Previous topic - Next topic

perry geyton

Quote from: Mince n Tatties on January 24, 2021, 08:58:33 PM
Quote from: perry geyton on January 24, 2021, 07:54:48 PM
Personally I'm not bothered
They should of cancelled the F All Cup this season anyway,

It's lost it's magic, it's all about the league these days
Last thing we need is injuries to important players

It has lost its magic because of fans like you who only care about the money machine that is the Premier...Sad.
OK yeah followed Fulham thick & thin through all The leagues since the 70's
Just feel the cups lost it's magic it has nothing to do with money

Things change

perry geyton

Quote from: Twig on January 24, 2021, 10:04:19 PM
Quote from: perry geyton on January 24, 2021, 07:54:48 PM
Personally I'm not bothered
They should of cancelled the F All Cup this season anyway,

It's lost it's magic, it's all about the league these days
Last thing we need is injuries to important players

Not for me it hasn't so speak for yourself

I was

St Eve

Quote from: Mince n Tatties on January 24, 2021, 09:00:53 PM
Quote from: St Eve on January 24, 2021, 08:08:22 PM
It's the oldest football competition in the world, about 150 years old. It still has its magic. Watching Chorley beat Leeds and Cheltenham scaring City. Seeing little Fulham getting to the final in 1975. We now treat it with disrespect and I find it upsetting.

Me too.
I remember when fans used to sit round their radios on Cup Draws days with excitement knowing their club was still in it.
yes the good old days.

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: St Eve on January 24, 2021, 11:10:53 PM
It's the oldest football competition in the world, about 150 years old. It still has its magic. Watching Chorley beat Leeds and Cheltenham scaring City. Seeing little Fulham getting to the final in 1975. We now treat it with disrespect and I find it upsetting.

Me too.
I remember when fans used to sit round their radios on Cup Draws days with excitement knowing their club was still in it.
yes the good old days.

Yes those days were magic.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

Arthur

Two prominent reasons why the F.A. Cup was a more important and magical competition 50-odd years ago: First, fewer clubs were caught up in the battles for promotion and relegation; second, only two club games a season were played at Wembley.

In the 1960's and 70's, by the time the 3rd Round of the Cup came around, many clubs' league season was already over - in the sense that they knew they couldn't get promoted (or win the old First Division) and they knew they wouldn't be relegated.

This was true of us at times in the 70's. Come January, we'd be mid-table, averaging around a point a game (back when it was 2 points for a win and there were no play-offs). We weren't going up; we weren't going down - which meant the remaining 20-or-so league matches were largely meaningless, save for winning the bragging rights in whichever was the key derby fixture that season.

Little wonder F.A. Cup ties were looked forward to so keenly: for lots of supporters, they were pretty much the only games in the second half of the season that had anything riding on them.

Added to this, opportunities to see one's team at Wembley were few. Actually. two-fold: the F.A. Cup Final or the League Cup Final. And rarity in football increases interest, just as in many other walks of life. Couple this with the fact that the F.A. Cup Final was one of only two club matches shown live on television (the European Cup Final being the other) and you had a game that football supporters of all teams looked forward to watching: the highest-profile game of the season.

As mid-table clubs' supporters' interest in league football now stretches far longer into the season due to the possibility of attaining a play-off place; with the number of ways to reach Wembley greater in number; and with club matches on television now being so commonplace, it was inevitable, I would say, that the F.A. Cup would lose some of its lustre and appeal.

FFC In Oz

It's the manner of defeat that stings.

We were played off the park by Burnley's second string. 

You'd take a 1-2 loss or something similar in an even game, but they dominated.

This kind of loss will impact morale in the whole dressing room, not just the guys that were involved.

blingo

Me too.

It is the best cup competition in the world. Over 600 clubs start out and every one of them gets a fair crack at it. It breeds life and much needed cash into smaller clubs, especially if they are lucky enough to get one of the BIG teams. The excitement of the draw has never left me and never will.
They would have been better off cancelling the league cup or whatever its called now.

Zoppa77

Thank you St Eve. My thought exactly (both posts). We have no right to treat this competition the way we have. Upon seeing team line up it was obvious that nothing good would eventuate in this game. There will be arguments for resting players, avoiding injury & having one eye on next PL game. Losing in the manner we did against a bang average team will do nothing for our team morale, individual player confidence or putting the slightest fear into our upcoming opponents. Lastly, I believe we the FFC supporters deserve better.