watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Lighten the Mood .. movies

Started by Logicalman, January 02, 2021, 06:31:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Logicalman

On the advice of one of our sons yesterday, we watched The Gentlemen https://www.imdb.com/title/tt13210838/?ref_=nm_flmg_wr_1 last night.
Usual fun and games (and not a little language) served up in classic Guy Ritchie style, by a good cast of characters. Fun to watch, slightly different manner of storytelling, but engaging as ever.

Also watched Death to 2020 https://www.netflix.com/title/81332175  starring Samuel L. Jackson, Hugh Grant, Lisa Kudro & Tracy Ullman, and others. A Satirical view of the year, very much in the John Oliver (Last Week Tonight) style - but more polished, and funnier. Usual victims of politicians and others in the headlines.
Logical is just in the name - don't expect it has anything to do with my thought process, because I AM the man who sold the world.

Finnans Right Peg

Is the Gentleman a good watch its been on my list to watch.

Also a little of thread but does anybody watch Taskmaster

Barrett487

I'm not up with the latest films tbh, but i'll look out for these.

My reason for replying is that Samuel L Jackson is such a phenomenal actor and 'Coach Carter' remains one of my all-time favourite films. Anyone who's in to sports themed films and SLJ will love it.

Barrett487

Quote from: Finnans Right Peg on January 02, 2021, 06:36:24 PM

I haven't seen the latest series of Taskmaster on C4 yet, how does it compare? Favourably, i'm presuming.

FFC1987

Peanut Butter Falcon on Netflix. Feel good movie. Very good.

Finnans Right Peg

Quote from: Barrett487 on January 02, 2021, 06:37:39 PM

I haven't seen the latest series of Taskmaster on C4 yet, how does it compare? Favourably, i'm presuming.

Yeah very good no real changes except some of the tasks have to be done socially distant which made it funnier .

There was a one off special on last night worth a watch if its on the player

Barrett487

Quote from: Finnans Right Peg on January 02, 2021, 06:47:10 PM
Quote from: Barrett487 on January 02, 2021, 06:37:39 PM

Yeah very good no real changes except some of the tasks have to be done socially distant which made it funnier .

There was a one off special on last night worth a watch if its on the player
I'll check it out, thanks for that  :54:

SuffolkWhite

The Gentleman is excellent. A personal favourite is The Way with Martin Sheen and directed by his son Emilio Estevez. It's about walking the Camino way across northern Spain, its slow paced but good.
Guy goes into the doctor's.
"Doc, I've got a cricket ball stuck up my backside
"How's that?"
"Don't you start"

Logicalman

If you like Lock Stock, Snatch, etc, then you will like The Gentlemen. Colin Farrell is in his best role thus far (imo), Hugh Grant and Charlie Hunnam (Sons of Anarchy, Green Street) carry their roles off perfectly, and Matthew McConaughey & Michelle Dockery both put to bed any ideas of prim and proper actors. Engaging, funny, and will leave you laughing out loudly (Love The Jam touch at the end credits as well) - as for the ninja boxers with Go cams, yeah, well, seen to be believed.
Logical is just in the name - don't expect it has anything to do with my thought process, because I AM the man who sold the world.

Logicalman

Quote from: Barrett487 on January 02, 2021, 06:36:28 PM
I'm not up with the latest films tbh, but i'll look out for these.

My reason for replying is that Samuel L Jackson is such a phenomenal actor and 'Coach Carter' remains one of my all-time favourite films. Anyone who's in to sports themed films and SLJ will love it.

Did you see him in Unthinkable (with SLJ & Michael Sheen)?   https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0914863/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1 Thought provoking at it's best.

Finnans Right Peg

Cheers I'll watch the Gentleman after the darts

rebel

Horrors and Thrillers, with lots of twists are awesome. I watched 'Cellular', seen it before, very watchable again.   

e4b

Just watched The Gentleman. Excellent film loved it. Thanks for the heads up  Logicalman. :54:

ALG01

I just saw Green Book and it was brilliant.

The Rock

Ted Lasso (on Apple TV, that's the caveat). Yank American College football coach hired by some divorcee from Wandsworth to ruin her ex-husbands fictional Premier League team called Richmond AFC. Have only seen the first few episodes but entertaining.

Logicalman

Quote from: The Rock on January 02, 2021, 11:10:33 PM
Ted Lasso (on Apple TV, that's the caveat). Yank American College football coach hired by some divorcee from Wandsworth to ruin her ex-husbands fictional Premier League team called Richmond AFC. Have only seen the first few episodes but entertaining.

I've heard it's good. Not having AppleTV it's something I'll have to wait on until it's licensed to another broadcaster.
I recall NBC commissioned the original videos for this when they got the rights to the EPL.

Here's the original - An American Coach in London:

and the sequel - The Return of Coach Lasso

Logicalman

Just watched another goodie: Official Secrets with Keira Knightley, Matt Smith, Matthew Goode & Ralph Fiennes. True story based on the leaking of the US memo just prior to the 2003 Gulf War by GCHQ worker Katharine Gun

Logicalman

Quote from: ALG01 on January 02, 2021, 11:03:50 PM
I just saw Green Book and it was brilliant.

ALG, thanks for the recommendation for Green Book. We just finished watching it, and found it excellent. I have been a Mortensen fan since the Crimson Tide & GI Jane days, and this was a different role, but he carried it off just as well, the fact we share exactly the same birth date and he's a Fulham Fan has nothing to do with it!

RaySmith

Mince n Tatties

They struggle to make decent films anymore,special effects have taken over from acting.