Main Menu

Chelsea's head of transfers

Started by 70sPimlico, February 05, 2021, 11:53:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

70sPimlico

Quote from: Mitrovic the warrior on February 06, 2021, 08:35:28 AM
Quote from: 70sPimlico on February 05, 2021, 11:53:01 AM
Just to put t out there again.

Really aimed at those who think our DoF has no history in football and no other club would do that.

I thought I'd look at our closest neighbours and guess what?

Not only is there no history of football (or sport), also no history of UK, being Russian-Canadian but even worse, its a WOMAN!!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marina_Granovskaia

What's wrong with being a woman or do you think women have no place in football?

Note to self. "Make my irony a little clearer on FoF"

70sPimlico

Quote from: john dempsey on February 06, 2021, 09:51:44 AM
Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on February 05, 2021, 08:21:57 PM
Not at all, of course nobody is a pleb and I hope you can agree. I feel you need to read my post again and take it in, it's a turn of phrase and I never wrote that anyone who disagrees with me is one but you did say that, so you may have misunderstood. That's putting words into my mouth, but despite that I forgive you. I hope I answered your questions correctly and satisfied your inquisitive mind with regards to the owners sons premises. 
But going back to the initial subject at the beginning, I am glad you have eventually agreed with me that a new D of F who has the qualifications I mentioned is the way forward.
I could never ever agree with your views on TK. after
some of the toe rags that have been custodians of this club
TK. heart is imo.in the right place.
i just wonder what carnage you would heap on TK.
if he was DOF. on john arne riise/john carew transfer deals. that would give you a field day..
You know, its weird. On here and TFI previously, Ali Mac and Mike Rigg used to get far more stick than the coach. Some seem very focused on the "men upstairs".

I only made the original post as a alternative view to those who kept saying that he had no history in football and/or the UK.

For what its worth, taking into account ply offs & covid and having 4 weeks to set up the squad, I think we have about the best squad we could hope for.

I happen to think, player for player we should be a mid/lower mid table team. We should have had a fighting chance to stay up.Throw in covid and some dodgy ref decisions and more importantly, recent tactical decisions on pitch have pretty much consigned us to relegation, bar a great escape type fight.

Win today and...well, who knows

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: john dempsey on February 06, 2021, 09:51:44 AM
Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on February 05, 2021, 08:21:57 PM
Not at all, of course nobody is a pleb and I hope you can agree. I feel you need to read my post again and take it in, it's a turn of phrase and I never wrote that anyone who disagrees with me is one but you did say that, so you may have misunderstood. That's putting words into my mouth, but despite that I forgive you. I hope I answered your questions correctly and satisfied your inquisitive mind with regards to the owners sons premises. 
But going back to the initial subject at the beginning, I am glad you have eventually agreed with me that a new D of F who has the qualifications I mentioned is the way forward.
I could never ever agree with your views on TK. after
some of the toe rags that have been custodians of this club
TK. heart is imo.in the right place.
i just wonder what carnage you would heap on TK.
if he was DOF. on john arne riise/john carew transfer deals. that would give you a field day..

You cannot excuse the short comings of TK because of the previous antics of others, that is fools gold.
I completely disagree with you that he has his heart in the right place, far from it, his negligence of Fulham proves that, as does appointing his best mate CK and covering up for him when CK was creating his own mischief at Fulham, until CK fell on his own sword, which is not the signs of someone whose heart is in the right place for Fulham FC
My heart is in the right place that is why I would like him
replaced.
Further carnage on the owners son will continue whilst he neglects his duties and treats Fulham FC as an after thought.

Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

toshes mate

All of us start life with very little knowledge other than the essentials of survival.  We certainly have no knowledge of taking part in sport, playing a musical instrument, of writing a novel, of painting a picture, or making something until we try.  Trying something does not guarantee mastery of it or even modest success at it.  In fact trying something once often makes you think twice about it.   And none of this is gender specific or generally governed by other genetic characteristics (although having rich parents may, superficially, seem to help). 

The key to comparison comes when you look beneath the superficial and that depends entirely on your personal ability to do so.   I'll repeat my earlier comment.  Any attempt to compare Marina Granovskaia and Tony Khan is laughable unless the OP wishes to advise us where he believes grounds for a realistic comparison exist.   

Slaphead in Qatar

Quote from: I Ronic on February 06, 2021, 10:04:07 AM
Why does a DoF have to concentrate 100% on one club? In the wider world there are directors who hold posts in several companies. Yes there's a personal financial bonus to that but there is also a greater knowledge of business, a better skill set and greater experience. From his first purchase Mitroglou his transfers have got better and better. Personally I think we're better off with what we have.

Directors who hold positions in other companies are usually non executive Directors who oversee and advise the full time directors. DOF is really a key position and so needs a full time person

john dempsey

I think  TK. has brought in some very good players this season much better than our last season in the prem.
so it would appear he is learning.
the problem for me is that Parker is having trouble forming them into a TEAM.
we have seen glimpses of what could be achieved if Parker could find some consistency,
( west brom 1st half and then total shambles 2nd half)
so as i said last time i could never ever agree with your view on TK.

Logicalman

Quote from: john dempsey on February 06, 2021, 12:08:15 PM
I think  TK. has brought in some very good players this season much better than our last season in the prem.
so it would appear he is learning.
the problem for me is that Parker is having trouble forming them into a TEAM.
we have seen glimpses of what could be achieved if Parker could find some consistency,
( west brom 1st half and then total shambles 2nd half)
so as i said last time i could never ever agree with your view on TK.

You've hit the nail on the head here, sir.
A DoF could assemble the best players in the world, but whether they are able to be assembled into a cohesive unit, and whether there is a coach who can do that, is a the real issue.

At the moment we do not have that at Fulham, that is not to say each man cannot do their job, it just seems they are not working as a team to assemble the, ahem, right Team.

I've always believed it takes three people at the club to get the right players in: The scout, who understands how the coach works and can spot a good player; The Coach, who knows what he needs and can agree or disagree with the scout as to whether a certain player would fit into his plans; The DoF who takes care of the negotiations and clubs finances, but has nothing whatsoever to do with the scouting or decision-making as to whether the player would be right for the club.

It appears we have a DoF who has relied in the past on a stats man to scout players, and has now taken on that mantle himself and a coach who appears to be unable/unwilling to tell the DoF to do his own job, and therefore has to try and fit whomever the Dof buys into his team, and the scout? Who?
Logical is just in the name - don't expect it has anything to do with my thought process, because I AM the man who sold the world.

RaySmith

It's supposed to be a team that works on transfers,  Brian Talbot is one, his son? the names can  be found on the Fulham site i think, and there is a  3 tick method, involving stats and conventional scouting  - harder in these times - for each player.

I thought that TK just heads the team, but obviously he or his father  have to sign off spending for transfers, which is supposedly  hampered by FFP - why would he lie about this?

Big teams, with far bigger crowds and a far bigger income, don't have the same FFP constraints as Fulham as i understand it, and thus  it must be much easier being in charge of transfers, when you can just identify a player, who will be keen to come to the club, unlike is often the  case for Fulham, and pay the asking price.

I think Scott had done very well to meld this group of players into a team, with such short notice, though although we got in essential defenders, after the season has already begun, and results were awful - but there was little tine between gaining promotion and the season's start, we are still short of quality players, especially  ones who can score..

Yes, we have quality players, but they are mostly quite young and inexperienced, and i think Scott has done very well with them in so short a time.
I do think we've been unlucky this season with crucial ref decisions, and just not taking  chances to  finish  opponents off. We haven't had the rub of the green, though i know people will say you make your own luck.

But those crucial lost points could really have  helped our league  position, and have given us confidence.

But it's still too soon to give up. In fact, we, manager, and team obviously, but also fans, should never give up until relegation is a certainty. There could be twists and turns along the way yet.

Never give up, until the situation is definitely impossible to change.

My opinion anyway.
COYW!!!

Statto

I've no problem attributing some blame to Parker and others besides TK.

FWIW I agree with the post above that our squad has the quality to be lower mid-table, and IMO the blame for not achieving that is attributable 50% to TK, whose failure to get a CB in for the start of the season cost us around 4 pts, and 50% to Parker, whose poor tactical decisions have cost us around the same, another 4 pts.

The thing is, we've been here before, and SK has sacked six managers already. So it's about time he started looking at the DOF.

rogerpbackinMidEastUS

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on February 05, 2021, 12:32:27 PM
A woman you say, no history of sport you say, no history of football in England you say, and she is Russian - Canadian you say.
I would still swap her for Fulham's current D of F quicker than the very short time it would take me to drink a yard of the finest English Ale 🍺🍺🍺🍺🍺🍺🍺🍺🍺🍺

Only because you have a fetish for much older women.
I remember once you told me about your secret crush on Margaret Thatcher.
I Also remember your dreams about Joan Bakewell (the thinking mans crumpet)
but then who of us in our age group didn't  ?

Apologies to Mrs Mammoth
VERY DAFT AND A LOT DAFTER THAN I SEEM, SOMETIMES

Dr Quinzel

What on Earth is this thread? The two and their roles within the two clubs aren't comparable. And then as for some of the responses? Crikey.

rogerpbackinMidEastUS

Quote from: Dr Quinzel on February 06, 2021, 03:05:24 PM
What on Earth is this thread? The two and their roles within the two clubs aren't comparable. And then as for some of the responses? Crikey.

Just a bit of fun banter between 2 old "friends"
With so much gloom on this board, it's harmless
VERY DAFT AND A LOT DAFTER THAN I SEEM, SOMETIMES

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: rogerpbackinMidEastUS on February 06, 2021, 03:04:51 PM
Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on February 05, 2021, 12:32:27 PM
A woman you say, no history of sport you say, no history of football in England you say, and she is Russian - Canadian you say.
I would still swap her for Fulham's current D of F quicker than the very short time it would take me to drink a yard of the finest English Ale 🍺🍺🍺🍺🍺🍺🍺🍺🍺🍺

Only because you have a fetish for much older women.
I remember once you told me about your secret crush on Margaret Thatcher.
I Also remember your dreams about Joan Bakewell (the thinking mans crumpet)
but then who of us in our age group didn't  ?

Apologies to Mrs Mammoth

Yes Roger those were the days, please don't tell Mrs Mammoth.
I still have a twinkle in my eye for ...... I can't remember her name but she owned a couple of very nice puppies.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.