more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Dont worry only Spurs at home and Liverpool away

Started by The Swan, February 28, 2021, 01:59:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FFC In Oz

Quote from: bobby01 on February 28, 2021, 02:01:14 PM
Tbh we struggle badly against teams that park the bus, so maybe we have a chance.

These are my thoughts too.

It seems that this side is better equipped to soak up pressure and strike on the counter rather than dominate possession and try and break down defensive walls.

Logicalman

Quote from: The Swan on February 28, 2021, 01:59:42 PM
We can only get one point away to Palace, what are the chances of winning at home to Spurs and away to Liverpool .

. about the same chance as we did at Leicester and Everton I would respond. Especially as all four teams are quite comparable!
Logical is just in the name - don't expect it has anything to do with my thought process, because I AM the man who sold the world.

Sting of the North

Quote from: FFC1987 on February 28, 2021, 02:24:53 PM
Quote from: colinwhite on February 28, 2021, 02:13:37 PM
Palace put 10 players behind the ball. Second half we were excellent . How anyone can be unhappy with that is beyond me. Undefeated in 7 away games and one of the form sides in the league ,defensively superb and its not enough for some.

Colin, we've spoken about this. In a bubble, that's excellent, but in a hole, it isn't. We've only won 4 games this season, and drew 11. We're desperate for wins as we're still 3 points adrift going into games against Man City, Liverpool, Spurs, Leeds & Villa. We really need to pull a rabbit out the hat in at least 2 of those games to stay in contention.

I'm happy with Parker and the performance today. I'm not happy with the attacking players inability to score relatively routine chances.

I can understand the frustration caused by our missed opportunities, but I don't think we need to pull any rabbits out of any hats to have a good chance to beat Leeds or Villa in particular. Leeds have been the opposite of us in my opinion, in that they have more points than their play deserves, and Villa is decent but not more. Both very beatable. The same goes for Liverpool and Spurs in their current form. We need good performances, but it would be no big surprise if we got 5-8 points from those games. It would also be no surprise if we got less, but I prefer to be optimistic. The only rabbit we need to pull out of anything would be to get a point from City. In my opinion.

Onwards and upwards.

Woolly Mammoth

Fulham were better than Palace all over the pitch, they arrived with one point in their pocket and Palace were only interested in avoiding defeat which is in Roy's DNA.
Fulham played extremely well once again and yet another clean sheet and our goal difference could be worth a point. Look at the way Burnley and Sheff Utd played against us, like Palace they were happy to avoid a defeat, so they plant two banks of four in their own halves and rely on set pieces.
As for looking at the next up and coming games, what is there to be daunted as the OP is referring to.
Winning games and attempting to win games is all about good habits, and thanks to Scott and the players we have adopted good habits and an unbeaten run, and I cannot think of the last time we were second best to any team.
Spurs, Liverpool, Utd, City, what exactly is there to fear. I would imagine just like the Everton game there will be more open spaces, and the way we play with one touch passing movements of triangles we will no doubt have more chances because these teams will come at us unlike boring negative Palace.
So no more doom mongering because going by the post match interviews with Scott and RBL, they were both upbeat and positive, because they both know they are working with a technically superior organised team that has a superb work rate and team spirit.  Scott's subs were at the right time, and despite throwing caution to the wind we kept our shape and balance and let the ball do the work, because the ball never gets tired.
The only ingredient missing was goals, nonetheless this is a real quality team we are supporting who are well drilled and fit, and they are the second youngest team in the Premier with the youngest Manager.
So Mr Swan please take off your tin helmet and announce a glass half full mentality, no grim reapers on here.
One things for sure some of these teams will be extremely worried about playing Fulham a lot more than any of the teams in the bottom half.
Everything the manager and the team did and said today was positive, and Fulham did their talking on the pitch and made Palace look Two Bob.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

Deeping_white

We've lost fewer games than we've drawn/won, and that's when you consider the god awful start against some very average teams. We've now turned into a team that don't roll over regardless of who we play against, so I think there's no reason to fear Spurs/Liverpool. Both are good teams in their own right, Spurs have been very hot & cold this season so if we can frustrate them, we can look to pick up a point with a view to snatching all three. Liverpool have been rotten at home for a while and are so injury depleted, I think we should be going there and expecting to win the midfield battle. A point against both of them sets us up for what will realistically be a loss against City (and there's no shame in losing to their ridiculous squad), and gives us a platform going into some much more winnable games.

Don't forget that our relegation rivals have to play the same teams after we do so it's not like they have plain sailing and we have choppy waters to navigate. A strong mental attitude, which this team seems to have in abundance will serve us much better than a team like Newcastle or Brighton, who have been looking nervously over their shoulders for the past few weeks. It's going to come down to bottle, and at this point in time, we seem to have enough of it to mount a decent charge up the table.

FFC In Oz

Quote from: Sting of the North on February 28, 2021, 02:49:40 PM
Palace put 10 players behind the ball. Second half we were excellent . How anyone can be unhappy with that is beyond me. Undefeated in 7 away games and one of the form sides in the league ,defensively superb and its not enough for some.

Colin, we've spoken about this. In a bubble, that's excellent, but in a hole, it isn't. We've only won 4 games this season, and drew 11. We're desperate for wins as we're still 3 points adrift going into games against Man City, Liverpool, Spurs, Leeds & Villa. We really need to pull a rabbit out the hat in at least 2 of those games to stay in contention.

I'm happy with Parker and the performance today. I'm not happy with the attacking players inability to score relatively routine chances.

I can understand the frustration caused by our missed opportunities, but I don't think we need to pull any rabbits out of any hats to have a good chance to beat Leeds or Villa in particular. Leeds have been the opposite of us in my opinion, in that they have more points than their play deserves, and Villa is decent but not more. Both very beatable. The same goes for Liverpool and Spurs in their current form. We need good performances, but it would be no big surprise if we got 5-8 points from those games. It would also be no surprise if we got less, but I prefer to be optimistic. The only rabbit we need to pull out of anything would be to get a point from City. In my opinion.

Onwards and upwards.

The difference is Leeds have scored 43 goals and Villa have scored 38.

We're still averaging well under 1 a game.

blingo

We can catch both Burnley and Southampton, never mind BHA and Newcastle. WE move on. A point away from home against palace is a good point. We were unlucky not to get all three.

Woolly Mammoth

Burnley are having one of those days and their goal net is severely bruised like their goal difference.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

blingo

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on February 28, 2021, 03:14:51 PM
Burnley are having one of those days and their goal net is severely bruised like their goal difference.

GOOD lol

Statto

Quote from: JoelH5 on February 28, 2021, 02:09:58 PM
Quote from: FFC1987 on February 28, 2021, 02:04:35 PM
We have a chance still but I still think we're going down. We just don't take opportunities presented to us. Newcastle rather fortunately outplaying Wolves only to get a draw and WestBrom beating Brighton were massive for us. We couldn't follow it up with a depleted Palace side who we outplayed for the majority of the match. Super frustrated and annoyed at our attackers right now.

Agree. Massive missed opportunity. I think we had to win that one unless we get lucky with some freak results

We were always going to need some freak results to stay up, I don't think anything has changed.

Another good performance, another clean sheet, points gained on Burnley and Brighton and nothing lost on Newcastle. Hopefully Southampton will lose tomorrow and it's a point gained on them too. Seems a decent weekend tk me.

Yes it would have been nice to take our chances and get 3 pts today but plenty of time left to chip away at those above us. There will be plenty of surprises (both defeats and wins) before the end of the season.

SuffolkWhite

We don't need to fear anyone, onwards and upwards
Guy goes into the doctor's.
"Doc, I've got a cricket ball stuck up my backside
"How's that?"
"Don't you start"

AnotherVicHalomLoveChild

At this stage of the season given where we are & who we have left to play there is no point in worrying or fearing it.

Focus on our style of play & impose our game to them

Maja was close to a couple of goals today & is motivated to prove his worth.
Reed is like a tiger in midfield & defensively we continue to look strong.

No doubt the lads want to prove themselves against the best & that's what's up next

Game on!

Sting of the North

Quote from: FFC In Oz on February 28, 2021, 02:59:22 PM

Onwards and upwards.

That's just one of the differences though, not THE difference. Another difference is that Leeds have conceded 44 goals. And there are lots of other differences. Many, if not all, are relevant when assessing our chances against them. For example the form table. In my opinion

FFC1987

Quote from: Sting of the North on February 28, 2021, 05:07:55 PM

Onwards and upwards.

That's just one of the differences though, not THE difference. Another difference is that Leeds have conceded 44 goals. And there are lots of other differences. Many, if not all, are relevant when assessing our chances against them. For example the form table. In my opinion

If I'm honest, I don't get the no fear factor really. We haven't been winning enough games to stay up but we are extremely difficult to beat, which is great, but it won't keep you in this division. Only wins do that. Something we've achieved 4 times. We've been on the right side of performances and not won too many times this year. I'd be mightily surprised if come the end of march, we're still within 3 of safety or less obviously. We've come so close now to being a team worthy of staying up but we almost always fall short when the advantage is there. Hope I'm wrong, but we'll see by end of March I guess.

humphrey

Quote from: Wingnut on February 28, 2021, 02:05:23 PM
Liverpool are in a terrible place, by their standards, at the moment, and Spurs are very hot and cold under JM. Not expecting us to win these games, but two points is achievable. Leeds at home is a game we should be looking to win.
I don't think Leeds will be winnable- they will have Rodrigo, Phillips , Koch the German int. back. Phillips has been a huge miss for them.
Are Leeds safe though, if so they may be "relaxed"

humphrey

LEEDS HAVE SUFFERED FROM BIG INJURY LIST - reading Philips, Rodrigo, Koch the German defender, they will be back for Fulham game- are they safe, cause if they are then the may not turn up

Onwards and upwards.

Sting of the North

But why would we fear any of those teams? We have many times shown that we have at least a decent chance for one or more pounts in almost every game. We are hard to beat, we don't roll over. We will be in with a decent chance in almost all of those games. Why fear them? Fear the drop? Sure. Fear any individual games? Not in my book (except for City).

We are so much better than last time around when I feared most teams. Now I look forward to the games.

Blawarmy

Liverpool were crap at home against Burnley and Brighton. No doubt they'll play a f'ing blinder against us. [emoji849]

FFC1987

Quote from: Sting of the North on February 28, 2021, 05:31:43 PM
But why would we fear any of those teams? We have many times shown that we have at least a decent chance for one or more pounts in almost every game. We are hard to beat, we don't roll over. We will be in with a decent chance in almost all of those games. Why fear them? Fear the drop? Sure. Fear any individual games? Not in my book (except for City).

We are so much better than last time around when I feared most teams. Now I look forward to the games.

I meant the inverse. I don't think any of those clubs fear us based on how toothless we are!

colinwhite

Quote from: FFC1987 on February 28, 2021, 05:15:18 PM
Quote from: Sting of the North on February 28, 2021, 05:07:55 PM

Onwards and upwards.

If I'm honest, I don't get the no fear factor really. We haven't been winning enough games to stay up but we are extremely difficult to beat, which is great, but it won't keep you in this division. Only wins do that. Something we've achieved 4 times. We've been on the right side of performances and not won too many times this year. I'd be mightily surprised if come the end of march, we're still within 3 of safety or less obviously. We've come so close now to being a team worthy of staying up but we almost always fall short when the advantage is there. Hope I'm wrong, but we'll see by end of March I guess.
you could also say that we have won 2 games in the last eight days  or only lost 3 in our last 15 games which is just as relevant if we are going to trot out  irrelevant  stats that back up our argument.