more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Chelsea

Started by blingo, January 25, 2021, 01:55:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

70sPimlico

Come up a few times this.

It seems odd now but as a young kid in the manor, it definitely was a friendly relationship. Many of the older guys around went FFC this week, CFC next.

In my opinion, what happened was, for whatever reason, CFC grew support in areas like the medway towns. Lets not beat around the bush, we're talking hooligan support.

They would turn up to the cottage with no idea that most of us went to school with each other and want to kick the crap out if us.

I remember a game in the 80's. 8 of us went to a game at the cottage. 3 FFC & 5 CFC. All decided we would wear rosettes as a laugh. The 5 CFC were in the Riverside and some long-distance friendly hand waving banter was being had. A Chelsea fan in the Hammersmith took objection, had no idea we were all together and started on us. (To be clear, I was the youngster about 14) but the guys I was with were pretty tough. This idiot CFC fan wouldn't step down, threw a punch and got put on his arse. They both got arrested.
I remember afterwards being told that in the van this CFC looked up with bloody nose and just apologised for being a prat.

After this, it just went downhill. Lots of their fans are absolute scum.

But, most of my best old mates are CFC fans

Kimbleman

When I was a kid I went to the cottage with my Dad and my Uncle....always stood in the Putney end as that was where they had stood since before WW2!
Anyway growing up in Isleworth it was about 60-70% Chelsea and probably 25-30% Brentford.....with a few Fulham supporters.
So....carried on doing Fulham with my Dad and Uncle (plus their mates) and did plenty of matches in the Shed with my Chelsea mates. Never saw the problem. FFC obviously my team and the one which if we lose I go into depression (I've been a nightmare this season) but always had a soft spot for Chelsea (unless we are playing them). As others have said....know lots of Chelsea supporters and we all get on fine.

Woolly Mammoth

Mince please explain to me why you call your Garden Shed, "The Shed", which I am to understand is named after the old Chelsea Shed at the Bridge.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

Favershampaul

I went to st michaels in Pimlico 1972-75 and most of the kids were Chelsea we had a few Fulham fans .
Can remember going to the cottage one week and the bridge the next. You could rock up at ten to three guaranteed to get in . It was great seeing the likes of Liverpool ,Everton and the great Leeds side back then . Never wanted to follow Chelsea even though they had A good side Peter Osgood Alan Hudson & Charlie Cooke . Why wouldn't you want see players like that . Being a Fulham fan has never been for the glory always for the love. My favourite players Steve Earle and Les Barret,  they were my heroes . Got to really dislike Chelsea when Ken Bates got involved with them . As far as Lampard is concerned hope he does well in the future think he's a good bloke .

Mince n Tatties

Quote from: Twig on January 25, 2021, 04:51:21 PM
Quote from: Mince n Tatties on January 25, 2021, 03:51:27 PM
If you read the stuff on their forums when they play us..... Arrogant barstewards putting us down as little boys in the park,and amateur club and all that crap....Hate them with a passion.

You obviously didn't read their forum before our recent match.  They were pretty balanced and fair.  Plus, unlike on the Spuds forum, the language was quite restrained.

I get the dislike for the club because of the history of violence and racism during the 70's and 80's.  However, for me at least, it just doesn't mean they are all scum.

Twig they have more than one forum.
If you read some of the comments on others,it would shock you the bile they spit out about some of their own players,b because of their skin colour.
I'm proud that when I was younger, I had the pleasure of thumping a few of them....Scum

RaySmith

The hooligan problem began towards the end of the 60's, becoming  very bad in the 70's.

Chelsea definitely  had strong links with the Far Right, maybe still have - witness the fairly recent  case in France  re Chelsea away fans  a black man on the Metro, though still only a small minority of their fans. They were more successful than Fulham, with a bigger support, drawing fans from all over south London.

Fulham also had a very small minority of hooligans, but definitely  there's always been a different atmosphere at Fulham, to Chelsea.

Mince n Tatties

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on January 25, 2021, 06:50:28 PM
Mince please explain to me why you call your Garden Shed, "The Shed", which I am to understand is named after the old Chelsea Shed at the Bridge.

That's below the belt that is.
That's you off my Easter Egg gifts I was sending you.😎

SG

Hate is too strong a word but dislike for the team from the Dog Track sums my feelings perfectly. Dislike ever since Ken Bates arrived on the scene for them followed by Abramovich and the allegedly dodgy sources of his wealth. As for Fat Frank I really couldn't give a toss about him. Always likely to end in failure when a favourite son goes back to manage a club. No doubt he's laughing all the way to the bank.

mrmicawbers

If you lived in and around the SW postcodes you would have mates who were Chelsea fans.It was funny as I never liked Chelsea,but to be fair to them they always a soft spot for Fulham.Maybe that's why we were mates and they never fell into the sad Chelsea scum type.

Ronnief

I regularly see a Chelsea supporter walking his dog along the sea front. I always say good morning to him. Following the defeat by Chelsea I again saw him whilst I was walking with my wife. About 50 yards away from him I booed. Both my wife and I burst out laughing and were still doing so as we passed by. He had no idea.

Twig

Quote from: Mince n Tatties on January 25, 2021, 06:52:08 PM
Quote from: Twig on January 25, 2021, 04:51:21 PM
Quote from: Mince n Tatties on January 25, 2021, 03:51:27 PM
If you read the stuff on their forums when they play us..... Arrogant barstewards putting us down as little boys in the park,and amateur club and all that crap....Hate them with a passion.

You obviously didn't read their forum before our recent match.  They were pretty balanced and fair.  Plus, unlike on the Spuds forum, the language was quite restrained.

I get the dislike for the club because of the history of violence and racism during the 70's and 80's.  However, for me at least, it just doesn't mean they are all scum.

Twig they have more than one forum.
If you read some of the comments on others,it would shock you the bile they spit out about some of their own players,b because of their skin colour.
I'm proud that when I was younger, I had the pleasure of thumping a few of them....Scum

Ok, admittedly I only read the forum with the link posted on here. Sadly I guess I'm not totally surprised.

Bassey the warrior

Quote from: FFC In Oz on January 25, 2021, 02:17:25 PM
Whatever your feelings on Chelsea, I think most of us will agree that Frank has been very harshly treated.

It was fairly evident that he was taking on a rebuilding job, and though he spent a load of cash in the summer, it was always going to take a little bit of time for all the players to gel and him to find the right combination.

The fact that Tuchel was announced on the same day shows that Roman & co have been plotting this for a while.

In some ways he has but I read a good article on The Athletic that talked about some of the issues that came up. The main one isn't results,  it's man management. Allegedly he's very bad at communicating with his players and very clearly has favourites, and he has now lost the dressing room. Secondly is tactics, he doesn't give the team clear structure, more a case of saying you're a good player, go out and express yourself. At this level that just won't do.

He deserves a lot of credit for bringing through Mount, James and to a lesser extent Abraham, with Gilmour an exciting prospect. However that isn't enough for a team wanting to win the title.

I do think he'll turn out to be a good manager, he just needs to find the right club to continue to develop.

Southdowns White

I grew up in Fulham, went to school virtually next door to the Dog track, most people locally understood the rivalry and most of it was pretty harmless, you couldn't really grow up without knowing their supporters as a child. One difference though was I actually attended games every week and the vast majority of so called C fans at school never ever went to watch them play, they still came in on the Monday giving it the Billy big balls. On match days though there was a really nasty atmosphere coming from their over arrogant, aggressive fans, I do remember Fulham supporters old and young being punched and kicked by a group of their so called supporters in a road walking away from the cottage.
Now I live in West Sussex and there are so called C supporters everywhere, If they are on TV and you visit the local Cricket or football clubs they will be in their with the swagger and arrogance, I doubt whether half of them have ever been to the ground. Having been closely associated with various football related interests, Playing and coaching youngsters I have met quite a few of their so called supporters who know nothing of any rivalry with Fulham as none of them have lived anywhere near the area, maybe this explains their aggression back in the 70s and 80s and why they didn't understand that the locals all knew each other, Living, going to school and working together.
I still have a real dislike of anything to do with that club and revel in a bit of schadenfreude anytime they lose or sack another manager.

jarv

When I moved to Southfields, about age 12, I went to Fulham and Chelsea, often on my own. I instantly became a Johnny Haynes fan and Fulham stuck. Supporters were friendly and always helped to get a small lad like me to the front.

Chelsea, the 2nd time there, I witnessed an assault very close to me. Quite a frightening experience. The supporters as a bunch were a bit nasty so I stopped going there. Fast forward to adult age I decided to go to the Bridge to watch Fulham. (G. Best was playing). Not enough turnstiles open, mad crush to get in and missed about 20 minutes of the game. Overcrowded and in the 2nd half, Mr. Best did not reappear. They had kicked the crap out of him in the first half.

A horrible experience, never to be repeated because I have never set foot in the place since. I dont "hate" Chelsea, just have no desire to spend any time or money there. They have had many good players down the years and I can watch them on tv if I wish to.

Stevieboy

In the days of pay on the gate and actually being able to get the money from my Dad to go to two or three games a week. Fulham through and through but always went to 'ski midweek for something to do. Was the 70s, still had the dog track and the Tote thingy at one end, actually watched Man.Utd game there before we were turfed out....ended up watching from on the old new stand roof.....great days when the price of a game wasn't prohibitive.
Despite watching the whole Fairs Cup run and final and seeing Div.One teams I never ever had the slightest attraction to actually supporting 'ski but did take great delight when they lost !!

blingo

Quote from: Southdowns White on January 27, 2021, 09:12:19 AM
I grew up in Fulham, went to school virtually next door to the Dog track, most people locally understood the rivalry and most of it was pretty harmless, you couldn't really grow up without knowing their supporters as a child. One difference though was I actually attended games every week and the vast majority of so called C fans at school never ever went to watch them play, they still came in on the Monday giving it the Billy big balls. On match days though there was a really nasty atmosphere coming from their over arrogant, aggressive fans, I do remember Fulham supporters old and young being punched and kicked by a group of their so called supporters in a road walking away from the cottage.
Now I live in West Sussex and there are so called C supporters everywhere, If they are on TV and you visit the local Cricket or football clubs they will be in their with the swagger and arrogance, I doubt whether half of them have ever been to the ground. Having been closely associated with various football related interests, Playing and coaching youngsters I have met quite a few of their so called supporters who know nothing of any rivalry with Fulham as none of them have lived anywhere near the area, maybe this explains their aggression back in the 70s and 80s and why they didn't understand that the locals all knew each other, Living, going to school and working together.
I still have a real dislike of anything to do with that club and revel in a bit of schadenfreude anytime they lose or sack another manager.

Did you go to sloane?