News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Could someone explain the story behind (older fans)

Started by Fernhurst, November 26, 2020, 07:00:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fernhurst

Cliff Jones (a wonderful Welsh winger who won the double with Spurs) only played two games for us??)
His Son was on "Pointless"  ( Cliff is 84 now and still works for Spurs on match days) this evening and him and Richard briefly touched on Cliff's time with Fulham describing it as a bit of a disaster.
What happened?
The atmosphere's fresh and the debate lively.

St Eve

He was well past his best. He could still go round players but tended to go horizontal from one wing to the other. I didn't realize he only played 2 games though

Arthur

I thought he played more than just two games. I would guess he played only two at the start of the 1969-70 season before calling it a day, but I feel he must have reached double figures with us the season before when we were relegated from the old second division.

I recall reading something once in which he said he wanted to do well for us and he couldn't explain why he struggled so greatly.

colinwhite

he definitely played more than 2 games for us . 7 or 8 i ould have said. To be fair we were on our wy down and he was passed it. Stood behind the goal when he missed a sitter inat the Putney end against Oxford UTD(I think ) .Jim Barron did make a good save as I remember.

Ruislip Ray

HillingdonFFC

25 games & 2 goals over a season & a bit. Where did 2 games come from?

Colton F.C.

Cliff Jones was one of a galaxy of elderly stars in the 1960's that were passed onto Fulham by our neighbours.  The names of Johnny Byrne, Jackie Henderson, Terry Dyson and Brian Dear spring to mind although there were probably others.  The acquisitions uniformly failed to inspire and left for South Africa/non league after a modest number of appearances.

Cliff was perhaps the greatest of the Spurs double side and was a cut above the rest of those mentioned but it was still a fail.  Wikipedia has him playing 25 games which seems about right.

mrmicawbers

Quote from: HillingdonFFC on November 26, 2020, 07:39:01 PM
25 games & 2 goals over a season & a bit. Where did 2 games come from?
Remember thinking he was under going to be great and being disappointed.

Ronnief

Cliff played 28 times for Fulham scoring 2 goals. I remember seeing him play for us but he was well past his best. 092.gif   

bill taylors apprentice

My memory of Cliff Jones playing for us was him always giving 100% effort and his ability being higher than many of his teammates.

filham

In those days we were quite good at picking up older players that had made a big name for themselves at big clubs but Cliffe Jones who was magic for a long time at Spurs never succeeded at Fulham.

mrmicawbers

Quote from: filham on November 26, 2020, 08:09:52 PM
In those days we were quite good at picking up older players that had made a big name for themselves at big clubs but Cliffe Jones who was magic for a long time at Spurs never succeeded at Fulham.
Budgie Byrne not being one obviously but around the same time I seem to remember

Jamie88

RaySmith

I think Budgie Byrne was bit before  Cliff, but of that 60's era. I remember him well at Fuham, since he'd been an early hero of mine at Palace, where I watched my first pro games with my parents, then in Div 4.

He had an illustrious career, an England international, and came to us from West ham. but was overweight, and past his best at Fulham.
I remember jackie Henderson, ex-Arsenal, well, he was first team regular at inside forward, for  quite a bit in the early 60's, I seem to remember, and was still a pretty good player.
'
Other ex-Arsenal  players were winger Peter Marinello,  once   described as the 'new George Best', but didn't do much in the short time he was at Fulham, and Peter Storey, who was quite  effective, i remember -a real midfield hardman, who'd won the Double with Arsenal. These days he'd be  sent off after  five minutes!

Remember  Brain Dear  quite well too, quite tubby, not a bad player, or is my memory fooling me?  ex -West Ham wasn't he? while Terry Dyson was another ex-Spus player, and a Double winner with them, like Cliff Jones.

Peabody

According to to the Fulham bible, Cliff played 23 league games and two League cup games and scored 2 goals.

Stevieboy

I remember an evening game where Brian Dear came out with the wrong colour socks to the rest of the team and changed them on the pitch before the start !

sunburywhite

Budgie Byrne (68-69) was same time as Cliff Jones (68-70)
Remember you are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
I will be as good as I can be and when I cross the finishing line I will see what it got me

sunburywhite

Prior to them we also had Mark "Pancho" Pearson (65-68) who played 58 times and scored 7 goals

Pearson joined Fulham and played a pivotal role in the club's escape from relegation in the 1965–66 season. Fulham seemed doomed until a 2–0 win against Liverpool, runaway league leaders and eventual champions, in which Ian St John was sent off for punching Pearson, sparked them into a sequence of 10 wins from their last 13 matches

I remember that punch, imagine it happening now with all their handbags?
Remember you are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
I will be as good as I can be and when I cross the finishing line I will see what it got me

Fernhurst

Thank you all so much for your recollections.

Frustrating, I can remember Dyson, Dear, Byrne, Pearson etc very well but Jones time with us has fallen through the net.
The atmosphere's fresh and the debate lively.

mrmicawbers

Quote from: sunburywhite on November 27, 2020, 10:01:41 AM
Prior to them we also had Mark "Pancho" Pearson (65-68) who played 58 times and scored 7 goals

Pearson joined Fulham and played a pivotal role in the club's escape from relegation in the 1965–66 season. Fulham seemed doomed until a 2–0 win against Liverpool, runaway league leaders and eventual champions, in which Ian St John was sent off for punching Pearson, sparked them into a sequence of 10 wins from their last 13 matches

I remember that punch, imagine it happening now with all their handbags?
The Original great escape Sunbury,thanks for the reminder