https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

NFR Buying British

Started by mrmicawbers, November 26, 2020, 09:44:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

H4usuallysitting

I bought my Chinese cab in England

HV71

Gusbourne fizz is incredibly good  - Brut reserve has been purchased for this Christmas  - though the Blans de blancs is also impressive. Denbies in Dorking produce some great wine - the Pinot gris is one of my favourites

Milo

Quote from: Slaphead in Qatar on November 26, 2020, 07:44:34 PM
Quote from: Milo on November 26, 2020, 04:12:50 PM
I always get British made cheese in Waitrose etc as I'm interested and have an affinity towards the various places eg today bought Colbert Basset Stilton from Notts as I spent 5 years there.

I've also been shopping in the local butchers and going to the farmers market each week.. but that's partly because we don't have a supermarket in Blackheath... so I don't really have a choice haha.

I live near Blackheath. If you like cheese try Chislehurst farmers market. Italian guy there who sells loads of different types of cheese. Chislehurst farmers market is every 3rd Sunday of the month when not in lock down

Perhaps they have a stall at the BH Farmers market every Sunday? Can you remember the name of the stall?

filham

Quote from: Holders on November 26, 2020, 04:06:43 PM
Quote from: filham on November 26, 2020, 03:06:37 PM
Lots of reasons why we should all buy British and perhaps one of the best is to save fuel emissisions due to transport costs.

The company I worked for was taken over by one on our leading water companies and it was made clear that the chairman threatened dismissal to anyone having bottled water on their desk.

Never understood how bottled water water sells so well when water treated to high European standards is delivered to every household and is available on tap. The only difference in taste is that a slight whiff of chlorine may be detectable in the tap water which can be easily removed with a carbon filter. The tap water is of course British while the bottled water can come from the other side of the world.

Quite right - the shorter the supply chain the better for the environment.

In a previous job I was on the corporate environmental committee for a FTSE 100 company. It was the '90s so that was quite radical for its time. Anyway, it was considered that the most environmentally damaging thing that the company did with its fleets of ships and lorries was to transport vast quantities of bottled water from country to country. The next was bringing wine from the other side of the globe.

Slaphead in Qatar

Quote from: Milo on November 26, 2020, 07:58:31 PM
Quote from: Slaphead in Qatar on November 26, 2020, 07:44:34 PM
Quote from: Milo on November 26, 2020, 04:12:50 PM
I always get British made cheese in Waitrose etc as I'm interested and have an affinity towards the various places eg today bought Colbert Basset Stilton from Notts as I spent 5 years there.

I've also been shopping in the local butchers and going to the farmers market each week.. but that's partly because we don't have a supermarket in Blackheath... so I don't really have a choice haha.

I live near Blackheath. If you like cheese try Chislehurst farmers market. Italian guy there who sells loads of different types of cheese. Chislehurst farmers market is every 3rd Sunday of the month when not in lock down

Perhaps they have a stall at the BH Farmers market every Sunday? Can you remember the name of the stall?

They don't have a stall at Blackheath farmers market - I know because I go to Blackheath farmers market also.

Hatch007

Quote from: john dempsey on November 26, 2020, 05:01:34 PM
I buy all my British produce from ALDI.
Anglo/German relations and all that.
Plus I find Frau Merkel extremely attractive.

You shoulda gone to Specsavers 🧐

Woolly Mammoth

You haven't seen her first thing in the morning.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

Jim©

I literally couldn't be so small minded to choose products on a political basis.
I will continue to shop in local shops and independent stores down here in Devon as they need my trade.

On another point, my dutch cousin works as a lawyer for the government. Last year they were told to cease contract buying (tarmac, safety barriers on motorways were the examples he gave) from the UK as they should buy from within EU. Anyone thinking this change will be a walk in the park is misguided and listened too much to the government that was being played along by the now, thankfully departed, Cummings & Cain show.

Statto

Quote from: Jim© on November 27, 2020, 09:27:29 AM
I literally couldn't be so small minded to choose products on a political basis.
I will continue to shop in local shops and independent stores down here in Devon as they need my trade.

On another point, my dutch cousin works as a lawyer for the government. Last year they were told to cease contract buying (tarmac, safety barriers on motorways were the examples he gave) from the UK as they should buy from within EU. Anyone thinking this change will be a walk in the park is misguided and listened too much to the government that was being played along by the now, thankfully departed, Cummings & Cain show.

This is a thread about the products we buy in the UK.

Whether other countries buy our tarmac or other products won't affect what we can buy here in the UK and isn't really relevant, except that it sort of reinforces the idea that we should endeavour to 'buy British' if we wish to respond in kind.

Southdowns White

Down here in Sunny Sussex we have so many vineyards and local produce makers, the local producers sell at the local markets, I also buy my fresh fish at the local markets. We do use supermarkets for basic products we would be mad not to,  supporting our local producers even if it can be a little more expensive gives us great food to help embellish our lives. Anyone after some fantastic English sparkling wine for Christmas and the New year should check out Wiston estate wines, beautiful wines although as you might expect a little on the expensive side.  https://www.wistonestate.com/  I don't work for them or have any links to them.

Holders

It doesn't need to be political - the length of the supply chain and pollution miles is sufficient reason.
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

mrmicawbers

Ha Ha Why bring your politics into it then?

Jim©

Quote from: mrmicawbers on November 27, 2020, 11:02:48 AM

Perhaps I misinterpreted your "I don't remember me actively pursuing that train of thought until fairly recently.It's obvious what's driving it." as a bit of politics.

mrmicawbers

Quote from: Jim© on November 27, 2020, 12:55:39 PM

Perhaps I misinterpreted your "I don't remember me actively pursuing that train of thought until fairly recently.It's obvious what's driving it." as a bit of politics.
Yes i did realise that obviously but wondered why you wanted to put your tuppence worth in if you objected to it that much

Holders

Quote from: filham on November 26, 2020, 08:23:59 PM
Quote from: Holders on November 26, 2020, 04:06:43 PM
Quote from: filham on November 26, 2020, 03:06:37 PM
Lots of reasons why we should all buy British and perhaps one of the best is to save fuel emissisions due to transport costs.

The company I worked for was taken over by one on our leading water companies and it was made clear that the chairman threatened dismissal to anyone having bottled water on their desk.

Never understood how bottled water water sells so well when water treated to high European standards is delivered to every household and is available on tap. The only difference in taste is that a slight whiff of chlorine may be detectable in the tap water which can be easily removed with a carbon filter. The tap water is of course British while the bottled water can come from the other side of the world.

Quite right - the shorter the supply chain the better for the environment.

In a previous job I was on the corporate environmental committee for a FTSE 100 company. It was the '90s so that was quite radical for its time. Anyway, it was considered that the most environmentally damaging thing that the company did with its fleets of ships and lorries was to transport vast quantities of bottled water from country to country. The next was bringing wine from the other side of the globe.

Right, Mr. Filham.

I shouldn't think that anyone wants the smell of chlorine from their tap water but, as you say, it's easy to filter that out - or just put it in the fridge and the cold drives it out of solution. In tests, most tap water has been found to contain as many minerals as most water from "sources". There's certainly no need to transport fresh water from anywhere distant; most areas of the UK have local spring water available. Plastic bottles are, of course, an environmental outrage but most spring water vendors offer takeaway in your own containers. There are places where you can get it free anyway, e.g. Hascombe near Godalming and any Fulham fan who cares to turn up here can have Exmoor spring water free of charge!
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

Jim©

Quote from: mrmicawbers on November 27, 2020, 01:03:38 PM

Yes i did realise that obviously but wondered why you wanted to put your tuppence worth in if you objected to it that much

Isn't that the idea of a chat forum????

mrmicawbers

Quote from: Jim© on November 27, 2020, 02:20:28 PM
Quote from: mrmicawbers on November 27, 2020, 01:03:38 PM

Isn't that the idea of a chat forum????
Of course Jim.But idea bit like complaining about some body swearing and throwing a few F words at the end.

Milo

john dempsey

Quote from: Hatch007 on November 27, 2020, 08:34:31 AM

You shoulda gone to Specsavers 🧐
Specsavers say my eyesight is perfect
just that my taste in women is S**T.