watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

NFR Bullying

Started by Andy S, November 22, 2020, 12:06:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andy S

Is it ok to bully work colleagues and people below you in the pecking order and have you been bullied in life?

Friendsoffulham

Any hint of politics here, or anything Pritti Patel related, and this post goes. Please keep to the original agenda of 'bullying at work'

Thank you ..

Statto

I've sympathy for those that experience it, if we're talking about actual "bullying", eg a deliberate campaign of continuous humiliation, ganging up on someone, undermining them, tripping them up with silly question. I've witnessed that sort of thing unfortunately.

But if we're just talking about raised voices or bad language, sorry that's not bullying, it's just passionate conversation, and some people do need to harden up a bit.

SG

In this day and age one persons clear, unequivocal, direct even forceful instruction is another persons bullying - unfortunately.
I remember once, as a newly elevated director, being 10 minutes late for a Board meeting and the CEO told me to 'go away'. A lesson learned I was never late again for a meeting but such behaviour now would be considered tantamount to intimidation bullying etc.
Some people need to toughen up

H4usuallysitting

Strangely enough - some passenger's try it, both male & female and every age....

They don't last very long in the cab....After ejecting them from the cab, I've even had the odd couple say, you don't know who I am, and over the year's one or two have asked me to hit them (true)......

I would say it's tried once or twice a year, I warn them before ejecting them.

But 99:9% of passengers are splendid.

Craven Mad

Clearly it is never okay to bully. It should go without saying, but any hint of bullying should be a disciplinary matter.

Shocking that *some* workplaces tolerate it...

Craven Mad

Quote from: SG on November 22, 2020, 07:40:08 AM
In this day and age one persons clear, unequivocal, direct even forceful instruction is another persons bullying - unfortunately.
I remember once, as a newly elevated director, being 10 minutes late for a Board meeting and the CEO told me to 'go away'. A lesson learned I was never late again for a meeting but such behaviour now would be considered tantamount to intimidation bullying etc.
Some people need to toughen up

But why do people need to 'toughen up'? Wouldn't it be a nicer world where people were understanding of lateness or, if necessary, had a polite conversation to explain the importance of promptness (etc)?

I think there's been a long-standing culture of 'manning up' in the UK, but the evidence suggests that it doesn't engender better work results and simply leads to mental health issues - surely we should all strive to create a better work environment, rather than perpetuate the misery?

PS. I don't think that what you describe would amount to 'bullying' (which I think requires a more persistent and direct line of attack on an individual) but does sound like a deliberate intention to create a culture of fear about (in this instance) lateness...

Woolly Mammoth

I remember many years ago my boss called me into his office after he had received complaints that I was intimidating other members of his staff and my own work colleagues and associates, so I stared at him until he apologised.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

Slaphead in Qatar

I've been bullied and bullied back in all the companies i have worked at.

It's sad but I've always found the office to be a jungle - survival of the fittest where people don't take any prisoners

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: H4usuallysitting on November 22, 2020, 08:00:36 AM
Strangely enough - some passenger's try it, both male & female and every age....

They don't last very long in the cab....After ejecting them from the cab, I've even had the odd couple say, you don't know who I am, and over the year's one or two have asked me to hit them (true)......

A friend of mine got sacked as a taxi driver because his customers complained that he always tried to go that extra mile.

Never forget your Roots.

bog

There always will be bullying. This has worsened with the advent of 'social' media. When we hear of a child taking their own life and then some stuffed shirt says that they have a zero tolerance of such a thing in that school that really annoys me. In many cases they do not give a damn.  :031:

092.gif 

Dr Know

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on November 22, 2020, 08:29:55 AM

A friend of mine got sacked as a taxi driver because his customers complained that he always tried to go that extra mile.
Was he taking them for a ride ?

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: Dr Know on November 22, 2020, 08:45:13 AM
Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on November 22, 2020, 08:29:55 AM

Was he taking them for a ride ?

I think he drove them round the bend.

Never forget your Roots.

Dr Know

A mate of mine got the sack whilst working on the dodgems , he claimed funfair dismissal !

rebel

Quote from: Andy S on November 22, 2020, 12:06:36 AM
Is it ok to bully work colleagues and people below you in the pecking order and have you been bullied in life?

A company, one of the biggest in the country, tried to move some co-workers, I didn't want it to happen. The company 'backed down', HR was kept busy for 12 months not knowing 'which way to turn'. I could have asked for my salary to be 'quadrupled', they would have said 'yes'. But I just wanted my 'co - workers' to stay. The regional manager and area manager had to go to the company solicitors, they were crying on their way there. 

KJS

What about the verbal and visual bullying of Lookmam on Soccer Saturday yesterday by Merson Stelling and Johnson the whole issue was totally over played to the point I have actually complained to SKY directly who in their defence have replied and will look at it🙄

Fernhurst

Only had to deal with bullying once...... I sacked the Ba****d, which in our company was still a long drawn out issue in itself.
Bullying should be dealt with ruthlessly at every level of society.
The atmosphere's fresh and the debate lively.

MJG

Quote from: Andy S on November 22, 2020, 12:06:36 AM
no its not and yes I have.
As for harden up a bit thats as bad as man up when talking about those who are having mental health issues.
Work can be challenging and yes there are times for arguments disagreements. But someone pushing their weight around in an aggressive manner or other threats to someone on an individual basis is wrong. And bullying is not also that way, sometimes its in a passive aggressive style, its not all shouting and swearing.
In times like this people are being exploited as well. Worried about having a job bosses are pushing the limits of what should be expected with the unmentioned threat of losing jobs being used.
Bullying may get short term results, but long term it just causes problems.
Just the views of a long term fan

SP

One of my old bosses had an inner group of chosen ones & the rest of us had to feed off scraps. It definately affected many of us. Someone even asked me once why he spoke to me in a different tone to his favourites.

I'd got used to it after a few years until anti-bullying initiatives became fashionable & he was retired off. I'd like to think he reflected on his actions but I doubt it. Many careers were stalled.

Woolly Mammoth

Bullying at work means harassing, offending, socially excluding someone or negatively affecting someone's work tasks. It is a gradual process in which someone is subjected to indirect and subtle forms of psychological violence ( also referred to as negative acts).
The negative behaviour is repeated in a similar way over a prolonged period of time.
Somebody exposed to bullying behaviour may end up leaving that organisation or suffering severe psychological trauma, and sadly many victims of bullying suffer in silence.

Never forget your Roots.