https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Pen or no pen?

Started by Pock, February 21, 2021, 09:25:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HobGoblin

bencher

Quote from: Mullers75 on February 21, 2021, 11:37:47 AM
Probably a pen, but never a free kick to them in the first place - Anguissa clearly wins the ball cleanly, no foul whatsover.

The freekick was for the shirt pull by Lemina, before Anguissa won the ball

FFC1987

Even if he catches the player, he's in control, that contact was inevitable. As long as he gets the ball first and he isn't above knee height, and he's not two footed, I don't see how he isn't in control.

bencher

Quote from: HV71 on February 21, 2021, 10:50:23 AM
My point was that I don't think he intended to kick the guy - but he did which means he wasn't in control of his body

This concept makes no sense, unless Areola is also expected to have control of the Sheff Utd player's body (Bogle?). In that split second he reacted to the loose ball just as the attacker did. It was 50-50, they each caught the other one and some of the ball, we then cleared the ball anyway. I think the fairest outcome would have been a drop ball on any other area of the pitch, or otherwise play on. It being a yard from goal makes a drop ball absurd so the fairest outcome was either a FK to us or a drop ball for us. Let's all move on.

Wilder is clutching at straws, and the reality is a draw would not have done too much for them either. It would take more than a minor miracle for them to beat the drop.

filham

Had the ref. given a penalty I think he would have been obliged to give a red card with it, that would have been really harsh but indicates how tight things are going to be in this relegation battle.

toshes mate

In one of the alternative dimensions of this game a penalty was awarded; Sharp took it and it hit the bar and rebounded to the feet of BDR who raced up the other end and tucked away goal number two ... luck can be a rather tricky creature.

bill taylors apprentice

I didn't see it as a penalty and after watching the replays from various angles they confirmed my opinion.

Having said that, I have seen penalties given for less and if the challenge had taken place outside the penalty area I'm sure the ref would have given a free kick.

That wouldn't have made it right, just that referee's often take the easy option.
Its got to the stage now that if Areola had not hurt himself and rolled around in agony (or faked agony) the ref may have been influenced another way and that's how crazy its got.

Arthur

Quote from: filham on February 21, 2021, 12:09:04 PM
Had the ref. given a penalty I think he would have been obliged to give a red card with it, that would have been really harsh but indicates how tight things are going to be in this relegation battle.

It depends whether the referee deems Areola's challenge to be one that was intended to bring down the player if he didn't block the ball. If the referee thinks it was, he awards a penalty and sends off our goalkeeper. Seeing as bringing down the Sheffield player wouldn't have prevented a goal - unless Areola block the ball, it's in the net - I think it's unlikely he would have been red-carded even had a penalty been given.