was on my mind....
I am referring to a tough uncomprimising enforcer who does the genuinely physical stuff, ugly but necessary.

A player comparable to whom exactly?
sorry I do not understand the question. I have describe a player type... a tough guy, what more do you need to know

Arter was a tough guy, but he looked a red card waiting to happen. I think Reed will improve and he can help protect the back four. Lemina could potentially as well, I'm not sure what kind of player he is yet.

Anguissa and RLC are formidable but neither track back well, Scott should coach them to offer a bit more in that department.

Bronaldinho

Quote from: Bronaldinho on October 19, 2020, 01:28:45 PM
We have a very physical midfield IMHO - especially at the centre. Lemina, Anguissa, RLC are all very hard to shrug off the ball and are the complete midfielders we've been searching for.

Only downside of this window - No out out backup for Mitrovic. A winger that could play striker would have been fine, like Josh King. But we missed that opportunity.

Andersen, Adarabioyo are terrific signings, unfortunate about Andersen's injury so early.

Tete and Aina could 1 and 2 for RB.

In general, I think we recruited well barr the winger/striker situation. (Excluding permanents for Cav and Knock)

Well, to comment on what you and a couple of others have said.

these are talented players and are certainly bigger and stronger than we had before, no doubt. but I didn't really think i needed to spell out what was on my mind....
I am referring to a tough uncomprimising enforcer who does the genuinely physical stuff, ugly but necessary.  Anguissa and RLC are very talented and use that but I am talking anbout somebody that in old fashioned parlance, 'let's the opposition know he is there.' We do not have such a player and we need one.

Always grew up with the phrase 'The best defenders leave the pitch the cleanest".

If you know how to read the game and have mastered the positioning element of football - you don't have to do the uncompromising stuff like throwing yourself on the floor.

Same applies for midfielders.
@ABronsSmith

Author of 'The Craven Corner' blog - Hosted in the matchday programme, SB Nation & thecravencorner.wordpress.com

Sting of the North

Quote from: Bronaldinho on October 20, 2020, 01:47:42 PM
We have a very physical midfield IMHO - especially at the centre. Lemina, Anguissa, RLC are all very hard to shrug off the ball and are the complete midfielders we've been searching for.

Only downside of this window - No out out backup for Mitrovic. A winger that could play striker would have been fine, like Josh King. But we missed that opportunity.

Andersen, Adarabioyo are terrific signings, unfortunate about Andersen's injury so early.

In general, I think we recruited well barr the winger/striker situation. (Excluding permanents for Cav and Knock)

I am referring to a tough uncomprimising enforcer who does the genuinely physical stuff, ugly but necessary.  Anguissa and RLC are very talented and use that but I am talking anbout somebody that in old fashioned parlance, 'let's the opposition know he is there.' We do not have such a player and we need one.

Always grew up with the phrase 'The best defenders leave the pitch the cleanest".

If you know how to read the game and have mastered the positioning element of football - you don't have to do the uncompromising stuff like throwing yourself on the floor.

:plus one:

ALG01

Quote from: Bronaldinho on October 20, 2020, 01:47:42 PM

I am not sure the comment about the best being the cleanest (meaning not falling over) is one I recall. It was usually if you werre clean on a muddy day you hadn'tr really got involved.
and yest it is true if you read the game brilliantly you can reduce the amount of uncomprimising yourself on the ground
But the best team obver the years will often have a tough man in the centre of defence and/or midfield. That has been true over the years because when the going gets tough you find the more gifted players disapear. You need to stand up to the opposition, and worry them. I am a total believer in the beautiful game, the artistry, one touch football but even the best teams have tough guys, just look at real with ramos and barca with puyol was fairlky uncomprimising to name but two.
Such players are needed. It's just the way it is.

Arthur

Quote from: ALG01 on October 20, 2020, 12:23:33 PM
Quote from: Arthur on October 19, 2020, 10:15:13 PM
Apologies. I was asking for the name of a current player who, were he in our team, would satisfy your description - because those I can think of: N'Golo Kante, Hojbjerg, Fernandinho, Matic, Ndidi, are all of a calibre we cannot expect to attract, whereas we do already have Harrison Reed - whom you presumably don't consider good enough.

I would accept all thois named as acceptable but Reed is OK but I do not think he quite fits the ugly category, he does a good job but I do not think intimidates... Terry hurlock is the type of thing but with a calming measure to take account of modern rules!

I'm sure we'd all consider the players listed above to be good additions to our team; they're all playing for last season's top six, so it sort of follows they'll be more than good enough for us.

I wonder how realistic it is to expect us to have found someone better than Reed. A Terry Hurlock-like player who is more combative than Reed and yet is able to remain as level-headed as Reed while possessing a skill-set equal to or better than Reed is asking a fair bit in my opinion.

ALG01

Quote from: Arthur on October 20, 2020, 08:44:37 PM
Quote from: ALG01 on October 20, 2020, 12:23:33 PM
Quote from: Arthur on October 19, 2020, 10:15:13 PM
Apologies. I was asking for the name of a current player who, were he in our team, would satisfy your description - because those I can think of: N'Golo Kante, Hojbjerg, Fernandinho, Matic, Ndidi, are all of a calibre we cannot expect to attract, whereas we do already have Harrison Reed - whom you presumably don't consider good enough.

I would accept all thois named as acceptable but Reed is OK but I do not think he quite fits the ugly category, he does a good job but I do not think intimidates... Terry hurlock is the type of thing but with a calming measure to take account of modern rules!

I'm sure we'd all consider the players listed above to be good additions to our team; they're all playing for last season's top six, so it sort of follows they'll be more than good enough for us.

I wonder how realistic it is to expect us to have found someone better than Reed. A Terry Hurlock-like player who is more combative than Reed and yet is able to remain as level-headed as Reed while possessing a skill-set equal to or better than Reed is asking a fair bit in my opinion.

I think it was realistic. I do not think we tried and seeing as for the last few seasons we have been crying out for such a player I feel sure we might have found somebody by now. It has been a pleasure talking as always but I am going away to prepare for the palace match and am looking forward with a renewed optimisim that we might just start to compete.