watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Saturday Fulham Stuff (04/12/10)...

Started by WhiteJC, December 04, 2010, 07:34:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

http://www.ealinggazette.co.uk/sport/football-ealing/fulham-fc-ealing/2010/12/03/pantsil-wants-to-be-fulham-wideboy-64767-27763395/?

Pantsil wants to be Fulham wideboy

JOHN Pantsil intends to try his luck as a right-winger if it gets him into the Fulham team.

The Ghana World Cup player is deadly serious when he claimed he could move up from his normal right-back position. And he was just as straight-faced when he revealed he wants to end his career at Craven Cottage.

The 29-year-old made his first appearance in nearly two months when he came on as a first-half sub in the 1-1 draw against Birmingham at the weekend after a torrid time in the wilderness.

Pantsil's contract is also up at the end of the season. But the player has vowed to try and win another – even if the right-back spot has Stephen Kelly and Chris Baird equally determined to make it their own.

Pantsil said: "I can play other positions – and you can't be selfish about where you want to play. I can play right wing if wanted, as well as centre-back.

"But I think I have a future here at Fulham. When I came here I said to myself here's a club where I want to finish my career, or finish my contract in the UK. But I still have to keep going and fight for a position."

WhiteJC

http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=223605

Fulham - More on Schwarzer!
Having secured the services of Mark Schwarzer with a much welcomed contract extension, Mark Hughes has taken time out to talk to the press about the situation.

In a frank interview, ahead of our difficult trip to Arsenal, a possible destination for Schwarzer before the contract extension was signed, Hughes had this to say,

"I think it`s always been there. But we`ve obviously talked at length with Mark and made it quite clear that we want him to be here and thankfully that`s going to happen."

"He understood it was an opportunity and he wanted to investigate it."

"Mark was keeping his options open and he had every right to do that."

"It wasn`t possible to allow it to happen and we were in a position to do hat. He was obviously very flattered, I think, by the interest."

"But he understands what we provide here. Think now it`s all concluded he`s absolutely happy and we can all move on."

Now have a 'stormer` on Saturday Mark and show Arsenal what they are missing!

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=223605#ixzz177t8GnXa

WhiteJC

http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/matchprere.asp?a=223606

Arsenal v Fulham Preview!
Fulham make the short journey to N5 to take on Arsenal this Saturday. Having not won on the road for an eternity you`d think going to the Emirates Stadium would fill us with fear, but you`d be wrong. Arsenal`s recent record suggests that the Emirates is far from a fortress with Arsene Wenger`s side having lost their last three Premier League fixtures there!

Vital Quotes:
Despite their apparently dodgy home form, Arsenal, under the guidance of Arsene Wenger, remain in good spirits and the Frenchman gave us an indication of how strong the spirit is within their camp by remarking to the media,

"We are in a strong position in every single competition - that means overall, the attitude is right, the spirit of the squad is right."

I guess we`ll find out on Saturday will we not!

Arsenal Team News:
Arsenal go into this fixture knowing they have to get a result in the Champions League, in midweek, to qualify for the knockout stages, but Arsene will be reluctant to rest too many of his senior stars as he already has a squad hit by injury.

Definitely missing will be Diaby, the very influential Fabregas, Frimpong and Vermaelen whilst Nasri and Squillaci are both rated as doubtful

Player to watch: Jack Wilshere
Just so I can see what all the fuss is about, the lad may have talent but he`s yet to convince me he`s the real deal!

Fulham Team News:
Mark Hughes takes his side to the Emirates on the back of taking only one point out of six in two consecutive away games.

Beaten by Manchester City and held to a draw by Birmingham, Mark will be hoping that some of his walking wounded recovers in sufficient time to feature against one of the title favourites.

Definitely out though are long term casualties - Philippe Senderos and Bobby Zamora and Mark will also have to do without Salcido, Dembele, Halliche and Stoor

However, Andrew Johnson is likely to return after a slight hamstring injury saw him rested last weekend.

Player to watch: Mark Schwarzer
The scene is set for the Australian to have a great game and show Arsene Wenger what he missed out on!

Match Facts & Stats
The odds on a Fulham win do not look that good. The history books show that in 23 games away to Arsenal we`ve yet to win with Arsenal winning 20 and with 3 being drawn.

Couple that fact that it is 25 matches since we registered an away win, in the Premier League, and you can see what the bookmakers make Arsenal clear favourites to win!

Ref Watch:
The man in the middle will be Chris Foy who will be ably assisted by Darren Cann and Bob Pollock with Mark Halsey patrolling the technical areas.

Match Prediction:
Can Arsenal really lose four Premier League homes games this side of Christmas? Their recent form would suggest it is a possibility. But are we the team to inflict that fourth defeat after having not own away from home for so long I fear not! The best I fear we can hope for is a draw!

Next Fixtures:
After visiting the Emirates Stadium our next Premier League fixture will see us entertain Sunderland next weekend.

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/matchprere.asp?a=223606#ixzz177tVzFij

WhiteJC

http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archive/arsenal-v-fulham-advice-for-supporters?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+arsenal-news+%28News+Feed%29

Arsenal v Fulham - Advice for supporters

Like the many supporters coming to Saturday's Barclays Premier League match against Fulham, the Club is closely monitoring the London weather conditions over the next 24 hours.

At 4.15pm on Friday, the Club is confident that the match will go ahead.

The situation is being continually assessed by Club officials and any relevant updates will be communicated on Arsenal.com.

Supporters are advised to check Arsenal.com before they travel.

Please do give yourselves extra time and take care with your journeys. Also, temperatures during the match are sure to be very cold, so please do wrap up warm.

WhiteJC

http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2010/December/Retailoffer.aspx?

Exclusive retail offer

Get your hands on a fantastic retail offer this weekend and enjoy some board game fun over the festive season.

Exclusive £10 off Monopoly – normally £29.99

The classic board game of trading takes on a new twist in this new official Fulham FC edition! Tour

Fulham FC for the hottest properties; players, legends and stands are all up for grabs. Invest in real estate and stadia, and then watch the rent come pouring in! Make deals with other players and look out for bargains at auction. Stay sharp – because there's only room at the top for one. For everyone else – there's bankruptcy! For 2 – 8 players, ages 8 upwards – Fulham monopoly makes a great gift for any Whites fan!

Monopoly provides great fun for the whole family and can also make a great stocking filler for all those Fulham fans in your life!

Why not check out our great Christmas selection and find that extra special gift today?

Browse our Christmas Gifts Range

Don't forget, keep an eye on the fulhamfc.com main retail page for daily deals every weekday and special offers all weekend long in the run up to Christmas.

Buy yours before this offer runs out!

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2010/December/Retailoffer.aspx?#ixzz177uY5PCL

WhiteJC

http://www.teamtalk.com/fulham/6551581/Hughes-sees-reasons-for-optimism?

Hughes sees reasons for optimism

Mark Hughes wants Fulham to capitalise on Arsenal's defensive frailty if they are to stand a chance of a first ever away win over the Gunners.

The Gunners have lost their last two Premier League home games and three of their last five in what has been a frustrating start to the season in front of their own fans.

West Brom, Newcastle and Tottenham have all recorded shock victories at the Emirates Stadium but a Fulham win after more than a century of trying would arguably be the biggest surprise of the lot.

Hughes is under no illusions about the task at hand but has seen enough weaknesses in Saturday's opponents to convince him his side can cause an upset and end a winless away run that stretches all the way back to the start of last term.

"I have probably seen Arsenal more times this season than any other team in fairness," he said.

"The quality they have on occasions is excellent.

"At times, defensively, they have been caught out. We will use that as a positive.

"There is no doubt in my mind that we can create situations that will ask questions of them.

"It is up to us to take the chances that present themselves."

Despite having lost as many home games as any side in the division, Arsenal are only two points behind leaders Manchester United and Hughes is refusing to write off their title hopes.

"Chelsea have been pegged back and United, obviously, will always challenge, you feel," he said.

"Arsenal would hope that this year they would show some progress in terms of challenging for the title.

"It doesn't seem as if any one side at the top wants to grab the opportunity and run away with the league this year.

"Arsenal, I would imagine within their own confines, would think they've got a hell of a chance."

Fulham's concerns lie at the other end of the table, with Hughes having registered only two wins from 15 league games since taking charge.

The Cottagers have lost just four of the remaining matches but have been undone by a series of damaging draws and could find themselves joint bottom by the end of the weekend.

Hughes, whose side have been without star forwards Bobby Zamora, Andy Johnson and Mousa Dembele for much of the season, said: "We have probably had just one poor 45 minutes in a 15-game season to this point, which is not too bad.

"We were disappointed with what we produced against Man City in the first half but, apart from that, we have been competitive in every game and our defensive record is decent.

"We are equal fifth in the Premier League in terms of goals conceded. But we are missing key strikers.

"A number of clubs have injuries as well so we are not going to hide behind it but obviously it is a factor."

He added: "We are working hard but it is difficult this year. Everyone is very close in the Premier League.

"Teams are taking points and winning games when you don't expect them to, so the mid-table is very condensed.

"We obviously are at the lower end of that table but one or two wins back to back very quickly moves you to the other end."

WhiteJC

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_6551598,00.html?

Wenger keeping with keepers
Arsenal boss rules out January transfer swoop

Arsene Wenger insists Arsenal are not in the market for signing a new goalkeeper in January.

The Gunners were heavily linked with a swoop for Fulham's experienced shot-stopper Mark Schwarzer in the summer.

But the veteran Australian international, who will face Wenger's side at the Emirates on Saturday, has recently signed a new two-year deal with the Cottagers.

Wenger is pleased Schwarzer has got a new deal and insists he is not looking for another keeper, with Lukasz Fabianski putting in good performances since Manuel Almunia's injury, while youngster Wojciech Szczesny has not conceded in 270 minutes of first-team action.

The French tactician told Arsenal's official website: "No (I will not be signing any new players unless there is injury), I came out already on that.

"That (Almunia's injury) will not be for a long time, we have Szczesny coming up very quickly and we have Fabianski who has proven in the last two months that he has the quality.

"At the moment we are not on the market."

Understand decision

Wenger says he can understand why 38-year-old Schwarzer opted to sign a two-year deal with the Cottagers.

"I can understand that decision," he said.

"At his age a two-year contract is a great deal for him and it shows great confidence of the club for him. I don't have a problem with that.

"It is important that we focus on our players and the squad we have. I am pleased for him (Schwarzer) that he got an extension to his contract but all the rest is history that has to be a little bit discreet."

WhiteJC

http://cravencottagenewsround.wordpress.com/2010/12/03/neil-etheridge-saves-the-day-in-hanoi/?

Neil Etheridge saves the day in Hanoi
Filed under: General — timmyg 
Let's turn our attention away from the vanity and avarice of yesterday's proceedings and focus on actual football.

You may not be aware, but young gun Neil Etheridge is currently in Vietnam goaltending for the Philippines in the 2010 AFF Suzuki Cup, formerly known as the ASEAN Cup. And yesterday he made several saves in the "RP Booters" 1-1 draw with local powerhouse Singapore.

Thankfully there are highlights for this match, and to say Etheridge was the difference may be an understatement. Be sure to watch the entire 4-minutes to catch all his clutch saves.

AFF Suzuki Cup 2010 Singapore vs Philippines 1 - 1 [HD]

Southeast Asia may be a, sigh, "footballing backwater", but the RP Booters were drawn with tournament favorites Vietnam, Singapore, and Mynamar after making the tournament through qualification (not an AQ). So yesterday's draw was huge for the tiny nation that didn't even enter qualification for the 2010 World Cup (choosing instead to focus on smaller tournaments such as this). And to think our boy helped immensely, well, it brings a smile to your face doesn't it?

The Philippines return to action on Sunday (or Saturday for us?) when they play Vietnam. Oh, and some other random fact: Etheridge, despite being just 20 years old, already has 14 caps.

Come On You White!

WhiteJC

http://www.tribalfootball.com/articles/fulham-consider-coaching-role-keeper-schwarzer-1296931?

Fulham consider coaching role for keeper Schwarzer

Fulham boss Mark Hughes will consider handing Mark Schwarzer a coaching role at with the Cottagers after the stopper finally ended speculation about his future by signing a new two-year contract.

Hughes would also be willing to give Schwarzer his big break in coaching, saying: "If that's something he wants to pursue in the future, I would certainly be receptive to enabling him to possibly start his coaching career and see how it develops.

"That would be an option for him, I'm sure."

The 38 year old looked certain to leave after expressing a desire to join Arsenal, and his u-turn speaks volumes for new manager Hughes' powers of persuasion.

Hughes said: "I just sat him down and said, for myself and for Fulham to be successful, I need Mark Schwarzer here.

"That's basically it, in black and white terms.

"He's an outstanding keeper and has been for many, many years.

"He understands the Premier League, he understands what it's all about and we're a better team when Mark Schwarzer's playing.

"It was very easy from my point of view to construct an argument because it's there for everybody to see."

Schwarzer told the club's official website: "Since I joined the club in 2008, we have enjoyed a great deal of success and I believe Mark Hughes and the team will build on this success over the forthcoming seasons and continue the club's progress."

WhiteJC

http://www.fanhouse.co.uk/2010/12/03/arsenal-v-fulham-preview-im-not-worried-about-home-form-we/?

Arsenal v Fulham Preview: 'I'm Not Worried About Home Form' - Wenger

Fulham will arrive at the Emirates Stadium without an away win all season and a fear that, should results elsewhere go against them, they could find themselves in the relegation places.

Arsenal, in third place but level on points with second-place Chelsea, are regarded as huge favourites to add another three points to their total and Arsene Wenger, the manager, has gone on the record stating he does not intend to add to his squad next month, unless injuries bite particularly hard, so satisfied is the Frenchman with his current charges

That has surprised many Arsenal fans who fear the club is particularly light in the goalkeeping department, with current incumbent Lukasz Fabianski now being challenged by Manuel Almunia.

Wenger made a concerted effort to sign Fulham's Mark Schwarzer in the summer but the Cottagers steadfastly blocked their approach. And any hopes Wenger had of resurrecting the deal in January were dashed by news that the Australian had committed himself to his current employers until 2012.

"I'm delighted to have finally signed a contract extension with Fulham after a great deal of speculation surrounding my future in recent months," Schwarzer said. "The club, manager and team have all highlighted their desire to see me stay at the Cottage and after successful negotiations I can confirm that my future is with Fulham."

Key Match-up: Fabianski v Schwarzer. All eyes will be on each keeper for this one following Schwarzer's contract revelations. Pole Fabianski - Flappyhandski to his critics - hasn't always impressed since Almunia was sidelined.

Form Guide: Arsenal have won their last two games - 4-2 at Aston Villa in the Premier League and 2-0 at home to Wigan in the Carling Cup since losing at home to Tottenham in the league and then in Braga in the Champions League. Fulham have won just twice in 15 Premier League outings and have picked up just five points away from home. And if you take a longer view, an away win is even more unlikely as Fulham have never won at Arsenal, with their first unsuccessful attempt dating back to 1914.

Odds: Arsenal 2/7, Fulham 11/1, Draw 17/4.

ARSENAL:
Arsenal's home record has been anything but formidable this season with just 12 of their 29 points secured at the Emirates Stadium, a record that prompted Wenger to concede his side's away form has kept them in title contention.

"I think at the moment our away results have got us in a situation where we can get comfort in the table," said the Arsenal manager

"Our away form got us in a good position in the table but of course we want our home form from now to take off. If we can combine the two we have a good chance and that is our target.

"I don't worry about it because you win football games when you play well nine times out of ten. Against Tottenham for example we played well but we didn't win.

"Let's just focus on playing well and the other thing psychologically is that we won on Tuesday night and we won the game before against Aston Villa, so it will be down to the quality of our performance tomorrow."

The Gunners' home record should improve when Robin van Persie is back to full fitness. Wenger will resist the temptation to start the Holland forward against Fulham but is already looking forward to pairing van Persie with Marouane Chamakh.
"We can play Chamakh and Van Persie together," he said. "We can play Chamakh up front and Van Persie behind. What is interesting is that we can play all kinds of formations with the two.

"I am pleased because Van Persie is getting stronger every day. He had 70 minutes the other night [against Wigan] and I am confident that if we can get him injury-free in the next three weeks he will be back to his best level."
Strategy: Don't expect to witness anything new from Arsenal. They will keep possession for long periods and try to unpick the Fulham defence. The knowledge that the visitors are short of attacking options at the moment may even tempt Wenger to push his full-back and midfield men even further forward than usual to try and turn that possession into goal.

Injury Update: Samir Nasri and Sebastien Squillaci have recovered from knee injuries and will be in Wenger's squad, but he is without Cesc Fabregas (hamstring), Abou Diaby (ankle) and Thomas Vermaelen (achilles). Almunia remains doubtful with an elbow injury.

FULHAM:
Winger Zoltan Gera is delighted Schwarzer has decided to end all the talk of him going to Arsenal.

"He's a top-class keeper, not just in this country but all over the world," the Hungary international said. "We're so happy to have him and we're happy to play with him and of course it's great to keep him here."

Schwarzer, 38, admitted the Arsenal game had been the perfect opportunity to make a statement. "I'm delighted to have finally signed a contract extension with Fulham after a great deal of speculation surrounding my future in recent months. I have enjoyed two memorable years at the club so far and I am now looking forward to many more."

Manager Mark Hughes explained how he had convinced the player he was essential to the Fulham cause. "I just sat him down and said, for myself and for Fulham to be successful, I need Mark Schwarzer here," he said.

"He's an outstanding keeper and has been for many, many years. He understands the Premier League, he understands what it's all about and we're a better team when Mark Schwarzer's playing. It was very easy from my point of view to construct an argument because it's there for everybody to see."

Strategy: Fulham will attempt to frustrate the Gunners with negative tactics in the hope of catching them on the break. That's the traditional ploy used by visitors to the Emirates Stadium and this season there have been success stories, with Spurs, West Bromwich and Newcastle each coming away with all three points.

Not that Hughes will not put any attacking players on the field of course - the Welshman is expected to go with both the fit-again Andy Johnson and USA World Cup star Clint Dempsey. "We feel that we have strengths that we intend to play to because if you don't do that then you have got no chance," Hughes said. "We have things that can do as a group that will cause Arsenal problems but I don't really want to flag those up because they might be reading this," he said.

"We always look at opposing teams weaknesses and Arsenal will be no different. There are things in the way they play that give us encouragement and we try to emphasise that to the team leading up to the game."

Injury Update: Andy Johnson has recovered from a hamstring problem but left back Carlos Salcido is out with an ankle problem. Mousa Dembele (ankle), Bobby Zamora (broken leg), Rafik Halliche (thigh), Frederik Stoor (groin) and Phillipe Senderos (Achilles) remain sidelined.

WhiteJC

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2010/dec/03/squad-sheets-arsenal-fulham?

Squad sheets: Arsenal v Fulham

The last time Arsène Wenger faced Mark Hughes, he did not shake his hand and he may have been tempted to reach for his throat. Manchester City had defeated Arsenal in the Carling Cup, just before Hughes's sacking, and the managers had clashed on the touchline. As he prepared to welcome Hughes and Fulham, Wenger said the incident was behind them but there is an edge to the pair's relationship, which dates to Hughes' time at Blackburn. What Hughes would give to lead his struggling club to a first away win over Arsenal. David Hytner

Venue Emirates Stadium, tomorrow 3pm Tickets Sold out Last season Arsenal 4 Fulham 0 Referee C Foy

Probable starters in bold, contenders in light. Photograph: Graphic

This season's matches 11 Y24, R0, 2.18 cards per game

Odds Arsenal 3-10 Fulham 12-1 Draw 9-2

Arsenal

Subs from Szczesny, Gibbs, Eboué, Djourou, Rosicky, Vela, Eastmond, Emmanuel-Thomas, Lansbury, Denílson, Bendtner, Van Persie

Doubtful Nasri (knee), Squillaci (knee)

Injured Almunia (elbow, 11 Dec), Fábregas (hamstring, 14 Dec), Diaby (ankle, 18 Dec), Vermaelen (achilles, unknown), Frimpong (knee, May) Suspended None

Form guide WLWWLW

Disciplinary record Y30 R4

Leading scorer Chamakh 7

Fulham

Subs from Stockdale, Kelly, Kamara, Riise, E Johnson, Dikgacoi, Elm,

Pantsil, Briggs

Doubtful Salcido (ankle)

Injured Dembélé (ankle, 18 Dec), Zamora (leg, Feb), Senderos (calf, Feb), Halliche (thigh, unknown), Stoor (groin, unknown)

Suspended None

Form guide DLDLDW

Disciplinary record Y19 R0

Leading scorer Dempsey 5

Match pointers

• Robin van Persie has scored four goals in six Premier League starts against Fulham

• Fulham have never won away at Arsenal in any competition in 24 matches, losing 21

• Arsenal have not lost three home league games in succession since March 1977

• 40% of Fulham's league goals this season have been headers, a higher proportion than any other side

• Fulham have won none of their last 25 Premier League away games – the only run longer was also by Fulham from May 2006 to March 2008

WhiteJC

http://www.givemefootball.com/premier-league/arsenal-boss-ponders-his-new-strike-partnership?

Arsenal boss ponders his new strike partnership
Robin Van Persie and Marouane Chamakh could start against Fulham

Having lost their last two home league matches - against Spurs and Newcastle – Arsene Wenger believes his side can get back to winning ways against Fulham on Saturday.

Wenger remains confident in his side's ability, even without Cesc Fabregas.who will be sidelined for another two weeks, and has challenged his team to recapture their best form at the Emirates.

"I don't worry about it because you win football games when you play well nine times out of 10," said Wenger.

"Let's focus on playing well. Psychologically, we won on Tuesday night (against Wigan in the Carling Cup) and we won the game before against Aston Villa, so it will be down to the quality of our performance tomorrow.

"Our away form got us in a good position in the table but of course we want our home form from now to take off. If we can combine the two we have a good chance and that is our target."

Robin van Persie is in the squad to face Fulham and Wenger insists the Dutch striker could form a strike partnership with Marouane Chamakh.

"Van Persie is getting stronger every day," explained Wenger. "He had 70 minutes the other night and I am confident that if we can get him injury-free in the next three weeks he will be back to his best level.

"We can play Chamakh and Van Persie together. We can play Chamakh up front and van Persie behind. What is interesting is we can play all kinds of formations with the two."

Wenger also reiterated his belief that the Premier League is wide open and as many as seven clubs realistically are in the race for the title.

"I have not changed my mind," said Wenger. "Maybe I was a bit strong when I said seven but if you look purely mathematically yes, but if you look more at the quality of the squads you would go down a bit. But five or six can still win it."

WhiteJC

http://fourfourtwo.com/news/england/69513/default.aspx?

Hangeland: Fulham moving in right direction

Fulham defender Brede Hangeland has admitted he feels Fulham are moving in the right direction under manager Mark Hughes.

Hughes was sacked from Manchester City last year after failing to achieve the ambitions of the Abu Dhabi United Group-owned club before Fulham appointed the Welshman to succeed Liverpool-bound Roy Hodgson.

The West London club currently sit one spot above the relegation zone after a disappointing run of results, but Hangeland believes in Hughes' approach to football.

"We'd like to be higher in the table than we are now," the Norway international told Absolute Radio.

"I'm well aware that it's a really tight league and it's difficult to say that you're going to be in the top half but I would like to think we're good enough to try and avoid the relegation battle.

"He [Hughes] has an entirely different approach to football [to Hodgson] and there's always going to be changes when you change manager, and we're working as hard as we can to put those things onto the pitch.

"I think we're moving in the right direction and hopefully we'll move up that table as soon as possible."

Hangeland also explained how Hughes differs to former manager Hodgson.

"He definitely wants us to get at teams a bit more and not sit back and concede ground, as we did under Roy, so we're a little bit more on the front for now and trying to engage teams higher up the pitch," he said.

However Hangeland regards Hodgson - who brought the centre-back to England - and understands the pressure he is under at Liverpool.

"Of course I'd like him to do well up there, he's a great manager and he deserves success, but I think also he was well aware going to Liverpool that there's a bit of added pressure compared to Fulham."

WhiteJC

http://fourfourtwo.com/news/england/69514/default.aspx?

Hangeland denies considering Arsenal move

Fulham centre-back Brede Hangeland has denied he considered a move to London rivals Arsenal.

Hangeland has become one of the most coveted centre-backs in the Premier League since his move from FC Copenhagen in 2008 and was rumoured to be close to a switch to the Gunners last year.

The 28-year-old, however, said that such talk was borne from the media and has expressed his desire to stay at Craven Cottage.

"I think it was more talk from the press, and I've said all along I'm happy to play for Fulham," he told Absolute Radio.
"I have been ever since I came here so I'm in no hurry to go anywhere."

Hangeland's team-mate Mark Schwarzer was also heavily linked to the Gunners over the summer after the Australian said he wanted to join the Emirates Stadium club.

Arsene Wenger had more than one bid rejected for the 38-year-old in the summer and Schwarzer has now ended speculation after signing a new two-year contract extension on Thursday.

"It's great news for us. I would love for Mark to play here for a long time, he's by far the best keeper I've worked with, so the more games we can keep him the better for us," Hangeland said.

"Mark's proposed move didn't cause unrest in the dressing room. I think it's part of football. I think it was more for Mark perhaps not knowing where he was going to play and that's always a bit hard for any player.

"Since it was decided he's staying here, he's been as good as ever and he's putting in a top-class performance every week," the Norway international added.

Fulham play Arsenal at Emirates Stadium on Saturday and will be looking for their first away win of the season.

"As always they [Arsenal] are a top-class team, I expect them to keep the ball well and have lots of creative players going forward, so we'll have to defend as well as we can and then hopefully create something on the counter attack and when we have the ball."

WhiteJC

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_6551694,00.html?

Hughes - We must be clinical
Boss believes Fulham must take any chances at Emirates

Fulham boss Mark Hughes insists his side must be clinical in front of goal if they are to cause another upset at the Emirates.

Arsenal have slipped to shock defeats to West Brom, Newcastle and Tottenham at the Emirates this term but still sit in third place in the league.

The Cottagers have never claimed an away win at Arsenal and Hughes believes his side must take full advantage of any opportunities that come their way.

He said: "I have probably seen Arsenal more times this season than any other team in fairness.

"At times, defensively, they have been caught out. We will use that as a positive.

"There is no doubt in my mind that we can create situations that will ask questions of them.

Title hopes

Despite having lost as many home games as any side in the division, Hughes refuses to write off Arsenal's title hopes.

"Chelsea have been pegged back and (Manchester) United, obviously, will always challenge, you feel," he said.

"Arsenal would hope that this year they would show some progress in terms of challenging for the title.

"It doesn't seem as if any one side at the top wants to grab the opportunity and run away with the league this year.

"Arsenal, I would imagine within their own confines, would think they've got a hell of a chance."

Fulham currently sit just a point - and place - outside the drop zone having won just twice in their 15 league games to date.

But Hughes, whose side have been without star forwards Bobby Zamora, Andy Johnson and Moussa Dembele for much of the season, refuses to get too downhearted.

He said: "We have probably had just one poor 45 minutes in a 15-game season to this point, which is not too bad.

Defensive record
"We were disappointed with what we produced against Man City in the first half but, apart from that, we have been competitive in every game and our defensive record is decent.

"We are equal fifth in the Premier League in terms of goals conceded. But we are missing key strikers.

"A number of clubs have injuries as well so we are not going to hide behind it but obviously it is a factor."

He added: "We are working hard but it is difficult this year. Everyone is very close in the Premier League.

"Teams are taking points and winning games when you don't expect them to, so the mid-table is very condensed.

"We obviously are at the lower end of that table but one or two wins back to back very quickly moves you to the other end."

WhiteJC

http://www.sportingpreview.com/matches/10111207.php?

BIG MATCH STATS AND FACTS
Robin van Persie has scored four goals in six Premier League starts against Fulham.

• Fulham have never won away at Arsenal in any competition in 24 matches, losing 21.

• Fulham have failed to score in four of the last five Premier League games against Arsenal.

• Arsenal have never lost at home to Fulham in any competition (D3, L21).

• Brede Hangeland's winner at Craven Cottage in August 2008 is the only goal Fulham have scored against Arsenal in the last five meetings.

• Fulham have won just three of their 43 Premier League London derbies away from home and none of the last 32.

• Arsenal have lost three of their last five Premier League matches at the Emirates.

• The Gunners have not lost three home league games in succession since March 1977.

• Fulham have won none of their last 25 Premier League away games, only one team has ever had a longer consecutive run in the Premier League (Fulham May 2006-March 2008).

• Samir Nasri has scored six goals in his last 10 Premier League appearances for Arsenal.

• The Gunners have lost their last two home league matches and are hoping to avoid losing three in a row at home in the Premier League for the first time. The last time they lost three consecutive home league matches was February-March 1977 against West Ham, Ipswich Town and West Brom.

• Arsenal have had more shots on target this season than any other Premier League team - 147.

• Robin van Persie scored in both matches against Fulham last season.

• Fulham have drawn nine matches in this season's Premier League, more than any other team.

• Fulham have not won away from home for 25 matches - their last success on the road came at Portsmouth on the opening day of last season.

• This is Fulham's second long run without an away victory. They hold the Premier League record of 33 away matches without a win.

WhiteJC

http://www.sportingpreview.com/columns/10110185.php?

ANDY'S TIPS FOR SATURDAY'S PREMIER LEAGUE MATCHES

Arsenal v Fulham
Arsenal have faltered occasionally this season but I can't see it happening here.
Recommended Bets: Back Arsenal at 1.31; 2-0 at 7.4

WhiteJC

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1335498/Arsenal-boss-Arsene-Wenger-demands-home-Emirates.html?

Arsene Wenger demands home fire to reignite Arsenal's title bid

Arsene Wenger admits Arsenal are lucky not to be out of the title race but says his side are primed to turn around their indifferent home form over the Christmas period.

Despite losing three Barclays Premier League games at home - to West Brom, Newcastle and Tottenham - the third-placed Gunners are level with Chelsea on 29 points, two behind leaders Manchester United.

Based on home results only, Wenger's side would be ninth.

Asked whether his side had ridden their luck in the title race, Wenger replied: 'Considering we lost three home games, yes.

That is an opportunity that usually you don't get. We must take this chance even more because we have the luck to still be in there.'

But Wenger insists the Gunners can make the most of the festive period to fully capitalise on slip-ups by their title rivals ahead of Saturday's match against Fulham.

'We want to take off now. December is a very important period for us. We are only two points off the leaders and we have the best away record.'

'If you look at the fixture list Man United, Chelsea and Tottenham - they all play each other. It's a defining moment in the season.

'We are only two points off the leaders and we have the best away record. We have nearly everyone available and we don't have an injury crisis,' the Frenchman said.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1335498/Arsenal-boss-Arsene-Wenger-demands-home-Emirates.html#ixzz17804e6iy

WhiteJC

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2896/premier-league/2010/12/03/2244485/mark-hughes-fulham-will-try-and-expose-arsenals-defensive?

Mark Hughes: Fulham will try and expose Arsenal's defensive frailties
Boss thinks his team can end their frustrating run

Fulham manager Mark Hughes has told his team that they must test Arsenal's defence if they are to stand a chance of beating the Gunners on Saturday.

Arsenal have lost their last two home games in a frustrating last few weeks in the Premier League, and Hughes believes his team can expose Arsenal's shaky defence to pick up a much-needed win.

Hughes knows that the game on Saturday will be a tough challenge but has seen enough weakness in Arsenal to not only cause an upset, but also end a winless away run for Fulham.

"I have probably seen Arsenal more times this season than any other team in fairness," he told reporters.

The Gunners have lost as many home games as anybody else in the Premier League, yet remain only two points behind leaders Manchester United. Hughes is refusing to write off their chances of winning the league: "Chelsea have been pegged back and United, obviously, will always challenge, you feel," he said.

Fulham have only managed two wins from fifteen league games so far this season, and if they fail to beat Arsenal they could find themselves joint bottom of the table by the end of the weekend.

WhiteJC

http://cottagers.blogspot.com/2010/12/return-of-king-ful-1-1-bhm.html?

Craven Cottagers
Following the 2007/8, 2008/9, 2009/10 and 2010/11 seasons at Craven Cottage - recounted by season ticket holders who aren't actually Fulham fans.

Return of the King - FUL 1-1 BHM

It's a strange old game when the highlight is the return of a right back. Carlos Salcido, clearly not fit, was hauled off after a very, very poor 20 minutes in which he was pretty culpable for the away team's breakaway goal after unnecessarily lunging in at Hleb near the halfway line. His replacement? None other than Johnny P who had hitherto been frozen out of Hughes' plans after a shoddy start to the season.

In truth it was a surprise to see Paintsil get the nod ahead of Kelly, but I've seen reports that Johnny was ready to go on the pitch and Stephen wasn't so Hughes shoved our favourite Ghanaian into action. It was a rousing ovation for Paintsil, with his every touch cheered. The Birmingham fans must have thought we were going mad. Surprisingly he took the right back berth with Baird moving to left back - considering JP has played LB at international level. Still Paintsil actually had a really solid game, which was good to see. Baird didn't play bad either at left back, although in an attacking sense he constantly had to cut back onto his right, which unfortunately slowed the team's momentum. The one time Baird did try and whip one over with his left, it was fairly dangerous.

This was a better outing for Fulham than in recent times, although Dickson Etuhu was mainly anonymous for the match, playing around half as many passes as most of the other players. And while they looked in control for most of the game, Ben Foster just wasn't tested at all. Any shots on target ended going straight at him and it was just Dempsey's desire to reach the ball that plundered the equaliser (once Davies and Baird decide to actually cross the ball into the box rather than fanny around with it).

In all the game had a more relaxed atmosphere about it - almost a tacit acceptance amongst the fans that after a couple of years of unprecedented success Fulham are poo again and the fans should try and enjoy themselves despite what is going off on the pitch. We even found ourselves cheering Eddie Johnson when he came on - he even managed a shot on target that Foster was semi-lucky to turn away with his feet. If he'd had scored the winner than all bets were off for the remainder of the season. It would have almost been enough to convince FIFA that magical football moments happen in England.