more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Friday Fulham Stuff - 01/01/21...

Started by WhiteJC, January 01, 2021, 08:57:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Transfer gossip: Fulham linked with Charlton youngster Doughty

Fulham have been tipped to make a move for highly-rated Charlton winger Alfie Doughty.

Scottish clubs Rangers and Celtic have both been linked with Doughty, whose contract expires at the end of the season.

The Daily Express say Fulham are likely to also look to snap up the youngster.

https://www.westlondonsport.com/fulham/gossip-whites-tipped-to-compete-with-rangers-and-celtic-for-signing-of-charlton-youngster

WhiteJC

Premier League has no plans to pause season despite Sheffield United and other clubs being hit by Covid-19
The Premier League has "full confidence" in its Covid-19 protocols, with no plans to pause the season despite Sheffield United reporting "a number" of positive tests earlier this week.

Wednesday night's fixture between Tottenham and Fulham was called off less than three hours before the scheduled 6pm start after the visitors returned more positive coronavirus test results.

It is the third Premier League game to be wiped out following a national rise in infection levels - with Monday's clash between Everton and Manchester City having followed the postponement of Newcastle against Aston Villa at the start of December.

Manchester City's players have now resumed training after no new positive cases of Covid-19 were reported following a round of testing on Tuesday.

More tests will take place later in the week - the results of which will determine whether the trip to Chelsea on Sunday and then the Carabao Cup semi-final at Manchester United can go ahead.

Spurs, meanwhile, are understood to be unhappy about both the decision to postpone the Fulham game and the timing of the confirmation - with manager Jose Mourinho indicating his frustration in an Instagram post shortly after 2pm as staff waited for official news.

Despite some calls - including from new West Brom manager Sam Allardyce - for a "circuit-breaker" in fixtures to help tackle the fast-developing situation across the country, the competition will continue as planned.

"The Premier League has not discussed pausing the season and has no plans to do so," a Premier League statement read.

"The League continues to have confidence in its Covid-19 protocols to enable fixtures to be played as scheduled, and these protocols continue to have the full backing of Government.

The Premier League had announced on Tuesday there had been a season-high 18 positive tests in the latest round of testing across the clubs.

The latest fixture postponement came after a board meeting when Fulham had lodged a request to rearrange the game "following a significant rise in positive Covid-19 cases, as well as a number of players showing symptoms (on Wednesday)."

After consulting medical advisors, the decision to postpone the match was "taken as a precaution and with the health of players and staff as the priority".

Fulham said the players and staff who tested positive have been self-isolating "in line with UK Government and Premier League guidance", with the group set to be retested.

On Wednesday afternoon, it was confirmed all Premier League fixtures would now revert to being behind closed doors as the Government placed almost all of England under tier three or four coronavirus restrictions.

Under the rules, fans are only able to attend games in regions that are in tier one or two - which now applies solely to the Isles of Scilly.

The move comes after the Scottish government had tightened its own restrictions on Boxing Day, ruling fans out of attending all elite-level games, while spectators are also banned in Wales.

Everton's home Premier League match against West Ham on Friday night is the first to be impacted.

https://www.thestar.co.uk/sport/football/sheffield-united/premier-league-has-no-plans-pause-season-despite-sheffield-united-and-other-clubs-being-hit-covid-19-3082269

WhiteJC

When Tottenham vs Fulham is likely to be played with the possibility of 4 games being played in 8 days

The likely reschedule dates for Spurs vs Fulham reveals the possibility of 4 games being played in 8 days.

Spurs vs Fulham reschedule

Due to the recent rise in Covid-19 positive tests during the last round of results, Tottenham's match against Fulham was postponed with no dates yet given.

Jose Mourinho criticised the Premier League for their lateness in decision-making, taking to his Instagram page to sarcastically call the EPL the 'best league in the world.'

It appears that the earliest possibility of a rescheduling would be February 8th, however this is contingent on both London clubs being eliminated from their FA Cup 3rd round ties.

With both teams playing lower league opposition this seems an unlikely scenario. Spurs play away to non-league side Marine and Fulham face a trip to London rivals QPR.

The struggle

Considering the participation of Spurs in the Carabao Cup, FA Cup and Europa League, of which all fixtures fall in the North London side's favour (Brentford, Marine & Wolfsberger), there is a real possibility at the Premier League struggling to rearrange the fixture whatsoever.

Mourinho may have to face the prospect of playing 4 games within 8 days. If his side was to go far in all of their cup competitions ESPN editor Dale Johnson believes that what the league could do is request that two games are played in midweek. This could therefore see Spurs play a match on Sunday, Tuesday, Thursday and the following Sunday.

Considering Fulham and other clubs are not involved in European action, the stress of rearranging any further postponements between clubs which do not play in continental competition will not be too much of an issue. These matches will be able to be played during Champions League and Europa League match weeks.

With the Premier League set to finish on May 23rd and the threat of an incoming international competition, the delayed Euro 2020, there is very little scope for postponement of fixtures beyond the final deadline of the league competition.

https://www.101greatgoals.com/news/when-tottenham-vs-fulham-is-likely-to-be-played-with-the-possibility-of-4-games-being-played-in-8-days/

WhiteJC

Reputable journalist details Nottingham Forest transfer dilemma as Premier League ace's future hangs in balance

Nottingham Forest face a real dilemma regarding Anthony Knockaert's immediate future, according to Sarah Clapson.

The 29-year-old is currently on loan at the City Ground from Premier League side Brighton but has struggled to show the sort of consistency that many expected from him.

While Knockaert has made 15 appearances for Chris Hughton's side, he has scored just one goal in that time and provided one assist for his teammates.

With funds at a premium it seems that Forest have a decision to make regarding the winger's future, with Hughton deciding whether to keep him at the club or send him back to the South Coast.

According to Clapson, Forest also have the option to make the deal permanent but should keep him on loan as they look to get a more consistent tune out of the talented star.

Speaking to Nottinghamshire Live, Clapson said: "He's not managed to show his quality too often, but he's shown it's there at times.

"He's a really good player. On his day he can make such a difference. It's a pretty big decision whether they try to keep him or not.

"He's got one more game. Forest have the option to buy.

"It depends how much Fulham want and if there's any other suitors. He's said he'd like to stay if he can.

"There's a lot more to come from him if Forest can keep him."

Clapson added: "The best option is to extend his loan until the summer and review it. If he has a storming second half of the season it's a different situation.

"The spanner in the works could be if someone wants to pay big bucks for him in January."

The Verdict

Anthony Knockaert still has plenty to offer.

There's no doubt that he's among the most talented players in the Nottingham Forest squad and he could play a massive part in helping the team to move up the table this term.

Chris Hughton needs to build the team around the 29-year-old and if he does then it won't be long until they start picking up points.

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/reputable-journalist-details-nottingham-forest-transfer-dilemma-as-premier-league-aces-future-hangs-in-balance/

WhiteJC

Jimmy Bullard opens up on Roy Hodgson issues and explains why he really left Fulham

EXCLUSIVE: In an interview with Mirror Sport, Jimmy Bullard looks back on his final days at Fulham and discusses the reasons he left the south-west London club after three years

Jimmy Bullard was cock of the walk for three seasons at Fulham.

During a difficult time in the club's Premier League history, the cheeky east-Londoner was the light relief the Fulham team needed.

And Bullard's ability to grab a game by the scruff of its neck and hit the back of the net from a free-kick - when it really mattered - ensured he was a huge hit with the fans.

But all good things eventually come to an end, although, perhaps not as abruptly as Bullard's break-up with Fulham.

After Chris Coleman and Lawrie Sanchez's tenures in the Cottage hotseat, Roy Hodgson took the reins and suddenly things were a little different for Bullard.

Speaking exclusively to Mirror Sport, Bullard recalled the period.

He said: "I loved my time at Fulham. A lot of the reason why I signed for Fulham was because of Chris Coleman. I loved what he had to say, and coming back to London.

Jimmy Bullard and Roy Hodgson at Fulham (Image: Action Images)

"I was injured and I remember Chris Coleman got the sack, and then we had Lawrie Sanchez and then Roy Hodgson came in.

"I still loved my time there but he brought in a style that was very - he wanted me to play a certain role, which was very defensive-minded.

"I understood why, but I didn't like playing that way. I have always been interested in entertaining, scoring goals, making things happen, doing things off the cuff, and Chris Coleman offered me that.

"He said 'Jim I want you to run the changing room, you and Browny (Michael Brown)', Browny was skipper. 'We have got a real foreign allegiance. I want you to bring in a bit of Brit. I want you to bring in a bit of spunk in the changing room, we're very quiet'. I loved that!

"'I want you to get on the ball at every opportunity', I loved that! 'Jim, I just want you to go forward, I'm going to sit Papa Bouba Diop, bless him, right behind you', loved that!

Bullard admits he loved playing under Chris Coleman at Fulham (Image: Getty Images)

"Everything he said was like 'Wow, right, where do I sign?' Oh yeah, and he was like 'Here you go by the way, here's your contract, which is double what you were on'. And I was going back home, it was game over. Perfect!"

Bullard admits he struggled to adapt to Hodgon's style of play; which was rigid and defensive and prevented the midfielder from working on instinct.

This, coupled with the fact that he started clashing with Hodgson - and the manager's backroom staff - saw Bullard reach a fork in the road.

It was at this point that Hull City made a then club-record £5million bid for the Englishman, complete with a lucrative contract.

And although the deal was an attractive one, Bullard insists there was a lot more behind his decision to leave Fulham for Hull.

Bullard suffered a catastrophic knee injury at Fulham

He added: "Roy came in with different ideas, but we were struggling, and to be fair what I know now, Fulham and Roy, he was the right man.

"But it wasn't right for me. And then we started to clash a little bit. He said things; 'Ah, turn it in gaffer, I just want to do this and that'.

"And in the end it just went from bad to worse. He had Mike Kelly as his assistant and he was doing my nut in half the time and I was telling him where to go. It was a clash of characters.

"It was what it was, I told everyone face to face what I thought.

"Everyone always said it [moving to Hull] was about the money and all that. No. It was an eye-catching contract, yes, but it wasn't the sole reason.

"Now that I'm 42 and I look back on it, it was no one's fault, it just wasn't the right place for me at that time. It wasn't the right fit and it happens.

"I was selfish, but there were other people at Fulham who were selfish too. It takes two to tango. There were things he done that were bang out of order and I told him that, but I'd never go to press about the details. It is what it is."

Bullard left Fulham in 2009 and just one year later his former team-mates made their way to the final of the Europa League against all the odds.

Bullard could have been a part of the Fulham side that made history, but he says he didn't look on with envy; he made the decision that was right for him at the time and sticks by it.

"I'm never one to look back," said Bullard. "It was more speaking to the players; 'You're flying, well done', but I had to crack on with my career, so I left that. I parked it."

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/jimmy-bullard-opens-up-roy-23213646

WhiteJC

Signing Off: We Are One
2020, has pushed us all to the brink, the edge of sanity, and as 2021 approaches at breakneck speed, a brief moment of reflection's in order because we, as Fulham fans, have experienced it all.

We've suffered individually and collectively throughout this Covid-19 crisis, a pandemic that's stripped us of liberty, freedom and in many ways, most poignantly, football, along with all the social and emotional aspects that coincide with the beautiful game, which has been sterilised to safeguard the greater good. You, I, and yours.

Football, without fans, is nothing. It's very well documented that the very essence of the sport rests upon packed terraces, teaming with avid fanatics from a diversity of backgrounds, a unity that makes a club, like ours, significant in its own right.

To outsiders, Fulham is a harmless, inoffensive side that's also a terrific away day and they'd be 100% correct. We are unique, eccentric, welcoming but make no mistake, we are dedicated, devoted and above all, passionate about our historically stunning patch by the Thames, which is growing day by day.

Who would've thought it, our last taste of matchday excitement, where we were free to stand shoulder to shoulder, was almost a year ago at Ashton Gate although symbolically, that harmony's now stronger than ever.

Live football returned for one matchday, a hard-fought 1-1 draw against Jurgen Klopp's Liverpool and though a vaccine's supposedly close to being rolled out, an end to quarantine, the strangulating tier systems is still beyond the horizon. We long for Craven Cottage, our sanctuary every Saturday but, despite all adversity, there is hope, and there are convincing reasons – as Marco De Novellis denoted so engagingly – to look back on the past 12 months with a wry, yet sincere grin.

The Premier League, that's the place to be, or so they say, however Championship football is easily the most exhilarating derivative. Chasing automatic promotion, aware that we'll have the Play-Offs to fall back on, Fulham switched on the style, Scott Parker's way, to showcase a team spirit like no other.

We weren't prolific, a throwback to Slavisa Jokanovic's promotion-clinching outfit, although Parker's Whites were resilient, unyielding, and the class of 2019/20 encapsulated an ethic, a distinctive attitude that's only practiced between Bishops Park and Stevenage Road. Pundits scoffed, bookies deliberated and though the top two spots were just out of reach, a trip to Wembley, to face our local rivals, Brentford, was our reward.

With social distancing in action, the prospect of venturing to Hammersmith to take in the game, safely, was still too great to snub. Tables were booked in advance, no standing permitted, and nerves were highly strung. Just as it was two years prior, the occasion got the better of us all and that made for an evening we'll never forget.

Joy, delivered by Joe Bryan, adulation, administered by Aleksandar Mitrovic, Fulham force fed Thomas Frank a slice of humble pie, they'd defeated 'one of the greatest sides on the planet' to return to the cream, the most illustrious division Europe has to offer and blimey, it was sweeter than we'd first envisioned.

Hoards took to the Cottage, clambering on shoulders, flares aglow, to share a moment that truly brought us back together. Promotion to the big time, where we belong. Tears were followed by excruciating head aches the morning after, but the unforgiving repercussions were synonymous, we had joined amid a global epidemic but, even as the gloss wore off and we returned to a stringent state of lockdown once more, solidarity remained.

Glance at your phones, laptops, Fulham fans aren't necessarily the easiest to please however, no matter who you are, our spirit and morale is for one and all and if anything, we set a striking example for the club, as a whole, to follow.

This is what Parker's instilled into his men, an inclusive accord modelled on, well, us. Unanimously, we are an earnest, realistic fan base, although we're not defeatist, in spite of what you may see on your timelines after a drab 1-0 loss every so often. The bar has been set by us, the people that have taken a back seat, and the Fulham fold we see today is striving to emulate our undying commitment in hardship.

Therefore, you cannot discount or discredit the effect we have on our club's fortunes, because we are invaluable. Many opposing fan bases will argue that they're more esteemed or relevant, but they are not a part of our journey, our plight, our rise, our fall, our resurgence. These are known only by me and you.

Written off by Jamie Carragher, dwindling in the drop zone, Fulham has clamoured, together, to restore pride and dignity, values that compliment our underpinning support, which has weathered success and anguish through thick and thin, and without sounding unoriginally clichéd, we are an enduring, compassionate family.

Yes, this year has been hideously unconventional, but our customs, traditions, quirks, Victoria Sponge and all, have defiantly withstood the tests and tribulations that have unwittingly befallen the nation, our families, and our exclusive fandom.

Over the New Year, we will wish and promise goodwill and prosperity to all, but a special sentiment's reserved for the ones we hold dearest. Livelihoods have been sacrificed, loved ones have been lost and now, more than ever, we must care for, honour and respect the pillars in our lives that stand for so much more than just existing.

This isn't blind sanctimony, neither is it profound, although before 2020 finally fades into oblivion, I want to thank you all for being there, in your own ways, for one another during a period that's threatened to pull communities apart.

Thank you for sticking together, thank you for your support and thank you for making our club utterly incomparable. Season's greetings, Godspeed, happy New Year, up the shaggin' Fulham.

https://www.fulhamish.co.uk/post/2020-12-31-signing-off-we-are-one/

WhiteJC

Premier League predictions: Lawro v Peter Hooton, The Farm singer & Liverpool fan

Premier League leaders Liverpool have dropped points in their last two matches so should Reds fans be concerned as they prepare for their first game of 2021, at Southampton?

"If they were not creating chances then it would be a serious worry," said BBC football expert and former Liverpool defender Mark Lawrenson. "But they are still making loads of them.

"If they had nicked a goal at Newcastle on Wednesday, which obviously they could and should have done, then they would have won, gone five points clear and everyone would be saying 'who is going to stop Liverpool now?'

"Instead, it is a case of 'well, they are only three points clear'. It's a fine line, that changes people's perceptions of how a team is doing when it really shouldn't do. I've spoken to Liverpool fans who tell me 'oh, we're not doing well at the moment, and we can't put away our chances'.

"My response is usually quite dry and along the lines of 'no, they are only top of the league and with half their team missing. And that front three have been terrible for the past three years, haven't they?'

"Being serious though, teams don't win the league by 15 points every year. This is what usually happens with the ebb and flow over the course of a season when you are challenging for the title - and you have to remember Liverpool are not being beaten either.

"The reaction when they do drop points just shows you the standards they have set."

Lawro is making predictions for all 380 Premier League matches this season, against a variety of guests.

This week, for the first set of Premier League fixtures of 2021, he is up against The Farm singer and Liverpool fan Peter Hooton.

The Farm have released a new digital EP of their 1990 hit All Together Now to celebrate its 30th anniversary.

The song is about the legendary game of football played between the trenches in World War I by Allied and German troops on Christmas Day 1914.

In turn, All Together Now was used as the inspiration for the annual Premier League Christmas Truce Tournament, in which Under-12 academy players from clubs across Europe meet for a tournament in Ypres, Belgium, and learn about the First World War.

"The Premier League championed it, and it was because of the song," Hooton explained. "We went over in 2014 for the 100th anniversary of the Christmas ceasefire, and played an acoustic version in a massive marquee at the award ceremony, where all the kids were.

"It is a brilliant event and it's poignant and symbolic that the song has been adopted in that way - as part of the education for all academy kids, to show how football can unite people as well as divide them.

"All Together Now has also been adopted in South America as part of their Covid response this year. We keep on getting Spotify reports from Buenos Aires, Rio and Sao Paulo, that we are on in their top five on Spotify.

"It's part of a campaign for PPE [personal protective equipment] that uses the song for its theme music. It's great that the song's message of friendship and camaraderie still resonates now, with what is going on around the world."

Hooton has been going to watch Liverpool for more than 40 years and told BBC Sport: "In the late 1970s and 80s when I was growing up, it felt like our success was never-ending.

"You could never have thought there would be a 30-year gap in winning the league that we had until this year. That was unthinkable then, but things change don't they? Things are cyclical, in life and in everything. Football is just another example of that.

"If we win another league title or European Cup, then you can compare this Liverpool side to our great teams of previous eras, because they will have that same consistency of doing it year after year.

"Everyone knows how hard it is to win the Premier League. To do it again would put them right up there.

"Ultimately I think any team is judged on the trophies it wins. For this Liverpool team it is all down to Jurgen Klopp. You can have a fantastic set of players but without that leader as your manager, you won't achieve much."

Anfield has again been closed to supporters because Liverpool has been moved into tier three of the government's coronavirus restrictions.

Up to 2,000 fans were allowed in to watch home games against Wolves, Tottenham and West Brom in December, and Hooton got a ticket for the Spurs game through the club's ballot system.

"It was a good one to get but it was an unusual experience, starting with walking up to the ground and all the pubs being shut," he explained. "From hot dogs to horse manure, everything you're used to seeing and smelling isn't there.

"It was very eerie, and poignant really in many ways, but a great opportunity to get back into the ground.

"I enjoyed it, but it's obviously nothing like being there when it's full. It's surreal, it was like going to watch the reserves or the youth team.

"I'm involved with Spirit of Shankly [the Liverpool supporters' union] and we've always said football is nothing without the fans. Unfortunately we've found out in the past few months how true that is."

LAWRO'S PREDICTION
Burnley v Fulham (12:00 GMT)

It is all good news for Burnley at the moment. Off the pitch, the takeover of the club has gone through. On it, they are back to being Burnley - and that is a massive compliment.

I've mentioned before how Fulham are improving too, especially defensively, but I think they will find it extremely difficult against the Clarets.

Lawro's prediction: 2-0

Peter's prediction: 0-0

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/55490492

WhiteJC

Mikel Arteta wants rules to stop Premier League matches being called off last minute

Mikel Arteta fears there will be even more positive tests after outbreaks at Man City and Fulham, which saw their respective games at Everton and Tottenham postponed

Mikel Arteta has called for the Premier League to put extra rules in place to stop matches being called off at the last minute.

Arteta fears there will be even more positive tests after outbreaks at Manchester City and Fulham which saw their respective games at Everton and Tottenham both postponed with just hours to spare.

It left Tottenham boss Jose Mourinho fuming and he even took to social media to mock the Premier League's handling of the situation with frustration from Spurs and Everton that they were both kept in the dark and there are no set protocols for postponements.

Arsenal boss Arteta believes there should be clearer rules, earlier decisions on postponements and also thresholds on the number of cases needed for games to be called off as he believes club medics should now have an input on a fresh set of protocols.

Arteta said: "I think in the last week something happened, the peak went up and a lot of new things happened that haven't happened in recent months and that has to be addressed.

"We need another protocol, clear guidelines of what to do and what not to do and the timeline of course because we cannot be waiting until the last two hours [to find out] whether we are playing a football match or not.

"We should know a little bit earlier and at least have an open communication with the three parties, the two teams involved in the game and the Premier League and make a decision about what is right to do in that moment but with a little bit of time.

"I don't know if it's possible because if there are players that get up that morning and they have some symptoms or fever it gets a little bit complicated when the game is at 8pm. There are still a lot of hours to do and decisions to make.

"I don't know what's the best way. I'm sure the doctors will find the best way. What is important again is that we have an open communication and if something is happening we should know early so we can get prepared."

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/mikel-arteta-wants-rules-stop-23246551

WhiteJC

Fulham: Transfer ins and outs - January 2021

In
None yet!

Out
None yet!

Fulham total spent to date: £0m
Fulham total received to date: £0m

Fulham net transfer balance: £0m

https://www.sportsmole.co.uk/football/fulham/transfer-talk/feature/fulham-transfer-ins-and-outs-january-2021_428664.html

Stoneleigh Loyalist

I have told the story on here before that a cab driving neighbour was taking Andy Johnson's father to the ground when Andy was playing. He told my neighbour that in Andy's opinion Jimmy Bullard's behaviour towards Roy Hodgson was thoroughly unprofessional and disgusting particularly during training sessions. That was the other side of the argument!

filham

Jimmy Bullards comments are iteresting but surely no real surprise to any of us following Fulham at the time. It was obvious that Jimmy and Roy were as different as chalk and cheese. At the time Jimmy would have carried a lot of support from the fans, he was very popular, but now, with the benefit of hindsight, we will all be thankful that Jimmy left and Roy was able to assemble a more disciplined  team.

ken 44

We can not send Knockart back to the south coast he is our player.

WolverineFFC

Quote from: ken 44 on January 01, 2021, 11:45:32 AM
We can not send Knockart back to the south coast he is our player.

It is odd to see that poor an effort put into an "article".  Makes you wonder if it is a 14 year old creating it.

filham

Good to see Lawro predicting another defeat for us, that is always a help.

Jims Dentist

Quote from: filham on January 01, 2021, 10:33:24 AM
Jimmy Bullards comments are iteresting but surely no real surprise to any of us following Fulham at the time. It was obvious that Jimmy and Roy were as different as chalk and cheese. At the time Jimmy would have carried a lot of support from the fans, he was very popular, but now, with the benefit of hindsight, we will all be thankful that Jimmy left and Roy was able to assemble a more disciplined  team.
Good old Roy
Aledgedly got £5m for Bullard who picked up a bad injury soon after, and then was never the same player.

perry geyton

If I remember right it was Parker who did Bullard knee

Dodgin

Thanks for the free kick Jimmy at Portsmouth and that's it. Roy's welcome back anytime.