watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Var v Fulham

Started by Whitesideup, November 06, 2020, 12:23:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Whitesideup

For VAR to work for you it must correct a ref's decision in your favour for a goal, penalty or offside when a marginal call; to work against you either something serious is missed  or the ref's review changes a marginal call in the opponent's favour.  Sometimes VAR works for you, sometimes against. Everyone says these incidents even themselves out over a season. Well do they? I think we are certainly 3-0 down. Have I missed any we can agree on?

1) v Leeds - at 4-3 Mitro clearly held in the box. No decision, no referral, stonewall penalty.
2) v  Sheff Utd - penalty award against Mitro - yes , strictly in the laws of the game I suppose it was a penalty, but for me a very marginal call, and not an "obvious error". I believe the ref had a good view of the incident in real time.
3) Kamara sending-off. Again, I'm not too upset about the decision itself. It's just that the ref was 5 yards away and the incident looked so much worse than it was when slowed down. He took ages looking at it. It makes the contact look longer and more severe, but although late, I don't think it was overly violent or malicious.   

Incident 3) did not have any bearing on the game and will hardly affect our season, but 1) and 2) potentially cost us 3 points.

I have not included our penalty against Sheff Utd as us getting something out of VAR. The VAR review was a formality as it was clearly and obviously a handball.

In another thread it was suggested Tosin could have given away a penalty against West Brom - but I don't recall the incident so cannot include it as a positive (ie wasn't referred when it clearly should have been). May have to review though.

I am looking forward to VAR working for us. Are we now due a couple of decisions?

jarv

Well stated. I hate this VAR thing. Clear and obvious error should take 10 seconds. If any longer it is not clear and obvious.

Personally, I would rather see a ref make a genuine error and get on with the game, better than all this nonsense. The referees and especially linesmen, look scared to make a decision now.

Liverpool lot their best defender for the season as a result of this silly rule. The flag should have gone up immediately which cold have prevented the collision.

toshes mate

Quote from: jarv on November 06, 2020, 11:20:36 AM
Clear and obvious error should take 10 seconds. If any longer it is not clear and obvious.
This in a nutshell is what VAR should be about. 

bencher

Quote from: Whitesideup on November 06, 2020, 12:23:20 AM
For VAR to work for you it must correct a ref's decision in your favour for a goal, penalty or offside when a marginal call; to work against you either something serious is missed  or the ref's review changes a marginal call in the opponent's favour.  Sometimes VAR works for you, sometimes against. Everyone says these incidents even themselves out over a season. Well do they? I think we are certainly 3-0 down. Have I missed any we can agree on?

1) v Leeds - at 4-3 Mitro clearly held in the box. No decision, no referral, stonewall penalty.
2) v  Sheff Utd - penalty award against Mitro - yes , strictly in the laws of the game I suppose it was a penalty, but for me a very marginal call, and not an "obvious error". I believe the ref had a good view of the incident in real time.
3) Kamara sending-off. Again, I'm not too upset about the decision itself. It's just that the ref was 5 yards away and the incident looked so much worse than it was when slowed down. He took ages looking at it. It makes the contact look longer and more severe, but although late, I don't think it was overly violent or malicious.   

Incident 3) did not have any bearing on the game and will hardly affect our season, but 1) and 2) potentially cost us 3 points.

I have not included our penalty against Sheff Utd as us getting something out of VAR. The VAR review was a formality as it was clearly and obviously a handball.

In another thread it was suggested Tosin could have given away a penalty against West Brom - but I don't recall the incident so cannot include it as a positive (ie wasn't referred when it clearly should have been). May have to review though.

I am looking forward to VAR working for us. Are we now due a couple of decisions?

On the Tosin incident against West Brom, I haven't reviewed it up close because there was no VAR check but in real time it looked a bit similar to the Mitro pen giveaway against Sheff Utd; a couple of players challenging for a high ball with their feet. It not being reviewed feels like a bit of a win as I suspect VAR may have turned it into a penalty (but again I've not seen it in slowmo), but the truth is it's just part and parcel of penalty box defending and I don't think it should be reviewed; this would apply to Mitro's tackle too. How many times does a defender attempt a tackle just as a striker is taking a shot, the shot is still taken and the defender then clatters into the attacker; if the shot is saved or goes wide, they never review it for a possible penalty, and I think that's no different to these incidents.

mrmicawbers

Thought initially it would help the smaller supposed clubs seems to have the opposite effect.

fulhamben

Quote from: bencher on November 06, 2020, 12:44:07 PM
Quote from: Whitesideup on November 06, 2020, 12:23:20 AM

On the Tosin incident against West Brom, I haven't reviewed it up close because there was no VAR check but in real time it looked a bit similar to the Mitro pen giveaway against Sheff Utd; a couple of players challenging for a high ball with their feet. It not being reviewed feels like a bit of a win as I suspect VAR may have turned it into a penalty (but again I've not seen it in slowmo), but the truth is it's just part and parcel of penalty box defending and I don't think it should be reviewed; this would apply to Mitro's tackle too. How many times does a defender attempt a tackle just as a striker is taking a shot, the shot is still taken and the defender then clatters into the attacker; if the shot is saved or goes wide, they never review it for a possible penalty, and I think that's no different to these incidents.
it was exactly the same as mitros and we did get away with it. our players need to change their game, if either mitro or tosin goes in with their head rather than foot, then we win a free kick for a high foot every single time no matter how close to the ball they are
CHRIS MARTIN IS SO BAD,  WE NOW PRAISE HIM FOR MAKING A RUN.