News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

World Cup 2018 & 2022? Should we have seen it coming?

Started by Steve_orino, December 03, 2010, 09:38:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve_orino

Just a quick thought on WC 2022...and yes, I'm disappointed with the result. 
Should we have seen it coming though?

Looking at the chart (courtesy of Wikipedia), as of World Cup 2022, a new site will have been chosen 5 out of 8 times...
Year Host
1930  Uruguay
1934  Italy
1938  France
1942 Cancelled due to World War II
1946 Cancelled due to World War II
1950  Brazil
1954  Switzerland
1958  Sweden
1962  Chile
1966  England
1970  Mexico
1974  West Germany
1978  Argentina
1982  Spain
1986  Mexixo
1990  Italy
1994  United States
1998  France
2002  South Korea /  Japan
2006  Germany
2010  South Africa
2014  Brazil
2018  Russia
2022  Qatar

Only 3(4) nations have repeated hosting the WC.  Italy 'waited' 56 years before getting another WC.  France waited 60 years.  Germany/West Germany (not technically the same Nation) waited 32 years.  Mexico have been the "luckiest" as they only waited 16 years.

Could it be 2040 before we get another WC in the USofA?  :doh:
Fulham Supporter - Est. 03/2008
"My aim is to stabilise, sustain, and have the club move forward." Shad Khan 07/2013
@Borino09

YankeeJim

We should have sent Charlie Rangle with a brown bag to see old Septic Blatter. Might hve had a chance then.
Its not that I could and others couldn't.
Its that I did and others didn't.

finnster01

Something tells me if Harry Redknapp was managing England or USA the outcome would have been vastly different.
If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you are most likely dead

duffbeer

I found this piece from Pitch Invasion interesting.  The author rated all the bids solely on how they address FIFA development goals and social responsibility.  He did this before the announcement of the winners.  

He chose:

1. Japan
2. Belgium/Netherlands.
3. USA
4. England
5. Russia
6. Qatar
7. Korea
8. Australia
9. Spain/Portugal

http://pitchinvasion.net/blog/2010/11/18/world-cup-bids-and-saving-the-world/

Declan Hill choose the same two as his overall favorites.  Considering Japan and Korea had hosted more recently and the other 2022 bidders they were up against, I dont think the US should have seen it coming.

TonyGilroy

I don't actually care where the World Cup is held but we all knew how corrupt FIFA is and we spent vast amounts of money trying to "win" votes.

We obviously didn't spend that money well enough but we knew it wasn't going to be an honest, open, vote.

Before the vote we were outraged at media attempts to expose the corruption. When we lost we complained bitterly about that corruption.

We were pathetic.

First we need honest football authorities in this country and then we could join with other honest associations to reform FIFA but that still wouldn't entitle us to hold the finals in preference to other deserving countries and regions. Corruption apart first finals for Russia and the Middle East are perfectly reasonable.

HatterDon

Quote from: Steve_orino on December 03, 2010, 09:38:20 PM
Just a quick thought on WC 2022...and yes, I'm disappointed with the result. 
Should we have seen it coming though?

Looking at the chart (courtesy of Wikipedia), as of World Cup 2022, a new site will have been chosen 5 out of 8 times...
Year Host
1930  Uruguay
1934  Italy
1938  France
1942 Cancelled due to World War II
1946 Cancelled due to World War II
1950  Brazil
1954  Switzerland
1958  Sweden
1962  Chile
1966  England
1970  Mexico
1974  West Germany
1978  Argentina
1982  Spain
1986  Mexixo
1990  Italy
1994  United States
1998  France
2002  South Korea /  Japan
2006  Germany
2010  South Africa
2014  Brazil
2018  Russia
2022  Qatar

Only 3(4) nations have repeated hosting the WC.  Italy 'waited' 56 years before getting another WC.  France waited 60 years.  Germany/West Germany (not technically the same Nation) waited 32 years.  Mexico have been the "luckiest" as they only waited 16 years.
Could it be 2040 before we get another WC in the USofA?  :doh:

The other posters may be too young to remember, but Mexico waited only 16 years because the 86 WC was supposed to be held in Colombia. Revolution broke out there, and Mexico was the only country in the Western Hempisphere who were able to drop everything and host.

I feel sorry for England, but not for the United States. The tourney needed a new site. Qatar however????
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

duffbeer

Hatter, it was my understanding that the US was considered to host the 86 WC, but FIFA wanted to punish our country for NASL using different game rules.  Does that ring any bells or is the timing with NASL totally off.  Dont remember exactly where I read that but it went into a lot of detail.  It also recounted all the demands and threats FIFA placed on the US for the 94 cup if our national team didnt perform well enough.  This included threats to pull the hosting rights even after they had awarded it, solely based on our USMNT performance.  In the end it may have helped us tremendously, but they are certainly a long way off from imposing such demands on Qatar.

Dont get me wrong, I dont feel sorry for the US - I just think it was reasonble that they bid given the 2022 competition because another WC in this country would help the cause of soccer here tremendously.  I dont really feel sorry for England either.  Russia has never had the WC,  Belgium/Netherland bid was better by numerous accouts (and they've never had it), and England will get it in 2030 for the centenial if they bid.  Fingers crossed.

HatterDon

Mo, I don't remember anything about the USA being considered as a site for the 86 WC. If it was, it certainly wasn't reported in the European edition of the Stars and Stripes [I was living in Germany at the time].

As for 94, the only thing I remembered was pledging to start our own domestic league. As far as pulling the tourney if our team didn't do well, do you mean in Italia '90? Because we royally sucked there. In any case, I don't see how they could have yanked it without massive lawsuits, or even why they'd want to.

duffbeer

Don, this article was where I read the stuff about FIFA "threats", for lack of a better word, on the US regarding the 94 world cup.  From a quick skim of it I didnt see the stuff about the 86 WC so maybe I read that somewhere else.  The article is long but you might enjoy it, some interesting history about US soccer.

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/world-cup/story/_/id/5308513/ce/us/david-vanole-esophagus-saved-us-soccer&cc=5901?ver=us

HatterDon

Quote from: duffbeer on December 10, 2010, 05:46:15 PM
Don, this article was where I read the stuff about FIFA "threats", for lack of a better word, on the US regarding the 94 world cup.  From a quick skim of it I didnt see the stuff about the 86 WC so maybe I read that somewhere else.  The article is long but you might enjoy it, some interesting history about US soccer.

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/world-cup/story/_/id/5308513/ce/us/david-vanole-esophagus-saved-us-soccer&cc=5901?ver=us

Thanks for the link. I'll buy that the team had to qualify for the 88 Olympics in order to secure the '94 WC, but only slightly. World Cups in the USA, Japan/Korea, and South Africa were all designed to elevate football to a top sport in countries where it previously wasn't. Also, there was no way that, once the decision was made in July 88 to put the 94 games in the USA, there was little way that it would be taken away. We could have defaulted, but they wouldn't have pulled it away from us. And they were NEVER going to put it in Mexico three times in 24 years.

It was a puff piece with more than a little bit of dramatic license.

duffbeer

Quote from: HatterDon on December 11, 2010, 03:30:35 AM

Thanks for the link. I'll buy that the team had to qualify for the 88 Olympics in order to secure the '94 WC, but only slightly. World Cups in the USA, Japan/Korea, and South Africa were all designed to elevate football to a top sport in countries where it previously wasn't. Also, there was no way that, once the decision was made in July 88 to put the 94 games in the USA, there was little way that it would be taken away. We could have defaulted, but they wouldn't have pulled it away from us. And they were NEVER going to put it in Mexico three times in 24 years.

I guess that means you didnt like the article then. :dft001:

Steve_orino

Quote from: duffbeer on December 14, 2010, 02:33:57 PM

I liked it Duff  :yay:
Fulham Supporter - Est. 03/2008
"My aim is to stabilise, sustain, and have the club move forward." Shad Khan 07/2013
@Borino09

HatterDon

Quote from: Steve_orino on December 15, 2010, 04:00:50 AM
Quote from: duffbeer on December 14, 2010, 02:33:57 PM

I liked it Duff  :yay:

Don't get me wrong, Mo. It was entertaining and I liked it, but it was about an entertaining character, and to make the story more interesting and relevant, the character's influence was -- shall we say -- somewhat inflated.

StevenageRoad

Now that I read the Qatar Royal Family is rumored to buy United from the Glazers, and Barcelona will have a Qatar company on their kits as a sponsor next year, I see now why they got the bid.