watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Superstitions

Started by Peabody, February 10, 2010, 01:21:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peabody

Got to thinking yesterday as I prepared to leave for the game. You wear the same lucky pair of underpants, plus the same lucky matchday shirt, not forgetting those lucky old brown shoes. On a matchday you try to follow the same old habits, like drinking your tea/coffee from that ols Fulham mug. You set out and catch the same train, follow the same route to the game (home games only for this one). You even bring your wife into the ritual by insisting that she says "I hope they win" just before you leave. Then you start to thinking that by you doing all this to ensure Fulham secure a victory, that really, Roy and his coaching staff are wasting their time because its your efforts that have earned that win!! So you try and do something that is harder than giving up smoking, you try to give up your superstitions. Funny old world is'nt it?.

Peabody

By the way, the photo is of Dexter Ellis Daniel Shrimpton, my new grandson.

mrska

I used to have 2 superstitions

When i drove to games  when i passed the Mark Bolan statue where he died in  a car crash  i'd say  "HELLO MARK"....

and

In the days of the Hammersmith End terrace, i used to walk over to the wall by the river.. look up and down the river, then walk around the back of the stand.... and back to where i was standing....

Thankfully...  i dont have any anymore!

mrska

Quote from: Peabody on February 10, 2010, 01:22:18 PM

Lovely Picture..  Hope he's well....  make him a FULHAM FAN....

finnster01

Absolutely Mr Peabody.

I am right there with you on the lucky underpants front. I also have started (going back to the Great Escape at Pompey) to go to church, say a prayer, and light a candle for Fulham pre-match. As I am in the States now, that has some timezone admin so sometimes I do it the night before. If we win, I go to church the next day to say thanks. (Haven't been there a lot on odd weeks when we play away...) When in London, I do the same with my daughter. We also have a strict Sat early morning regimen with a full English breakfast, a few pints (dad only), the papers and just quality weekend divorced dad/daughter time. I also always put my wallet in the same pocket just before kickoff.

There is no way I can stop doing any of these things. If I did, I fear the club would go into administration.
If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you are most likely dead

LBNo11

...quite funny that you should bring this up, I normally wear the same shreddies and predominantly black & white attire for games, but yesterday, without thinking of the colour combinations I wore a burgundy t-shirt with a blue fleece, blue jeans and a dark red pair of socks (has this become the offal?).

For all who did not know me I could have been a Burnleh fan with that ensemble! I should try the reverse psychology at the next game - damn, it's Notts County..!
Twitter: @LBNo11FFC

Peabody

Quote from: mrska on February 10, 2010, 01:36:25 PM
Quote from: Peabody on February 10, 2010, 01:22:18 PM

Lovely Picture..  Hope he's well....  make him a FULHAM FAN....

No question, he is a Fulham Fan.

TheDaddy

During me youth i had a gold FFC ring which i put on up side down during games for lucky.Now whenever i go to a game i hang my fulham top from me window.Also have a pair of red england socks and old school red 66 england Tshirt that i always wear when out during an england match.
"Well blow me if it wasnt the badger who did it "

Lighthouse

When I went I had a set routine and would never eat before a game on Saturday.

Nowadays I always say BZs name three times and turn in an anti clockwise circle three times. Then I pour a tin of custard into a microwave. Clean it up and then pour another tin of custard into a dish and place into a microwave. If we win it remains there or I eat it cold. Or if we lose I take drugs, warm up the custard, eat it with some Ice Cream and wear a pair of Wellingtons. If a draw I pour the half warmed custard into the wellingtons, wear them and then add fruit and anything handy. I then go for a short walk.

On my return I take off the Wellingtons and sing the entire American Pie song. If I forget any word I have to start again from the beginning. After that I watch MOTD and then find a doorway to sleep in.

But to be honest I suspect many have the same sort of ritual
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

The Equalizer

I always tend to drink 4 pints of Golden Best prior to each match, with a further 6 after. It tends to bring me plenty of fortune.
"We won't look back on this season with regret, but with pride. Because we won what many teams fail to win in a lifetime – an unprecedented degree of respect and support that saw British football fans unite and cheer on Fulham with heart." Mohammed Al Fayed, May 2010

Twitter: @equalizerffc

Peabody

Quote from: The Equalizer on February 10, 2010, 02:07:35 PM
I always tend to drink 4 pints of Golden Best prior to each match, with a further 6 after. It tends to bring me plenty of fortune.

Now that is what I call a useful superstition

Logicalman

.. and I thought SWMBO and I were the only OCD'ers at Fulham.

We wear the same shirts for each game, sit in the same place (when at home), have the same breakfast ritual pre-match (when live).

The only difference last week (Pompey game) is that we actually washed our shirts (something that wasn't done since returning from our last visit there last Summer), and we actually won! Haven't washed them since before that game, so we'll just see how the results go, and have the washing machine on standby.

JBH

Always wear my same Brown Boots, they have holes in the bottom and I quite often end up with wet Fulham Football socks (Puma Fulham black and red ones).

Only drink Guiness pre match because of the colour.

Vinnieffc

Playing days - left sock/shinguard/boot on before the right. Second out on the pitch.. Post playing - always wear the appropriate shirt if I can't get to a game. Not failsafe but works for me..

Peabody

Quote from: JBH on February 10, 2010, 08:23:56 PM
Always wear my same Brown Boots, they have holes in the bottom and I quite often end up with wet Fulham Football socks (Puma Fulham black and red ones).

Only drink Guiness pre match because of the colour.

I was walking behind you last night, I know it was you because you were squelching when you walked. Could that have been the boots or the Guinness?

clintclintdeuce

I wear my fulham shirt to bed before a match. On flights over to England or when flying to travelling to a game in England, the last song I listen to on my iPod before or while  deplane/detraining is "Dont Tread on This" by Clint Dempsey.. If were losing and Im home in the morning at half time, I have an egg white veggie omlette with a dark beer. If were still losing by the 60th, I throw a chew in to "chaw our luck".
The Dude abides.

Logicalman

Quote from: clintclintdeuce on February 10, 2010, 10:11:17 PM
I wear my fulham shirt to bed before a match. On flights over to England or when flying to travelling to a game in England, the last song I listen to on my iPod before or while  deplane/detraining is "Dont Tread on This" by Clint Dempsey.. If were losing and Im home in the morning at half time, I have an egg white veggie omlette with a dark beer. If were still losing by the 60th, I throw a chew in to "chaw our luck".

Come over to our place and you'll make do with a bacon sarnie and strong coffee before the morning match lad!!   ;D