Main Menu

Big thank you for Pep Guardiola

Started by Baszab, March 15, 2021, 11:25:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baszab

For easing off in the last 30 minutes
For not playing de Bruyne/Sterling/Mahrez/Gundogan
For not humiliating an opponent and respecting SP

In the Times today - Pochettino told off Lamela for "nutmegging Townsend" when Spurs thrashed Palace a few years back - He didn't like humiliating opponents

Jim©

I'm sure he was thanking us for imploding over the course of 15 very unlike-us-at-the-moment minutes. Two freebies from CB errors and a dodgy high line. Suppose it was the best game to do those things in.
They didn't look massively like breaking us down first half, if we'd held for another 15 or so it would have been interesting to see the game play out.

Logicalman

To me, Pep has turned out to be a gentleman of the game, much in the same as Roy is.

Rarely have I read/heard anything him say that is detrimental to other managers or teams, and he tends to have a positive attitude. He stands out in the world of football not because he says a lot to the press, or overly remonstrates on the touchline, or looks to be the center of attention, but simply because the way he goes about his job quietly and efficiently, and lets the results speak for him.
Logical is just in the name - don't expect it has anything to do with my thought process, because I AM the man who sold the world.

LittleErn

Quote from: Logicalman on March 15, 2021, 01:00:02 PM
To me, Pep has turned out to be a gentleman of the game, much in the same as Roy is.

Rarely have I read/heard anything him say that is detrimental to other managers or teams, and he tends to have a positive attitude. He stands out in the world of football not because he says a lot to the press, or overly remonstrates on the touchline, or looks to be the center of attention, but simply because the way he goes about his job quietly and efficiently, and lets the results speak for him.

Agreed entirely, but it's easy to do when you manage MC.

Logicalman

Quote from: LittleErn on March 15, 2021, 01:02:40 PM

It is, very much so, though he has suffered success prior to MC as well, and doesn't appear to have changed any in that transition into the Prem. Perhaps that was why the powers that be at MC selected him.
Logical is just in the name - don't expect it has anything to do with my thought process, because I AM the man who sold the world.

blingo

The teams he has managed, Barcelona, Bayern and MC. Top of the tree in all three countries, so he has never had to struggle with middle or lower rung players. It would be interesting to see him or mourinho (both nice guys) manage the likes of any of the current bottom five clubs in the premiership.

bog

Quote from: Jim© on March 15, 2021, 11:46:01 AM
I'm sure he was thanking us for imploding over the course of 15 very unlike-us-at-the-moment minutes. Two freebies from CB errors and a dodgy high line. Suppose it was the best game to do those things in.
They didn't look massively like breaking us down first half, if we'd held for another 15 or so it would have been interesting to see the game play out.

+1

bobbo

Quote from: LittleErn on March 15, 2021, 01:02:40 PM

yeah agree but ern I think Man City are what they are because of him, he's done it wherever he's been . Plus a nice fella also.
1975 just leaving home full of hope

Lyle from Hangeland

Quote from: blingo on March 15, 2021, 02:03:41 PM
The teams he has managed, Barcelona, Bayern and MC. Top of the tree in all three countries, so he has never had to struggle with middle or lower rung players. It would be interesting to see him or mourinho (both nice guys) manage the likes of any of the current bottom five clubs in the premiership.

I can see Mourinho managing Fulham one day.

Twig

Quote from: Lyle from Hangeland on March 15, 2021, 04:46:53 PM

You think he's that good?

blingo

Quote from: Twig on March 16, 2021, 08:22:56 AM

You think he's that good?

I can see him bowing to TK as I write hahahahahahaha

filham

Glad I don't have nightmares like that .

WindyCity

Quote from: Baszab on March 15, 2021, 11:25:13 AM
In the Times today - Pochettino told off Lamela for "nutmegging Townsend" when Spurs thrashed Palace a few years back - He didn't like humiliating opponents

I'm sorry, I don't get this at all.  These guys are athletes in the heat of competition and they're gonna make plays at the moment, on the spot, without even thinking about it.  They're gonna make that play (nutmeg) in the spirit of competition.  Just because a team has a lead doesn't mean the leading team is gonna roll over and let the other side get back into it or play any less competitively. 

Baszab

Remember the Germany Brazil semi final ?
Low said he told the players to "ease off" after half time so as not to humiliate

I think if you have played football before and you're winning easily - it's easy to hold back a little - maybe to not get injured or strain a muscle