watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Playing the ball across the goal

Started by Dixie, February 09, 2021, 04:36:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dixie

I was watching the highlights of the Spam match and there were a couple of instances where a player tries to shoot from either an impossible angle or an impossible position... one example being BDR clattering the ball against the legs of the defender who is directly in front of him when a little dink across the goal would have presented Lookman with an open goal

What really made me think about this was the goal that Newcastle scored - Willock said in his MOTD interview that he had told St Maximan to square the ball to him, which duly happened and resulted in a goal.
Also, watching Man City take Liverpool apart at the weekend, similarly scoring goals laid across the goal to an oncoming team mate, which they do quite a lot now i think about it.

But I can't recall a goal that we have scored this season like that... I'm sure there has been, but it seems that this is not something that we do.
Under Slav I reckon we scored loads of goals like this - Sessegnon being a major beneficiary!

Is this a result of not playing with a recognised striker?
"Dixie" Dean Coney - the legend lives on!

bencher

RLC's goal against Everton springs to mind from this season, but I agree, we haven't scored many others (if any). Bear in mind some good chances of this type have been created and missed, e.g. Tete slotted through nicely to Cav against Chelsea, who did his usual miskick. Not quite identical to a pass back from the byeline but a pass that fashioned a gilt-edged chance.

millsy

Not to mention the one that Cav skied last week!

Milo

Strikers don't really get in the box let alone attack the back post sadly.

Dixie

There you go!
Ball across the middle and a player actually anticipating it and sticking it in the net - well done Aina and Maja
"Dixie" Dean Coney - the legend lives on!

Slaphead in Qatar

Quote from: Dixie on February 15, 2021, 09:04:27 AM
There you go!
Ball across the middle and a player actually anticipating it and sticking it in the net - well done Aina and Maja

Yes we played it across the box a few times last night. Made a positive difference and we now have a player who is getting in those scoring positions.