watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Hodgson's dodgy deals

Started by BalDrick, December 10, 2010, 06:25:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BalDrick

I was thinking the other day, while walking the dog (where my best thoughts happen), that Hodgson signing Senderos, in hindsight knowing he was off to Scouse land, is a tad dodgy really isn't it? The player was out of contract (actually he was injured not long after, meaning he'd have been unpaid all this time, though we can't claim Hodgson knew that!), so really it was a bit jobs-for-the-boys wasn't it?

Then you've got some of the other players he signed but almost never played. I saw Elm once or twice (more than enough), but to this day I have no idea what Stoor even looks like. There were a few others too weren't there?
Cigarettes and women be the death of me, better that than this old town

White Noise

Elm getting a new 2 year contract was the sort of thing you would have thought would have had MAF back in Tigana-land.

As for Litmanen - more injuries in 4 months than any man who has even played the game. Still it got him back to a level where he could play again for someone else.

CULTUREVULTURE

The problem is that a manager like Hodgson at a club like Fulham was always going to have his hands tied. Money was available for big purchases of players that would go straight into the first team eg Hangeland, Zamora and Johnson. But a club like Fulham can't afford to pay big money for squad players. I suspect that Senderos was signed as cover for Hughes and Hangeland. Same with Stoor - a cheap signing that could sit in the reserves.

Burt

Only time I saw Stoor play was in a pre-season friendly v. Birmingham before the 2009-10 season. I think he was a 2nd half sub, and didn't really impress.

That said, it was also the first time I saw Pants too, and he didn't impress either, but fortunately he has stepped up to the mark.

CULTUREVULTURE

Quote from: Burt on December 10, 2010, 06:35:06 PM
Only time I saw Stoor play was in a pre-season friendly v. Birmingham before the 2009-10 season. I think he was a 2nd half sub, and didn't really impress.

That said, it was also the first time I saw Pants too, and he didn't impress either, but fortunately he has stepped up to the mark.

Played up at Kerrering and also at Arsenal just before the Europa final.

finnster01

Quote from: CULTUREVULTURE on December 10, 2010, 06:31:42 PM
The problem is that a manager like Hodgson at a club like Fulham was always going to have his hands tied. Money was available for big purchases of players that would go straight into the first team eg Hangeland, Zamora and Johnson. But a club like Fulham can't afford to pay big money for squad players. I suspect that Senderos was signed as cover for Hughes and Hangeland. Same with Stoor - a cheap signing that could sit in the reserves.
I wouldn't exactly call two and a half million for Hangeland big money. Big piece of business that was for us. Now some of the other todgers he bought is a whole another story.
If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you are most likely dead

Blingo

Are you forgetting what we got for Smalling?  :drums:

SmithyFFC

Andranik, Stoor, EJ, Elm, Riise, Dikagcoi, how many games in total have/did all these guys play for us?
FTID

finnster01

Quote from: Blingo on December 10, 2010, 06:50:57 PM
Are you forgetting what we got for Smalling?  :drums:
Very good point, and to answer your question: Yes I have :030:

CULTUREVULTURE

Quote from: finnster01 on December 10, 2010, 06:44:02 PM
Quote from: CULTUREVULTURE on December 10, 2010, 06:31:42 PM
I wouldn't exactly call two and a half million for Hangeland big money. Big piece of business that was for us. Now some of the other todgers he bought is a whole another story.

No, it's not big money but it would be a huge amount just for a squad player.

finnster01

Quote from: FulhamFan2 on December 10, 2010, 06:52:49 PM
Andranik, Stoor, EJ, Elm, Riise, Dikagcoi, how many games in total have/did all these guys play for us?
You left out Jari "Iron Man" Litmanen and his country man Kallio.

RidgeRider

Thing is, as CultureVulture rightly points out, those guys were all squad player signings, all reasonably cheap except EJ which was not a Hodgson signing as he was already on his way before Hodgson took over.

Senderos I think was a signing Hodgson would have wanted had he stayed which was always possible at the time he bought, probably just covering his bases as he was waiting for the LPool offer.

Hodgson bad signings were AJ and Greening, though both players have been useful at times, not worth what we paid for them given their contribution. Greening has not been bad, but his transfer fee was a tad high I think.

ron

I just wonder what the mind set is of players who are signed as squad players, and after a time realise that they don't feature in the gaffer's plans as being regular contributors.
It strikes me that if a player has any fire in him then he won't want to stick around and pick up wages for playing in the reserves.If he does, then he has sold his short career for cash rather than achievement, and then the club is carrying deadwood...... No names, no pack drill....

finnster01

I think they basically come in 3 kinds:
1) The ones that grab the opportunity and fight their way into the team: Pantsil and Baird
2) The ones that is just that, squad players, and knows it: Most of them
3) The ones that just collect a wage and is happy with it: Stoor, Riise and Elm

SmithyFFC

Quote from: finnster01 on December 10, 2010, 06:56:11 PM
You left out Jari "Iron Man" Litmanen and his country man Kallio.

Not at all, I just struggle to believe that either of those two men exist.
FTID

Burt

Quote from: finnster01 on December 10, 2010, 07:18:35 PM
I think they basically come in 3 kinds:
1) The ones that grab the opportunity and fight their way into the team: Pantsil and Baird
2) The ones that is just that, squad players, and knows it: Most of them
3) The ones that just collect a wage and is happy with it: Stoor, Riise and Elm

Good summary.

I am still waiting for the younger things to bubble up in to the main squad - either the home grown ones or ones like Della Doodar that we got from Liverpool in return for Konch going the other way.