watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Thursday Fulham Stuff (09/12/10)

Started by WhiteJC, December 09, 2010, 06:23:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

http://www.eatsleepsport.com/fulham/hughes-explains-schwarzer-decision-1131258.html?

Hughes explains Schwarzer decision

Mark Hughes has hinted he persuaded Mark Schwarzer to stay at Fulham by offering him a coaching role in the future.

The Australia international looked all set to join Arsenal in the January transfer window having handed in a transfer request during the summer when the Gunners came calling.

However, just a month before the window opened Schwarzer decided to commit his future to Fulham, signing a new two-year-contract that will keep him at Craven Cottage until he is 40.

Hughes has now revealed how he got Schwarzer to stay, revealing that he has offered the shot stopper the chance to become a coach at the club once he hangs up his gloves.

"If that's something he wants to pursue in the future, I would certainly be receptive to enabling him to possibly start his coaching career and see how it develops. That would be an option for him, I'm sure," said Hughes on Schwarzer coaching.

"I just sat him down and said, for myself and for Fulham to be successful, I need Mark Schwarzer here."

WhiteJC

http://www.soccerway.com/news/2010/December/08/premier-league-preview-fulham-v-sunderland/?

Premier League preview: Fulham v Sunderland

Sunderland will look to continue their winning ways when they travel to London to face Fulham at Craven Cottage on Saturday.

The Black Cats have excelled in the Premier League this season, defeating the likes of Chelsea and Manchester City on their way to a seventh-place standing in the league table.

But assistant coach Eric Black is not getting caught up in the furore surrounding Steve Bruce's side, and was quick to remind pundits that they suffered a demoralising 1-0 loss to Fulham in London last season.

"The day down there was one of our most disappointing of last season," Black said.

"We had some poor performances away from home last year and that was one of the poorest. We just didn't turn up and it was a let-down."

Black also added that struggling Fulham, who are languishing at the wrong end of the Premier League table, remain every bit as threatening as when they reached the Europa League final last season under Roy Hodgson's tenure.

"They are a good footballing team who haven't changed an awful lot since Roy was in charge. They work the ball around exceptionally well," he said.

"Despite the loss of players like (Bobby) Zamora and (Moussa) Dembele, still have proven goal scorers in their ranks and we will have to be aware of players such as (Clint) Dempsey, (Zoltan) Gera and Andy Johnson."

Given their injury woes up front, Fulham striker Diomansy Kamara, who scored in their 2-1 loss to Arsenal at the Emirates on Saturday, is hopeful of retaining his place in the starting 11.

"There's a lot of competition but some strikers are injured at the moment, so it's nice for me to start and get on the scoresheet," Kamara said.

"I've been working hard. We've got a lot of strikers, AJ (Johnson) is back, but I played well and scored."

WhiteJC

http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=224018

Fulham - Sorry Martin!
Here at Vital Fulham we`d like to concoct some sort of apology!

Yesterday, in a fit of pique, we put two and two together and inferred that Martin Jol has quit Ajax to chase down the Newcastle job.

We also inferred that perhaps Jol though Newcastle were a far moe attractive option than Craven Cottage!

Well it looks like we were wrong on both counts with Jol distancing himself from the Newcastle job because of the way his good friend, Chris Hughton, was treated by the north-east club.

However, our intrigue relating to the Jol situation has manifested itself in our recent poll!

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=224018#ixzz17aqCOxSf

WhiteJC

http://cravencottagenewsround.wordpress.com/2010/12/08/philippines-draw-0-0-with-lowly-myanmar-still-advance/?

Philippines draw 0-0 with lowly Myanmar, still advance
Filed under: General — timmyg 
The Philippines had a great opportunity to win Group B outright but succumbed to a 0-0 draw with Myanmar, a nation that had conceded 9 goals in just two games. Their draw coupled with Vietnam's win over Singapore means the PR Booters finish second in the group.

Nonetheless Neil Etheridge's nation still advances to the semifinals of the AFF Suzuki Cup for the first time ever.

AFF Suzuki Cup 2010 Group B Myanmar vs Philippines

The tournament continues for the Philippines on December 16 when they play Group A winners Indonesia in a two-legged affair. The AFF has ruled that the Philippines home match be played at a neutral venue because the nation does not have any suitable stadiums, but the Philippine Olympic Committee is requesting the use of Panaad Stadium in Bacolod.

WhiteJC

http://www.tribalfootball.com/articles/fulham-boss-hughes-keen-offer-schwarzer-coaching-role-1309941?

Fulham boss Hughes keen to offer Schwarzer coaching role

Fulham manager Mark Hughes says he would be keen to give goalkeeper Mark Schwarzer a coaching role if the player was interested.

The 38-year old Australian veteran finally signed a new deal with the Cottagers last week, ending months of speculation regarding his future, and now Hughes is hoping he will get involved in the mentoring and coaching side of things at Craven Cottage.

"If that's something he wants to pursue in the future, I would certainly be receptive to enabling him to possibly start his coaching career and see how it develops," he said.

"That would be an option for him, I'm sure."

Schwarzer penned a two-year deal with the option of a third, and Hughes was confident the former Middlesbrough gloveman would be at his best during that timeframe.

"He's a very fit guy and we would like to think he would," Hughes added.

"Obviously, we've given him a decent length in terms of his contract and he could go on for many more years, even further than he's going to be contracted for.

"So that's credit to him and that's why he's a good professional - he's looked after himself and, if you do that in football terms, then you can be rewarded into your thirties and forties as a keeper."

WhiteJC

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2010/12/ochoa-on-his-way/?

Is Ochoa on his way in?
by LORK

I don't normally take any attention of transfer rumours but this has something official to it. Reports today say that Guillermo Ochoa's on his way to Fulham for negotiations. Here's a comment from his club:

"Club America reports that our goalkeeper, Francisco Guillermo Ochoa Magana, is traveling to London, England to attend the invitation made to Fulham FC and its Technical Director, Mr Mark Hughes."
Source – http://www.mediotiempo.com/futbol/mexico/noticias/2010/12/08/las-aguilas-confirmaron-viaje-de-ochoa-a-inglaterra

The young Mexican goalkeeper, only 25, already has well over 200 appearances for club and country and was close to joining United not too long ago, not to mention his reputation as a beast of a goalie in Footy Manager (then again, Eddie Johnson was one of the best bargain buys of all time).

Now, after Schwarzer signed his contract extension it was natural to assume that he would stay for at least the next 7 months but it suprised me that he did after how much he pushed for a move, I thought that he had pushed it too far in the summer and his position was untenable. If this Ochoa fella does come however it won't be for cheap, and you'd assume that it wouldn't be as a second choice keeper either. Maybe Schwarzer until July and then Ochoa takes over as first choice from then? Was Hughes playing football politics and getting Mark on a longer contract to maximise his potential transfer value? Is it even a deal worth making?

To be honest there's no point answering those questions unless the deal is actually done and we've seen time and time again deals that are this advanced collapse but it is interesting, and quite exciting, news nevertheless in a Fulham age where very little accurate transfer speculation is reported.

WhiteJC

http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2010/December/Advent9-Christmasdinner.aspx?

Cottage Christmas Dinner

Buy one get a free place at our Cottage Christmas Dinner!

In today's great Christmas offer, we are giving you a very special gift with our fantastic buy one get one FREE Cottage Christmas Dinner offer.*

Join us at in one of our riverside lounges at Craven Cottage from 6pm on Tuesday 14th December for a truly memorable evening of Christmas merriment!

Combine a sumptuous three-course meal with a Christmas cocktail reception with Brede Hangeland and Aaron Hughes whilst enjoying exclusive photo opportunities. You will also receive an exclusive retail offer, a Fulham FC gift and entry into a Fulham FC raffle for a chance to win some fantastic prizes!

For today only, you can secure two places for just £69 by calling 020 7862 5372 between 9am and 5:30pm. Outside of these times, fill out the below form and a member of our events team will contact you to confirm your booking.

*Subject to availability.

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2010/December/Advent9-Christmasdinner.aspx?#ixzz17armwS00

WhiteJC

PSV's Manolev is the man for Fulham

Fulham boss Mark Hughes is chasing Bulgarian international defender Stanislav Manolev.

The PSV Eindhoven stopper, 24, is rated in the £2m class and the Dutch club may be willing to sell in January, with Fulham looking to strengthen their squad for their battle against relegation.

Italian side Bologna are also keen though, and Fulham may also face competition from several German clubs.

Read more: http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Transfer-news-Fulham-boss-Mark-Hughes-is-chasing-PSV-Eindhovens-2m-rated-Bulgarian-international-defender-Stanislav-Manolev-article647487.html#ixzz17ZPC781f

White Noise

http://www.radioformula.com.mx/notas.asp?Idn=144971

Ochoa near Fulham, went to England

Denise Maerker

December 8, 2010

Made clear options for services azulcrema goalkeeper Guillermo Ochoa, are the Fulham of England where the Mexican military Carlos Salcido, the English is apparently a need for a goalkeeper.

-------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------

The commentator, David Faitelson, said the goalkeeper of the Eagles of America, Guillermo Ochoa traveled to England, to approach negotiations involving him with English football.

Made clear options for the services of goalkeeper azulcrema are the Fulham of England where the Mexican military Carlos Salcido, the English is apparently a need for a goalkeeper.

For his part in "ESPN Radio Formula" reported that Ochoa is very close to reaching the European football, as there is progress in the negotiations to come out of Mexican football.

Also, Juan Carlos Padilla, a representative of the club, said there have been talks, which has taken them to take with caution, and confidentially, "because it is a very sensitive issue and have only been talks," he said.

Padilla said Fulham representing Latin America, including Mexico, "you've had talks but there is no formal way, I'm flying to London, because tomorrow (today) will have a meeting with all managers of Fulham, to give one step further in these talks and hopefully we can achieve a successful transfer to Memo Ochoa

It should be noted that Mexican goalkeeper out of America, the club could be without symbols, after the unfortunate accident in January, striker Salvador Cabanas.

Club America, in a statement, said Guillermo Ochoa traveled to England to attend the invitation made to Fulham and coach, Mark Hughes.

Our club, said the statement, has been in continual contact with Memo, who enjoy their holidays and therefore is aware of the invitation of the London club.

He said the club will watch the result of this invitation, and if that conduct a negotiation between America and Fulham, will be released once the same.

Guillermo Ochoa will report to Club America on Monday 13 December to carry out medical examinations in accordance with the planning of the preseason first team for the Clausura 2011.

On the other hand, the sports commentator Orvañanos Raul, spoke with the president of the Eagles of America, Michel Bauer, who told him that Guillermo Ochoa traveled to England with his agent Jorge Berlanga, to talk to the coach and managers Fulham regarding possible interest in becoming their services.

He said that talk, we will know if there is real interest, and if so, officially, the American club, initiate talks with the English club to let them know the number that calls on the Mexican goalkeeper.

White Noise

Fulham v SAFC: Fayed, pictures of Lily, praise for our Steeeeeed

We promised Fulham's man of money in this week's "Who are You?" slot, and while Steve Johnson* may not be Mohamed as Fayed, or have quite his fortune, he does work in money. He's also a passionate Fulham fan with some great answers to our questions ahead of Fulham v Sunderland this Saturday. Sadly no photo – so we've just had to make do again with his club's celebrity supporter Lily Allen, who we're sure really, really wants to do this feature herself of only she can break free from her tyrannical PR people ...

Mohamed al Fayed: a good thing for Fulham FC or do you have reservations? Where would you be now without the support he's given?

When "Mo" put his hand in his pocket in 1997 the club had just gone through the lowest point in its history. I must admit there was some nervousness about him initially but he put a lot of money into the grass roots of the club and it was clear he was in for the whole journey. The rest is history, as they say on the pitch, although not keen on the dodgy shirts and the occasional dodgy guest – Michael Jackson and Maradonna !! Where would we be without him – probably Ryman Premier League!!

Was Mark Hughes a smart appointment and how do you feel he is measuring up?

I think we were all still on a high in the summer after Hamburg, and the thought of getting Martin Jol from Ajax was very appealing. So Hughes did feel a bit like sloppy seconds in the end and to follow "Woy" was always going to be very hard. The jury is still out, but the general level of play is actually better than last year with a bit more going forward. I always thought that he was abit of a post match moaner but he seems to have chilled a bit. Word from the training ground is that the players respect him so happy to keep the faith! ps We may all hate Mr Jol soon!!!!

So far lots of draws, some good results and that hammering at home to Man City. What were your minimum and maximum expectations at the start of the season?

Should I say Champions League or Championship? take anything for granted here, would love to have another European Tour but would have hoped for top 10 at least.

Do you feel moral ascendancy supporting Fulham instead of Chelsea, and how will it be in terms of local rivalries if QPR turn money into serious success?

I live, work and drink around Chelscum fans that are continually trying to be friendly and tell me how they "like" Fulham. When are they going to realise I hate them with a passion? I spent most of the summer being wined and dined by fans of all different clubs on the back of our Europa Cup exploits. How often were they congratulated on their double ? The rivalry with Chelsea is actually a bit soft – now QPR is more of a physical thing. If we are alongside each other next year watch this space. There is also a bit of needle with Brentford that goes back to our really dark days.

Who are the best players you have seen in Fulham colours, do you have handed-down thoughts/anecdotes on Johnny Haynes and other giants of the past?

Never saw the best No 10 play but by all accounts a true legend. My support goes back to around 1972 and I was very fortunate to see Mullery and Moore get us to the Cup Final in 75 and then enjoy the madness of Best and Marsh just a few years later. I worked in an office of the bank at that time where we controlled the accounts for Fulham FC. To say the least it was a week to week existence, but luckily our senior manager was a huge Fulham fan and I am sure he kept the club alive more than once. I was privileged enough to meet George Best at a lunch a true gent. In terms of more recent heroes – Les Barrett (sublime 70s winger), Gordon Davies, Roger Brown, John Collins , Simon Morgan and Brian McBride. Most of these just always did it for the shirt !

nicksarebi

And which players should never have been allowed anywhere near Fulham colours?

I am very easily pleased when somebody puts on the Black and White colours but without a doubt the worst signing was Steve Marlet £11.5m. What was Mo thinking about, and we got done for not paying the agent his fee or something like that. Talk about salt in the wound. Apart from that the only other name that comes to mind is the worlds biggest (being kind) goalkeeper Jim Stannard who would always have at least three showings in every Own Goals and Gaffes Video that Danny Baker released.

And thoughts on Sunderland: the club, the city, the fans?

Sad to say that in all my travels I have never visited Roker or Stadium of Light. In fact I seem to view Sunderland as a club that we play twice every year, generally share the points, and everyone goes home happy. Have met quite a few of your fans at the Cottage over the years and always good for banter and support. We have shared some good players down the years Vic Halom, Lee Clark, Paul Bracewell and of course you now enjoy the silky Steeeeeeeed!! Such a shame he left here on such bad terms a truly gifted player who gave us some great moments.

You've travelled a bit watching Fulham. Do you rub shoulders with Lily Allen and other celebrity fans? Describe any memorable moments.

Like all clubs we have a few celebs and actually Keith Allen is someone I have met. Pleased to see he has brought his kids up properly. To be honest I don't think the likes of Hugh Grant and Honor Blackman drink in the same establishments as me. Mind you I am surprised I didn't bump into Hugh in the Red Light part of Hamburg last year ! The big celeb fan this year is Example – rapper – I guess he was too busy for this gig!!

Name this season's top four in order, and the bottom three. Where will our two clubs finish, in not in either list (!)?

Arsenal
Man U
Man C
Tottenham

BOTTOM
Newcastle
West Ham
Chelsea

(allow me this small moment !!)
FFC 10th
SAFC 11th

Is is time to abandon high-minded principles about cheating – diving, feigning injury, haranguing referees to get opponents booked or sent off – and accept it as part of the modern game? if not, how do we stamp it out?

The modern player is only doing what he can get away with. This is a game that loves talking points and it would be wrong to try and desensitise it totally. If you want to stop something then hit the players where it hurts ie lengthy bans. Grow up everybody, it is not a perfect world.

What did you make of the World Cup 2010 and what thoughts do you have on the outcome of the Fifa vote of 2018?

Each one disappoints more than the one before.That is not a reference to England. It was not much fun watching with the sound turned down. The final itself was a fitting epitaph. I think that not getting the 2018 World Cup was probably a blessing in disguise. Our FA is the laughing stock of the world and until the running of football here is sorted then forget it. Fifa is a gentlemen's club and we are wearing jeans and making noise !!

Will you be at our game and what will be the score?

Sadly not my turn this year. Both sides to score 2-1 to the Mighty Whites !

* Steve Johnson on Steve Johnson; Private Banking Manager for a high street bank. Followed Fulham for 37 years the ups and downs and running arounds ! Who would have thought that we would get to a European Final, not me as I decided to go to the very first game in Lithuania just in case that was it ! Mind you glad I did lovely scenery ! Sadly no pics !! My club have been my longest relationship in life they never ask me where I have been or if I have had a drink. I wish I could marry them!

Interview: Colin Randall

Read more: http://salutsunderland.com/2010/12/fulham/#ixzz17bWqDzfu

White Noise

Clint Dempsey set to spark bidding war between Liverpool and Wolfsburg

Wolfsburg manager Steve McClaren has expressed an interest in raiding Fulham to sign impressive USA midfielder Clint Dempsey.

In demand: Clint Dempsey could on his way out of Fulham in January if Liverpool and Wolfsburg get their way (Pic: Getty)

The 27-year-old has been linked with a move away from Craven Cottage this season, with former manager Roy Hodgson also said to be interested in bringing the midfielder to Anfield next year.

Dempsey has been at Fulham since January 2007 and has gone on to make a total of 126 appearances, scoring 26 times.

While Fulham will understandably be keen to hold on to the USA international given his form this season, however, with their position in the league table – 17th – he could be tempted by a move elsewhere in the new year.

McClaren has reportedly been monitoring his progress at Fulham and could table a rival bid to Liverpool's in the January transfer window.

The midfielder has been valued at around £10 million and if he were to express a desire to leave next year will no doubt attract considerable attention from a number of clubs.

Read more: http://www.metro.co.uk/sport/football/849892-clint-dempsey-set-to-spark-bidding-war-between-liverpool-and-wolfsburg#ixzz17bXVEQKQ

WhiteJC

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11095_6563060,00.html?

Ochoa gets Fulham invite
Mexican keeper offered chance to earn move to Premier League

Mexican goalkeeper Guillermo Ochoa has been invited to train with Fulham, according to his team Club America.

Ochoa has often been linked with a move to the Premier League and was reportedly the subject of a failed bid from Everton two years ago.

Arsenal are also rumoured to hold an interest in the 25-year-old, but Fulham are now keen to take a closer look at the shot-stopper.

Club America say Ochoa has been invited to London and are now waiting to see if the Cottagers want to start negotiations regarding a possible transfer.

Waiting

"Our goalkeeper Guillermo Ochoa has travelled to London after accepting the invitation he has received from Fulham and the manager Mark Hughes," said a club statement.

"Our club has been in touch all the time with Ochoa, who is enjoying his holidays, and that's why he has accepted the invitation he has received from Fulham.

"America will be aware of the results of this invitation and, in case there is a negotiation between both clubs, we will let the press know once they have finished."

Ochoa has plenty of experience at club and international level, and was Mexico's second-choice keeper at the World Cup in South Africa in the summer.

WhiteJC

http://www.tribalfootball.com/articles/fulham-striker-zamora-plans-play-again-season-1311481?

Fulham striker Zamora plans to play again this season

Fulham striker Bobby Zamora hope to play again this season.

The England ace has been out for three months after breaking his leg in a challenge with Wolves skipper Karl Henry.

During surgery it was discovered Zamora, 29, had also suffered ankle ligament damage.

He had treatment in an oxygen chamber before heading to Dubai to continue his rehabilitation.

It was feared Zamora - who had only just signed a new four-year deal - would be out for the rest of the season.

But while the former West Ham hitman is refusing to rush back, he expects to feature in what could be a relegation fight for the Cottagers.

WhiteJC

http://www.espn.co.uk/football/sport/story/61586.html?CMP=OTC-RSS

Mexico goalkeeper links up with Fulham

Mexican goalkeeper Guillermo Ochoa has travelled to London after receiving an invitation to train with Premier League side Fulham.

Ochoa was in Mexico's World Cup squad, but played second fiddle to the 37-year-old Oscar Perez. Now, the Club America goalkeeper could be set to earn himself a contract with the Cottagers, who have just signed up veteran Australian Mark Schwarzer to a new deal.

Club America are now waiting to see if the Cottagers want to start negotiations over a transfer for the 25-year-old.

"Our goalkeeper Guillermo Ochoa has travelled to London after accepting the invitation he has received from Fulham and the manager Mark Hughes," a club statement read. "Our club has been in touch all the time with Ochoa, who is enjoying his holidays, and that's why he has accepted the invitation he has received from Fulham.

"America will be aware of the results of this invitation and, in case there is a negotiation between both clubs, we will let the press know once they have finished.''

WhiteJC

http://www.safc.com/news/20101209/fan-panel-fulham-predictions_2256213_2236410?

Fan Panel: Fulham predictions
Our Fan Panel share their thoughts ahead of this weekend's action.

Ahead of Saturday's game against Fulham, our Fan Panel made up of three regular fan bloggers share their thoughts and predictions.

Name: Jon Guy
Prediction: 2-1 Sunderland
I fancy this as three points on the road as while Mark Hughes has his Fulham side organised they are finding goals hard to come by and are suffering a bit in terms of confidence.

Now our London hoodoo has been blown away at Stamford Bridge I think we have enough to continue to push on and a goal in either half will see us win the game.

The key will be John Mensah who will be the lynchpin at the back in the absence of Bramble and Turner.

It will also be a lot warmer by the Thames than last week's game so I am looking forward to another positive afternoon in West London.

Name: Jonathan Sager
The Lads travel to Craven Cottage for a match up against a Fulham side that has not won since October. And while the side does have talented players onboard, they sit just three points from the relegation zone.

One of the most notable players on the squad is Clint Dempsey, a fellow American, who has played extremely well for the Cottagers. He leads the team with 5 goals and 2 assists on the season.

We all know the roll that Sunderland is on though. There is no doubt that Steve Bruce has worked wonders with this team and the way they are playing, Europe truly is within the team's sights. The recent play of Jordan Henderson and Danny Welbeck certainly has given the manager and the fans plenty to dream about.

Hopefully we'll be dreaming again on Saturday evening.

Name: Mark Haldane

This is a crucial game for Sunderland. Another three points would leave us in a very nice position leading into the December/January fixture list. On our last visit to this part of London we produced probably our best performance in several years - with the unforgettable

3-0 trouncing of Chelsea. Here's hoping for a repeat!

Fulham, however, shouldn't be taken too lightly. They might be at the wrong end of the table but they still have many quality players.

Aussie Mark Schwarzer is one of the best shot-stoppers in the world - and in Pantsil, Hangeland, Murphy, Duff, Davies, Greening and several others - they have a squad which should really see them much higher up the Premier League table.
That said, I still think we should win - given the added confidence from a string of very good results (barring the Wolves 'blip').

It'll be a hard-fought victory but one which will set us up nicely for a push towards Europe!

Name: Chris Fryatt
Prediction: 1-1 Draw
Three points courtesy of a rare goal from Jordan Henderson on Sunday provided a much-needed boost following the disappointment at Molineux, but another nervy display won't fill many with confidence ahead of a tricky visit to Fulham this weekend.

It's surprising to see Mark Hughes's side struggling at the wrong end of the table but their performance against Arsenal showed they do have enough about them to turn things around (hopefully later rather than sooner).

As we know, Sunderland's re-shuffling due to various injury problems and loss of form has meant the side has looked disjointed at times - but the main thing is we are still scoring goals.

Hopefully, having Darren Bent, Asamoah Gyan and Danny Welbeck on the field we will continue to do so.

But it's the side's fear of losing goals - although we kept a clean sheet against West Ham - that is still a massive cause for concern and unfortunately I can see us conceding at the Cottage. The good news is, I can also see us scoring which should be enough to secure a useful draw.

WhiteJC

http://www.safc.com/news/20101209/hendersons-fulham-preview_2256213_2238887?

Henderson's Fulham preview
Jordan Henderson has fired a warning ahead of Saturday's game at Fulham

Sunderland midfielder Jordan Henderson says Saturday's opponents Fulham will take heart from their performance against Arsenal last time out.

Mark Hughes' Cottagers are hovering just above the relegation zone in the Barclays Premier League but gave leaders Arsenal a huge scare at the Emirates last weekend.

After falling behind to a Samir Nasri goal, Fulham roared back and missed a string of chances either side of Diomansy Kamara's equaliser.

They were made to pay as Nasri stroked home a second goal to hand Arsene Wenger's men all three points, but boss Hughes will nevertheless be encouraged by his team's display.

Sunderland, meanwhile, got back to winning ways following their disappointing defeat at Wolves by easing past a stubborn West Ham at the Stadium of Light.

Now a tough December programme continues with a trip to Craven Cottage, with Henderson warning the display at Arsenal could well give Saturday's opponents fresh impetus.

"Fulham are always a difficult side to play and we know it will be tough for us down there on Saturday," said the England international.

"They played really well at Arsenal and could have got something from the game. We know what to expect, but we think we have enough quality to go there and get a result.

"Fulham have traditionally been good at home but last weekend showed it doesn't matter where you play them.

"They are a good team with good players. We need to make sure we go there and get things right.

"Defensively we were good against West Ham and that will give the lads confidence going into the game."

WhiteJC

http://www.footballtransfertavern.com/2010/12/premiership/hodgeson-mcclaren-both-in-for-10m-premiership-star

HODGSON & MCCLAREN BOTH IN FOR £10M PREMIERSHIP STAR

Roy Hodgson may face a battle from Steve McClaren at Vfl Wolfsburg in his attempts to sign his former Fulham player, Clint Dempsey.

The former England boss has officially expressed interest in the creative midfielder and with Dzeko apparently out of the door, the money from his sale could be used to bring the American to the club for a fee of around £10m.

If McClaren were to make a move, it would certainly highten 'red alert' at Liverpool, where Roy Hodgson has been keeping tabs on his former players 'break-out season' at Fulham since the World Cup.

Although Dempsey is currently a fan's favourite at Craven Cottage, so would probably leave with a heavy heart. However, at 27, with the 'small family' club languishing at the wrong end of the Premiership table, it might be time to move on to have one final go at 'breaking' his career at a higher level.

With the choice between joining his former manager or joining the Bundesliga with most of his 'TEAM USA' teammates, it could spark a battle in negotiations between the two clubs to secure his signature.

So, will Clint go to Anfield...

Or go Deutsch?

WhiteJC

http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2010/December/JimmyConway.aspx?

Tribute Dinner

On the Wednesday 5th January, 2011 the Club are hosting a tribute dinner for Fulham Legend Jimmy Conway. Jimmy himself will be at the event as will the majority of the 1975 FA Cup team and other players from Jimmy's time at the Club.

Jimmy rarely gets over to the UK so don't miss this opportunity to spend an evening with him and a host of other Fulham legends. There will be opportunities to meet the players, take photographs and collect autographs.

Space is very limited so please order your ticket(s) as soon as possible to avoid missing out on what will be a fantastic evening.

Format Of The Event

7.00pm – Guest arrival to Craven Cottage Corporate Reception

7.30pm – Three course dinner to be served in the George Cohen Restaurant and Trophy Lounge with Champagne reception, wine and water

9.30pm – Speeches and Q&A in the McBride's Sports Bar

10.00pm – Auction/Raffle prizes to be drawn

10.40pm – Last orders at the bar

11.00pm – Guests Depart

Book your place today!

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2010/December/JimmyConway.aspx?#ixzz17caYMSjH

WhiteJC

http://blogs.soccernet.com/fulham/archives/2010/12/at_the_crossroads.php?

At The Crossroads
Posted by Phil Mison
With Christmas around the corner and just two league wins to our credit all season, Saturday's home game with Sunderland could be the tipping point in our campaign. Which way will it go?

The legend has it when Delta Blues legend Robert Johnson went down to the crossroads of highways 61 and 49 in Mississippi he traded his soul to the Devil in return for the musical gift of being the greatest blues performer of his generation.
Anything less than three points Saturday and Fulham fans world wide might be considering a similar pact. This is in many ways our biggest game of the season to date. Defeat will really set alarm bells ringing, while that desperately needed third win would ease the pain and move us away from the bottom three. A point gets us nowhere, and will not suffice.

Message boards and forums to my reading suggest 60/40 in support of the manager, but his followers diminish week on week. I do find the post match comments a tad trying, with 'positives' to be found from every reverse. Since our last decent performance against Wigan Hughes has been quick to say he's not worried by our form and that results will come as our big players return from injury. Er, AJ's back and has made no impact, BZ's still 10 weeks away.

Contrast that with Houllier's more honest assessment of Villa's position after their 3-0 reverse at Liverpool on Monday. The manager of the side one place above us - and two points better off - admits to being 'concerned.' Then recall how Villa's kids ouplayed us a month ago at our place.

From what I saw last Saturday the only 'positive' to take from the inevitable loss to Arsenal was damage limitation to our GD column. The Gunners could have been 3 up in 25 minutes. Stuttering as Arsenal currenty are, as with Chelsea, I always felt we were unlikely to offer enough ourselves going forward. We simply cannot expect to convert disciplined, hard-working efforts into wins on the back of one goal per game. This has been our problem all season. Why put in a solid shift at the Emirates yet play so feebly at places like West Brom?

The team does not yet have a 'relegation' look to it on the pitch. But morale must suffer when you find yourselves at the wrong end of the table. Schwarzer's decision to extend his contract tells me the internal mood at Motspur must still be OK and presumably he has been given assurances as to new player input come January. For the short term, anything less than 4 points from the home games with Sunderland and WHU - I assume another road loss at Liverpool - and MaF I sense may be handing the next transfer budget to a new man.

Enough of this negativity. Taking a leaf from Mark here's some positive Fulham stuff I've pulled together. Congrats to Brede for taking the Norwegian Footballer of the Year award. Bravo to our youth side under Kit Symonds for their thrilling 6-4 win over West Brom in the 4th round Youth Cup tie. Well done to Clint for his recent play at a time his wife welcomed a new baby into the Dempsey household, and a big shout out to the Australasian Whites for their giant new flag at the Emirates. Michiel Hageman from the Dutch supporters branch will be unveiling his own version at Liverpool next week.

Analysis of our opponents Saturday and the odds on a Fulham win to follow. Let me know where you stand on our current predicament, and where you see the goals coming from, 'cos right now I'm with Robert...singing the blues down at the crossroads.

HatterDon

Ah, a Robert Johnson link to Fulham.  :HD:

I remember a bit from the 60s [can't remember whose bit it was] that was a parody of Panorama looking into the popularity of American blues among young Brits -- like Clapton, John Mayall, etc. etc. It began something along the lines of: "The blues was developed by American negroes and was based on their experiences in slavery. It is not quite clear why the most pure form of this music tradition is practiced by young British homosexuals."

Huh? This was a football thread?
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel