watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Chris Wilder (Merged)

Started by JimmyConway, March 12, 2021, 10:48:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JimmyConway

Rumours coming out about to leave Sheffield United. Thought he would be ideal manager to bounce back next season ala Norwich this season and many more before to boot?

bobby01

Just left Sheffield Utd
Watching the ups and downs since 1958, wouldn't have it any other way, what a roller coaster of a club.

Hugh Gentry

Shame. He did a great job with a team of limited talent and flair, particularly last season. I think it is short sighted to make the decision they have.

WestSussexWhite

I actually agree with the sacking, should have gone sooner. They've lost 22 out of 28 games and he's spunked 100 million on average players. He's refusing to have a DOF too

Dodgin

Hard to fathom, may well have been the best manager to bring them straight up again. Assume he is top of the list for a few of the lower league clubs.

Slaphead in Qatar

Finishing 9th last year. Should have done much better this season than he has done.

20million on Brewster  :doh:

filham

With ten games to go the new manager bounce will have to be enormous to save them, don't think they are going to bother us.

Southcoastffc

Couple of things re the above posts:

He's leaving 'by mutual consent'.  I really don't think it's a sacking.  Last month Sheffield United's owner Prince Abdullah said 'Chris Wilder's job is safe even if we are relegated.'

Their 9th place finish last season was IMO very much a flash in the pan/one season wonder.   

I don't believe that the owners would seriously contemplate any new manager bounce to keep them in the Premier League but will look to have someone in for the Championship.   (Eddie Howe?)
The world is made up of electrons, protons, neurons, possibly muons and, definitely, morons.

bencher

It's a shame, and he's really a victim of modern football. In days gone by he'd have hung around for years off the back of what he had done previously. Fine margins between Sheff Utd's fate and Burnley, the other team playing their way and making it work out. Bournemouth another that made it work for a few years until it didn't. It's good for the city of Sheffield to have a team in the PL and I hope one of its two teams can be competitive.

bog

I like Chris Wilder. He began management in non-league. Good luck to him. Not long before he is in another job.  :54:   

Buffalo76

Punched well above their weight last season. Still think he would've got them challenging 4 promotion next season in the championship. Don't think he saw eye 2 eye with the owner. Got a good record with teams overall. He'll get snapped up in the near future.

PaulJ123

Smart move from Wilder really, will get a decent job now whereas if he stuck with Sheffield Utd and was in 20th in the Champ next season, really limits him.

Whitestone

Wilder has been a success wherever he's managed, achieving promotion with Oxford United and Northampton before two promotions with Sheff Utd. The guy is a winner who is unlikely to be out of work very long. I can see him tipping up at an ambitious Championship team in the near future.

Statto

Agree with the comments above that last season was a flash in the pan and that they haven't gone on to spend their PL riches well. IMO Wilder was out of his depth in the PL and not someone to push them on to mid-table stability. With parachute payments they'll be hoping to come back up and this time stay up for longer, so it makes sense IMO.

Woolly Mammoth

The new owners are out of their depth and Chris Wilder identified that rapidly and he has left of his own accord. It's a shame as they gave it a good go last season. But it's a very tough League and any weaknesses will be found out.
Considering Fulham gave everyone else a head start with our handicap.
Fulham have done marvellous on the field of play. Clearly they have used their training sessions well and it is mirrored on the pitch.
Chris Wilder will be in demand and easily get another job. 
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

Tabby

Quote from: Hugh Gentry on March 12, 2021, 10:51:38 AM
Shame. He did a great job with a team of limited talent and flair, particularly last season. I think it is short sighted to make the decision they have.

Think it is Wilder walking, like David Wagner with Huddersfield.

Lyle from Hangeland

Quote from: JimmyConway on March 12, 2021, 10:48:43 AM
Rumours coming out about to leave Sheffield United. Thought he would be ideal manager to bounce back next season ala Norwich this season and many more before to boot?

I like Chris Wilder, but I don't see him managing Fulham. Not his footballing culture... but I could be wrong about that, because I don't know the man, but from afar he doesn't look like a guy who would want to manage a club like Fulham.

Fulham 442

Quote from: Lyle from Hangeland on March 12, 2021, 02:27:28 PM

I like Chris Wilder, but I don't see him managing Fulham. Not his footballing culture... but I could be wrong about that, because I don't know the man, but from afar he doesn't look like a guy who would want to manage a club like Fulham.
I think the OP meant he would bounce back with the Blades.  I think Wilder was fed up with the lack of investment in the squad.  I presume they will appoint a caretaker until the end of the season as no one can save them now....

Lyle from Hangeland

Quote from: Fulham 442 on March 12, 2021, 02:53:38 PM
Quote from: Lyle from Hangeland on March 12, 2021, 02:27:28 PM

I think the OP meant he would bounce back with the Blades.  I think Wilder was fed up with the lack of investment in the squad.  I presume they will appoint a caretaker until the end of the season as no one can save them now....

Fair. I think you're right. It is still morning where I'm at.

I find him leaving surprising too.

hovewhite

Didn't see him walking.