watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Luck, it’s got to change

Started by FulhamStu, January 31, 2021, 02:51:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FulhamStu

I know the saying is you make your own luck and I agree with that, the more I practice the luckier I get etc etc etc. 

Yesterday, we completely dominate the game first half, have 8 efforts, hit the post, possible pen, but only score 1 goal which I agree is to some extend down to our inability to finish, but even 2nd half we created chances and Mitro header from the corner was excellent, just the keeper guess correctly and saved, nothing wrong with the header at all.  Then look at WBA 2 goals, both helped by deflections and whilst again, we could have defended better if we had that sort of luck we would have scored 5 or 6.

Slaphead in Qatar

We just don't have the bottle when it matters. It stems from not having the confidence that we will survive and this stems from our bad start to the season which put us on the back foot and made every subsequent game a high pressure affair.

What happened in the second half I predicted at half time to be honest. I knew when we missed those chances that it would either be a draw or a loss. We just don't have it in us to go that extra mile and win a game.

colinwhite

ron

And we're short on focus if the amount of times  we concede within minutes of the start of a half is considered. The half should start in the dressing room - not when we've realised there's no cover at the back after two minutes.

WindyCity

Quote from: FulhamStu on January 31, 2021, 02:51:50 PM
the more I practice the luckier I get

I've always kind of believed in that saying.  But I do suspect FFC is practicing at max level.  Ultimately, luck has got nothing to do with it, really.  So it boils down to more than just practice, it takes non-stop hard work and taking nothing for granted (like a great 1st half of football v WBA).  The boys are gonna have to suck it up and play 90 minutes hard and disciplined.  Just one error, one lack of full effort can cost you in this league. 

Stoneleigh Loyalist

The only thing that is missing is the 100% commitment to fighting which comes with players who are  part of the club rather than mercenaries brought in to help us.

filham

I wouldn't say we were unlucky yesterday but rather we were taught a hard lesson by an experienced manager and his players.
Our first half play was brilliant but we displayed overconfidence and lacked the killer instinct, we had chances to put the game to bed at an early stage. Then we were unprepared for a team that had been fired up by Big Sam at half time.

However we have fight and we had to show this before the end of the match to salvage a point.

FFC1987

Luck or just lack of quality when it comes to the finer margins? I think lack of quality unfortunately.

Jim©

Quote from: filham on January 31, 2021, 05:05:27 PM
I wouldn't say we were unlucky yesterday but rather we were taught a hard lesson by an experienced manager and his players.
Our first half play was brilliant but we displayed overconfidence and lacked the killer instinct, we had chances to put the game to bed at an early stage. Then we were unprepared for a team that had been fired up by Big Sam at half time.

However we have fight and we had to show this before the end of the match to salvage a point.

I'd say the deflection on the cross for the first was unlucky and olas toe to the ball taking it over areola were unlucky. W brom had three shots on target all game. That is unlucky.

Statto

Quote from: Slaphead in Qatar on January 31, 2021, 03:24:48 PM
We just don't have the bottle when it matters. It stems from not having the confidence that we will survive and this stems from our bad start to the season which put us on the back foot and made every subsequent game a high pressure affair.

What happened in the second half I predicted at half time to be honest. I knew when we missed those chances that it would either be a draw or a loss. We just don't have it in us to go that extra mile and win a game.

I'm certain our league position belies our quality, and inclined to agree with the OP that we haven't had the rub of the green. But I do think a lot of the "bad luck" could be derived from what you describe here, and you've summarised it perfectly.

Whatever it is exactly, it's bloody frustrating that it'll probably be the difference between keeping hold of some really good finds like Areola and Anderson, and another Championship rebuild..

FFC In Oz

Yes, we've had some bad luck, but EVERY team gets some bad luck at times.

It's about our lack of quality depth and our lack of killer instinct.  When we are having good spells in games we can't put it on the scoreboard.  With every missed opportunity it gives the opposition that little bit more confidence that they're still in the game.

Good sides know how to finish off their opponents, we can't

Bill2

As in the words of the song. If it wasn't for bad luck we would have no luck at all.

JoelH5

Luck doesn't exist. If we were defending properly, WBA wouldn't have been near our goal and had the chance to get the deflections. If you are unlucky week in week out, it isn't luck.

I really hate the luck argument as it lets the team off the hook. It isn't luck, its performance.
I was there, standing in the Putney end

abfg

I don't really buy it. There are elements of luck - but not to the extent of changing a season by the 7 points currently needed.

West Brom have signed a centre forward on loan, and on the verge of a couple more signings, if the rumours are to be believed. Brighton have 4 centre forwards (yes, Welbeck was a punt, but an educated one). Burnley have 4 forwards. Newcastle have 4 centre forwards. Wolves are lacking, so they went out and signed one on loan. Palace have 3 + Zaha. It's not difficult to see what our undoing has been. That and penalties!

It's a shame really, if an unexpected Hangeland equivalent ability/impact centre forward joins today, we still have a chance.

JoelH5

Quote from: abfg on February 01, 2021, 12:55:01 PM
I don't really buy it. There are elements of luck - but not to the extent of changing a season by the 7 points currently needed.

West Brom have signed a centre forward on loan, and on the verge of a couple more signings, if the rumours are to be believed. Brighton have 4 centre forwards (yes, Welbeck was a punt, but an educated one). Burnley have 4 forwards. Newcastle have 4 centre forwards. Wolves are lacking, so they went out and signed one on loan. Palace have 3 + Zaha. It's not difficult to see what our undoing has been. That and penalties!

It's a shame really, if an unexpected Hangeland equivalent ability/impact centre forward joins today, we still have a chance.

Let's be honest, the season is in Maja's hands. At least we have someone to take a punt on. It's unlikely to save us but, it gives us a chance.
I was there, standing in the Putney end