watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Grinding out results

Started by res, January 22, 2021, 09:11:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

res

Burnley's last 11 games...18 points (5 wins, 3 draws, 3 defeats) although only scoring 7 goals but only conceding 5 goals. So no effective striker, but a team driven to grind out results...probably very ugly compared with our footballing style, but effective in picking up points.
So what would you prefer...Burnley's effectiveness or our (good on the eye) style ?

Tempest

Not sure we have a choice, our players are very different to theirs, Dyche has been there a few years so every player he has is suited to their system, he wouldn't fare well with his system and our players.

So, we just need to take our chances, which we are creating, easier said than done but thats all we need to do.

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk

Live in Falmouth!

Asotosyios

Good on the eye style? I don't think we play any kind of fantastic football this year.

Yes, we are harder to beat. Yes, we create some (a few) chances, but that's it. I doubt any neutral fan in search of good football would think "I can't miss the Fulham game this weekend" in contrast to Jokanovic's years, albeit under very different circumstances and division.

As for Dyche not being able to perform that well with the Fulham players, that's a big assumption. I'm sure Dyche would do a lot better with this Fulham team than Parker with this Burnley team (and I don't like either Dyche or his style of football).

Sent from my Redmi Note 8 using Tapatalk

RaySmith

I think Fulham play attractive to watch football.

Both Parker and  Slav managed Fulham in the Championship and the Prem. Were we more attractive to watch last time in the Prem under Slav than this time under Parker? Well it wasn't very   attractive to watch Fulham get hammered very week, whereas now, we are at least in with a chance in most games.
Will Parker be more successful than Slav, in keeping us up? we shall see.

Why do you think Dyche could manage this Fulham team, but Parker not  be able to manage the  Burnley side?

toshes mate

Quote from: RaySmith on January 22, 2021, 01:43:26 PM

Both Parker and  Slav managed Fulham in the Championship and the Prem. Were we more attractive to watch last time in the Prem under Slav than this time under Parker? Well it wasn't very   attractive to watch Fulham get hammered very week, whereas now, we are at least in with a chance in most games.

Why do you think Dyche could manage this Fulham team, but Parker not  be able to manage the  Burnley side?
Couldn't have put it better.  Parker may have been dealt better cards than Jokanovic but he still had to meld them into a decent hand to play with.

Asotosyios

Quote from: RaySmith on January 22, 2021, 01:43:26 PM

I was mostly referring to Jokanovic's team in the Championship, that's why I noted that it was under different circumstances and in a different division. I am not saying that this year's football is dire to watch, but it would be an exaggeration to call it attractive.

Re Dyche & Parker: I am not having a go at Parker or comparing his managerial ability to Dyche's (though I understand it looks like it). Dyche has created a well-drilled, hard-to-beat team with players of not great quality. I am sure he could do the same with Fulham's squad, which is arguably better than Burnley's. A Dyche's 4-4-2 of Areola; Aina, Anderson, Adarabioyo, Robinson; Cavaleiro, Reed, Anguissa, Lookman; Mitrovic, BDR looks like a team that could grind out results easily.

On the other hand, Parker has made Fulham difficult to beat but without big improvements results-wise; at the moment, at least. Having lower quality's players with the Burnley squad, I don't think he would be able to save them or get the same results. A Parker's 3-4-3 of: Pope; Tarkowski, Mee, Pieters; Brady, Westwood, Brownhill, Taylor; Rodriguez, Barnes, McNeil looks a no1 candidate for relegation.

This is all theoretical and subjective obviously - probably too many words to say that I disagreed with the OP style over substance comparison.

mrmicawbers

My firm is based in Manchester so a mixture of Red and Blue.The Red side were very impressed with us and our commitment.They reckon a draw was credible. Can't believe where we are in the league.

AJW48361

I think the way we play suits us playing against the better teams who in general let you play.Are BHA or WBA going to be so forthcoming? will be able to perform to that level against teams who will try and stop your flow? We will soon find out.