watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Joe Bryan

Started by FFC In Oz, January 17, 2021, 05:40:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FFC In Oz

Joe now gets his opportunity to reassert himself as our left wing back and make the position his own.

Hopefully he gives Parker a big selection dilemma with 3 brilliant performances.

I'm looking forward to seeing his crossing though, that's an area of the game where Robinson is nowhere near Joe's level

Bassey the warrior

Quote from: FFC In Oz on January 17, 2021, 05:40:37 AM
Joe now gets his opportunity to reassert himself as our left wing back and make the position his own.

Hopefully he gives Parker a big selection dilemma with 3 brilliant performances.

I'm looking forward to seeing his crossing though, that's an area of the game where Robinson is nowhere near Joe's level

Yeah Robinson's crosses are usually poor. Bryan will need to improve his defending though.

New Kid on the Block

I don't think Joe's defending is any worse than Antonee's. I think he's been off the pace the last 2 games and has struggled to handle his opponent's. Joe's crossing is far better and his absence may well be why Mitro is lacking confidence. Joe assisted Mitro 6 times last season, a not insignificant amount. Now is he chance to reestablish himself.

FFC In Oz

Quote from: New Kid on the Block on January 17, 2021, 08:26:41 AM
I don't think Joe's defending is any worse than Antonee's. I think he's been off the pace the last 2 games and has struggled to handle his opponent's. Joe's crossing is far better and his absence may well be why Mitro is lacking confidence. Joe assisted Mitro 6 times last season, a not insignificant amount. Now is he chance to reestablish himself.

True, and there were probably more that Mitro could have scored from Bryan - but for a save, the woodwork or missing the target.

I can't recall Robinson actually hitting the target with a cross this season (Surely there's been at least one?!), and am looking forward to seeing what Bryan can do

hovewhite

Also his ability on free kicks is a bonus.

S.F.Sorrow

I've always liked Joe Bryan but LB in a back four was never his best position. I think he was more of a LWB/LW before he joined us?

In our current formation he will have more of a wing back role. I think he will thrive in this role. He lacks the pace of Robinson but in every other way I consider Bryan a far superior footballer.

We Are Premier League

Might be tumbleweed on the bench for next game with both Reid and Robinson added to the list of absentees...

jayffc

Quote from: We Are Premier League on January 17, 2021, 09:46:50 AM
Might be tumbleweed on the bench for next game with both Reid and Robinson added to the list of absentees...

Wouldnt it be nice to find out the RW weve been looking for all along was actually Jasper! We can but hope!

WindyCity

Quote from: Mitrovic the warrior on January 17, 2021, 07:42:38 AM
Quote from: FFC In Oz on January 17, 2021, 05:40:37 AM

Yeah Robinson's crosses are usually poor. Bryan will need to improve his defending though.

Robinson's passes and crosses have been much better in recent games.  He's likely practicing intensely on this part of his game on the training ground.  His pass that set up what should have been a FFC goal (Cav sitter blown) was beautiful.

AnOldBrownie

OK.   Joe was average to poor at defending in the championship as a traditional FB.    There is a reason he's been a sub.   Now....with us playing with 3 central defenders at the back... Joe may be a better attacking option as a LWB, but he is not a better defender than Robinson.   

Is Joe a better passer?   I'd say yes.    Free kick taker?   Yes.

But let's not pretend nothing existed on Joe's CV prior to the promotion championship game.

He's not taller, not stronger, not faster, not positionally better, nor is his overall work rate (currently) on the level of Robinson.

But I wish Joe the best.

Sting of the North

Quote from: AnOldBrownie on January 17, 2021, 05:34:03 PM

OK.   Joe was average to poor at defending in the championship as a traditional FB.    There is a reason he's been a sub.   Now....with us playing with 3 central defenders at the back... Joe may be a better attacking option as a LWB, but he is not a better defender than Robinson.   

Is Joe a better passer?   I'd say yes.    Free kick taker?   Yes.

But let's not pretend nothing existed on Joe's CV prior to the promotion championship game.

He's not taller, not stronger, not faster, not positionally better, nor is his overall work rate (currently) on the level of Robinson.

But I wish Joe the best.

Not sure I can agree that Bryan is not positionally better. Even though it is a problem for Bryan, in my opinion it is a huge problem for Robinson. Lost count over the last few games of the times Robinson was completely in the wrong place when defending. He is good in one on one defending, but his defensive decision making and positional sense leaves a lot to be desired in my opinion. He has an amazing engine though, so may turn out a very good player down the line if he improves in both ends of the pitch.

Jim©

I'm looking forward to seeing Bryan as I think he's better all round bar speed and energy. Robinson has been diving in a lot the last three matches, which has led to chances in each game. Wing back is Joe's best position in my mind, let's see how he goes...

MrFFC

Robinson is much better than Bryan in my opinion but this is what a squad is for hopefully Bryan steps up. Robinson is a miss though he links well with Lookman
Come on you Whites!! :)

Whitestone

Agree. Robinson is a far better option than Bryan which explains why the manger repeatedly selects him over Bryan. I'm hopeful that Bryan will take his opportunity during Robinson's absence. Not a bad back up to have and decent going forward with a good cross in his locker.

blingo

Don't let a good free kick blind anyone. Robinson is the better defender.

H4usuallysitting

He'd work well in our current back 5.... As long as he gets cover

colinwhite

Bryan is abetter footballer but doesnt have the physical attributes or the defnsive awareness for the PL . Robinson gets up and down the pitch n a way Bryan simply cant do . he also has pace and strength and Ariel ability that Bryan cant match. Robinson is green at times but his pace and strength compensates for any deficiences. Hope Joe has cracking game against utd, but think we could miss Robinsons pace against Rashford and co.

We Are Premier League

I think missing Robinson and Reid at the same time might hurt us, they both an an unbelivable engine that Bryan and Tete can't match.

filham

We are fortunate have Bryan ready to replace Robinson, he has a lot to offer in that new wing back role.
It is just the pace of Robinson we are going to miss, he was good at running at defenders.

ALG01

I think robinson is a way better defender than Bryan but Joe surely has a brilliant opportunity to change that view.

I do feel sorry for Bryan because he is good going forward and I would have hoped he could have found a way to also be played, eg move reid to central striker and let Bryan play on the RHS with the ability to cut in.  Better than RLC perhaps and Cav clearly needs a rest.