News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Anyone else not care about the Champions League?

Started by Pluto, March 17, 2021, 11:38:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pluto

Quote from: Twig on March 18, 2021, 09:36:56 AM
Very little interest. It seems to me to be a self serving money machine for an "elite" number of clubs. Every year it's the same old teams and same old faces, repetitive and a bit tedious. I take a bit more interest in the Europa league which includes more left field entrants and feels a bit more grass roots.

I think this is part of it for me too. The ridiculous sums of money involved and the financial "fair play" rules (another matter but basically a way of keeping the big clubs big and the rest of us in our place) ensure it's always the same few teams year after year. Hard to form any kind of emotional investment in the games when it's so far removed from what I actually enjoy about football.

Baszab

Quite satisfying to see Simeone/Suarez and the other thugs get knocked out - even if it was by Chelsea who looked brilliant

Jules

I have no interest at all in the champions league, Europa League or internationals (and I really dislike international breaks!). Only interest to me is Fulham games, other matches in the premier League and championship which I like also.

SG

Quote from: grandad on March 18, 2021, 09:24:43 AM
Not interested in the least. The same clubs get to the 1/4 finals. All big money clubs. Let them create a Super League & leave us mere mortal clubs carry on playing on a more level playing field.

Exactly my views especially when I saw the 8 who have qualified this year. Boring - same old teams, save perhaps Barcelona missing

Fulham33

I have no interest in the Champions League whatsoever and never have BUT and it is a big BUT - the first leg of the semi final and the second leg are consecutive weeks and sandwiched in between we have a match against ..........Chelsea. For that reason and that reason alone I want them to win their QF and have a tough 1st leg SF but still be in with a shout, rest their entire squad for our match. Then they can get stuffed, as far as I am concerned. I may be wrong with these dates but you can see where I am coming from. FTID

love4ffc

Quote from: ex-Pat on March 18, 2021, 02:59:44 AM
Quote from: love4ffc on March 18, 2021, 02:00:42 AM
In the States the competition has moved to CBS sports.  That means if I want to see most of the matches I must subscribe to another online subscription.   I already pay for ESPN and NBC so that I can see the Championship and the Premier League.  No thanks, I'm not paying for another online sports subscription.

I'm in Fort lauderdale ,download  tvtap on your fire stick  then you can watch all games free.
Good to know  :54:
Anyone can blend into the crowd.  How will you standout when it counts?

Sgt Fulham

I guess I am the only one that loves it? Watching the titans of each league battle it out. Getting to see players that I wouldn't otherwise. There is usually a lot of drama, and it is THE stage for a comeback. Sure, the usual culprits are often in the later stages, but of course they are...That's what makes underdog stories (e.g. Ajax two years ago) so special. I always support the English team or the underdog, but even when I am completely neutral the quality of football is usually very high.

AnOldBrownie

Quote from: Pluto on March 17, 2021, 11:38:09 PM
I don't know why but I never feel any need or desire to watch or even follow this competition when it's on. I watch football outside of Fulham and enjoy following the twists and turns of the domestic leagues, but when it comes to the Champions League or Europa League I really just don't care. To me it kind of feels like international friendlies - half the time I forget the games are even on.

Maybe it's because I have a fundamental dislike for most of the teams. Or maybe it's that the sheer amount of money involved makes it so far removed from the football I know and love. Or maybe it's just that it's on weekday evenings  :023:

Would be different if Fulham were involved of course! But I honestly wouldn't care or even notice if they just got rid of it tomorrow.

Anyone else feel this way?

Question.   You don't like watching the most skilled footballing teams in the world?

Steeeeeeeeeed

And what about the Europa League Cup Trophy thingy... 😁

St Eve

Pluto

Quote from: AnOldBrownie on March 18, 2021, 06:56:12 PM
I don't know why but I never feel any need or desire to watch or even follow this competition when it's on. I watch football outside of Fulham and enjoy following the twists and turns of the domestic leagues, but when it comes to the Champions League or Europa League I really just don't care. To me it kind of feels like international friendlies - half the time I forget the games are even on.

Maybe it's because I have a fundamental dislike for most of the teams. Or maybe it's that the sheer amount of money involved makes it so far removed from the football I know and love. Or maybe it's just that it's on weekday evenings  :023:

Would be different if Fulham were involved of course! But I honestly wouldn't care or even notice if they just got rid of it tomorrow.

Question.   You don't like watching the most skilled footballing teams in the world?

To be honest, I'm not really that bothered. Greater levels of individual or even team skill don't always make for a more entertaining spectacle, in fact they often cancel each other out. On the other hand, some of the most thrilling games I've seen have been two lower league sides slugging it out. I think it just depends on what you enjoy about the game.

SG

Quote from: Pluto on March 19, 2021, 12:57:27 AM

To be honest, I'm not really that bothered. Greater levels of individual or even team skill don't always make for a more entertaining spectacle, in fact they often cancel each other out. On the other hand, some of the most thrilling games I've seen have been two lower league sides slugging it out. I think it just depends on what you enjoy about the game.

Spot on. Even many of the Premier league games are getting tedious. 50 + passes to keep possession as the ball moves backwards forwards sideways very skilfully at times but it's bloody boring much of the time.

dgnffc

If you want excitement and action, then can I suggest watching the All England Badminton currently BBC iplayer and BBC Sport web page?

The level of skill and athleticsm is incredible.

EricB

It would for Chelsea to beat Porto in the next round. I believe they would then have a semi final legs each side of our game with them on May 1st. They may focus on that more than us! Every little helps

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: SG on March 19, 2021, 09:01:00 AM
Quote from: Pluto on March 19, 2021, 12:57:27 AM

Spot on. Even many of the Premier league games are getting tedious. 50 + passes to keep possession as the ball moves backwards forwards sideways very skilfully at times but it's bloody boring much of the time.

Agree the European teams bore me to tears with very slow build ups, almost walking football and nobody gets their shorts dirty. Much more entertainment in all the English leagues right down the Football Pyramid.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

Holders

No. We're not in it and it's not as if it's just the champions anyway. It's just a  money earner for the big clubs to keep them the big clubs.
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

jarv

Champions league??  Tediously boring. For many years I have had no interest in watching an English team play, for example, away in Italy in a half empty stadium. When it was knockout, it was a rare treat to see a game. (or highlights on a Wednesday night).

Too much tippy tappy football. Passing it around in their own half.