watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

New Appreciation of Cav....

Started by WindyCity, December 14, 2020, 04:58:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WindyCity

I think we are now seeing why SP keeps starting Cav.  At least as evidenced in this game v LFC.  He was a nuisance all game long, found himself in the right spot in many situations, did some nice dribbling and ball control and made some nice passes.  The broadcasters were making this comment about him and felt he tied up LFC defenses and could understand why SP selects him to play.  Always and often making LFC respect his presence. 

Now, he does have shortcomings to his game, and his inability to 'finish' is glaring.  Maybe at some point he'll tickle the twine, but I suspect we have to accept this part of his game.  I don't know if this can be improved on the training ground, I doubt it.  But SP will continue to play him in my opinion. 

I would also add that Lemina and RLC had very good games as well v LFC, "finally".  I have been critical of these two for some time now, and have to eat a little bit of crow, but we still need to see them grow and contribute in these upcoming important fixtures.  I still have my reservations about Cav, but, again, he had a fine outing in our draw v LFC and hope he can build on that too.

VamosFFC

Yes! I was just thinking about this last night. I really like Cav's versatility up front compared to Mitro. Cav wasn't just sitting center, he was all over the front line making runs and getting into good positions. The only thing that is lacking is his finishing as you have pointed out. He needs to be more clinical in front of goal. I'm all in on sticking with Cav has our striker for now.

ALG01

i have been critical of Cav and thought he should be dropped
Against Liverpool he was imense and showed that he is a veryu good player
Let's hope he keeps it up.
I am very happy when they play well and as a result desrve their place.

Denver Fulham

In fairness, Cav was bad (for this league) as a winger. If he wants to be useful as a false 9, be my guest.

brightster

Perhaps we have found his best position, Parker tried RLC last week there and it didn't work, perhaps he's cracked it!

perry geyton

His finishing is shocking tho, he just smashes it

We need someone with his work rate that can also put it away, maybe he should switch rolls with BDR

Jurassic Parker

Quote from: perry geyton on December 14, 2020, 07:51:26 PM
His finishing is shocking tho, he just smashes it

We need someone with his work rate that can also put it away, maybe he should switch rolls with BDR

As Denver said above, Cav has shown himself to be an awful premiership winger, he also does not have the prowess for defensive duty BDR does, playing as an RWB at times.

I appreciate Cav in this new role, as others as said its working great except for finishing. We need a better man there lets be real, someone to put the ball away. But its proving the system as successful and paving the way

Bassey the warrior

His movement and work rate was excellent, you don't get such good chances without being in the right place at the right time. That being said he needs to improve his finishing, we can't afford to be so wasteful.

I'd like to see Lookman running beyond him more often as he's a great finisher. Too often he wants the ball into feet, he needs to mix it up. Great dribbler but we need his goals.

I would consider bringing in Cairney but not Mitrovic. Brighton's defenders are good in the air but not that quick.

Dunstable Fulham

I have been very critical of a number of times but I thought his work rate, movement and quality on the ball on Sunday was terrific. His finishing could have been better but I said to my son earlier that I can understand why we spent the money on him now.

Denver Fulham

Related: Imagine how this team played for 35 minutes on Saturday, but with a Vardy up top instead of Cav. It may have been 4-0. We're pretty close to having a really interesting and relatively good team ... but it's unclear whether we have the money in January to get a guy like that unless we manage to sell someone fairly expensive. The obvious candidate is Seri, but that may be a hard sell. Would you sell Mitrovic to land a pacey finisher and commit fully to this pressing style?

FFCBadger

It's a brave call but losing Mitro (or any player) has to be an option. I'd rather replace Cav, Kamara and/or Kebano tbh

The signs were there last season that we were more balanced as a team with Mitro out of the squad. It does depend who we're playing though and I can see a place for Mitro against most teams in the prem where we can impose ourselves.

WindyCity

Quote from: Mitrovic the warrior on December 14, 2020, 09:21:43 PM
His movement and work rate was excellent, you don't get such good chances without being in the right place at the right time. That being said he needs to improve his finishing, we can't afford to be so wasteful.

Totally agree.  It's those wasteful chances that seemingly always come back to bite you in the arse.

WindyCity

Quote from: Denver Fulham on December 14, 2020, 11:21:22 PM
Would you sell Mitrovic to land a pacey finisher and commit fully to this pressing style?

I think this definitely has to be considered.  (In spite of Mitrovic's immense contributions to getting FFC promoted twice, which I think we all applaud.)
I had mentioned in another thread that one of the biggest things we learn as we dabble in the Prem is that survival and further success in this league is largely a matter of "pace".  Last season we gained promotion toward the end of the season without Mitro playing.  Additionally, we have seen recently against top clubs that FFC can compete, and, again, without Mitrovic. 

This club is starting to take form, in a very good way.  Much improved defensive backline.  Much improved midfield.  This team can compete in this league with these defensive improvements.  Of course, we need to still find the offense and score more goals.  And those few chances FFC has had in these recent games v top sides has been mostly a result of speed/pace.  It might be time to shed a player like Mitrovic in favor of some speed and pace.  I think FFC ownership/management should consider this.