watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Mitroball

Started by 70sPimlico, February 28, 2021, 09:36:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

70sPimlico

Last season, until he got injured we played Mitroball. Goals. For our support players, were limited to wonder goals as mostly we focused on supplying Mitro.

We hit some beauties.

When Mitro is out, we become far more flexible and attacking but, really frustratingly, our wonder goals completely dry up.

Further than that, despite making numerous more chances, we can't appear to connect properly to any shot at all.

There's got to be a happy medium. Surely?

Statto

I think any successful PL tactics have to involve at least one player with PL quality finishing.

Perhaps Maja can offer that but he certainly didn't demonstrate it today.

Mitro hasn't been great when he's played this season but at least we know he has it in his locker.

70sPimlico

Quote from: Statto on February 28, 2021, 09:49:13 PM
I think any successful PL tactics have to involve at least one player with PL quality finishing.

Mitro hasn't been great when he's played this season but at least we know he has it in his locker.
Lets hope so.

But it's what happens elsewhere that concerns me

filham

Mitro is the only player in our squad that has a good goal scoring record, all others have now demonstrated that they are going to score insufficient goals over the rest of the season.
Mitro has to be reinstated as our main striker.

LittleErn

I think you mean "had" not "has". We don't know if he still has it.

perry geyton

And last season we were in the championship, whole different animal 

Statto

Quote from: perry geyton on February 28, 2021, 11:08:02 PM
And last season we were in the championship, whole different animal 

Not really. Plenty of players who were recently no better than Mitrovic in the Championship (Watkins, Bamford) have made the step up. Even in our own team the likes of Reed and Tosin were nothing more than good Championship players last season. Evidently those at the top end of the Championship can make an impact in the bottom half of the PL with confidence and the right tactics.

In any case, Mitrovic had a solid season for us in the PL in 18/19, and has something ridiculous like 13 goals in his last 12 matches at international level.

ex-Pat

Quote from: filham on February 28, 2021, 10:06:54 PM
Mitro is the only player in our squad that has a good goal scoring record, all others have now demonstrated that they are going to score insufficient goals over the rest of the season.

This is complete Rubbish, the operative word is "has"no longer does he have a record. gone done get over it.

St Eve

couldn't agree more

FFC In Oz

Right, but he hasn't scored in 16 PL games (I know a lot of those have been off the bench too)

Tempest

Maja should have scored but didn't, bit harsh to say wasn't premier League finishing. He's not been with us longer than a gnats fart and we're hardly prolific in creating chances. Have you seen how many chances Vardy misses? Firmino? Actually almost anyone in the PL the only difference is that it matters less as their team will create a lot of chances for them.

Put Vardy in our team and he gets 1 chance a game. Throughout the season you think he will score that 1 chance 100% of the time?

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk

Live in Falmouth!

Robbie

He is just not getting any service.
If Lookman - once again - had just passed to him instead shooting - once again - into the side net... we would have won !

We have some good players making poor decisions.

Jim©

Quote from: Tempest on March 01, 2021, 07:44:00 AM

Maja should have scored but didn't, bit harsh to say wasn't premier League finishing. He's not been with us longer than a gnats fart and we're hardly prolific in creating chances. Have you seen how many chances Vardy misses? Firmino? Actually almost anyone in the PL the only difference is that it matters less as their team will create a lot of chances for them.

Put Vardy in our team and he gets 1 chance a game. Throughout the season you think he will score that 1 chance 100% of the time?

I don't understand this "we don't create chances" line.
It's simply not true or correct.
Look at chances created over last 5 games and you'll be shocked:
Fulham shots- 71
Fulham shots on target- 18

Opposition shots- 30
Opposition shots on target- 8

I would bet that Man City are about the only team at this moment that have such a gap between shots of their own and opposition. Take for example West Ham, doing exceptionally well, beating Spurs and Villa in that run and close runners up to Man City, their stats look like this
West Ham shots- 54
West Ham shots on target- 19

Opposition shots- 67
Opposition shots on target- 16

So, we are creating (i know a shot is a loose term for a chance, but it's the same for every team used in this example, so some bobblers etc will be included on both sides) and we are keeping opposition chances to a low. Where we're failing is scoring goals.

70sPimlico

Quote from: Jim© on March 01, 2021, 10:24:21 AM
Quote from: Tempest on March 01, 2021, 07:44:00 AM

I don't understand this "we don't create chances" line.
It's simply not true or correct.
Look at chances created over last 5 games and you'll be shocked:
Fulham shots- 71
Fulham shots on target- 18

Opposition shots- 30
Opposition shots on target- 8

I would bet that Man City are about the only team at this moment that have such a gap between shots of their own and opposition. Take for example West Ham, doing exceptionally well, beating Spurs and Villa in that run and close runners up to Man City, their stats look like this
West Ham shots- 54
West Ham shots on target- 19

Opposition shots- 67
Opposition shots on target- 16

So, we are creating (i know a shot is a loose term for a chance, but it's the same for every team used in this example, so some bobblers etc will be included on both sides) and we are keeping opposition chances to a low. Where we're failing is scoring goals.

Fair point. Unfortunately, I don't think the answer is as simple as put Mitro on. I think if we do that, the number of chances created will be diminished.

This isn't a criticism....well, actually I guess it is but, lets be honest if Mitro could move as fast as Vardy, he's be one of the worlds top strikers. He must be one of the slowest players in the premiership