watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Another cup run dead

Started by St Eve, January 24, 2021, 06:02:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

St Eve

Expected nothing less. We just don't take the cup seriously and I for one am disgusted at this approach. Brighton is important, W Brom is important, every bloody game is important. Absolutely the wrong attitude. Great chance to move in the next round and on paper the round over that. Great chance to get a win and winning breeds confidence. Instead of that we play our reserve defence and everyone cricizes Ream and Hector. There's a reason why they are not in the first team. Then we see Mitro, for once, and expect him to be our savior alongside half a reserve team. All very unprofessional and very unfair to the supporters.

john dempsey

Whitestone

The fringe players are all part of the squad and train together day in day out. It's not as if they've been drafted in from the U23s or 18s. We played an under strength Burnley on our own patch. Many are not good enough for the Premier League but each and every one of those players today was capable of much more than they gave. It was a gutless performance devoid of any intensity and Mitro was one of the worst. So disappointing because I thought I saw glimpses of his old self in the cameo against Man U just four days ago. I was really looking forward to seeing a bit of the old Mitro today. Bitterly disappointing considering we had a decent draw awaiting in the next round.

Twig

Quote from: Whitestone on January 24, 2021, 06:22:51 PM
The fringe players are all part of the squad and train together day in day out. It's not as if they've been drafted in from the U23s or 18s. We played an under strength Burnley on our own patch. Many are not good enough for the Premier League but each and every one of those players today was capable of much more than they gave. It was a gutless performance devoid of any intensity and Mitro was one of the worst. So disappointing because I thought I saw glimpses of his old self in the cameo against Man U just four days ago. I was really looking forward to seeing a bit of the old Mitro today. Bitterly disappointing considering we had a decent draw awaiting in the next round.

This

HV71

Quote from: Twig on January 24, 2021, 06:25:56 PM
Quote from: Whitestone on January 24, 2021, 06:22:51 PM

This

Spot on

filham

When I saw the starting line up I thought we were up for this, surely those players were capable of getting a goal or two at the Cottage against a lowly Burnley team.
It was such a disappointing performance.

Arthur

Quote from: St Eve on January 24, 2021, 06:02:46 PM
Expected nothing less. We just don't take the cup seriously and I for one am disgusted at this approach. Brighton is important, W Brom is important, every bloody game is important. Absolutely the wrong attitude. Great chance to move in the next round and on paper the round over that. Great chance to get a win and winning breeds confidence. Instead of that we play our reserve defence and everyone cricizes Ream and Hector. There's a reason why they are not in the first team. Then we see Mitro, for once, and expect him to be our savior alongside half a reserve team. All very unprofessional and very unfair to the supporters.

I think this is a somewhat unfair assessment. With Kongolo side-lined once again, it is not inconceivable that two of our regular three backs could either suffer an injury or be suspended and then we are looking at Hector or Ream in the starting XI for a P.L. game. Most fringe players need some game time if they're to be ready should they be needed. Parker decided this was a suitable game. I don't blame him. What we saw, of course, only reinforces how dependent we are on not losing our regular starters at the back.

And yet the same could be said of Mitrovic. Given game time to help him sharpen up, his performance gives me no more confidence that he could step into our forward line successfully than could Hector or Ream at the back. It was the likes of Tosin, Anguissa and BDR who played alongside the reserves today. Mitrovic is one of those reserves who needed to impress and fell short with the others.

davew

Quote from: filham on January 24, 2021, 06:54:50 PM
When I saw the starting line up I thought we were up for this, surely those players were capable of getting a goal or two at the Cottage against a lowly Burnley team.
It was such a disappointing performance.
Exactly, but the usual suspects let us down again, they can't have many supporters left?
Grandson of a Former Director of FFC (served 1954 - 1968)

FFC1987

I don't see how we didn't take it seriously. I was having an argument pre and during the game with a gentlemen on the fact I thought we played some really important players including Anguissa and Tosin. The fact the players have shown themselves to be barely mid table championship standard at best says more about how fortunate we were last year with our squad and how much quality we added over the summer.

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: St Eve on January 24, 2021, 06:02:46 PM

Agree
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

bod

I was really disappointed with the performance today.
Centre backs were under pressure from the continuous long ball but were poor.
Mitro's body language showed that he is out of sorts for some reason.
We kept giving the ball away more than usual.
I literally switched off upon the pen award.
However, I understand the team switch for the FA Cup - sad to see in the modern game.
Now looking forward to next very crucial PL games which I expect the first team to win!

hopper

I think it was a real lesson in just how sharp the drop-off between the first team and second team is.

perry geyton

Personally I'm not bothered
They should of cancelled the F All Cup this season anyway,

It's lost it's magic, it's all about the league these days
Last thing we need is injuries to important players

St Eve

It's the oldest football competition in the world, about 150 years old. It still has its magic. Watching Chorley beat Leeds and Cheltenham scaring City. Seeing little Fulham getting to the final in 1975. We now treat it with disrespect and I find it upsetting.

Mince n Tatties

Quote from: perry geyton on January 24, 2021, 07:54:48 PM

It has lost its magic because of fans like you who only care about the money machine that is the Premier...Sad.

Mince n Tatties

Quote from: St Eve on January 24, 2021, 08:08:22 PM
It's the oldest football competition in the world, about 150 years old. It still has its magic. Watching Chorley beat Leeds and Cheltenham scaring City. Seeing little Fulham getting to the final in 1975. We now treat it with disrespect and I find it upsetting.

Me too.
I remember when fans used to sit round their radios on Cup Draws days with excitement knowing their club was still in it.

Mince n Tatties

Scotty is disappointed.
He has said,really wanted to do well in the
Cup,would have been another home draw next round and before you know where you are its the Quarter Finals.

70sPimlico

Quote from: Mince n Tatties on January 24, 2021, 09:00:53 PM

Me too.
I remember when fans used to sit round their radios on Cup Draws days with excitement knowing their club was still in it.
They still listen to the draw and watch it on TV & internet. You don't have to sit in your group looking at a tranny now. There are options.

Mince n Tatties

Quote from: 70sPimlico on January 24, 2021, 09:35:49 PM
Quote from: Mince n Tatties on January 24, 2021, 09:00:53 PM

Me too.
They still listen to the draw and watch it on TV & internet. You don't have to sit in your group looking at a tranny now. There are options.

Really I would never have known that.
I better get a telly and get on the internet as well🤔

Twig

Quote from: perry geyton on January 24, 2021, 07:54:48 PM

Not for me it hasn't so speak for yourself