News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Would Parker’s new counter attack tactics work in the Championship?

Started by Milo, January 06, 2021, 09:04:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milo

What does everyone think?

Will be different personnel in places, but presumably this is going to be how Parker plays going forward.

Will it be more or less successful in the Championship?

I think probably less as teams will sit back against us and there will be less space to counter in to. Similar to the game v Brighton.

FulhamStu

I think you can do both, be able to keep the ball when necessary and sit behind the ball and hit on the counter when under pressure.  With a player like BDR playing wing back you can, with good coaching, morf between the 2 set ups.

PaulJ123

The issue being in the championship we would be classed a "top" team if we were to go down so people would just get people behind the ball making countering difficult.

Think we'd have to be more on the front foot in the championship.

FulhamStu

Quote from: PaulJ123 on January 06, 2021, 09:17:04 AM
The issue being in the championship we would be classed a "top" team if we were to go down so people would just get people behind the ball making countering difficult.

Think we'd have to be more on the front foot in the championship.

Agree with this, but the ability to play counter attack will still present itself at times during a game, for instance if we are leading 1-0 with 15 mins to go, the opponents will need to attack us and we can secure the 3 points on the counter attack.  Either that or bring on defenders and play to hang on which is a less attractive alternative for me.

filham

We haven't the players for this system even in the championship. Cav.'s goals coring record has been dismal for a long time now.

colinwhite

Parker has shown that he is not a one trick pony and more than capable of choosing the tactcis depending on the players he has and the opposition. Made some big calls too.

The Rational Fan

Quote from: filham on January 06, 2021, 09:48:31 AM
We haven't the players for this system even in the championship. Cav.'s goals coring record has been dismal for a long time now.

I think our goalkeepers, defenders, and midfielders can play a variety of formations/tactics well, while most of our forwards tend to be limited in which tactics suit them. The squad may need some adjustments, if we go down. 

toshes mate

I guess the answer to the question lies in just what kind of defence we end up with at the point of our relegation.  Since I am not as pessimistic about the outcome of this season as some others on here are, then I'd struggle to see who might be playing for us at some unknown point in the future ... 

RaySmith

Agree with Tosh's Mate - it's hard to predict who will be with us/ stay with us if/when we go down.

There's still most of the season to play, and we have given ourselves a good  chance of staying up with our recent acquisitions, who have made a  great improvement, along with Scott's leadership, even if  we're still short of a goalscorer. We are not cast adrift at all.

I think we have a much greater chance of staying up, than last time we were in the Prem, and to to throw in the towel now, seems very premature, and defeatist.

We have to   focus on the present, with everything still to to play for.

Mickeyboro

hovewhite

Think Scott would adapt a lot better tactic wise next time if we slip back down and think he will only get better coaching wise.

Woolly Mammoth

We have a far better chance of staying up this season, than if we went down and tried to return next season or the season after or the season after that.
This month the club have an opportunity to resolve the striker department and find a solution. That is a lot easier and would take less time if we splash the cash in the right way instead of starting from square one next season. We have more pull whilst we are in the Premier League, as once we drop back down it is a bigger dog fight to come back up whenever and if that ever happens. We should be busting a gut to get a decent striker and a right winger with pace, instead of sitting on their hands 3000 miles away.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

Andy S

If we get relegated we have to rebuild as 50% of our players have moved on. Whatever players we sign would need to adapt to whatever system the manager decided he wanted to play

Statto

If the three that go down this season are Fulham, Liverpool and Leicester, then I can see the relevance of the OP because that will mean there are four games next year where we're playing much better teams than us and need to soak up a lot of pressure and try to get something on the break. Otherwise I don't see the relevance. I can't see why we'd take a tactical option developed for that specific scenario then use it in the totally different and inappropriate scenario of a home game v Ipswich.

Milo

Quote from: Statto on January 08, 2021, 01:49:48 AM
If the three that go down this season are Fulham, Liverpool and Leicester, then I can see the relevance of the OP because that will mean there are four games next year where we're playing much better teams than us and need to soak up a lot of pressure and try to get something on the break. Otherwise I don't see the relevance. I can't see why we'd take a tactical option developed for that specific scenario then use it in the totally different and inappropriate scenario of a home game v Ipswich.

Agree... and yet we did just that against Brighton recently who are a comparable team to us at Championship level.

Hence the question, is this Parker's new style regardless of opposition?