https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Brentford have found a new Goalscorer

Started by Only Me, October 22, 2020, 04:59:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

70sPimlico

Quote from: bog on October 22, 2020, 08:54:17 PM
Quote from: HillingdonFFC on October 22, 2020, 08:19:33 PM
Brentford just keep doing it time & time again. I said at the time I thought he was definitely worth a punt. Brentford mate days he was brilliant last night

+1. With goal scorers they go on and on finding them as well as good players in every position. Their scouting network is top quality.  :

Their underlying data model is really interesting. I actually happen to think we have done very well with the players we have recruited this time. Not only do they all appear to be an upgrade but they all seem to fit as well.

I dont pretend to have any deep understanding of the Ankersen model but from what I know the analysis is based on looking for young players in the lower clubs at not so popular leagues, usually not UK based. Essentially, underperforming younger players with potential to grow and have huge sell on value. Based almost entirely on statistical analysis.

And yes, I take my hat off to them. I do get the felling it needs to be this season they need to go up.

Anyway, enough of them. Its a huge season for us. If we can stay up (and I think we can) I think we'll grow very strong

NJFulham

Quote from: Somerset Fulham on October 23, 2020, 11:04:08 AM
I may well of missed it, but I don't recall a single mention of his name during the transfer window.
He was nailed on for Brentford barring a PL move. I don't know why.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

Only Me

Has got 10 already, Bargain for Brentford

SG

When he has done it for a season at this level then I might concede he is a valuable goalscorer. The fee was reported as going up to £10m with add ons, so hardly a bargain.
If I recall we have, if we include Tete, recruited a whole back line for less than that.

Statto

The thing is, as noted by others, he was hardly a hidden gem. Plenty on here, and I'm sure every man and his dog in the industry, was aware of him. Much like Ollie Watkins previously. I think the reality is, the PL clubs can't justify spending the time and money on these players when, coming from the lower leagues, they're still highly unlikely to turn into good PL players.

Let Brentford get their hands dirty sifting through the mud. The threshold at which someone can make an impact in their team is much lower. Then if they do turn out to be any good, the likes of us, Villa and West Ham can just come in with a £20-30m bid and take him at that stage. 

TC's Sporran

young lad at league one hull city - lewis potter is attracting  attention

following on from bowen who will face us on saturday

Sir Craven

You'll all be interested to hear that we were in for Toney and had a bid accepted along with Spurs. Apparently we wouldn't meet his wage demands and nor would Spurs. Source: Kings Lynn Town chairman - listen to his Podcast 'I Bought A Football Club' Episode 22 - right at the end

Sir Craven

1hr30mins in. He's on £35k/week off Brentford. We wouldn't match it

bobbo

1975 just leaving home full of hope

HobGoblin

The Rational Fan

Quote from: Statto on November 04, 2020, 06:57:17 PM
The thing is, as noted by others, he was hardly a hidden gem. Plenty on here, and I'm sure every man and his dog in the industry, was aware of him. Much like Ollie Watkins previously. I think the reality is, the PL clubs can't justify spending the time and money on these players when, coming from the lower leagues, they're still highly unlikely to turn into good PL players.

Let Brentford get their hands dirty sifting through the mud. The threshold at which someone can make an impact in their team is much lower. Then if they do turn out to be any good, the likes of us, Villa and West Ham can just come in with a £20-30m bid and take him at that stage.

"To the winner goes the spoils", there are about 10 Championship teams trying to find a hidden gem to get them into the premier league and/or sell on to the premier league. Those that succeed have a chance of promotion and those that fail have a chance of relegation. The rest of the teams either reply on parchuate payments team with proven players to attempt promotion or gradually building a cheap team over a long period based on teamwork.  Brentford is one of many teams attempt this strategy and one of the best, if we followed the same strategy there is no reason we won't get double relegated like other teams hve done.