Arsenal
0-1
Burnley
Leicester
3-0
Brighton

WhiteJC

Fulham 1-1 Liverpool

Bobby Decordova-Reid is Fulham's top scorer this season with four goals in 11 games

Liverpool missed out on the chance to go top of the Premier League and were somewhat fortunate to come away with a draw from a game in which they were second best for large periods to an impressive Fulham.

Mohamed Salah earned them their point, firing a low penalty under home goalkeeper Alphonse Areola after Aboubakar Kamara leapt in the wall and blocked a Georginio Wijnaldum free-kick with his arm.

Bobby Decordova-Reid had given Fulham the lead during a first half that the home side dominated and would have scored more in, but for returning Reds goalkeeper Alisson.

The Brazilian, who had missed the last two games through injury, twice denied Ivan Cavaleiro with fine saves after the Cottagers forward had broken through the Liverpool defence.

The visitors also survived an early shout for a penalty, that required referee Andre Marriner to come to the touchline VAR monitor to assess Fabinho's challenge on Cavaleiro, which saw him make contact with both man and ball.

They were further hampered when Joel Matip failed to come out for the second half, joining what is already an extensive injury list that has at times this campaign included most of their first-choice back five.

They stuck at the task, though, and improved after the break, with Jordan Henderson drawing a superb save from Areola before Salah was given his opportunity to salvage a point with 11 minutes to go.

With fans allowed into Craven Cottage for the first time this season, the home side were cheered from the pitch in recognition of their sterling efforts, and they now have eight points, two clear of the bottom three.

On a weekend that also saw Chelsea, Tottenham and both Manchester clubs drop points, Liverpool will be disappointed that they failed to take advantage, although they remain level on points at the top with Spurs, behind the Londoners only on goal difference.

Impressive Fulham rock sloppy Reds
It was always going to be a tough task for Liverpool to match their Herculean efforts from last season, which saw them dominate the competition to win the league at a canter.

They remain a potent side, as evidenced in recent demolitions of both Leicester and Wolves.

But there is also a frailty to the Reds this campaign, particularly in games away from home, in which they have now conceded 12 goals - a tally only surpassed by the struggling West Brom and Sheffield United - and failed to win in five.

Some of this is down to the Reds' well-publicised injury list, which still includes first-choice centre-back pairing Virgil van Dijk and Joe Gomez, until today also contained Alisson and Trent Alexander-Arnold, and was added to when Joel Matip failed to emerge for the second half.

On top of that, they also have Thiago, James Milner, Naby Keita, Xherdan Shaqiri and Diogo Jota sidelined through injury, the latter confirmed to be out for at least six weeks by Klopp before kick-off.

Even so, the XI named by Klopp should still have been a match for a Fulham side that had previously taken just seven points from their first 11 games.

That they did not is down to too many sloppy passes, too much hesitancy in defence and an inability to get the ball to their stellar front three with any accuracy or regularity.

They marginally improved on all counts after the break and began to find a rhythm more in keeping with their usual selves without regularly carving their opponents open.

The handball rule came to their aid and Salah does not miss from the spot.

Most of the credit must go to the home side, who beat Leicester a couple of games ago, gave Manchester City more of a game than many in defeat at the Etihad last Saturday and were superior to the champions for much of the 90 minutes a week later.

They understandably dropped deeper as the game wore on and became less of an attacking threat and relied on Areola a couple of times to keep Klopp's side at bay.

But on the evidence of a first half full of energy and endeavour, their current league position belies their ability.

'I feel a bit disappointed'
Fulham boss Scott Parker to BBC Sport: "I feel a bit disappointed. The players do as well. It shows how far we've come.

"There were two different halves. The first half, we were every bit of what we needed - commitment, energy, desire, passion. We showed a real quality and caused Liverpool problems.

"The second half panned out like everyone expected. Overall I'm very pleased.

"We came out of the blocks flying today. We showed our quality. We can play. I thought we did that very well in the first half."

Liverpool boss Jurgen Klopp: "In the first 30 minutes we were just not good. We could have lost the game in that period. After half an hour it was already better. The second half was good. We could have had more [goals].

"We are dealing with human beings and things like this happen.

"Yesterday all the teams that played in the Champions League had a tough one. It's crazy. Maybe this was the weekend we felt it a little bit.

"It doesn't help with the number of games that we have to play the same players. There was a push definitely - 100%.

"We move on. Tottenham is the next challenge."

Klopp's Reds the kings of recovering points
    Since Jurgen Klopp's first game in charge in October 2015, Liverpool have recovered more points from losing positions (85) than any other side in the Premier League.
    Liverpool are without a win in five away league outings (D4 L1), drawing their last four in a row; it's their joint-longest winless run away from home in the Premier League under Klopp (also five in March 2017).
    Having only earned four points from their opening nine league games this season (W1 D1 L7), Fulham have picked up four from their last three, against Leicester, Man City and Liverpool (W1 D1 L1).
    Fulham are the first newly promoted club to avoid defeat in a Premier League game against Liverpool since Newcastle United in October 2017 (also a 1-1 draw), ending the Reds' 18-game winning run against such sides in the league.
    Liverpool have now scored each of their last 18 Premier League penalties, with Mohamed Salah converting 12 of those.
    Salah scored his fifth away Premier League goal of the season for Liverpool, more than he managed in the entirety of 2019-20 (4).
    Salah has been directly involved in 20 goals in 20 Premier League appearances against newly promoted clubs for Liverpool, scoring 12 and assisting a further eight.
    Fulham's Bobby Decordova-Reid has scored in three consecutive home league appearances for the first time in his professional career. Seven of his nine Premier League goals have been scored in home games.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/55204248

WhiteJC

Parker's Post-Liverpool press conference

Scott Parker was a proud gaffer at full-time after witnessing a battling performance from his Fulham side against one of the best teams in the world.

The Head Coach praised every player out on the Cottage turf in a black and white shirt for their gutsy point gained against Liverpool.

"I'm very proud," he started. "I think effort, commitment, passion, a desire, we showed that in abundance today. I think its fair to say that's an ingredient we always show. But I think probably what pleased me the most tonight was the quality we showed.

"First half, I thought we showed some real quality. It was clear to see, the way we played, moved the ball, caused Liverpool who are a fantastic team, a lot of problems. On the scale of things, we could have gone in a couple of goals up in the first half.

"Overall, very proud, probably the team are a little disappointed - and myself really. It probably shows how far we've come in a short space of time, that we are disappointed coming off the pitch with a draw."

Parker was quizzed on the big decisions that cost his side the three points. He admitted in real time he didn't think Fulham should've been awarded a penalty for the foul on Ivan Cavaleiro, but after seeing it back changed his mind.

"In real time, I didn't think it was a penalty," he stated. "I didn't think it needed to be checked, I thought a corner was a correct decision.  What amazes me at that point, is that there is communication between VAR and the referee that you need to check this. He's then gone over to the screen and I've just seen it in the changing room, the boy, Fabinho, he's kicked Cavaleiro's leg and the balls gone out of play.

"We'll constantly be discussing this year, VAR, offsides, is this or that not correct? For me, this is one we don't need to discuss, it's a clear penalty. I don't want it to detract from the performance the boys put in tonight."

The return of fans was a huge plus for the squad today, with circa 2000 fans roaring the team on from the stands. The 40-year-old saluted their impact signalling that their impetus was felt.

"They were massive today, absolutely massive," he declared. "Our season ended for the fans after lockdown, which was disappointing. At the end of the season, when it was the final hurdle, then Wembley, our fans were not there to experience it, which was bitterly disappointing.

"To have the fans in here tonight was incredible, I thought the atmosphere from the start, the drive, the passion they showed, they showed exactly what I speak about to the team constantly, about an intent and drive. It sounds cliché and it sounds basic, about a never say die and stay in this. They epitomised that today.

"They were behind the team second half, when it is probably easy to be a bit negative, and think: 'this is tough here, this is Liverpool and we're under it a little bit.' They were a driving force for us and probably gave us that little bit extra. And when you are who you are this year, and where we are going to be; the fights we are going to have at times. They are going to be vitally important and I think they were incredible for us tonight."

https://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2020/december/Parker-s-Post-Liverpool-press conference/

WhiteJC

Graeme Souness says Liverpool 'got away with one' after Fulham are denied a penalty as fans rage following a coming together between Fabinho and Ivan Cavaleiro

Graeme Souness says Liverpool 'got away with' not conceding a penalty
    Fabinho brought down Ivan Cavaleiro in the first half of Sunday's encounter
    However, Andre Marriner did not overturn the decision when asked by VAR
    Souness says that the incident was a 'clear' penalty against his former club

Graeme Souness believes Liverpool 'got away with one' after referee Andre Marriner decided not to award Fulham a penalty after a coming together between Fabinho and Ivan Cavaleiro.

The Cottagers had a claim for a spot kick during the first half of their Premier League encounter after the Liverpool star appeared to go through Portuguese winger Cavaleiro to win the ball.

Marriner initially awarded Fulham a corner and VAR advised the official to review the incident on the pitchside monitor but the official decided not to award the west London club a penalty.

Graeme Souness believes Liverpool 'got away with' not conceding a penalty to Fulham

Fulham had a penalty shout denied after an incident between Fabinho and Ivan Cavaleiro

And Reds icon Souness believes that his former club were fortunate not to have conceded a spot kick to Scott Parker's outfit.

'I think it is a penalty,' Souness said on Sky Sports. 'I think when we see the challenge coming in he actually takes the Fulham player's leg so he can't plant it on the ground.

'I think Liverpool have got away with one there. Watch, he makes contact with the foot first which knocks his foot away from being able to plant it on the ground and he [Cavaliero] ends up kicking the ball out of play.

'I think he [Marriner] has got enough time [to review the incident]. This is clear and obvious to me, if he sees that angle there he has made contact with the Fulham player's leg and that prevents him from planting his left leg to cross the ball with his right leg.'

And Liverpool icon Souness says his former side should have conceded a spot kick on Sunday

Meanwhile, fans have reacted to the decision, with many expressing their disbelief in the Cottagers being denied a penalty.

'Stone wall for me, can't believe VAR didn't give that. Liverpool get given those all the time,' said one user.

'Referee made a bad mistake, that was a penalty,' another user wrote. 'The Liverpool player kicked the Fulham players foot/leg before any contact with the ball, VAR and the referee have failed us again!'

'Wow I've just seen the penalty that wasn't given against Liverpool. Disgusting officiating and how didn't VAR reverse the decision?' another fan said.

One fan added: 'In this VAR era this was a Penalty for me, think Liverpool got away with one there'.

The Premier League released the following statement relating to Marriner's decision:  'VAR advised the referee to review the incident at the Referee Review Area for a potential penalty. He stayed with the on-field decision of corner as he felt that Fabinho got the ball, and there was no evidence of a clear & obvious error'.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-9048835/Graeme-Souness-says-Liverpool-got-away-one-Fulham-denied-penalty.html

WhiteJC

Injury-stricken Liverpool miss chance to go top of Premier League following sluggish showing vs Fulham

Fulham vs Liverpool

Sunday's marquee Premier League tie played out a short time ago.

Liverpool faced a trip to Fulham, aiming to keep pace with table-topping Tottenham.

The Reds, despite their injury woes, headed into the clash in fine form, and even started the weekend with the best attacking record in the Premier League.

Fulham, on the other hand, sat down in 17th, having conceded 21 goals in 11 outings so far this season.

But, when all was said and done at Craven Cottage, a gutsy showing on the part of the hosts saw Liverpool forced to settle for a share of the spoils.

Fulham on top

Mario Lemina's speculative effort inside two minutes marked the first chance of the clash, as Fulham started brightly.

Fabinho was then forced into making some solid tackles and blocks to prevent another opportunity for Scott Parker's men.

Ivan Cavaleiro, though, managed to get a shot off minutes later, forcing a good save out of Alisson as the home side continued to dominate.

The Brazilian then denied Cavaleiro with another superb stop 14 minutes in.

Incredibly, the Fulham winger was then at it again minutes later, this time forcing Fabinho into a rather risky tackle, which was eventually decided as not worthy of a penalty, following a lengthy VAR review.

Surprisingly, Fulham continued to completely dominate the champions as proceedings wore on, with Ademola Lookman having forced another fine save out of Alisson 24 minutes in.

Then, finally, the home side were rewarded for their stellar start.

Liverpool didn't clear well enough from the corner which resulted from Lookman's aforementioned strike.

And, in turn, the wide-man slipped in Bobby Reid, who fired Parker's hosts into a deserved lead.

Liverpool's first decent chance of the evening didn't come until the 39th minute. Sadio Mane found himself free at the back post, but headed over from Curtis Jones' cross.

Just when Jurgen Klopp's side began to gain a foothold in the tie, however, the half-time whistle blew, with Fulham boasting a deserved 1-0 lead.

Liverpool miss chance to go top

Klopp made one change at the break, albeit not tactical, with the German having introduced Takumi Minamino for the injured Joel Matip.

This, of course, came on the same day that the German confirmed both Diogo Jota and Kostas Tsimikas are set for lengthy spells on the sidelines.

The change in question saw Jordan Henderson moved to a centre-back role, leaving Liverpool without a single recognised centre-back on the pitch.

Despite losing Matip, though, the Reds did start the second 45 fairly well.

Henderson came close to levelling things up just after the hour-mark, but Alphonse Areola saved well to deny the midfielder.

Barring that effort, however, Liverpool struggled to carve out clear-cut opportunities, with Fulham, despite their record this season, having continued to defend well, and keep a disciplined shape.

Unfortunately for the Cottagers, though, 15 minutes from time, the ludicrous handball rule cost them a penalty.

Mohamed Salah stepped up to convert the ensuing spot-kick, dealing the hosts a major blow.

A surging run from Jones nearly saw Liverpool add a second shortly after, but Areola saved well.

In the end, though, Liverpool were unable to muster up a crucial 2nd, as the final whistle blew with the score at 1-1, and the points shared. Klopp's men have now dropped 11 points already this season, compared to the 15 they let slip away throughout the entirety of last season.

Their latest result also means that, despite Tottenham dropping points earlier in the day, Liverpool have failed to regain top spot in the Premier League, remaining behind the Lilywhites on goal difference.

This makes Wednesday's showdown between the two sides an even more intriguing one when it comes to this season's title race.

https://www.101greatgoals.com/news/injury-stricken-liverpool-miss-chance-to-go-top-of-premier-league-following-sluggish-showing-vs-fulham/

WhiteJC

Fulham vs Liverpool result: Five things we learned as Reds fail to capitalise on rivals' dropped points

Fulham 1-1 Liverpool: Decordova-Reid hit the opener before Salah's late penalty shared the points

Liverpool were held by Fulham in a 1-1 draw in the Premier League on Sunday.

The home side started fast and Alisson was called into action three times in the opening minutes, before beating beaten by a thunderous strike by Bobby Decordova-Reid.

A Sadio Mane header off-target was the best that Liverpool could drum up in a first half which saw Fulham far brighter, harder-working and committing players forward at speed, while Jordan Henderson missed a great chance to equalise on the hour mark.

Liverpool were entirely dominant throughout the second half but it took a 79th-minute Mohamed Salah penalty to level matters following a handball, while Curtis Jones' dribble and shot, saved by Alphonse Areola, was the closest either team came to a winner.

Here are five things we learned from the game at Craven Cottage.

Fast-start Fulham
One of the big issues this season Fulham have faced has been starting Premier League matches at the requisite speed and intensity.

Against Arsenal, Leeds, Villa, Palace, Everton and most recently Man City, a goal has been conceded inside the first 10 minutes - it leaves them playing catch-up in the match and mentally struggling with the step-up in class, no doubt.

Here it was the complete opposite: from kick-off they were aggressive, quicker in the challenge, more inclined to get men forward and very fast in exchanging passes in the final third.

The home side were rewarded with a goal in the end but even beforehand they had seen two or three chances saved and had a penalty appeal turned down after a pitchside monitor check - they were simply better in every regard in that first 45 minutes and it made a huge difference to their game plan.

Salah still on course
It took a penalty, and he was due to be subbed just beforehand, but Mohamed Salah did score and took himself to double figures for the season in the Premier League in the process.

Alphonse Areola almost saved the spot-kick, which was far from the No. 11's most convincing hit, but the strike earned Liverpool______

Salah, along with Jamie Vardy, Harry Kane, Son Heung-min and Dominic Calvert-Lewin, is in a group of the in-form forwards in the league who are likely to be in the running for the Golden Boot this season.

He'll meet the Spurs duo in midweek, which could be an intriguing showing of who is most clinical.

Lookman serves reminder of talent
Ademola Lookman  hasn't had the best of times over the last 12 months or so, with his move to RB Leipzig not really working out, so the switch to Fulham gives him an interesting opportunity to reset.

His big headline of the season so far was a negative one, but there's plenty he does outside of the match-winning (or losing, as that one was) moments which can go overlooked at one of the league's lesser teams.

Here against Liverpool he was excellent: hard-working, electric with his first touch and movement, always looking to come in and shoot on his right foot and troubling Trent Alexander-Arnold enormously.

After the break he was the regular outlet, the dribbling, energetic runner who gave them an out-ball to relieve pressure and force Liverpool back from time to time - an outstanding outing all-round, other than his rather awful lunging tackle on Neco Williams late on.

At the bottom...
It is looking already as though it'll be three teams from four who face relegation this season.

Fulham and fellow new arrivals West Brom are in that group, along with Burnley and the woefully out-of-sorts Sheffield United, but the Cottagers are the side outside the drop zone at present.

One point in those circumstances, particularly against the reigning champions, is an absolutely huge result - and the fans' cheer at the end of the game signified as much.

There's a two-point buffer into the bottom three now, which is a nice gap at this stage, along with the confidence which will come from the result.

...and the top
Liverpool were presented with a great chance to go top, ahead and clear of Tottenham, after Spurs were held to a draw by Crystal Palace earlier in the day.

But on a weekend where both Manchester clubs and Chelsea also dropped points, Liverpool went and did the same - largely due to the terrible first-half performance.

There won't be too much panic from Jurgen Klopp and his staff, more a sense of frustration that so many players were below-par.

Next time out must be very different though, with that top spot very much up for grabs on Wednesday night at Anfield.

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/fulham/liverpool-result-score-talking-points-b1772411.html

WhiteJC

Fulham battle hard for point against Liverpool

Fulham welcomed back fans to Craven Cottage with a battling display to hold champions Liverpool.

A thumping first-half strike from Bobby Decordova-Reid gave the Whites a thoroughly deserved lead as they dominated the opening period.

But Mohamed Salah's penalty 11 minutes from time salvaged a point for Jurgen Klopp's under-par side.

Fulham could have been out of sight at half-time with Allison Becker twice coming to his side's rescue when he denied Ivan Cavaleiro from close range.

Andre-Frank Zamba Anguissa then missed a glorious chance to make it 2-0 when he was found unmarked in the box from a Cavaleiro free-kick but side-footed against the post.

Liverpool were much improved after the break, with Salah's venomous effort that looked destined for the top corner fisted away by Alphonse Areola shortly after the restart.

The giant Frenchman then made another crucial save on the hour mark to thwart Jordan Henderson, who had been put clear by Sadio Mane.

Parity was restored when Georginio Wijnaldum's free-kick struck the elbow of Aboubakar Kamara in the wall and Salah converted the subsequent spot-kick.

Areola then came to his side's rescue again five minutes from time when he prevented Curtis Jones from scoring a stunning solo goal

Liverpool pressed hard for a late winner but Fulham held out for a deserved and much-needed point.

Fulham: Areola, Aina, Andersen, Adarabioyo, De Cordova-Reid, Anguissa, Lemina (Reed 79), Robinson, Lookman (Bryan 88), Loftus-Cheek (Kamara 70), Cavaleiro.

https://www.westlondonsport.com/fulham/fulham-battle-hard-for-point-against-liverpool

WhiteJC

Fulham 1-1 Liverpool: Pundit claims Bobby Reid's goal should have been disallowed

Liverpool played out a 1-1 draw with Fulham at Craven Cottage on Sunday.

Bobby Reid opened the scoring midway through the first half before Mohamed Salah equalised from the penalty spot with 10 minutes remaining.

But should Fulham's opening goal have been allowed to stand?

There were some Liverpool fans on social media who were convinced that VAR should have intervened after Mohamed Salah was pushed in the build-up to the goal.

Salah lost his balance but didn't go to ground. Referee Andre Marriner appeared to have a perfect view of the incident and clearly didn't feel the push warranted a free-kick.

Seconds later the ball broke to Reid, who rifled the ball into the bottom corner past Alisson.

You can watch the goal here...

The incident was analysed by beIN Sports pundits Richard Keys and Andy Gray at half-time.

While Gray agreed that the goal was legal, his co-host Keys believes the goal should have been ruled out by VAR.

"Hold on. He's put his hands on his back, so he's pushed him?" Keys asked Gray.

Gray responded: "He's edged him, yes."

Keys then replied: "Well then, that's a free-kick."

Gray asked whether this was enough for VAR to get involved?

"For me, yes!" Keys said. "For me there's more reason for VAR to be involved there than there is for the penalty."

Watch the discussion here...

It's certainly an interesting point of view and one that will split opinion.

Jurgen Klopp, however, was in complete agreement in his post-match interview...

The decision to award Liverpool a penalty late in the second half has also divided opinion on social media.

According to the current laws of the game, the correct decision was made.

However, there were just as many people baffled by the decision.

https://www.givemesport.com/1627563-fulham-11-liverpool-pundit-claims-bobby-reids-goal-should-have-been-disallowed

WhiteJC

Spirited Fulham hold Liverpool in further evidence of exhilarating title race ahead

Fulham 1-1 Liverpool: The champions went behind to a Bobby Reid goal but earned a point at the Cottage thanks to Mohamed Salah's penalty

It was looking like one of those days for Liverpool, but ended being one of those decisions: a penalty call that can only really come with the way the rules have been contorted in the modern game.

Substitute Aboubakar Kamara jumped for Gini Wijnaldum's free-kick and naturally brought his arm up with him, the ball hit it, and a penalty was given. A below-par Liverpool had the chance that their play wasn't really bringing, to earn a 1-1 draw in the face of a fine Fulham performance.

Scott Parker's side felt like they deserved more, if as much for admirable commitment.

That added to the evidence that they look good for survival, but also that this could be a much wilder title race than we've become accustomed to over the last few years - with a lot more slips and twists.

Look at how this day alone went, ahead of what already looks a showdown between Liverpool and Tottenham Hotspur on Wednesday.

Jose Mourinho's team had looked like they'd squandered the chance to go top in their own right and pull five points clear of the pack beyond Liverpool, only for the champions to fall behind, and then get a fortuitous draw that keeps everything as congested as the Fulham area. The home side defended superbly for most of the game, having attacked excellently for the opening 35 minutes.

It was no exaggeration to say Fulham could have been two or even three ahead by half-time - and that's before you even get into whether Fabinho's first-half tackle should have been a penalty. They were several levels ahead of Liverpool in terms of energy, and that put them a level ahead in terms of performance.

Within Fulham's superior industry, though, there was the insight and incisiveness of Ademola Lookman. He was central to everything they did, including the Bobby Reid goal.

Those angled through balls were joyous, ran the first half, and caused Liverpool so many problems. Klopp's defence were already given multiple warnings before the goal.

Ivan Cavaleiro had already been put through twice to bring saves from Alisson, but the second involved the most inviting clip through from Lookman that was just begging to be wrapped into the corner. Cavaleiro instead put it straight at the goalkeeper.

That wasn't a problem with Reid's strike. After yet another fine ball from Lookman, the wing-back fired the ball into the far corner from distance.

It was a strike that reflected the ambition and assertiveness of Fulham's performance, especially against the raggedness of Liverpool.

Where Antonee Robinson or Tosin Adarabioyo were at that point meeting everything with full-blooded conviction, Klopp's players were so off the level. In one moment, Jordan Henderson was mishitting a simple pass at Trent Alexander-Arnold's face.

In another, Andy Robertson was so struggling to just get rid of a cross that Alisson had to desperately beat it away to prevent an own goal.

It wasn't just a question of application, though.

Parker had come up with a system that was giving Liverpool absolutely no space in the centre, and also forcing them down avenues out wide.

It did mean the match evolved into one of those classic tetchy title-race games - even if this early - as the higher-quality side were forced to be patient and try to create openings against very disciplined opposition.

Curtis Jones was a bright spot for Liverpool in this regard. In a game that was crying out for Thiago Alcantara, he was providing the most perceptive moments, and looked likeliest to create. Sadio Mane should have finished one excellent first-half Curtis cross.

Roberto Firmino has been badly lacking with that of late, but provided the pass that should have resulted in an equaliser. The Brazilian poked through in the manner you would associate with his best form, but Henderson offered the worst possible finish as he hit it straight at Alphonse Areola with the goal at his mercy.

Wijnaldum eventually had that wall at his mercy on the 78th minute. That isn't to say the moment wasn't a penalty by the rules, but the issue is how the interpretation and application of the rules is evolving.

At the very least, the end result means this title race is evolving into something exhilarating. Wednesday night looks all the better - as do Fulham's chances at the other end.

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/fulham/liverpool-result-final-score-salah-b1772509.html

WhiteJC

Fulham serve up a treat for returning fans - and come so close to defeating champions Liverpool

Fulham 1 Liverpool 1

Fulham came within a whisker of defeating the champions – undone by a late penalty – but turned in their best performance of the season to give their confidence a massive shot in the arm.

Maybe it just needed the presence of their fans for the first time since February to help generate the right ambience and intensity.

Maybe it was the lightning-quick jump out of the blocks by the Whites which set the tone the moment the players had risen to their feet after taking the pre-match knee.

Whatever it was, it was the sort of performance which guarantees a rise in stock for both the team and the head coach. Aside from the Wembley play-off final, this felt like Scott Parker's best day in management.

Bobby Decordova-Reid put Fulham in dreamland with a 25th minute goal which was thoroughly merited. Equally impressive was the way the Whites defended as a unit to hold the lead until the 78th minute.

And how was it that a previously hopeless defence should rise to the challenge of so very nearly becoming the first team to keep a clean sheet against Liverpool in the Premier League this season?

The protection from holding midfielders Mario Lemina and Andre-Frank Zambo Anguissa gave the Whites such a compact look, but to a man the players ran themselves into the ground.

There will surely be greater belief now that they have the set-up to defy the early-season relegation prognosis. The fans back at the Putney and Hammersmith ends were served up a treat.

Alisson returned for the champions and had to make three big saves in the opening 20 minutes during a ferocious overture from the Whites.

Ruben Loftus-Cheek – again looking a player of international caliber – set Ivan Cavaleiro free in the opening moments and a it needed strong arms from the keeper to deflect a powerful rising shot over.

Then, a neat pass from an on-fire Ademola Lookman gave the Portuguese striker another chance –Antonee Robinson also prominent in the move - which he failed to take after not quite opening up his body enough to curl past Alisson from inside the area.

Lookman darted in from the left to arrow a great low shot towards the far corner that was expertly tipped aside, but from the flag-kick that followed, Liverpool did not clear their lines and Lookman steered the ball into space on the right edge of the area for Decordova-Reid to lash in his fourth league goal of the campaign.

Such a breathless start. And amongst it all, there was even almost a penalty for Parker's men after a VAR check for a possible foul by Fabinho on Cavaleiro.

By contrast, there were only two half-chances towards the end of the half for Jurgen Klopp's men, with Sadio Mane heading over and Mo Salah shooting wide on the turn.

In the drizzle, Fulham caused a moment of panic in the Reds' defence soon after the restart, but it was inevitable that the visitors would see more of the ball and ask more questions than they did in the first 45 minutes.

Alphonse Areola made a superb save to deny Jordan Henderson after the midfielder had ghosted through a thicket of players to find Bobby Firmino's clever through ball.

But 12 minutes from time, just as it was beginning to look like Fulham's day, a Gini Wijnaldum free-kick was handled by Abou Kamara, leaping in the wall with a raised elbow. Salah put the spot-kick away.

Areola saved from Curtis Jones during a late Reds onslaught, but a goal then would have been a real travesty for the Whites, who definitely deserved something for their endeavours.

This performance was also a fitting tribute to the memory of their former warrior Papa Bouba Diop, who recently passed away at a ridiculously young age. You could imagine him in the middle of a battle like this one, which he would have relished.

Fulham: Areola – Aina, Andersen, Adarabioyo – Reid, Anguissa, Lemina (Reed 80), Robinson – Loftus-Cheek (Kamara 74) – Lookman (Bryan 88), Cavaleiro. Subs not used: Kebano, Cairney, Rodak, Ream

https://www.capitalfootball.co.uk/single-post/fulham-serve-up-a-treat-for-returning-fans-and-come-so-close-to-defeating-champions-liverpool

WhiteJC

Feisty Fulham make their point

It says something about the strength of Fulham's performance against the defending champions that they will be disappointed with only picking up a point against Liverpool this afternoon. They could easily have led by more than Bobby Decordova-Reid's powerful drive at half time, especially had Fabinho been punished when catching Ivan Cavaleiro in the box. As it was, Jurgen Klopp's side were indebted to the returning Alisson for keeping them in the game and then for the penalty tucked away by Mo Salah after Aboubakar Kamara was adjudged to have handled Gio Wijnaldum's free-kick.

Alphonse Areola perhaps should have saved the poorly struck penalty, but Scott Parker would have been very pleased both by Fulham's application throughout and their character to withstand a late Liverpool onslaught after their leveller. The visitors struggled to break down Fulham's disciplined five-man defence throughout, but were even unable to carve out clear chances after getting back on level terms. Their best performer, young midfielder Curtis Jones, came the closest but even his low shot at the end of a determined run lacked conviction as he bore down on Areola.

Any observer seeing the scoreline might think Fulham had mounted a defensive rearguard from the outset, but nothing could have been further from the truth. Parker's side have grown in confidence since a dreadful start to the season, buoyed by recent wins over West Bromwich Albion and at Leicester. Cavaleiro exploited a nervousness in a Liverpool defence without Virgil van Dijk racing behind the back four twice in the first quarter of an hour but was denied by smart saves from Allison. When referee Martin Atkinson declined to penalise Fabinho for a rash tackle on the Portuguese forward despite being sent to view the video monitor, Fulham might have been forgiven for thinking it wasn't going to be their day.

But Parker's side continued to be adventurous and eventually got their reward. Ademola Lookman, who gave Trent Alexander-Arnold a torrid time down the Fulham left, lashed a drive from distance that Alisson did well to turn behind and then had a part to play in the opener. After Antonee Robinson had held his ground against Salah as Liverpool tried to clear the corner, the excellent Andre-Frank Zambo Anguissa poked it to Lookman, whose deft pass created some room for Decordova-Reid to find the bottom corner from just outside the area.

That prompted Klopp to scream at his charges to wake up, but there was little evidence that they had heeded his instructions before the break. A storming run down the flank from Lookman almost engineered another opening and it took 35 minutes for Liverpool to have a touch inside the Fulham box. When they did create an opening, Sadio Mane was uncharacteristically wasteful – heading over from Jones' lovely dinked cross – and even Salah spurned a chance after turning smartly in the box on the stroke of half-time.

Liverpool still looked shaky after the break, with Cavaleiro almost taking advantage of a mix-up between Andy Robertson and Alisson as the full back looked to take an extra touch inside the six-yard box. A sign of the champions' threat arrived as they swept up the other end and a powerful strike from Salah was superbly saved by Areola. The visitors gradually pressed Fulham further backwards, but Jordan Henderson, pressed into service as an emergency centre back after a back injury ended Joel Matip's afternoon, was denied by an excellent stop from Areola.

Fulham threatened sporadically on the counter-attack and Toisin Adarabioyo sent a header over from a corner and they may count themselves unfortunate to have been punished when Cavaleiro, trying to tackle back in the manner his team-mates had done so effectively, caught Jones on the edge of the box after another mazy run. Wijnaldum looked to lift his free-kick over the wall, with the ball striking Kamara on the arm as he jumped in the wall. Marriner pointed immediately to the spot – and Areola wasn't able to keep up Salah's unconvincing penalty.

Despite not being able to hold on for a win, this was a significant result for a Fulham side who were written off by almost everyone at the start of the season. Parker has gradually instilled belief in his players and, if they repeat this level of energy, application and adventure regularly, they should have more than enough to survive. On a day when the fans got a glimpse of what they've been missing in ten months away from Craven Cottage, the Whites gave their supporters plenty to cheer.

FULHAM (5-2-3): Areola; Decordova-Reid, Robinson, Andersen, Aina, Adarabioyo; Lemina (Reed 80), Anguissa; Loftus-Cheek (Kamara 74), Cavaleiro, Lookman (Bryan 88). Subs (not used): Rodak, Ream, Cairney, Kebano, Kamara.

BOOKED: Andersen, Lemina, Lookman.

GOAL: Decordova-Reid (26).

07802 787 917

LIVERPOOL (4-3-3): Alisson; Alexander-Arnold (Williams 68), Robertson, Matip (Minamino 45), Fabinho; Wijnaldum, Henderson, Jones; Mane, Salah (Origi 84), Firmino. Subs (not used): Kelleher, Phillips, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Cain, Origi.

BOOKED: Jones.

GOAL: Salah (pen 79).

REFEREE: Andre Marriner (Birmingham).

https://hammyend.com/index.php/2020/12/feisty-fulham-make-their-point/

WhiteJC

Premier League Explain Why Fulham Did Not Get Penalty for Fabinho Challenge

This was the challenge in question | Pool/Getty Images

The Premier League have released a statement explaining why Fulham were not given a penalty in the first half of their 1-1 draw with Liverpool on Sunday.

With 16 minutes on the clock and the game goalless, Ivan Cavaleiro was tackled by Fabinho in the Liverpool box. Play was then halted while VAR checked whether the challenge had been a foul.

After a delay of three minutes - and referee Andre Mariner watching the incident on the pitchside monitor - a decision of 'No Penalty' was finally reached.

The lengthy delay and the call itself was criticised on social media, with the Premier League releasing a statement clarifying why the spot kick had not been given.

"VAR advised the referee to review the incident at the Referee Review Area for a potential penalty. He stayed with the on-field decision of corner as he felt that Fabinho got the ball, and there was no evidence of a clear & obvious error," it read, as reported by Rob Harris.

Soon after the VAR review Fulham took the lead through Bobby Decordova-Reid, who fired a fierce shot past the returning Alisson in the Reds' goal. The goal was just reward for the Cottagers' flying start to proceedings, with the Brazilian forced into a string of fine saves beforehand.

Key to their dominance was the all-action displays of midfielders Mario Lemina and Andre-Frank Zambo Anguissa, while the back three also looked impenetrable throughout.

However, the hosts could not quite hold on to the win. More penalty controversy would follow in the second half with substitute Aboubakar Kamara penalised when the ball struck his elbow straight from a fierce free kick. Mohamed Salah made no mistake from the spot, sparing his side's blushes by earning them an away point.

https://www.90min.com/posts/premier-league-explain-why-fulham-did-not-get-penalty-for-fabinho-challenge

WhiteJC

Gary Neville mocks Jamie Carragher with old Fulham prediction as Liverpool draw

Liverpool were forced to work for a 1-1 draw against Fulham – and Gary Neville took the chance to remind Sky Sports colleague Jamie Carragher of his brutal prediction for the London club

Sky Sports pundit Gary Neville mocked colleague Jamie Carragher on Twitter by re-sharing his Fulham predictions for the season after drawing against Liverpool.

The Cottagers came our firing against the Premier League champions as they secured a 1-1 draw at Craven Cottage.

Bobby Decordova-Reid fired an unstoppable shot past Alisson on 25 minutes before Mohamed Salah equalised from the penalty spot.

It means that Scott Parker's side remain in 17th, sitting two points above the relegation zone ahead of Burnley's clash against Arsenal.

And Neville took this as a chance to remind Carragher of his brutal assessment on Fulham early into the season.

Speaking at the end of September after the club had lost their first two league games, the former defender told Sky Sports [via Pundit Arena] : "They were a mess the last time they came up.

"I'm more certain of Fulham going down than Liverpool winning the league.

"What we saw there defensively was actually unbelievable. Fulham were fortunate that there was another game on tonight and that we didn't properly analyse the goals.

What we saw from Denis Odoi was unbelievable. It was unbelievable what we saw in terms of the goals.

"They were a mess the last time they came up. What they don't want to be this year is a mess. They're going down, but it's almost like they should go down together. Be a club, stick together."

Carragher also laid into Fulham's owner Tony Khan, dubbing the businessman a "clown" following his comments on social media over the summer.

This article was re-shared by Neville on Twitter moments after Decordova-Reid's strike hit the back of the net.

Sharing a screen grab of the story, he simply shared the eyes emojis three times – and it has earned thousands of likes within an hour of posting.

While Fulham enjoyed taking a point from Liverpool, Daily Star have taken a look at the winners and losers in the Liverpool squad from the draw.

https://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/gary-neville-jamie-carragher-fulham-23161959

WhiteJC

Parker 'disappointed' to only draw with Liverpool; left baffled by non-penalty

Fulham manager Scott Parker insisted it shows how far his side have come to be left disappointed with picking up just one point versus Liverpool.

The Cottagers produced a flying start to put Liverpool under all sorts of pressure in the early stages.

Their weight of chances eventually paid off when Bobby Reid handed them a first-half lead, though a late Mohamed Salah penalty ensured the spoils were shared.

Speaking to Sky Sports after the match, Parker said: "I feel a bit disappointed. The players do as well. It shows how far we've come.

"There were two different halves. The first half, we were every bit of what we needed – commitment, energy, desire, passion. We showed a real quality and caused Liverpool problems.

"The second half panned out like everyone expected. Overall I'm very pleased.

"We came out of the blocks flying today. We showed our quality. We can play. I thought we did that very well in the first half."

Parker can't "understand" penalty incident
A Fabinho challenge inside the area produced a multi-minute VAR check for a penalty that split opinion across the media.

On the incident, Parker said: "At real speed I didn't think it was a penalty. I didn't even contemplate it. But it's gone to VAR asking him to check the monitor. I've seen it, I don't understand how he hasn't given a penalty.

"Their player had to hit my player's foot to get the ball. I don't understand how we can have a discussion about that penalty. I understand in real time but we have VAR.

"We were resilient today. We closed up. We've all seen late goals [from Liverpool], a real endeavour to score the winner but we stood strong.

"Last three games – Leicester, Manchester City and Liverpool – I don't think anyone would have given us a chance. We've got four points from those three games that people wouldn't have believed."

https://www.teamtalk.com/news/parker-disappointed-draw-liverpool-baffled-non-penalty

WhiteJC

Parker proud after Fulham impress against Liverpool

Fulham boss Scott Parker says his improving side are showing they have what it takes to remain in the Premier League after holding Liverpool to a 1-1 draw.

They were great value for a point against the champions, having dominated the first half and defended well for large parts of the second period.

The result follows a recent 2-1 win over high-flying Leicester and Parker said his players are showing the fight needed to ensure they don't make an instant return to the Championship like they did two seasons ago.

"I am very proud of my players," Parker said.

"Effort, passion, commitment we showed that in abundance and that is a constant ingredient my team always show.

"But what pleased me most was the quality we showed.

"Liverpool are a fantastic team and we caused them a lot of problems and could have gone in a couple of goals up."

Fulham led through Bobby Decordova-Reid's first-half goal until Mohamed Salah equalised with a 79th-minute penalty.

"We are disappointed with a point which shows how far we have come this season," Parker said.

https://www.westlondonsport.com/fulham/fulham-mohamed-salah-liverpool-draw

WhiteJC

Proud Fulham boss delighted with passion and drive - in spite of 'clear penalty' controversy

Scott Parker felt Fulham were denied an obvious penalty in their Sunday afternoon draw with Liverpool – but said he did not want the controversy to detract from his side's scintillating performance.

The Whites turned in their best display of the season against the champions, and came very close to claiming all three points. It needed a late Mo Salah penalty to cancel out a Bobby Decordova-Reid strike as the game finished 1-1.

"We're probably a little bit disappointed, the team are as well as me, and that shows how far we've come in a short space of time," Parker said.

"I don't understand why we didn't get a penalty. In real time, I didn't think it was a penalty and didn't think it was something that was even going to be checked. I thought a corner was a correct decision.

"What amazes me is that at that point, there's communication between VAR and the referee to say you need to check this. He's then gone over to the screen and I've just seen it in the changing room that [Liverpool defender] Fabinho has kicked Ivan Cavaleiro's leg to send the ball out of play.

"If we didn't have VAR, I wouldn't be saying a word about this, but it's there to help. For me, this is not subjective, it's a clear penalty, but I don't want it to detract from the performance the boys put in tonight."

Parker added: "I'm very proud. Effort, commitment, passion, desire...we showed that in abundance today and that's an ingredient that my team, I think it's fair to say, always shows.

"Probably what pleased me most tonight was the quality we showed. First half, I think we showed some real quality. The way we played, moved the ball, caused Liverpool – who are a fantastic team – a lot of problems. On the scale of things, we probably could have gone in a couple of goals up.

"I honestly believe we're heading in the right direction. I'm constantly saying there are going to be some bumps along the way this year and it's going to be difficult for us at times, but we have a constant belief and endeavour to improve, keep learning."

It was the first game back at the Cottage for 2,000 lucky season-ticket holders – the result of the relaxation in rules allowing supporters to return for the first time since February. Parker was full of praise for the part they played.

"The fans were massive today," he said. "The season ended for them after lockdown last year, which was disappointing when we had the final hurdle to get over to gain promotion and our fans weren't there to experience it. 

"So, to have the fans in here tonight was incredible. I thought the atmosphere from the start – the drive and passion they showed was very important – they were incredible for us."

Liverpool boss Jurgen Klopp said: "It took us half an hour to get going and of course that makes the game more difficult then.

"First time supporters here for a long, long time obviously created an atmosphere and we helped Fulham a lot to create that atmosphere. 

"They played differently from the way they usually play, with direct balls, high balls, second balls, free-kicks, these kinds of things. In the first half an hour, we could have lost the game and in the next 60 minutes, we should have won it."

https://www.capitalfootball.co.uk/single-post/proud-fulham-boss-delighted-with-passion-and-drive-in-spite-of-clear-penalty-controversy

WhiteJC

Parker 'disappointed' by Liverpool draw

Scott Parker professed himself 'disappointed' after his Fulham side were denied a famous win over Liverpool by a late Mo Salah spot-kick – but believes having to settle for a point against the defending champions shows how far his team have come.

The Fulham boss was delighted with his side's adventure and commitment as they took the game to Liverpool during a lively first half, where they could easily have been ahead by more than Bobby Decordova-Reid's venomous drive. That the Whites were penned back for long periods of the second period was to be expected, but – speaking to Sky Sports after the final whistle – Parker was delighted with his side's showing.

I feel a bit disappointed. The players do as well. It shows how far we've come. There were two different halves. The first half, we were every bit of what we needed – commitment, energy, desire, passion. We showed a real quality and caused Liverpool problems.

The second half panned out like everyone expected. Overall I'm very pleased. We came out of the blocks flying today. We showed our quality. We can play. I thought we did that very well in the first half.

Parker was also non-plussed by Andre Marriner's decision not to award Fulham a penalty when Fabinho brought down Ivan Cavaleiro, even though the referee was advised to go and view the incident on the pitchside monitor.

At real speed I didn't think it was a penalty. I didn't even contemplate it. But it's gone to VAR asking him to check the monitor. I've seen it, I don't understand how he hasn't given a penalty. Their player had to hit my player's foot to get the ball. I don't understand how we can have a discussion about that penalty. I understand in real time but we have VAR.

Parker feels the point proves that Fulham are gradually becoming far more competitive as they adjust to life in the top flight.

We were resilient today. We closed up. We've all seen late goals [from Liverpool], a real endeavour to score the winner but we stood strong. Last three games – Leicester, Manchester City and Liverpool – I don't think anyone would have given us a chance. We've got four points from those three games that people wouldn't have believed

https://hammyend.com/index.php/2020/12/parker-disappointed-by-liverpool-draw/

WhiteJC

Every word Scott Parker said on Liverpool, VAR failure and Aleksandar Mitrovic injury

The Fulham boss was impressed with his side but he was disappointed not to see three points

How proud are you?
I'm very proud. I think effort commitment, passion, desire - we showed that in abudance today. That's an ingredient my team always show but what pleased me most was the quality we showed.

It was clear to see in the way we played, moved the ball, caused Liverpool, who are a fantastic team, a lot of problems and on the scale of things could have gone in a couple of goals up.

Second half in terms of commitment and desire and passion we showed and the game panned out that way second half. Overall very proud of the team. Probably a little bit disappointed - the team and myself - which shows hwo far we've come ina short space of time coming of the pitch with just a draw.

Understand not getting a penalty?
No, I don't. Real time I thought it wasn't something that didn't need checked. What amazes me at that point is there's communication between VAR and the referee to say 'I think you need to check this', he's then gone over to the screen. I've just seen it in the changing room, Fabinho has kicked Cavaleiro's legs for the ball to then go out of play.

If we didn't have VAR, I wouldn't say a word about this. We've got VAR to help us. He's then gone to the screen and still decided not to give a penalty.

We'll constantly this year be discussing VAR, discussing offsides. For me this is not one we should discuss, it is not subjective. This is a clear penalty. It is what it is and I don't want that to detract from the performance.

Feel Fulham are going in the right directions?
Yeah, I've felt like that for large parts. This team came up from fourth position in the Championship, we had a quick turnaround because our season went on longer. In a short space of time new players have come in and we're going into the right direction.

There's going to be bumps along the way and some challenges but with a constant belief and endeavour about us to keep improving - we live in a world where everything is so drastic - one bad performance from a player he should never play again, one good performance they're the best. You need to stay level. That's my constant message to this team 'stay level, keep learning, improving, listening' and I feel we're doing that in the right way.

Impact of supporters?
They were massive today. Absolutely massive. Our season ended for the fans after lockdown last year which was disappointing. At the end of the season, our fans weren't there to experience it and that was bitterly disappointing.

To have the fans in here tonight was incredible. I thought the atmosphere from the start and the drive and passion they showed - they probably showed exactly what I speak to the team about. An intent, a drive, it's cliche and it sounds basic but a never say die, and they epitomised that.

Second half when it's easy to be a bit negative and think 'this is tough here, it's Liverpool and we're under it' they were a driving force and gave us an extra bit.

The fights we're going to have a times they're going to be vitally important. I thought they were incredible tonight for us.

Did you think Robinson fouled Salah in the build up to Fulham's goal? Have you seen it back?
No, I've not seen it. I didn't realise at the time. I've literally come in and the first thing I wanted to look at was the penalty decision. I don't know maybe there is a point, I wouldn't want to comment.

When VAR is involved in the game at this present moment in time it becomes a shouting match between everyone and everything. Constantly 'let's check that, let's check this', that's the way the game is going.

Four points from three really tough games...
Absolutely delighted, I don't think there's any person out there that would have said we would have got four points We went to Leicester away from home, who if they beat us went top of the league, we then went to Manchester City and put in a valid display but didn't show enough about us and today against Liverpool and we're disappointed with a point.

I've said it from the outset. I believe in this team. There's still loads of areas we need to improve and get better but overall delighted. We need to now not lose focus of what we've got over last three games. Big game now here against Brighton and then against Newcastle. We need to maintain where we are and keep improving,

Update on Aleksandar Mitrovic's injury
He just rolled his ankle in the week and was just a little bit too early for him today.

https://www.football.london/fulham-fc/every-word-scott-parker-said-19451768

WhiteJC

Premier League: Is the return of fans giving the supposed underdogs more bite?

There may have only been 2,000 Crystal Palace fans in Selhurst Park on Sunday - but the noise which greeted their late equaliser against Tottenham belied the sparse numbers.

It was a similar story at Everton on Saturday and Fulham and Southampton on Sunday - all three sides buoyed by the presence of their supporters as they picked up positive results.

"Everton seemed to benefit, Crystal Palace seemed to benefit - Arsenal didn't seem to benefit," was former Norwich and Blackburn striker Chris Sutton's view.

For Arsenal, what started as the jubilant return of fans to the Emirates ended in the Gunners' players being booed off by the couple of thousand in attendance as their side went down 1-0 at home to Burnley on Sunday to continue their poor start to the season.

It was perhaps always going to be difficult for 2,000 fans to make a significant impact in a 60,000-seater stadium, but at the smaller grounds in the Premier League, the outcome was different.

Would Palace have found a way to snatch a draw from the Premier League leaders if their south London home had remained empty, like it had been for most of the year because of the pandemic?

Would Fulham have taken a point - and for large periods outplay - the Premier League champions Liverpool?

We'll never know the answer, but both games served as a visceral reminder of the noise and urgency supporters can give a supposed underdog.

Fans, of course, were back in Premier League grounds last weekend - in areas that are not under tier three restrictions - but while Chelsea, Tottenham and Liverpool secured wins in front of their own fans, this time it was the turn of the lesser-fancied sides, who arguably need that cliched 12th man a bit more to upset the odds.

"The fans were unbelievable today - what a difference it made," said Fulham boss Scott Parker.

"The energy when the players were warming up... This is the first game they've come back into the stadium to see Premier League football and they've made a massive difference.

"They epitomise everything I speak about week in week out - what I say to my players and to the media, the fans showed that today and they were fantastic."

Liverpool boss Jurgen Klopp felt the presence of home supporters contributed to the result.

"It's the first time supporters are here for a long, long time and they obviously create an atmosphere, and it helped Fulham a lot to create that atmosphere," he said.

"They played different to the way they usually play - long balls, high balls, these kind of things."

Southampton are a side who don't need too much help right now, moving up to third in the table with a 3-0 win over bottom club Sheffield United.

But boss Ralph Hasenhuttl told Sky Sports he was "emotional with a few tears in my eyes" to see 2,000 fans in St Mary's Stadium.

"It's wonderful in front of our fans. It's great to have them back," he said.

"It's only 2,000 but you could feel how much they enjoyed watching us. We gave them what we feel they should see from us."

Everton were slipping down the table after making a lightning fast start to the season but, with the backing of their fans, they upset a Chelsea side that had lost just once this term before making the trip north to Goodison Park.

"It made a lot of difference, a totally different atmosphere," said Toffees boss Carlo Ancelotti. "We had only 2,000 but the atmosphere was completely different.

"We are really happy for this. I hope all the crowd will be [back] soon as possible."

Fulham fans made a welcome return to walking to Craven Cottage for a game for the first time this season

Crystal Palace fan Adrian was one of the lucky few that was able to take his place in the stands and watch the Eagles hold Tottenham.

"It was great to get back in the stadium, really brilliant positive vibe and a good atmosphere," he said on BBC Radio 5 Live's 606. "Palace were loud, singing and cheering, really great.

"I think we had an advantage without a doubt. I think you could tell by the players' reaction to the game that it helped; we played much more as a team I feel."

While the return of fans' support is an obvious boost for the atmosphere at football matches, so too is there presence for when things are not going quite their side's way.

"Far too often since the pandemic it's been really soulless at games and like being at a training match," former Middlesbrough goalkeeper Mark Schwarzer said on 5 Live.

"This is now bringing it back to what it's really like to play in a Premier League match with fans there, being scrutinised by the fans.

"Accountability is finally back in football."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/55295796

WhiteJC

Garth Crooks' team of the week: Emiliano Martinez, Angelo Ogbonna, Jordan Henderson, Jamie Vardy

Tottenham Hotspur stayed top of the table with a 1-1 draw at Crystal Palace, after second-placed Liverpool got the same result at Fulham.

Arsenal lost 1-0 to Burnley while Leicester beat Brighton and Southampton saw off Sheffield United, both 3-0.

West Ham beat Leeds 2-1 on Friday night with Everton beating Chelsea 1-0, Aston Villa defeating Wolves 1-0 and Newcastle seeing off West Brom 2-1 on Saturday. Manchester United and Manchester City drew 0-0.

Have a look at my team of the week - and then have a go at creating your own at the foot of this piece.

Midfielders - Bobby Decordova-Reid (Fulham), James Ward-Prowse (Southampton), Jordan Henderson (Liverpool), James Maddison (Leicester)

Bobby Decordova-Reid: What a strike. The ball from Ademola Lookman that set up the finish was just wonderful. Liverpool could have been three down by the end of this fixture but a point against the champions will do Fulham the world of good.

I'm convinced their fans, back at Craven Cottage for the first time since the lockdowns, made all the difference. The penalty that gave Liverpool a lifeline was a travesty, the sooner the new handball rule is abolished the better. And how Andre Marriner could have judged Fabinho's tackle on Ivan Cavaleiro to have been anything other than a stonewall penalty, I will never know.

Did you know? Decordova-Reid has scored in three consecutive home league appearances for the very first time in his professional career.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/55288499