watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Penalty

Started by Dodgin, February 20, 2021, 10:29:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brawn

Haven't got a clue what Danny Murphy thinks he sees there. Areola gets the ball.

DevonFFC

Quote from: Cambridge Pete on February 20, 2021, 10:34:03 PM
Thought it was 50:50. As both ref and VAR said no penalty don't see how there can be a retrospective Red (unless they listen to Sourness)

Correct as VAR would have deemed it as a clear and obvious Ref error and he would have had to go to the monitor

FFC1987

Even if Bogle gets to the ball first, the ball then gets intercepted by Areola which is the tackle, with the follow through. If Bogle gets the ball and the contact is then made with Bogle, then Areola touches the ball, you'd have a point but it wasn't. Not a penalty, not a red, just a circumstance of unfortunate circumstances for a player. Much like Arnold penalty earlier, it's a penalty, albeit its really unlucky. Retrospective action can't be taken as clearly, the ref saw this, like Pickfords.

Twig

Quote from: Caedal on February 20, 2021, 10:30:05 PM
I personally think it should have been. I'm worried about a retrospective red....

What, another one?

bahay18

Areola has only moved a couple of yards from his line so there is little momentum , its not comparable with Robinsons challenge against chelsea which was a complete wipe out at pace . I think areola has actually gone to block , he gets the ball and then its two players coming together . Its not rash , its not high , areola had ever right to go for that ball just 2 yards in front of him . Ive tried to watch it with the souness mind set but its just not what happened . Both sky commentators said it was great goalkeeping . Souness was just in one of those moods , he wasn't even prepared to listen to the reasons why VAR didn't even award it .

i dont think it can be considered for retrospective red because the ref saw it and awarded a foul in areloas favour .

Baszab

Makes up for their penalty early in the season which robbed us off 2 points

Pluto

Baffled why so many think it was a pen. It was a 50/50 ball and Areola got there first. Not his fault their player got clattered - it happens. Keepers are allowed to use their feet just the same as any attacking player so it could just as easily have been an offensive foul by them to be honest!

Herbie

No penalty.  I thought Areola played the ball and touched it before making contact with the player.

I was very worried though, as any coming together in the penalty area risks a VAR intervention. 

Thankfully, the right decision was made. One of the fine margins finally going our way.

Jules

It was definitely heart in mouth time. I have definitely seen these given, and we got lucky. But, for all the terrible decisions against us this season we have earnt that bit of luck

Jimmy Hill

No Pen Ball first. Just like any other one on one. Just more phisical.

One Martin Thomas

The angle from behind .... looked like a good tackle

From other angles it looked like a penalty!!

Difficult that one for VAR and the ref alike in my opinion!!

Ultimately, they didn't do enough to deserve a point against us