watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Old Sod's Army-Reflecting

Started by bog, February 05, 2021, 03:55:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bog

From 1959 until 1968 when in the top flight for the second time a lot of those seasons FFC had a tradition of surviving when all looked lost. One season we lost 11 in a row but, until 68, we always managed to pull clear right at the end to annoy the experts. Us supporters we always felt we would survive. I hope that tradition will be maintained this season.   :54: 049:gif (forever whatever)

092.gif   

Cambridge Pete

Started going in 58 and remember those years fondly. Apart from a couple of Cup runs there was little to celebrate, but loved it. Puts the current situation in perspective. Thanks for the reminder

RaySmith

Quote from: bog on February 05, 2021, 03:55:57 PM
From 1959 until 1968 when in the top flight for the second time a lot of those seasons FFC had a tradition of surviving when all looked lost. One season we lost 11 in a row but, until 68, we always managed to pull clear right at the end to annoy the experts. Us supporters we always felt we would survive. I hope that tradition will be maintained this season.   :54: 049:gif (forever whatever)

092.gif   

0001.jpeg

bog

One of my best memories was at  Northampton at the end of the 1965/6. It was the biggest crowd at their old ground. I thought they were being offensive as they kept chanting Cobblers! Cobblers! We had to win, and we did. It was mayhem when right the end we broke away and Steve Earle competed his hattrick in a 2-4 win.  :clap_hands: What a drive home that was.  049:gif Great times indeed.

092.gif 

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: bog on February 05, 2021, 04:17:00 PM
One of my best memories was at  Northampton at the end of the 1965/6. It was the biggest crowd at their old ground. I thought they were being offensive as they kept chanting Cobblers! Cobblers! We had to win, and we did. It was mayhem when right the end we broke away and Steve Earle competed his hattrick in a 2-4 win.  :clap_hands: What a drive home that was.  049:gif Great times indeed.

092.gif 

Yes Bog I remember that season and I was at Northampton also that day, I don't know who wrote the script but it was unbelievable, I will never forget it, and the Earle of Fulham was written in Fulham folk law.
That season 1965/66 was the real genuine great escape, and if the mighty Fulham can do it then, and it was a lot harder because we had less matches left to play and nobody expected Fulham to go on that unbeaten run which I think was started at home to Sunderland who we beat 2 0.
So there is no reason why it cannot be repeated this season.
Scott Parker will not give up, the team will not give up, and neither will we, NEVER SURRENDER.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

FulhamStu

I first went early mid 1960's.   We were top division but somehow I felt we were less likely to succeed than now, little or no money, joke of a chairman,sold Clarke/Marsh/MCDonald and many more often for peanuts, funnily enough my favourite days were Conway Earle Barrett days in the lower divs but that was probably due to my age, hated QPR being so good whilst were not very good. I know it's currently tough but Fulham are a much better run club.

filham

Quote from: bog on February 05, 2021, 04:17:00 PM

092.gif 
Yes remember that match and the journey home. Stopped for a pee on an MI service station and had a quick word with Bobby Robson who was using an adjacent urinal.

Also worth mentioning that over that period Beddy Jezzard ,an ex player, was our manager. I challenge any  one to name a better Fulham manager than the unsung Beddy.

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: FulhamStu on February 05, 2021, 04:34:34 PM
I first went early mid 1960's.   We were top division but somehow I felt we were less likely to succeed than now, little or no money, joke of a chairman,sold Clarke/Marsh/MCDonald and many more often for peanuts, funnily enough my favourite days were Conway Earle Barrett days in the lower divs but that was probably due to my age, hated QPR being so good whilst were not very good. I know it's currently tough but Fulham are a much better run club.

I agree with you regarding the days of Steve Earle, Jimmy Conway, Les Barrett, Barry Lloyd, Vic Halom, Paul Went, Fred Callaghan. We were scoring goals for fun. That midweek game on the Wednesday when we went up to Halifax Town, and won 8 2, and then on the following Saturday we went to Stockport County and won 4 1, what a season that was.

Never forget your Roots.

bog

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on February 05, 2021, 05:02:29 PM

I agree with you regarding the days of Steve Earle, Jimmy Conway, Les Barrett, Barry Lloyd, Vic Halom, Paul Went, Fred Callaghan. We were scoring goals for fun. That midweek game on the Wednesday when we went up to Halifax Town, and won 8 2, and then on the following Saturday we went to Stockport County and won 4 1, what a season that was.

Sorry to be pedantic Woolly but it was actually 0-8 Steve got 5.  Did you go to that one? I was at the Stockport game and I kid yee not but for Alan Ogley in their goal it would have been another 8.   

Enfield

ok while we're reflecting does anyone else remember this, in the early 70's , away to oxford in the cup.
Walking up to the ground you could hear music, like a disco. When we got into the ground there was a group on the pitch playing, It was ACE , live, presenting " How long has this been going on ".
Great preamble to the game.

Managed to scramble a draw. On the drive back stopped at the first pub, Bill Dodgin and the lads were already
in the bar !

blingo

Quote from: bog on February 05, 2021, 09:22:13 PM

Sorry to be pedantic Woolly but it was actually 0-8 Steve got 5.  Did you go to that one? I was at the Stockport game and I kid yee not but for Alan Ogley in their goal it would have been another 8. 

Our goalie wasnt too bad either lol

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: bog on February 05, 2021, 09:22:13 PM

Thanks for correcting me Bog and of course you are right 8 0 it was and the Steve Earle fifer, the memory fades.
No unfortunately I did not go to the Shay at Halifax or Stockport as at the time I was in the Fire Brigade and my shift pattern prevented me so I had to be on duty when those games were played, but I thought that was a very enjoyable season.

Never forget your Roots.

Dr Know

Quote from: Enfield on February 05, 2021, 09:49:18 PM
ok while we're reflecting does anyone else remember this, in the early 70's , away to oxford in the cup.
Walking up to the ground you could hear music, like a disco. When we got into the ground there was a group on the pitch playing, It was ACE , live, presenting " How long has this been going on ".

Managed to scramble a draw. On the drive back stopped at the first pub, Bill Dodgin and the lads were already
in the bar !
I was there , remember copies of the single being thrown into the crowd , don't think health and safety was around then , lol , but I thought it was the league game on a Saturday , October 1974 , I might be wrong though , can anyone on here confirm the date / game ?

bog

Quote from: Dr Know on February 06, 2021, 09:40:40 AM
Quote from: Enfield on February 05, 2021, 09:49:18 PM

in the bar !
I was there , remember copies of the single being thrown into the crowd , don't think health and safety was around then , lol , but I thought it was the league game on a Saturday , October 1974 , I might be wrong though , can anyone on here confirm the date / game ?

Just looked this up. League Cup. At the Manor Ground 2nd October 1973. 1-1 Les Barrett for us. 

I recall a league game there in 1968. Malcom Macdonald's first start. Lost 1-0 and right near the end their LB Richard Lucas was time wasting in the corner right in front of us. I made my feelings quite well known and told me to f*** off and added a v sign for good measure. On MOTD his gesticulation showed up good and clear.  :022:   

092.gif