watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Painful to watch...

Started by sonnyjim, October 24, 2020, 05:03:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sonnyjim

I don't even know what to say after watching the game, I'm that disappointed. The first goal was far too easy they basically walked through our defence. The way we are playing we will not stay up this season.

Possession doesn't win games so I don't know what it is with all the passing the ball backwards and passing it around the defence. When we get the ball into the final third nobody makes runs they all just stand still and wait for the ball to come to them.

I feel sorry for the players we've got in on loan because this is going to be a long, disappointing season.

I like Scott Parker but I don't think he has the experience we need. We should of changed our tactics after about 25 minutes but we kept trying the same things when it clearly wasn't working.

WolverineFFC

Quote from: sonnyjim on October 24, 2020, 05:03:04 PM
I don't even know what to say after watching the game, I'm that disappointed. The first goal was far too easy they basically walked through our defence. The way we are playing we will not stay up this season.

Possession doesn't win games so I don't know what it is with all the passing the ball backwards and passing it around the defence. When we get the ball into the final third nobody makes runs they all just stand still and wait for the ball to come to them.

I feel sorry for the players we've got in on loan because this is going to be a long, disappointing season.

The looks on FZA and RLC's faces as Lemina came off was pretty telling.

cottage expat

Agree. I'm sick of Parkerball.

I like Scott Parker but I don't think he has the experience we need. We should of changed our tactics after about 25 minutes but we kept trying the same things when it clearly wasn't working.

sonnyjim

Get the ball up the pitch, play long ball if you have to. Play Sam Allardyce football if that is what it takes to get some points. Sick of the passing bollocks where we get into a good position and pass it back.

Who actually looks at the possession stats, I mean really? It might look good as a statistic but it isn't when you never win a game. What's the point in having 60% possession every game and then losing?

Crystal Palace weren't bothered at all about us having the ball but that's probably because they can defend.

Worcesterwhite

Quote from: sonnyjim on October 24, 2020, 08:06:57 PM
Get the ball up the pitch, play long ball if you have to. Play Sam Allardyce football if that is what it takes to get some points. Sick of the passing bollocks where we get into a good position and pass it back.

Who actually looks at the possession stats, I mean really? It might look good as a statistic but it isn't when you never win a game. What's the point in having 60% possession every game and then losing?

Crystal Palace weren't bothered at all about us having the ball but that's probably because they can defend.
They let us have the Ball because we are toothless with it and do not pose a threat, then pick their moments and take them, easy 3 pts, the way the game went was easily predictable

Luka

Quote from: Worcesterwhite on October 24, 2020, 08:54:22 PM

They let us have the Ball because we are toothless with it and do not pose a threat, then pick their moments and take them, easy 3 pts, the way the game went was easily predictable
Toothless is exactly the right expression to use.IMO Mitro is the most overrated centre forward in the division.
Slow to react, slow with his feet and misses to many clear opportunities.
He has cost us 4 points and we have only played 6 games.
As you can tell., I'm not a big fan of Mitro.

Bill2

Something I posted some time back, we need to move the ball forward quicker, why is it most of our players get the ball when their back is to the goal. We need to be moving it so they get the ball on the run, we certainly have players with pace now. Harrison Reed and RLC can bring the ball forward, so this need to be coached into them and the rest of the team.
Getting very frustrated with this at the moment and it certainly isn't working.

Mr K.Dilkington

the pain is the lack of creativity and movement in the final third. And having 70%+ posession stats at times and it's all in front of two banks of four. Crying for mitrovic to make runs and some creativity. It's bizarre to think mitro and cairney don't have that subconscious link up play yet.
Foolish ham

Southdowns White

Parker may have been a good footballer at one time, he now has the whole team playing his football. Personally I don't think he has a footballing brain able to deal with players who do not play in his old position or who are unsuited to his style of football.He may be a great bloke but I really think he has somehow ended up at the deep end of the pool without his arm bands. Experience is what we need and an ability to adapt to the situation on the pitch.

bahay18

as a starting point and an absolute minimum we need to run about a lot more . work rate is just not there . so one paced . i never had townsend down as a hardworking midfielder but what a shift he put in compared to some of our lads.

sonnyjim

There is no movement off the ball either. Wouldn't mind if we were good at either defending or attacking but we aren't good at anything.

Matt10

We just can't get into a routine. I doubt we practice the way we play. I'm sure we don't just pass to Lookman square and have him take on 3 players at once, hoping for a chance on frame - yet that's how we've played the last two matches.

There is no consistency in our attack because there is no consistency in our strategy.

v Arsenal, as close to what we used last season with a 4-2-3-1. Square passes and high possession, less counters. Square passes to Mitro to hold up. 3-0 loss.

v Leeds, 4-2-3-1 again. Different lineup completely from Arsenal. This is the one match that is unlike any other because of Leeds man-marking tactics. We still play our game, but can't handle their counters. Loss 4-3.

v Aston Villa, the tweaking begins, we go to a 3-4-3 that meant we could get plenty of possession, and even more on the wings to send 40+ crosses to Mitro. Something we NEVER did last season at all. 3-0 loss.

v Wolves, switch to a 4-2-3-1 with Bryan acting as wingback more than a left winger. Best of both world with crosses from Bryan (our leader in assists last season). Anguissa and TC starting to build an understanding. Defensively transitioned back to a 5-4-1. Loss 1-0.

v Sheffield United, back to the 3-4-3 we used vs Villa, but transitioned to a 5-4-1 on Cav's side of the pitch. Completely different attacking style with Lookman being found to create, while TC and Anguissa pass square or into space on the ground. Mix of crosses and  short passing. Tied 1-1.

v Crystal Palace, a random 4-3-3 to allow Lemina into the side to help TC and Anguissa. No longer transitioning to a 5-4-1 defense, resulting in Aina to go 1v1 against Zaha, with only Anguissa to try his best to keep up. We dominate possession, but again it's back to finding Lookman to create, or Robinson to cross.

---------

We've used not only different formations, but different strategies. What's consistent is our tendency to pass the ball square and have high possession. Those are all defendable. Compare us to a team like Sheffield United, who overlap their CBs - that is an identity - what we do, is not. It doesn't give any opponent something to worry about. We have players that can hold onto the ball and can pass around the park, but because we spend so much time in getting from point A to point B - and we rinse/repeat it; it's so predictable.

I don't think our strategy will change drastically under Parker. I feel he needs to stick with one strategy, one philosophy in the right areas, and drill that down into the players. Psychological and next level belief systems are great for each indvidual, but so is repetition so that it becomes a routine. Use what has worked and build it - don't just add it to a catalogue of tactics, which just makes things more complicated.

Stick to what we've used. I personally would go with what we used vs Sheffield United because it was set up to defend against overlapping CBs, which means it was already against a number overload that's not in our favor. If we can defend that, we should be able to attend most.

1. Formation: Holding 3-4-3 with wingbacks, transition defensively to 5-4-1
2. Defensive philosophy: winger drops (based on opponent's threat) to establish 5-4-1
3. Attacking philosophy: 3-4-3 turns to a 3-4-2-1 overlap ball-side wingback

What I would add is simply to the attacking philosophy, specifically the crosses. At the moment, Mitro is the only one who gets on the end of them.

3. Attacking philosophy: at point of cross, the wingers need to swap, which will enforce a near post and far post run rather than both runners making the exact same run. It also drags another CB out of the way, or at least forces them to communicate further.

Skatzoffc

Quote from: Worcesterwhite on October 24, 2020, 08:54:22 PM

:plus one:

An easy day at the office for someone of Mr Hodgeson's skillset.

sweets from a baby.

Unfortunately we are so predictable, that any coach will use these tactics against us, and get the required result.

Ho Hum
Siblings, let us not be down on it.
One total catastrophe like this...is just the beginning !

jarv

Playing in empty stadiums does not help. I am laid up, had surgery on Friday so have watched football on tv all day for 2 days. 4 yesterday and another 4 today.

Almost ALL of the games have been painful to watch. The worst was wolves v newcastle...played at a walking pace, absolutely no pressure on anyone except in the penalty area which was rare. Newcastle afraid to leave their own half while 5 wolves players passed sideways and back in their OWN half. Supporters would not stand for it if in attendance.

Too many games like this but we never know when the exception pops up and miss a good one. Yes, Fulham make us wince right now but others are just as bad.

filham

Quote from: Southdowns White on October 25, 2020, 11:34:26 AM
Parker may have been a good footballer at one time, he now has the whole team playing his football. Personally I don't think he has a footballing brain able to deal with players who do not play in his old position or who are unsuited to his style of football.He may be a great bloke but I really think he has somehow ended up at the deep end of the pool without his arm bands. Experience is what we need and an ability to adapt to the situation on the pitch.
Problem is I suspect our players have been handpicked to play Parker Ball, ask them now to switch to an Allison style and the would look like eleven fishes out of water.