https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Saturday Fulham Stuff - 12/12/20...

Started by WhiteJC, December 12, 2020, 12:07:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

WhiteJC

Improving Fulham & the "incredible" midfielder who must stop Reds playing

It is hard to see anything but a Liverpool win at Fulham this weekend, but do the home side sense a major upset coming at Craven Cottage?

It has been a solid week for the Reds, who dismantled Wolves in the Premier League, before a much-changed team drew 1-1 away to Midtjylland in the Champions League.

Jurgen Klopp's men appear to be finding their groove as the festive period kicks in, suggesting they are set for a positive run of results.

Up next is Sunday's trip to a Fulham team languishing in the 17th place, with just seven points to their name in 11 matches.

The Cottagers beat Leicester away recently, however, so Liverpool must not take their struggling opponents lightly in west London.

With kickoff on the horizon, we spoke to Fulham fan and football writer Matt Baldwin (@MattRhys63) to get his thoughts on both sides' seasons so far and how Sunday's clash could pan out.

How would you assess Fulham's start to the campaign?
It's really been a season of two halves.

Fulham came out of the blocks and looked completely unprepared for what was ahead of us, which in a sense we were, because of the short turnaround time from the playoff final to the start of the season.

We didn't have a true pre-season to get things clicking, so the first few games became that, as we worked out how we needed to set up.

Now we have had that time, things have been looking a whole lot better.

Do you fancy the Cottagers to beat the drop?
After the first few games, no. But looking at how we have set up, and at the teams down the bottom, we may stay up by default of being the fourth-worst team.

There are some real strugglers down there at the moment, such as Sheffield United and West Brom.

If it has to be that way, rather than us pulling up any trees and being impressive, then so be it.

Who have been Fulham's three best players so far this season?
Despite the amount of goals we have conceded, I would have to say Alphonse Areola has been incredible between the sticks.

There was some controversy when he came in and took the place from Marek Rodak, who had got us promoted, but over time it has proved to be a really smart choice.

Ademola Lookman has given us a bit of a spark when it comes to our attack, creating some good chances and scoring some fine goals.

That penalty miss will probably hang over him all season, but he has responded to it really well and even before then he was the only player that seemed to give a damn and put in any effort.

Andre-Frank Zambo Anguissa has been an incredible force of nature in the midfield, and based on how he has played the past few weeks, he wouldn't look uncomfortable in a top-six side.

He was one of our many 'flops' last time around in the Premier League, but he has done well to answer his critics from last time.

How does it feel to have fans back inside Craven Cottage this weekend?
It's going to be weird because I think our style of play can be frustrating to watch at times, and the players haven't had to put up with fans being in a position to tell them how they feel for some time.

If the players make a mistake now, there isn't going to be anywhere to hide, but hopefully that doesn't turn out to be the case and the players can be spurred on.

Switching our attention to Liverpool, do you still see them as title favourites?
Not anymore. I think injuries are going to take their toll.

We saw at the start of Jurgen Klopp's time at the club players got muscle injuries as they adjusted to his style of play.

They were lucky they didn't have many in the past two seasons to hold them back, but now that he is asking them to do it during a truncated and hectic schedule, something has got to give.

I don't think they will be able to keep up the whole way.

Looking ahead to Sunday's game, who do you fear most from the Reds?
It will be the obvious answer but it's the front three of Mohamed Salah, Sadio Mane and Roberto Firmino – or four if you include Diogo Jota in there as well.

Our back-line has really stepped up these past few games, but we saw against Man City that there is a limit to how well we can keep attacks at bay.

With Liverpool's attack, it is going to be a difficult task to keep us in the game.

Where do you see the key battles taking place?
In central midfield, we need to do our best to stop the supply line to the front three, whether that is keeping the ball ourselves or trying to get it back from the likes of Jordan Henderson, Gini Wijnaldum and company.

If we can keep their time on the ball to a minimum, we might stand a chance.

Finally, hit us with your prediction...
For some inexplicable reason, I think we might be able to get a 1-1 draw out of this.

Despite my praise of Liverpool, I think there are some weaknesses to be exploited, and the longer Areola and the defence can keep us in the game, the better chance we have of getting something.

https://www.thisisanfield.com/2020/12/improving-fulham-the-incredible-midfielder-who-must-stop-reds-playing/

WhiteJC

Fulham defender talks about transfer plans – Looking for quick return

It seems Fulham defender Joachim Anderson has been quite busy speaking to the French media in the past couple of days.

On Thursday, we had already covered a chat he had with Lyon local newspaper Le Progrès, where he spoke about his transfer from the Ligue 1 side this summer.

Andersen joined Fulham on a loan move, and besides being quick at finding a place in Scott Parker's side, he also captained the team in their last two Premier League matches.

Now in an interview with Foot Mercato, the defender opened up a little more on his reasons to leave Lyon, claiming he didn't have enough playing time at the club.

"Like I said, I want to play every game and I want to play an important role. After the coronavirus break, I wasn't playing enough and asked the coach how he saw me in the pecking order," Joachim Andersen told Foot Mercato.

"He couldn't assure me that I would be regularly in the eleven, which I respect. Therefore, I was very happy that they let me go to Fulham. I had very good discussions with Scott Parker who considered me an important player, and here I am today."

The player has also responded to the rumours of a move to Italy, where it was claimed he could join Torino this summer.

"I had some very interesting opportunities with big clubs from the three biggest leagues in Europe. I don't want to discuss the details, but in the final days of the transfer window, everything becomes a puzzle. There are personal, economic and sporting interests to consider at the same time and at the end of the day, Fulham ticked all the boxes. So far, nothing has proven me wrong.

"There are so many details to consider. Before I made up my mind, I spoke with Kenny Tete, who was really happy with the club and the manager. After my discussions with Scott Parker, my agent and my family, I made the decision."

But despite sounding very happy that he chose Fulham, Andersen can't give any guarantees that he'll be staying at the Premier League side after the end of the loan spell.

He actually plans to return to Lyon.

"It's too early to start discussions on this subject. My goal is to have a good season with Fulham and help them stay in the Premier League. Then this summer we will see my situation in Lyon.

"Although there have been a lot of changes in the squad, I still have a lot of teammates in Lyon and I hope for the best for the club. It's still my plan to go back to Lyon."

http://sportwitness.co.uk/fulham-defender-talks-transfer-plans-looking-quick-return/

WhiteJC

Nottingham Forest: Fans desperate to bag Anthony Knockaert on permanent deal

Given speculation surrounding current Nottingham Forest loanee Anthony Knockaert, who is on a temporary spell at the City ground from Brighton, many Forest supporters are desperate to bag the Frenchman permanently following his displays – with manager Chris Hughton opening up over that possibility to the media recently.

Knockaert, who came on against Norwich City during Forest's 2-1 loss at Carrow Road, grabbing an equaliser with his effort, has impressed a fair few supporters given his attacking contribution.

Indeed, the Premier League attacker, currently on a loan stint at Forest, has managed to gather a fair few admirers with his showings – and these fans look like they would love the idea of him permanently switching his allegiances.

Hughton claims the club still haven't made a decision as his deal expires next month, with the Reds holding an option to buy but yet to make any commitments.

https://www.footballtransfertavern.com/nottingham-forest-transfer-rumours/nottingham-forest-fans-desperate-to-bag-anthony-knockaert-on-permanent-deal/

WhiteJC

Diogo Jota could miss Liverpool's clash with Fulham through injury

Diogo Jota could miss Liverpool's Premier League clash with Fulham this weekend, Jurgen Klopp has confirmed.

The champions head to Craven Cottage on Sunday afternoon, looking to at least stay joint-top with current leaders Tottenham, depending on how they fare at Crystal Palace earlier in the day.

Liverpool's injury problems are showing signs of easing, but a fresh issue has arisen.

Speaking to the press on Friday afternoon, Klopp gave a key update on Jota, as well as Kostas Tsimikas:

Read Liverpool Verdict

This is another big blow for Liverpool, should Jota ended up missing out this weekend. The Portuguese has been a revelation for the Reds so far, scoring nine goals in his first 17 appearances.

Should Jota be out, it would appear as though Mohamed Salah, Sadio Mane and Roberto Firmino will all start against Fulham.

That may not be ideal, however, with Spurs heading to Anfield just three days later.

Klopp has a big decision to make in that respect, with Takumi Minamino and Divock Origi potential options.

https://readliverpoolfc.com/2020/12/11/diogo-jota-could-miss-liverpools-clash-with-fulham/

WhiteJC

Barnsley announce capture of ex-Fulham man

Barnsley have today announced the signing of ex-Fulham youngster Cameron Thompson.

Thompson, 20, is a product of the Fulham youth academy.

He'd spent the past nine years at the club but his summer release, before today signing for Barnsley following a successful trial period.

A striker, Thompson netted 15 times in 31 appearances for Fulham's U18 side, scoring eight for the club's development squad.

He'll initially link up with Barnsley development squad as well.

Speaking to barnsleyfc.co.uk about his move, Thompson spoke of his delight:

"I'm very pleased to have signed. It's been a long time because I got injured when I got offered and I had to wait to do my medical, so it's been a long process. But I'm just happy to get the deal done and get started at Barnsley.

"The plan and the expectation was to get started straight away and to score two goals in my first two games is a good start, but it's just about keeping the run going now.

"I want to come in and replicate what I've been doing over the years, which is scoring goals, and hopefully I can do that here.

"I think we can go far this season. It's like a group of really close friends – everyone is really close; it's not just a team. So I think the lads can do quite well."

Valerien Ismael's side are enjoying a decent season in the Championship.

They travel to bottom-club Sheffield Wednesday in the Championship tomorrow, where they'll look to claim their second-straight away win against their South Yorkshire rivals.

Last time out, Barnsley claimed a 2-1 home win over strugglers Wycombe Wanderers.

They go into this weekend sitting in 16th-place of the Championship table, with a win able to to take them as high as 10th depending on results, and a huge swing in goal difference.

A keen signing from Barnsley though, who've brought about  lot of exciting young players in the past 18-months.

https://the72.co.uk/206330/barnsley-announce-capture-of-ex-fulham-man/

WhiteJC

Aina wins November Budweiser Goal of the Month award

Defender becomes third Fulham player to receive prize after thumping strike against West Brom

Ola Aina has become the latest Fulham player to win the Budweiser Goal of the Month award after his spectacular effort against West Bromwich Albion was voted the best in November.

The defender linked up with Bobby De Cordova-Reid and Aleksandar Mitrovic before firing a ferocious shot into the top-left corner from outside the penalty area.

"It was a good strike!" Aina said of his goal. "It came on to my left and I just felt comfortable to strike it as hard as I could.

"It was good for the team. It lifted our spirits and we'll try to build on that."

The 24-year-old is the third Fulham player to win the Budweiser Goal of the Month award, after Jean Michael Seri and Andre Schurrle both won the prize in 2018/19.

Only Chelsea, Aina's former club, and Tottenham Hotspur have had more winners since the award started in 2016/17, a feat all the more impressive given this is just Fulham's second season in the competition during that time.

Aina's goal was chosen by a panel of experts combined with a public vote, beating seven other contenders.
2020/21 Budweiser Goal winners

September: James Maddison (LEI)
October: Manuel Lanzini (WHU)
November: Ola Aina (FUL)

https://www.premierleague.com/news/1931701

WhiteJC

Ola Wins Goal of the Month

Ola Aina's rocket against West Bromwich Albion has won the Premier League's Goal of the Month award for November.

The Fulham right-back had stiff competition from James Ward-Prowse, Danny Ings, Jamie Vardy, Eberechi Eze, Solly March, Riyad Mahrez and Raphinha, but came out on top of the fan vote to claim the rectangular accolade.

It's the first time a Fulham player has won the award since André Schürrle against Burnley in January 2019.

Ola caught up with the Premier League after receiving his trophy, and you can watch his interview below.

https://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2020/december/Ola-Wins-Goal-of-the-Month/

WhiteJC

Aina wins goal of the month

Fulham full back Ola Aina's sensational strike against West Brom has won the Premier League goal of the month award for November.

The Nigerian international's first goal for the club – a superb finish from outside of the box after a flowing move that involved Aleksandar Mitrovic and Bobby Decordova-Reid – helped the Whites secure their first win back in the top flight. The 24 year-old is the third Fulham player to win the goal of the month contest, with Jean-Michael Seri and Andre Schurrle also claiming the award during Fulham's last season in the Premier League.

https://hammyend.com/index.php/2020/12/aina-wins-goal-of-the-month/

WhiteJC

Jürgen Klopp: Confident Fulham will make it a proper fight

Jürgen Klopp anticipates Liverpool will come up against a Fulham side gaining confidence with each matchday upon their return to the Premier League.

Scott Parker led The Cottagers to instant promotion from the Championship last term after they were relegated from the top flight in 2018-19.

They currently occupy 17th position in the standings having garnered seven points from their opening 11 matches.

However, Klopp feels Fulham can have confidence regarding their prospects of retaining their Premier League status, acknowledging he has been impressed by the manner of some of their performances so far.

The manager explained during his pre-match press conference on Friday afternoon: "When I do the analysis for a game, we now are on matchday 11 and I didn't see all 11 games, but I saw the last three.

"Yes, of course, they are growing and that is a normal process, by the way, and when you see then the number of points in that area of the table, it is not that somebody is already out of the race or something like that. They all have all the chance to stay in [the league] and Fulham is even in a slightly better position than others.

"That means in this situation, even when the results were so far not perfect, you can still be confident – they can have confidence. That's what we expect. It's a tough one with supporters [at Craven Cottage], I think, in London.

"With supporters, we felt a week ago the benefit of having our crowd there, so now Fulham, a small stadium, 2,000 people in, it will be a proper atmosphere, so we have to be ready for that."

Liverpool's own start to the Premier League campaign has them level with Tottenham Hotspur at the summit of the fledgling standings as they aim to successfully defend their crown.

There is little between the teams in the top half of the table, however, with just seven points separating first place from 10th.

Klopp, though, feels now is not the time to be thinking about positioning, but rather aiming to build a base for the rest of the season.

"I hope none of our players will think about [the subsequent match against] Tottenham when we are in Fulham, to be honest," he stated.

"The situation is like it is at the top of the table, everywhere in the table pretty much, there is not a lot of distance in between. We know that and I don't have to tell the boys constantly.

"Fulham are a really good football-playing side and the performances they showed were not all rewarded with results. The fight for staying in the league is a tight one as well, so each point helps and they will go for everything. If we let them play, they will play and the more we let them play, the more we have to defend and the more you have to defend, the more you have to run. All of these kind of things, we have to be really spot on in this game.

"Since Scott Parker took over there, there is a constant development to see. Getting promoted from the most difficult second league in the world is a tough one and he did that as a pretty young coach.

"So, he is doing a really good job and I respect that a lot. Now we go there, we have to see who is available and then we will try again our best."

At the same stage of last year's Premier League schedule, Liverpool sat six points clear at the summit.

Nevertheless, Klopp insists regardless of whether his side are clear in front or battling for position with other clubs, their approach to each matchday doesn't alter.

He detailed: "Look, I am not the most experienced guy who can tell you how it is when you have a big gap between you and other teams, but last year, for whatever reason, it was like this.

"Before a game, it is exactly the same like always, you want to win this game because it is not that you think, 'Oh, there is a gap of 20 points between us and them, so we might play at 60 or 70 per cent' – it is not like that. We felt under pressure from ourselves last year and that's the same now, it didn't change. You don't look at other teams, it is much too early in the season.

"The last matchday is important, where are the others and where are yourselves. Before that, you just create a basis for the rest of the year and that's what we are still in. Whichever situation is there outside us, we cannot change, so we are not focused on it so we just try to win the next game and that's difficult enough."

https://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/first-team/419691-jurgen-klopp-confident-fulham-will-make-it-a-proper-fight

WhiteJC

Tete edging closer to Fulham return

Fulham fans should finally get a chance to see Kenny Tete back in action – probably before Christmas.

Right-back Tete is not only in full training but on the comeback trail when he appeared for the Under-23s against Middlesbrough on Friday.

Meanwhile, Terence Kongolo's training is being "modified" as Scott Parker put it, but the head coach reckons both are on the "right track".

A series of injuries, starting with a broken foot, has sidelined central defender Kongolo, who is awaiting a second start for Fulham, after a loan spell with Whites last season, while Tete's torn calf last saw him during the 3-0 home defeat by Aston Villa at the end of September.

Parker said: "Kongolo's training has been modified. We take him in and out (of full training), but Kenny is back, although Liverpool on Sunday is a bit too early. Otherwise, everyone else is good."

Fulham welcome back 2,000 fans to Craven Cottage for the visit of the champions, with Parker hoping each and every one plays a part in causing an upset.

"This is arguably our toughest game of the year," he said.

"Our fans have spent a long time not being there when we were making the play-offs and at Wembley.

"Hopefully that 12th man will give us just a little bit more".

https://www.westlondonsport.com/fulham/parker-gives-encouraging-updates-on-tete-and-kongolo-ahead-of-liverpool-clash

WhiteJC

Fulham v Liverpool

Liverpool have not won a Premier League away game since beating Chelsea on 20 September

TEAM NEWS

Fulham boss Scott Parker has reported no new injuries so could name the same side for a third consecutive match.

This game comes too soon for full-back Kenny Tete, who made his comeback from a calf strain by playing for the under-23 side on Friday.

Liverpool will monitor Alisson and Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain, both of whom could come back into contention.

Diogo Jota and Kostas Tsimikas suffered minor problems against Midtjylland in midweek and will be assessed.

LAWRO'S PREDICTION

Fulham might feel like they can get at Liverpool, especially if Caoimhin Kelleher is still filling in for Alisson in goal, and the Cottagers have got the option of recalling Aleksandar Mitrovic if they want to be more direct and try to test the 22-year-old Irishman with some balls into the box.

Kelleher has done really well so far and looks the part, but he is going to make a mistake at some point - I certainly don't wish it on him, but all young keepers do - and we don't know how he will react.

What we do know, though, is how good Liverpool's frontline is. They always come up trumps and I don't think Fulham will keep them out.

Prediction: 0-2

MATCH FACTS

Head-to-head

Liverpool have won six successive Premier League games against Fulham, scoring 18 goals and conceding just four times.
    The Whites' last victories in this fixture came in the 2011-12 season, when they won home and away.
    None of Fulham's 14 Premier League home games against Liverpool have finished level, with the Cottagers claiming five wins to the Reds' nine.

Fulham

Fulham have lost four of their opening five home league matches in a season for the first time.
    The Whites have conceded seven goals in the first 15 minutes of Premier League matches this season, three more than any other side prior to the weekend.
    They also have the joint-worst record in the opening 15 minutes of the second half, conceding six unanswered goals.
    Fulham are winless in 11 Premier League games against the reigning champions since a 3-0 victory versus Manchester United on 19 December 2009.
    Scott Parker has lost 15 of his 21 top-flight matches since taking charge of Fulham, initially as caretaker manager.
    Andre-Frank Zambo Anguissa has completed 38 dribbles in the Premier League this season, more than any other player after 11 match rounds.

Liverpool

Liverpool are winless in their past four Premier League away games (D3, L1).
    Their solitary away victory this season came at Chelsea in September, and going into this weekend they rank only 16th for most points earned on the road this season.
    Jurgen Klopp's side can keep back-to-back Premier League clean sheets for the first time since June.
    Liverpool have won their 18 most recent league matches against newly-promoted teams, nine short of the top-flight record set by Chelsea between 2002 and 2006.
    The Reds are the only club to have scored in all of their Premier League fixtures this season.
    Mohamed Salah has scored just once in his last 12 Premier League appearances in London, with that strike coming at West Ham in January.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/55204248

WhiteJC

Parker: Fans can give Fulham 'massive' lift

Fulham caretaker manager Scott Parker applauds the fans after the Premier League match at Craven Cottage, London.

Scott Parker feels that the return of fans to Premier League football could hand Fulham a real boost in their battle to beat the drop.

Fulham will welcome around 2,000 supporters back to Craven Cottage for Sunday afternoon's clash with defending champions Liverpool – the first time that the historic ground has been open to supporters since a Championship win over Preston last February. Parker, speaking to his pre-match press conference earlier this afternoon, feels having the fans back in can give his side a 'massive' boost.

I think it'll have a massive impact to be fair. It's been such a long time since the players (last played in front of fans) and the stadium has been pretty empty. For large parts of our careers as players or managers we play with fans, that's what our game is about really, the passion and dynamic that fans bring, so we're fortunate enough that we can have fans in our stadium this weekend and we're looking forward to it.

During a massive part of our season, after lockdown and getting promotion, the fans weren't there to enjoy it with the team and it probably lost a little something from that, in terms of the memories, not of course the achievements but like anything you want to share that with the fans because they're arguably the most important people.

Parker has left star striker Aleksandar Mitrovic on the bench for Fulham's last two fixtures, which included a surprise win at Leicester, but reiterated that the Serbian international will remain a key player as the Whites look to avoid an immediate return to the Championship.

I'm sure Aleks will be the first to want to play every week but the way it is at the moment he hasn't. But like I've said many times before, he'll have a large part – like he has at this point – to play this year as well. His attitude and his professionalism will get him back into that place where he needs to be.

The Fulham boss admitted that he will be trying to nullify the strengths of Jurgen Klopp's side as he approaches what he described as one of the most difficult games of the season, but believes recent performances mean the Cottagers can go into the fixture with confidence and belief.

We're always confident. We are where we are in the league table, but as a team and the way we're going and the way we drive things, we're always confident going into every game.

Of course we understand the challenge we face. There's no denying we're up against arguably one of the best teams in Europe over the last 18 months. It is a massive challenge, but like last week against Man City, we'll go into the game looking to cause Liverpool some problems. We'll try and put our stamp on it a little bit, whilst also trying to nullify the threats they bring.

https://hammyend.com/index.php/2020/12/parker-fans-can-give-fulham-massive-lift/

WhiteJC

U23s Felled At Fulham

Boro youngsters bested in capital...

Cole Kiernan's first in Boro colours wasn't enough for Boro's Under-23s as they slipped to a 3-1 defeat away to Fulham on Friday afternoon.

The Hartlepool-born former Sunderland striker hit a late consolation five minutes after coming off the bench for Boro, who succumbed to goals from Ziyad Larkeche, Jaydn Mundle-Smith and Sylvester Jasper at the London School of Economics.

Graeme Lee's side remain atop a finely-poised PL2 table for now, though Leeds United, West Brom and Norwich City will all have opportunity to pinch that spot over the course of the weekend.

A third straight win for form side Fulham puts them within a point of Boro at the summit.

https://www.mfc.co.uk/news/u23s-felled-at-fulham

WhiteJC

Fulham U23s earn third win in a row

Fulham's under 23 side moved up to fourth in the Premier League table by beating league leaders Middlesbrough this afternoon and recording a third consecutive victory.

French full back Ziyard Larkeche's first goal since joining the club this summer gave the Whites the perfect start and second half strikes from Jaydn Mundle-Smith and Sylvester Jasper secured a stylish victory. Colin Omogbehin and Mark Pembridge rung the changes to the starting line-up with Kenny Tete stepping up his comeback from a calf injury and midfielder Josh Onomah also making a welcome return to competitive action after being sidelined since October.

Fulham settled the quicker at the London School of Economics with Tete driving over at the far post after excellent approach play between Sonny Hilton and Jasper, who has now recovered from the injury that interrupted his flying start to the season. The Whites made the breakthrough just after the quarter of an hour mark when Larkeche powered home a finish from close range after a bit of a goalmouth scramble followed Boro's failure to clear a low cross.

Fabio Carvalho was denied a second on 22 minutes by an excellent reaction save from the Middlesbrough goalkeeper and Hilton drove disappointingly over the crossbar after being freed by a clever pass from Jean-Pierre Tiehi. Jasper rattled the woodwork with a venomous drive after darting infield from the right on the half hour. The hosts were back on the front foot after the break with Jayden Harris having a speculative shot saved and Jasper denied by a brave block after a lightning attack that saw Tiehi and Carvalho link up beautifully.

A second goal arrived ten minutes into the second period when skipper Mundle-Smith punished some slack marking at a corner to fire home at the back post. Boro, who had largely been quiet as an attacking force, fashioned a good opening at the other end when Joe Gibson was unfortunate to see an instinctive volley from Jack Robinson's left-wing cross fly fractionally over, but Fulham made sure of the points when Jasper swept home a Tiehi cutback to make it three.

The visitors did grab a late consolation through former Sunderland striker Cole Kiernan, who notched his first goal for Middlesbrough from close range with five minutes left, but the Hartlepool-born forward spurned a glorious chance to set up a grandstand finish when he crashed a late spot-kick against the crossbar. Fulham's victory narrows the gap to Middlesbrough to just a single point. The under 23s are next in action at Leeds United on Monday 21st December.

FULHAM U23s (4-3-3): L. Ashby-Hammond; Tete, Larkeche, McAvoy, Mundle-Smith; Harris, Hilton, Onomah; Carvalho, Jasper, Tiehi. Subs: J. Aina, Page, De Havilland, Taylor-Crossdale.

https://hammyend.com/index.php/2020/12/fulham-u23s-earn-third-win-in-a-row/

WhiteJC

Scott Parker expects fans returning to Craven Cottage to boost Fulham fortunes

Scott Parker insists the return of fans is "massive" for Fulham ahead of their Premier League clash with champions Liverpool.

Craven Cottage last opened its doors to the public on February 29 for a 2-0 win over Preston in the Sky Bet Championship, with supporters yet to watch their side live following their return to the top flight this term.

Parker is embracing the limited return of up to 2,000 fans, which is permitted as London is currently placed in tier two of the Government's coronavirus restrictions system, although it could be a short-lived reunion as a review of the capital's status is set to take place early next week.

"I think it'll have a massive impact to be fair," the Fulham boss said. "It's been such a long time since the players (last played in front of fans) and the stadium has been pretty empty.

"For large parts of our careers as players or managers we play with fans, that's what our game is about really, the passion and dynamic that fans bring, so we're fortunate enough that we can have fans in our stadium this weekend and we're looking forward to it.

"During a massive part of our season, after lockdown and getting promotion, the fans weren't there to enjoy it with the team and it probably lost a little something from that, in terms of the memories, not of course the achievements but like anything you want to share that with the fans because they're arguably the most important people."

Fulham are in the middle of a difficult run of fixtures; despite a surprise victory at Leicester they have also suffered a defeat to Manchester City and now face Liverpool as they strive for Premier League survival.

In recent matches, last season's Championship golden-boot winner Aleksandar Mitrovic has been named on the bench, although Parker insists the striker will have a part to play this season.

"I'm sure Alex will be the first to want to play every week but the way it is at the moment he hasn't," he said.

"But like I've said many times before, he'll have a large part – like he has at this point – to play this year as well.

"His attitude and his professionalism will get him back into that place where he needs to be."

https://www.fourfourtwo.com/news/scott-parker-expects-fans-returning-to-craven-cottage-to-boost-fulham-fortunes-1607698550000

WhiteJC

Liverpool Matchday Preview

Fulham v Liverpool | Craven Cottage | Sunday 13th December 2020 | 4.30pm | #FULLIV

The opposition

A surprising blip at Villa Park aside, Liverpool's defence of their first title in 30 years has begun well, as they sit joint top of the Premier League alongside Tottenham Hotspur, having won seven and drawn three of their 11 Premier League matches so far.
    The Reds were in Champions League action in midweek, but with top spot in Group D already secured, Jürgen Klopp was able to rest a number of players for their 1-1 draw with Midtjylland.
    The previous two meetings between Fulham and Liverpool at Craven Cottage have both been settled in the visitors' favour by late penalties. James Milner scored from the spot to earn his side a 2-1 victory two seasons ago, while 2013/14 saw Steven Gerrard break Whites hearts as Liverpool twice came from behind before the captain's stoppage time penalty won the game.

Fulham team news

Scott Parker is close to having a fully fit squad to choose from following the return to training of Kenny Tete and Terence Kongolo. Sunday will come too soon for the defensive duo, but positive news nonetheless.

Liverpool team news

Klopp may be able to recall Alisson after the goalkeeper returned to training on Friday having recovered from the hamstring injury that ruled him out of their previous three games. Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain is pushing for a first appearance of the season, but Diogo Jota and Kostas Tsimikas are doubts after picking up knocks against Midtjylland on Wednesday. James Milner, Joe Gomez, Virgil van Dijk, Thiago Alcantara and Xherdan Shaqiri all miss out.

Medical questionnaire

Fans attending the game are reminded that they must complete their medical questionnaire in advance of arriving at the ground.

Tube closure

Putney Bridge tube station will be closed just before full-time, and will reopen around 30 minutes after the game.

Coverage

The match will be televised live on Sky Sports, while commentary from Gentleman Jim and Jamie Reid will be available to FFCtv subscribers.

Player insight

Aboubakar Kamara says Fulham are going into Sunday's meeting with the Premier League champions with a positive frame of mind.

"In football anything can happen," he told FFCtv. "We just need to fight and show our quality. Hopefully we will score and win, or at least draw, against Liverpool."

Form

Fulham: WLLWL

Liverpool: LDWWD

Pre-match quotes

"Of course we understand the challenge we face. There's no denying we're up against arguably one of the best teams in Europe over the last 18 months."

Scott Parker
Fulham Head Coach

"Fulham are a really good football-playing side and the performances they showed were not all rewarded with results."

Jürgen Klopp
Liverpool Manager

https://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2020/december/Liverpool-Matchday-Preview/

WhiteJC

Josh Onomah Makes Fulham Comeback In U23 Win Vs Middlesbrough

2017 U20 World Cup winner of Nigerian descent, Josh Onomah made his comeback from injury in Fulham's 3-1 victory over Middlesbrough in a Premier League 2 Division 2 clash at the London School of Economics on Friday afternoon.

The plan was for the central midfielder to play some minutes and he was replaced on the hour mark in a premeditated substitution.

Onomah has not featured for the Cottagers teams since October 1 when he played only the first half of the League Cup defeat to Brentford.

Manager Scott Parker omitted the Tottenham Hotspur academy product from the Premier League squad due to his long-term injury but he could find himself back in the squad when the transfer window reopens in January, provided he does not suffer a relapse and is in tip-top condition.

Prior to Onomah's spell on the sidelines, he started two of the three matches played by Fulham in the English top-flight and was in action for 133 minutes.

Few weeks before picking up a knee injury, he extended his contract with Fulham until June 30, 2023.

Meanwhile, Sylvester Jasper took his tally to 3 goals in four appearances in the Premier League 2 after scoring Fulham's third goal against Boro.

Fifteen minutes from time, the versatile winger calmly slotted the ball past goalkeeper Hemming after he was fed by
Jean-Pierre Tiehi, son of former Ivory Coast international Joel.

Igho Kingsley

https://www.allnigeriasoccer.com/read_news.php?nid=38296

WhiteJC

Ex-Fulham wonderkid monitored by Dortmund in 2019 is somehow still a free agent

Fulham have had a number of talented young players come through at Motspur Park in recent years.

Cody Drameh, Harvey Elliott and the Sessegnon twins are all England youth players tipped for big things in the future, having started their careers at Craven Cottage, and another man who was seen as a wonderkid once upon a time is Matt O'Riley.

The 6 ft 2 midfielder was tipped to be a first-teamer when he was just 17, and he was watched by both Manchester United and Arsenal back in 2017.

However, despite being watched by Borussia Dortmund last year, O'Riley's career is faltering, and he's still only 20.

Many a Fulham fan will have been devastated to hear that O'Riley left the club on a free transfer this summer, but here we are, almost six months down the line, and the 20-year-old still doesn't have a club.

This is a young player who has reportedly been courted by some of Europe's biggest clubs, and nobody has decided to take a punt on him six months after he left the Whites.

For lack of a better word, this situation is strange. There's been no word on an injury, and he had the option to re-sign with Fulham in the summer, but he decided to leave.

That's six months of O'Riley's career that he will never get back, and at his age, he needs to be in an elite footballing environment, soaking up information from top coaches and playing competitive matches.

You hear all the time about young footballers released from their academies falling by the wayside and never making an impact again, but O'Riley isn't one of those players, or at least he wasn't supposed to be.

He's played first-team football at Fulham and the Cottagers wanted him to stay, offering him a new deal before he left, but despite reportedly having interest from all over Europe, he's not found another club.

Is he being too picky? Or has he just had no offers? Whatever the answer to this mystery is, the midfielder needs to buck up his ideas or his career could be over before it's even properly started.

Perhaps he'd have been better off taking Fulham's offer to stay at Craven Cottage.

https://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2020/12/11/ex-fulham-wonderkid-monitored-by-dortmund-2019-is-somehow-still-a-free-agent/

WhiteJC

Fulham have a distinct weakness, and Trent Alexander-Arnold is poised to take advantage

You can picture it now: The Robertson to Alexander-Arnold switch. With the latter back in the first-team fold and the former returning from a mid-week rest, the switch will be back in effect against Fulham

He surged forward from the right flank, going past a couple of Fulham players as he did so. The ball found its way across to the opposite side of the field where the left-back played a first-time cross back across the box for the striker to score from close range for the men from Merseyside. Six minutes later they scored again from a very similar move, with Scott Parker's side once more unable to defend the cross.

But enough about Everton's 3-2 victory at Craven Cottage, we're here to consider how Liverpool are going to approach their fixture on the banks of the Thames on Sunday. That opening paragraph certainly read like it could be a match report from the future though, with the Reds shifting the ball across to Andy Robertson for the Scot to wreak havoc, didn't it?

Liverpool's left-back has arguably been their player of the season so far, and the statistics bear out just how involved he has been. Robertson goes into the weekend having had more touches than any other player in the Premier League this season (per FBRef), and is the first to break the one thousand barrier in 2020/21.

He hasn't accumulated that figure by accident, of course, as he has also been the target for more passes than any other player in the English top-flight over the last 11 match weeks. Gabriel Magalhães of Arsenal is the only man in the division to have successfully received more passes than Robertson has, though the majority which have found their way to the Brazilian centre-back will have been of far less offensive potential compared to those which send the Reds' number 26 flying down the left.

The most common passer to Robertson has been Gini Wijnaldum, though as that duo have spent more time on the pitch together than any other combination of Liverpool players you care to mention so far this season, that is to be expected to some extent.

On a pro-rata basis, Thiago Alcântara leads the way, having passed to Robertson 19 times per 90 minutes. It will be fascinating to see if that relationship continues to blossom once the Spaniard recovers from the knee injury he suffered at Goodison Park.

But while it might not show up at the top of chart, the relationship between Trent Alexander-Arnold and Robertson has proven vital to Liverpool in the past, and now that the former has recovered from injury they can rekindle their connection.

There were countless important goals for Liverpool last season, but two of the more vital featured a pass from the full-back on the right to his colleague on the left. A switch of play was seen in the build-up to Mohamed Salah's goal in the Reds 3-1 win over Manchester City, and again for Naby Keita's opener in the must-win Champions League match in Salzburg.

For all that Neco Williams can offer when he plays, the young Welshman does not have the passing range of Liverpool's first-choice right-back. Williams has been successful with just one of his nine attempted long passes in the league this season (per WhoScored ), and it didn't find Robertson on the opposite flank.

And whether Alexander-Arnold is looking for Robertson or not, he helps the Reds to get the ball up the pitch. Despite missing three matches, he is still in the Premier League's top 10 players for both the number of progressive passes and the total distance gained from them in 2020/21 ( per FBRef ).

By re-joining the starting XI in the league, Trent will instigate the return of much of what makes Liverpool such a lethal attacking force. For a Fulham side who have already conceded goals from crosses and passes across their box to Leeds, Arsenal, Aston Villa, Crystal Palace and Everton, Alexander-Arnold's return only spells bad news to their hopes of taking anything from the match on Sunday.

https://www.liverpool.com/liverpool-fc-news/features/liverpool-fulham-premier-league-preview-19435338