watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

£14.95 PPV may be scrapped

Started by Burt, November 05, 2020, 04:38:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Burt

Premier League clubs likely to scrap pay-per-view model for second lockdown period
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/54824860

The Premier League is likely to scrap the controversial pay-per-view method for matches after November's international window.

Clubs will instead look to devise a new solution that will cover the Christmas period.

A definitive decision was not taken at a shareholders meeting on Thursday but discussions are said to be ongoing.

However, the £14.95 fee - which led to significant protests among fan groups - is expected to be dropped.

It is understood that the model used in September, where all games were shown live by the Premier League's broadcast partners, is the likely direction of travel.

Pay-per-view remains on the table but a final decision is not expected this week.

More than £300,000 has been raised for charity by fans boycotting pay-per-view games, which were introduced in October after clubs voted 19-1 in favour of the "interim solution".

Liverpool's fan group the Spirit of Shankly labelled the decision to charge £14.95 "disgraceful", while the Football Supporters' Association said many fans were "concerned" over the price and wanted it reduced.

Newcastle owner Mike Ashley and manager Steve Bruce have said the fee for one-off matches is too high, while former Manchester United and England right-back Gary Neville, now a Sky pundit, said the system "just needs scrapping".

Pay-per-view will still be used for this weekend's fixtures, for games not selected for regular television broadcast, but whatever decision is made would come into force from 21 November and is due to last for the rest of the year.

Last month, Premier League chief executive Richard Masters said the £14.95 fee was "defensible", and the announcement of the model came at a time when top-flight clubs were lobbying for spectators to be allowed back into grounds.

However, since then England has entered a second national lockdown, which will last until 2 December, and hopes of an imminent return of fans have faded.

In September, all 28 Premier League matches were shown live, with all broadcast partners - Sky Sports, BT Sport, the BBC and Amazon Prime - screening matches.

Southcoastffc

The Mirror is saying it has been scrapped:

The Premier League has scrapped the controversial pay-per-view scheme as the country enters a second national lockdown.

All top-flight matches following last term's restart - and the first batch of this season's games - were shown across Sky Sports, BT Sport, the BBC and Amazon Prime.

But clubs and broadcasters agreed that games not initially slated to be broadcast would be available on a PPV basis at £14.95 each earlier this campaign.

Viewing figures for some of those matches, shown on Sky Sports Box Office and BT Sport Box Office, have been embarrassingly low and the scheme has now been scrapped.

As such, following the international break, all of the Premier League's games will once more be broadcast in the United Kingdom on the aforementioned existing broadcast partners.

However, the decision has only been made until the end of the year - with the possibility of a return in 2021.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/premier-leagues-controversial-ppv-scheme-22961603

The world is made up of electrons, protons, neurons, possibly muons and, definitely, morons.

FFCBadger

Does anyone know the viewing figures? Clearly they were awful but it be useful to know just how much of a horrific failure this daylight robbery attempt actually was?

It never ceases to amaze my just how stupid they think we are...?
Their assessment of the competitive landscape was also equally horrific...illegal streaming is not what it once was!!

filham

So no change for the moment, it is just a case of watch this space.
I don't begrudge paying a few pounds to watch a well presented and reliable TV viewing of a Fulham match,
My complaint is it is difficult to keep track in advance of where to locate the transmission and of the time and date of the match.

The West Ham match is Saturday with an 8pm KO but I am not yet sure where to find it, BT Sort Box Office I think ??

colham

Should be scrapping it straight away.  After having been selected for zero tv matches, we're disproportionately worse off than other fans. 

Baston White

Quote from: filham on November 05, 2020, 07:20:30 PM
I don't begrudge paying a few pounds to watch a well presented and reliable TV viewing of a Fulham match,
My complaint is it is difficult to keep track in advance of where to locate the transmission and of the time and date of the match.

The West Ham match is Saturday with an 8pm KO but I am not yet sure where to find it, BT Sort Box Office I think ??

Check out this website which gives what FFC games are on, date and which channel to find them on.
www.live-footballontv.com.
It shows game v West Ham on behind on Sport Box Office this Saturday.
15th December 19.45 v Brighton (home) on Amazon Prime.
28th December 15.00 v Spurs (away) on Amazon Prime.

Hopefully all matches will be shown free after International break following today's meeting of Premier league clubs.

BestOfBrede

Quote from: filham on November 05, 2020, 07:20:30 PM

Yep BT sports box office