watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Eddie Howe

Started by sarnian, November 24, 2020, 12:07:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sarnian

Watched some of Sky football last night where Howe was the special guest.

He spoke very eloquently about his time at Bournemouth and I was very impressed how meticulous he was with training procedures and fitness levels of his squad. They would practice new dead ball situations for hours until everybody did exactly what was expected of them.

I like Parker but just feel that Howe has that extra something about him that could save us from relegation.  He says it would have to be the right job to tempt him back and a project involving avoiding relegation or bringing us straight back up in an upgraded stadium might just be the attraction he is looking for.

Whitesideup

Quote from: sarnian on November 24, 2020, 12:07:33 PM

He spoke very eloquently about his time at Bournemouth and I was very impressed how meticulous he was with training procedures and fitness levels of his squad. They would practice new dead ball situations for hours until everybody did exactly what was expected of them.

I like Parker but just feel that Howe has that extra something about him that could save us from relegation.  He says it would have to be the right job to tempt him back and a project involving avoiding relegation or bringing us straight back up in an upgraded stadium might just be the attraction he is looking for.

Bournemouth very unlucky to be relegated last season, and even though they lost some key players, notably Ramsdale, Ake and Wilson, they are doing very well back in the Championship. There's no doubting the fact that Howe is tactically very aware, and at Bournemouth the combo with Tyndall was very good. Tyndall is a different type of character, more of a man manager, maybe not quite so much of a tactician, and it will be interesting to see how they progress with him at the helm. 

Whitestone

It has been mentioned  and over again on this forum that the last two relegations saw repeated changes of manager without the desired effect. Eddie Howe clearly has something about him but the last entry on his CV says "relegated with Bournemouth" so a lot was wrong. He doesn't strike me as a manager to get a club out of a difficult situation. Apart from that we already have a manager who is making progress in difficult circumstances. Parker deserves time and support IMO. The very last thing we need right now is more instability.

Mickeyboro

We're going nowhere with Parker, it's just a question of how long it takes for us to realise it.

When we won the playoff, I agreed to give Parker a go but said: 'what do I want for Christmas? Eddie Howe.' I have seen nothing to make me change my mind...

RaySmith

Is his record as good as Felix Magath or Claudio Ranierei?
They looked great on paper, as did Martin Jol.

We have a promising young manager, who has just got us promotion on the first attempt, in his first job.

Statto

Quote from: Whitestone on November 24, 2020, 12:48:44 PM
It has been mentioned  and over again on this forum that the last two relegations saw repeated changes of manager without the desired effect. Eddie Howe clearly has something about him but the last entry on his CV says "relegated with Bournemouth" so a lot was wrong. He doesn't strike me as a manager to get a club out of a difficult situation. Apart from that we already have a manager who is making progress in difficult circumstances. Parker deserves time and support IMO. The very last thing we need right now is more instability.

+1

mrmicawbers

Not for me at the present time.

Jules

Eddie Howe wouldn't come to us anyway, especially in our current predicament. Stick with Scott and support him. There are signs we can improve and we need to compete in the mini league at the bottom and beat teams around us to stay up by the skin of our teeth this season. We need stability to achieve this.

spoonffc

If there's one mistake we should learn from last time it is this time we hold on to one manager, no matter what. If anyone can do it with this group it's Parker, chopping and changing will set us back further. The level of the competition in the premier league has never been so high. In my opinion, there are 4/5 teams that are fighting the drop and I really do think our squad, are better than three of those teams. We need to just get behind Scott, we have been improving, let's hope confidence gets up and mistakes go down.

Then at the end of the season we evaluate and consider the appointment of someone like Howe. - One thing I'm sure of though is that we hold on to Scott till the end of the season.

Lyle from Hangeland

Let's be more thoughtful... Eddie Howe is probably overrated. We won't know until he gets a mid-tier or higher job in the PL. He won't come to Fulham now because of this. He needs to prove himself with a quality club.

I am with the stability brigade. We keep Parker. He apparently man-manages the team quite well. The team is improving. Sure, he hasn't the mouth of a Jose Mourinho or Jurgen Klopp, but Alex Ferguson wasn't the greatest wordsmith himself. What I would like Fulham to do is steer clear of the typical English culture of  "Sack, sack" and give Scott some time to build a team.

filham

Quote from: Statto on November 24, 2020, 01:06:19 PM

+1
Agree, since Parker took control things have not got worse and in fact have gradually, all be it very gradually , improved.
A change of manager right now would be suicidal. Rome wasn't built in a day.

Whitesideup

I agree with Spoonffc - we should stick with Parker for the season. Perhaps even if we get relegated, depending on the level of performance. I'm not advocating Howe, but I just don't get those who decry Howe's record, and somehow imply that he is not a very good manager.  He kept the smallest team in the Premier League in that league for 5 seasons, and when relegated it was a season when they had to deal with long-term injuries to key players, hard for a side with a small squad, and even then it was by a point, and if there had been any justice, then Villa would have gone down. Remember Sheff Utd's disallowed goal?

He kept them in the football league with no money, a squad of 16 players, and a points deduction of 17 points. From there he took them up to the Premier league, (with a year off at Burnley before being bought back by Bournemouth) and romped the Championship playing great football. It's hard to overrate what he did for Bournemouth, and consequently his abilities as a coach / manager. For those who disagree, ok, that's fine, have your view, but there are those amongst us who will give credit where credit is due. 

Bronaldinho

Didn't he also make £4m a year at Bournemouth, spent a tonne of cash awfully, but because they passed it about a bit seems to get praise?

25m Lerma
19m Solanke
16m Ibe
16m Danjuma
14m Billing
12m Afobe
9m Gradel
6m Mousset
5m Murray
4m Tomlin

He's been very well paid, and Bournemouth are very well funded. I know our way of purchasing players is scrutinised due to TK. But, Eddie how had a bit input into the players he wanted, and he spent a lot of money on a lot of dross.
@ABronsSmith

Author of 'The Craven Corner' blog - Hosted in the matchday programme, SB Nation & thecravencorner.wordpress.com

SouthIslandWhite

Nope, keep Parker. I agree with pretty much all of you in this string of posts. This is not the time to suddenly run off in a completely new direction. Parker must stay.
There is only one Fulham Football Club.

sarnian

Very pleased to see the responses to my opening post with so many saying we should stick with Parker.  I deliberately phrased my post to see if there was genuine support for Parker as most posts about him seem to be negative with another post on this board having 7 pages about wanting him out.

It's good to read sensible responses on this board as opposed to the Parker hate drivel on another Fulham website.

Bassey the warrior

Quote from: sarnian on November 24, 2020, 12:07:33 PM

I said last season I'd like Howe over Parker and my feelings haven't changed.

Gezza

In the 1960's we sacked a new manager in his first post called Bobby Robson. He then went on to manage Ipswich for 16 years winning the FA Cup and Eufa Cup and keeping Ipswich in the top six for most of his time there. He left to manage England and then Barcelona amongst others. 

The Rational Fan

Quote from: Statto on November 24, 2020, 01:06:19 PM

+1

We are possibly heading for relegation, but I would keep Parker if it looks like he can make us a Premier League within three seasons (including the get relegated, promoted from the championship and stay up in the premier league). Everything, I am seeing at the moment makes me believe Parker can get this team to be "a point per game team" in the premier league. Parker needs time with these players and I doubt he has enough time this season before relegation and promotion becomes the only path forward.

clarkey

Scott Parker is a great bloke but he is not a top class manager by a very long way and probably never will be. He just does not have the mental capacity for it. He is learning on the job at Fulham, and there are plenty of people who can do better without the enormous and costly mistakes being made.Look at his selections, tactical limitations and terrible work setting up the team. We always start badly.He just is not getting the best out of this squad of players.

No one would say he did well with the squad we had last year, we  were expected to fly back up, in the end we limped up....just !

We can and should survive this year, we only need to win the games against teams around us. We should do that if the team is set up correctly.

So ask yourself seriously : Is he going to suddenly become a good manager: No. Is he potentially a great manager: No.
So decide for yourself, why are we training him up for something he is never going to be amazing at.What are we actually aiming for ?

Howe did a great job at Bournemouth, acted with integrity, discipline and intelligence.He learned at Bournemouth and would be a better manager for us now.We offer him a much better squad than he had at Bournemouth and a better club with more tradition and potential. The new stand, the rich owners, the demographic for Fulham are all streets ahead of the south coast club.

Get him in, give Howe short term and long term goals and then support him. Ditch Parker let him learn somewhere else. There will not be a ton of clubs after him.We are being very charitable to him.

We have nothing to lose as Eddie could not be worse than Scott and certainly will do better and also play good football. Each individual player will improve under Howe, Scott has totally failed to get the best out of Mitro, Cairney, StefJo, the list is endless.He has forced us to endure Cav week after week after week. Goodness why keep Scott.We have given him plenty of time and he still does not know his best team, and has wasted months employing duff tactics, poor man management and poor selection.We have shown loyalty and trust and it is not working. Time has run out, last weekend was chaotic.The first half a joke.

We are all keen to see improvement but with this squad we should be doing well. Player for player we are as good or better than most teams in the bottom half. Let's show it on the pitch.

Mickeyboro