News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Ok so the useless ref incorrectly gave a penalty...

Started by Denzil Dexter, December 21, 2020, 09:04:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Denzil Dexter

I've seen loads of bookable fouls in the box leading to penalties, but zero punishment for the offender. The pundits then say the new rule is a penalty is a sufficient punishment.
So how the hell does this ref decide that warrants a straight red card? He clearly did everything in his power to stop us winning!

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk

RaySmith

They didn't even look at the push on Lookman in the area in the  first half- and there were  appeals, let alone the   Newcastle handball in the final minutes - these days those are given, well it was like the decision we got v  Brighton that disallowed their goal.

Then there other free kicks and bookings for Fulham players for non existent fouls, especially when Newcastle were  coming at us desperate for another goal after the pen.

It's very hard to think that the  officials weren't biased.

Denzil Dexter

Quote from: RaySmith on December 21, 2020, 09:44:33 PM
They didn't even look at the push on Lookman in the area in the  first half- and there were  appeals, let alone the   Newcastle handball in the final minutes - these days those are given, well it was like the one we got v  Brighton.

Then there other free kicks and bookings for Fulham players for non existent fouls, especially when Newcastle were  coming at us desperate for another goal after the pen.

It's very hard to think that the  officials weren't biased.
Biased is an understatement.

H4usuallysitting

Problem with a lot of refs is.... it's all about them

KJS

Don't be suprisef if betting scandals involving referees and VAR are not uncovered in the not too distant future

Woolly Mammoth

Betting scandals involving referees is apparently rife in Eastern Europe, so nothing would surprise me, I have seen better referees and linos on a Sunday morning.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

Sting of the North

Quote from: Denzil Dexter on December 21, 2020, 09:04:40 PM
I've seen loads of bookable fouls in the box leading to penalties, but zero punishment for the offender. The pundits then say the new rule is a penalty is a sufficient punishment.
So how the hell does this ref decide that warrants a straight red card? He clearly did everything in his power to stop us winning!

It is a straight red card if the player denies an obvious goal-scoring opportunity to an opponent moving towards the player's goal by an offence punishable by a free kick or a penalty kick unless it was an attempt to play the ball and a penalty is awarded. So there is a distinction there, which should make this clear as to why it is very possible why there is sometimes both a penalty and a straight red card and sometimes there's only a penalty. The ref deemed Andersen to have denied an obvious goal scoring opportunity without actually trying to play the ball, or at least that will of course be his explanation.

USNA90

I preface everything I write on here by saying that I didn't grow up watching/playing soccer.  That being said, I hate the very concept of penalty kicks, and believe they should only be used in the most extreme, flagrant situations.  It is so difficult to score a goal in soccer, yet the ref can essentially hand a goal to a team based not on what happened, but rather on where it happened.  The impact of penalties can't be understated.  How many points has Fulham dropped this year because of questionable penalties awarded to the opponent?  I imagine that it's enough that they would be safely out of the relegation zone without those penalties.  To make matters worse, there doesn't appear to be any consistent application of penalties from match to match.  Does seriousness and/or intent matter?  Does the impact the foul has on the opponent's ability to score a goal weigh into the ref's decision?  That can't be the case, or the foul would not have been called against Mitro in the game against Sheffield United.  His tipping the opponent's foot had absolutely zero impact on the play.  Yet, the ref didn't see fit to give a penalty kick to Fulham in the Liverpool game when Cav was fouled while cutting in towards the goal - even after VAR review.  Is a penalty kick awarded every time a ball touches a defender's hand and/or arm in the box, even if there's no chance of the ball going in?  You can't remove your arms from your body, so there has to be some leeway, yet none was given to AK, while the ref didn't even bother to look at the very clear handball against Newcastle.  Penalty kicks have such a disproportionate impact on the season and future of a team like Fulham that they can't be given away lightly.  (Of course, it would be nice if every now and then the opponent had as much trouble finding the net as Fulham seems to have).

I like the idea of VAR - calls which impact penalty kicks or goal scoring are too important to get wrong - yet even with VAR it happens all too often. I think the decision should be taken out of the on-field ref's hands.  They have little incentive to overturn their own ruling.  The ref couldn't have looked at the replay of the call against Anderson for more than five seconds before confirming his own decision.  In Major League Baseball (MLB), once the call on the field is challenged by the manager, it gets sent to a team of three umpires stationed at MLB headquarters in New York.  They review the play, and then tell the on-field umpire the verdict, which can't be overturned.  I realize that this may take longer than some would like, but again, these calls are too important to get wrong - and too many of them have gone the wrong way for Fulham this year, and I don't see that improving.

General

The only hope is that perhaps they may be more lenient with us next time in giving us something and not taking strict disciplinary action. It's unlikely but may happen.

I think it's absurd that VAR only show one angle on an important decision and only reference or draw attention to the ref for the latest issue. The other thing is the Ref clearly had his doubts as a result of going back to check the monitor a second time - if there are doubts, then he shouldn't have given the penalty/card.

Ref's are finally going under pressure alongside VAR by quite a few managers, people in the industry and players and it's evident now that Newcastle officially got away with it on the weekend.

The good thing is Andersen is back, but it is disappointing, 2 more points would've started to give us a bit of daylight on West Brom and put us above Brighton.

toshes mate

Quote from: General on December 22, 2020, 10:16:41 PM

The only hope is that perhaps they may be more lenient with us next time in giving us something and not taking strict disciplinary action. It's unlikely but may happen.

I think it's absurd that VAR only show one angle on an important decision and only reference or draw attention to the ref for the latest issue. The other thing is the Ref clearly had his doubts as a result of going back to check the monitor a second time - if there are doubts, then he shouldn't have given the penalty/card.

Ref's are finally going under pressure alongside VAR by quite a few managers, people in the industry and players and it's evident now that Newcastle officially got away with it on the weekend.

The good thing is Andersen is back, but it is disappointing, 2 more points would've started to give us a bit of daylight on West Brom and put us above Brighton.

I suspect the referee knew Andersen was non-verbally taunting him to show a second yellow and that is the only reason he returned to the screen i.e. to change the card to red in petty vengeance.

bog

Whatever technology is brought in we still have the referees making the decision after looking at the screen and they STILL can't get it right.  :031:  :dft011:

092.gif   

SuffolkWhite

Quote from: bog on December 23, 2020, 10:13:06 AM
Whatever technology is brought in we still have the referees making the decision after looking at the screen and they STILL can't get it right.  :031:  :dft011:

092.gif   

Little ol Fulham don't often get the rub of the green from Ref's imo, and VAR won't change that.

Still, we could all support a top team in a soulless stadium but then that's not who we are or how Fulham fan's are made. Just picture Wolfie Smith lol.
Guy goes into the doctor's.
"Doc, I've got a cricket ball stuck up my backside
"How's that?"
"Don't you start"

bill taylors apprentice

Its flawed and getting worse.

A flawed system would not be tolerated in any other respectable business but the more they tinker with it the worse it gets.
Sure it catches some errors that have somehow been missed like the Spurs player knocking over the Leicester player in the box last weekend that the ref and his assistants somehow failed to see.

If our top referees are missing these kind of glaringly obvious fouls then there's a bigger problem with the match officials that needs sorting and having another poor official watching it on TV to give his opinion isn't the answer.

The beauty of Football is there are many variables within each game and that's why the referee's ability to manage the game and use his discretion is such a big part of what makes it the sport it is.

Mistakes have always been made and always will but now we have VAR its creating just as many errors (or more) during a game than its rectifying.

Linesman are no longer allowed to participate in any meaningful way, different referee's perform in differing ways that mean we now have no consistency among referee's.

Some appear to referee in a more rigid way assuming VAR will dig them out of  hole while others have given up on proper game management and expect VAR to determine the hard decisions for them. 

Yes they are poor but is the problem due to their bosses failure to train them correctly and allow them to referee with common sense?

Technology is great in sport for "Is the ball in or out or did the ball hit the bat or the pad but maybe Football just isn't improved by VAR when you weigh it all up. Just because we have the means to have VAR doesn't mean we use it.

Before they started trying to make everything perfect, maybe the linesman would have flagged for off side against WHU when they scored against us and maybe the officials wouldn't have seen Cairney tripped in the box at the other end?
That would have been football as we prefer  it, right?

bog

I wonder how long before we are on the end of another one like that?  :022:

092.gif

gang

Quote from: SuffolkWhite on December 23, 2020, 10:32:00 AM
Quote from: bog on December 23, 2020, 10:13:06 AM

092.gif   

Little ol Fulham don't often get the rub of the green from Ref's imo, and VAR won't change that.

Still, we could all support a top team in a soulless stadium but then that's not who we are or how Fulham fan's are made. Just picture Wolfie Smith lol.

Power to the people.