Sparky Says Only One Bad Half All Season

Started by White Noise, December 03, 2010, 10:42:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

White Noise

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_6551694,00.html

Hughes - We must be clinical

Boss believes Fulham must take any chances at Emirates

Last updated: 3rd December 2010

Fulham boss Mark Hughes insists his side must be clinical in front of goal if they are to cause another upset at the Emirates.

Arsenal have slipped to shock defeats to West Brom, Newcastle and Tottenham at the Emirates this term but still sit in third place in the league.

The Cottagers have never claimed an away win at Arsenal and Hughes believes his side must take full advantage of any opportunities that come their way.

He said: "I have probably seen Arsenal more times this season than any other team in fairness.

"The quality they have on occasions is excellent.

"At times, defensively, they have been caught out. We will use that as a positive.

"There is no doubt in my mind that we can create situations that will ask questions of them.

"It is up to us to take the chances that present themselves."

Title hopes
Despite having lost as many home games as any side in the division, Hughes refuses to write off Arsenal's title hopes.

"Chelsea have been pegged back and (Manchester) United, obviously, will always challenge, you feel," he said.

"Arsenal would hope that this year they would show some progress in terms of challenging for the title.

"It doesn't seem as if any one side at the top wants to grab the opportunity and run away with the league this year.

"Arsenal, I would imagine within their own confines, would think they've got a hell of a chance."

Fulham currently sit just a point - and place - outside the drop zone having won just twice in their 15 league games to date.

But Hughes, whose side have been without star forwards Bobby Zamora, Andy Johnson and Moussa Dembele for much of the season, refuses to get too downhearted.

He said: "We have probably had just one poor 45 minutes in a 15-game season to this point, which is not too bad.

Defensive record
"We were disappointed with what we produced against Man City in the first half but, apart from that, we have been competitive in every game and our defensive record is decent.

"We are equal fifth in the Premier League in terms of goals conceded. But we are missing key strikers.

"A number of clubs have injuries as well so we are not going to hide behind it but obviously it is a factor."

He added: "We are working hard but it is difficult this year. Everyone is very close in the Premier League.

"Teams are taking points and winning games when you don't expect them to, so the mid-table is very condensed.

"We obviously are at the lower end of that table but one or two wins back to back very quickly moves you to the other end."

Fernhurst

Just take your medicine Sparky and get out of there with some dignity.

SmithyFFC

He obviously didnt watch the Villa home game.
FTID

RidgeRider

I like that he has at least at some level, tried to not use injuries as an excuse. I believe many of us supporters have blamed too much of our troubles on injuries, which to me is code for Zamora is out. As has been mentioned, that we are not a very deep club if one player makes the difference between top 10 and close to relegation but it appears that is the case to a large degree.

Hughes is right to say, other clubs have significant injuries as well and you can't use that as an excuse forever, but you have to push on, adapt, and start to play well and win matches again. Maybe not this week but I fear we need 6 points this month to stay out of deep trouble.

Lighthouse

West Brom,Villa,City were all poor displays. His backroom staff have taken too long to know what our players can do and where to do it. But for all the reasons we know about he has some excuse for the way things are going. But patience will run out sooner rather than later. There is no way with the investment of all the new staff that Hughes will not be given every chance. My worry is that Big Al will rightly point out the extra inverstment in coaches was supposed to stop the over reaching in the tranfer front.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope