more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Point gained or two dropped.

Started by The Swan, December 26, 2020, 05:10:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AnOldBrownie

Quote from: The Swan on December 26, 2020, 05:10:27 PM
Think we dropped two points today. Having said that we could have lost.
Can anyone tell me why Cavaleiro a) gets into the team or b) how he is not taken off during the game.
No worry only Spurs away up next.
Easy.

Movement
Work rate
A bit of pace

If Mitro were an improvement on any of those he'd be starting because he's the much better #9.

But I don't think Scott wants to play with a slow #9 that's more clinical and good with hold up play.

Our problem is that we need at least one better version of Cav in the transfer window. Taller, stronger, faster and more clinical.

Before the season started I don't think we could have attracted the kind of striker we need because of

1. They assumed Mitro was a lock to start every game.

2. Fulham were guaranteed to get relegated.

Neither of those two things are now a definite so I hope we can now move two players (defensive) in the transfer window and bring in a quality attacking option. Someone under 30...but with EPL experience at putting the ball in the back of the net.

Sent from my CMR-W19 using Tapatalk

Pieter A’dam

Quote from: TerryR on December 26, 2020, 06:37:46 PM
Point and a clean sheet
Let's stop complaining
+1, agree with you.
I can't believe the negativity elsewhere on this forum .... what do people expect that we dominate games in this league and reeling in wins every time the opposition is supposed to be 'weak' ? Ok for me that we play a bit more conservative, at least since the last 6-7 games we are competing and have a chance to stay up. If we keep averaging a point a game, we'll be in there until the end. Moreover if keep this getting points, we'll get more confidence and change occasional draws into wins.

Fernhurst

For me, two points dropped!
Southampton bereft of several of their quality first team squad, whereas we were at full strength bar one.
The intensity shown by remainder of their squad was impressive and two very marginal decisions saved us. If we could not garner three points in that situation worries me no end.
Can't see us getting anything from Spurs and we have never obtained anything at Turf Moor.
Soon welded into bottom three, we require a transformative goal scorer to help our plight, do hope we can find one.
The atmosphere's fresh and the debate lively.

rebel

Quote from: Arthur on December 26, 2020, 05:50:33 PM
The defence have clearly worked hard at holding a tight line to catch opposing teams offside. And we're pretty good at it. Those who criticise VAR might stop to think that the reason we can afford to play this way is precisely because VAR will identify marginal offside calls that a linesman may not. Knowing this to be so, and defending with such discipline as a unit, I don't see how it's lucky that neither of Southampton's disallowed goals counted. Take those out and the Saints' only chance was the first-half free-kick.

We may not have looked like winning ourselves, but this was a deserved point, not a lucky one.

Nicely summed up. They were both offside, in the FA Rules Book, 1876, you don't have 'offside' and 'lucky offside'.
2 points dropped, but keeps the 'mini unbeaten run' going.

Cav should be scoring, no excuses.

davew

Quote from: Fernhurst on December 27, 2020, 05:41:00 AM
For me, two points dropped!
Southampton bereft of several of their quality first team squad, whereas we were at full strength bar one.
The intensity shown by remainder of their squad was impressive and two very marginal decisions saved us. If we could not garner three points in that situation worries me no end.
Can't see us getting anything from Spurs and we have never obtained anything at Turf Moor.
Soon welded into bottom three, we require a transformative goal scorer to help our plight, do hope we can find one.

+1, with Arsenal returning to winning ways and no doubt unlikely to be involved in the relegation battle, apart from WBA and obviously Sheff Utd (doomed), the only other teams we have a chance of finishing above will be Brighton and Burnley, I wonder how far we will be behind them when we have all played 19 games?
Grandson of a Former Director of FFC (served 1954 - 1968)

Whitestone

Any game that we don't win is points dropped

toshes mate

In reality it will be perceived as a point gained in a relegation battle and two points dropped for those who are nervously wanting to get out of the bottom three because they feel better that way even though it is only necessary to be out of the bottom three at the end of the season.

I really don't get the pessimism on here.  This team is scrapping for its life in the PL having started the season in a very dark place.   Defensively the team is miles away from that horrible start and it is worth remembering that pre-VAR wasn't without its marginal offside decisions and lines drawn across screens to prove a point on MOTD.    Our defenders are doing us proud. 

At the attacking end we have Cavaleiro working his socks off, Lookman promising but not always threatening to deliver and RLC very slowly but quite surely coming back to life as he once knew it.  On Wednesday if he plays I wouldn't be surprised if he scored a goal because his progress comes in small steps. 

It's was always going to be hard for this team to cope with or without Mitrovic because he is such a good provider of goals in the right set up, and such an waste if he cannot be freed from the shackles of two defenders at all times and starved of the ball when we lack penetration.   Midfield works well enough at containing opponents but sometimes lacks that creative spark that opens defences up and you either have to love or hate Cairney with no in between on this Forum apparently.

All in all, the jigsaw is still a work in progress but, IMO, it is definitely taking shape and looking interesting too.   Parker infuriates me at times but not because of the outcomes of games like this one.  It was always going to be tough.

Cambridge Pete

OK Cav is not a natural goalscorer, but he puts in a shift and has pace. If he could score goals as well he would be a £20mill + striker. The main mistake yesterday was that the substitutions should have been about ten to fifteen minutes earlier. All in all though compared to the first few games we are now a hard to beat side with some real quality. There is still a lot of football left in the season and with a bit of fortune especially with injuries I am confident we will stay up. COYW. Oh and Happy new year to one and all.

Arthur

Quote from: rebel on December 27, 2020, 07:06:11 AM
Nicely summed up. They were both offside, in the FA Rules Book, 1876, you don't have 'offside' and 'lucky offside'.
2 points dropped, but keeps the 'mini unbeaten run' going.

Cav should be scoring, no excuses.

Thank you for your support of my point.

With regard to your view that Cavaleiro has no excuses for not scoring, however, I think he should be cut some slack.

Last night, I saw Marcus Rashford miss a headed chance that offered 'no excuses'. He was six yards from goal, the ball was flighted rather than hit at pace, and he didn't have to jump to meet the ball.

Compare this with Cavaleiro's opportunity: 12-or-13 yards from goal; a ball arriving at greater speed; needing to jump to get over the header.

I accept that Cavaleiro might have got his header closer to the goal than he did. But score every time? No way. His being unchallenged makes it an easier chance but most definitely not an easy one.

WindyCity

Quote from: Arthur on December 27, 2020, 12:43:25 PM
Quote from: rebel on December 27, 2020, 07:06:11 AM
They were both offside, in the FA Rules Book, 1876, you don't have 'offside' and 'lucky offside'.

Well, actually you do.  Pre VAR Southhampton wins 2-0.  Simple as that. 

For all the whining and moaning about VAR being such a breach of the game and frequently not helping FFC and always helping the top clubs, we can thank VAR for 4 of our 11 points so far.  The Cav PK awarded in our win v Leicester and the two offsides v Southampton which preserved the draw.

AJW48361

I understand a point gained and a clean sheet! but who are the teams we are going to beat? and clean sheets yes! but would prefer a 2-1 victory.