watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Old Sod's Army-Sack cloth and ashes (2)

Started by bog, December 02, 2020, 04:19:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bog

Following on from the last post with the same headline coincidentally I am reading the excellent 2008 Martin Plumb A4 size page book about the Maestro. Have just got to the Russian game mentioned. I thought some of the words may be of interest to some:-

'More controversy followed. The BBC Sportsview commentary team, in a stunt aimed at the men at the top, omitted Haynes from their lineup....they boldly expressed their view that the England  team were better off without him and that he was not much of a player. This assault was led by the cheesy Kenneth Wolstenholme who felt Haynes knew little about football and was someone he never particularly warmed to.'  The sack cloth and ashes after the game was also mentioned. How I did enjoy that. The BBC then tried to say it was all a joke....

What I have never known was the following;-

'The story goes that in the Russian contingent that day was a young Mikhail Gorbachev. After seeing him play he became a big fan. During the Thatcher years when over on visits or meeting up he would ask how is that Johnny Haynes these days?'

Don't get much better or higher than that in political circles. So those who wonder why old sods like me keep going on about the Maestro you should have seen him play.  049:gif

092.gif

filham

Been watching Fulham since about 1948 and have seen lots of very good players but none have been anywhere near as good as Haynes. I am sure there will never be anyone to match him nor any player to have such an effect on the club over such a long period.

bog

You shade me by 5 years filham. Totally agree with your words.

filham

Quote from: bog on December 02, 2020, 08:55:45 PM
Like me you must have been privileged to watch Haynes right through his playing career . I like to post a reminder now and again stating how good he was. Not sure that we can convince those that never saw him of his true abilities but we have a duty to try.

bog

Quote from: filham on December 03, 2020, 10:48:40 AM
Like me you must have been privileged to watch Haynes right through his playing career . I like to post a reminder now and again stating how good he was. Not sure that we can convince those that never saw him of his true abilities but we have a duty to try.

If he had played for a 'bigger club' would we have heard more of him I wonder.

filham

Quote from: bog on December 03, 2020, 10:53:48 AM
Quote from: filham on December 03, 2020, 10:48:40 AM

If he had played for a 'bigger club' would we have heard more of him I wonder.
Yes, Fulham in those days had a degree of coverage but had Haynes played for Spurs , as he could have done, he would have got a lot more publicity.
Can you imagine Haynes playing for Spurs in modern times, he would have been making TV appearances more regularly than playing football matches.

Cambridge Pete

As an old sod may I join please sir? First game home to Charlton in 58. I was eight. Mum managed a restaurant (El Cubano) in Kingston and Haynes, Hill, Jezzard and a few others came in one evening (must have been early as I was there) That's when I became a Fulham supporter. (The half crown tip for adding the bill helped :yay:

bog

Quote from: Cambridge Pete on December 03, 2020, 01:42:32 PM
As an old sod may I join please sir? First game home to Charlton in 58. I was eight. Mum managed a restaurant (El Cubano) in Kingston and Haynes, Hill, Jezzard and a few others came in one evening (must have been early as I was there) That's when I became a Fulham supporter. (The half crown tip for adding the bill helped :yay:

You're in! What a night was!  049:gif :clap_hands:

092.gif