https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Ollie Watkins

Started by blingo, December 26, 2020, 05:35:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blingo

would have been perfect for us now.

Hatch007

At £30m I'm pretty sure FFP ruled out that possibility.

It's not like the Khans have been afraid to spend big in the past, they just have to abide by rules from which Man City and PSG are perplexingly exempt

Middlesexclub

More to the point we should have got Ivan Toney. Much cheaper. We have seen in the past that Barry Hayley's scored goals as he moved up. Take a chance on a fast player from a lower division.

blingo

Don't think FFP was a problem for us

Statto

Quote from: Hatch007 on December 26, 2020, 05:42:00 PM
At £30m I'm pretty sure FFP ruled out that possibility.

It's not like the Khans have been afraid to spend big in the past, they just have to abide by rules from which Man City and PSG are perplexingly exempt

Agree

Although I do think we prefer to avoid going for the obvious domestic targets, probably because they tend to be overpriced. With Watkins for example, I agree he's what we need but his ceiling is bottom half PL IMO and from that perspective £30m doesn't seem like good value for money.

Arthur

Quote from: Middlesexclub on December 26, 2020, 05:47:12 PM
More to the point we should have got Ivan Toney. Much cheaper. We have seen in the past that Barry Hayley's scored goals as he moved up. Take a chance on a fast player from a lower division.

Expecting a League 1 striker to step up straight into the P.L. and score regularly was perhaps deemed too risky. Few players do. Hayles, as you say, scored goals as he moved up and into the P.L. via the Championship; he didn't simply leap from lower-tier football into the top flight.

SP

Not sure we'd have been top of Watkin's wish list?

blingo

im sure we were not, but im pretty sure we'd have had another 6-9 points now if he'd been here

Balham Boy

Think the money plus his relationship with Dean Smith meant never coming.

I think we should have gone for his replacement at Brentford, Ivan Toney. Probably not a regular starter for now but to learn his trade alongside Mitro. £5 million fee and around £10 million with add ons - he's already scored 16 goals with 4 assists this season.

Fernhurst

Ollie Watkins playing as if no ceiling above him. Very impressive as he settles in to The Premier League.
The atmosphere's fresh and the debate lively.

JudgeBread

Don't forget the Brentford connection with Dean Smith so every chance Watkins was never that interested in coming.

Sammyffc

Quote from: Middlesexclub on December 26, 2020, 05:47:12 PM

know a few people who were friends with him growing up and he was a proper arrogant ****. and pretty much became unbearable once he moved to newcastle.

Jims Dentist

Not doubting what you say, perhaps he's mellowed/matured a bit as he comes across quite well during his multiple interviews with closet Brentford fan Colin Murray (who seems to worship him)
Toney that is, although thinking back I seem to remember Murray being similar with Watkins last season.