watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Local Newcastle Media calling for Steve Bruce to Go

Started by Steeeeeeeeeed, March 22, 2021, 02:04:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steeeeeeeeeed

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-9388843/Local-media-turns-Newcastle-boss-Bruce-urges-honourable-thing-walk-away.html

It's a right mess at that club isn't it

I also saw this Joke post on Paddy Power yesterday...

https://news.paddypower.com/football/2021/03/22/newcastle-steve-bruce-premier-league-cabbage/

I dunno if it make s much difference if he stays or goes really, but they are so low in morale  at the moment.

bobby01

Actually the more the press have a pop at Ashley the more likely he is to leave Bruce in situ. Relegation has not bothered him before.
Sometimes I wonder when clubs get themselves in a mess wether relegation for a season may be helpful. Depending on reduction clauses in player wages and the fact many will go, it may be a way of sorting out an overpaid and underperforming squad.
Obviously I do not know a great deal about Newcastle but it was just a thought, parachute payments are pretty good.
Watching the ups and downs since 1958, wouldn't have it any other way, what a roller coaster of a club.

Fulham Tup North

Quote from: bobby01 on March 22, 2021, 02:12:54 PM
Actually the more the press have a pop at Ashley the more likely he is to leave Bruce in situ. Relegation has not bothered him before.
Sometimes I wonder when clubs get themselves in a mess wether relegation for a season may be helpful. Depending on reduction clauses in player wages and the fact many will go, it may be a way of sorting out an overpaid and underperforming squad.
Obviously I do not know a great deal about Newcastle but it was just a thought, parachute payments are pretty good.
Also the regulations for new owners are different for Championship clubs.   Ashley could then sell to someone who could not get into the Premiership....
Then next season when re-promoted, no arguments from the EPL... genius...⚽️
"Whether you think you can or you think you can't,....you're right"

The Fish

Geordie here,

The only reason Bruce is still in a job is because Ashley's gambling that this squad has enough in it to stay up. If we'd been in the bottom 3 for more than a week or so the trigger would have been pulled.

He, like Pardew, Carver, Mcclaren before him are evidence that the owner and MD haven't a clue about football.

Getting relegated might make a takeover more likely, but the sticking point was never the atrocities carried out by the Saudis, it was purely because of the piracy issue. If the club's arbitration proceedings can establish that the investment fund (PIF) are separate and distinct from the state (KSA) then the takeover can go through. There's been enough work done by KSA to appear as though they're mending bridges with BEIN (and subsequently Qatar) and treating the two as distinct would allow the PL to permit the takeover without bloodying the nose of a big commercial partner, too much.

Also, getting relegated would wipe £100m off the value of the club with a snap of the fingers, so Ashley would desperately want to avoid that.

Re: benefiting from relegation. None of our 'stars' have relegation clauses, and we've only a few saleable assets. Given the likely crash of the market that COVID will cause we can't rely on selling ASM or Almiron for £30m+ to cover the cost of the required overhaul.

Jimsbeerbelly

Quote from: The Fish on April 14, 2021, 01:20:48 PM
Geordie here,

The only reason Bruce is still in a job is because Ashley's gambling that this squad has enough in it to stay up. If we'd been in the bottom 3 for more than a week or so the trigger would have been pulled.

He, like Pardew, Carver, Mcclaren before him are evidence that the owner and MD haven't a clue about football.

Getting relegated might make a takeover more likely, but the sticking point was never the atrocities carried out by the Saudis, it was purely because of the piracy issue. If the club's arbitration proceedings can establish that the investment fund (PIF) are separate and distinct from the state (KSA) then the takeover can go through. There's been enough work done by KSA to appear as though they're mending bridges with BEIN (and subsequently Qatar) and treating the two as distinct would allow the PL to permit the takeover without bloodying the nose of a big commercial partner, too much.

Also, getting relegated would wipe £100m off the value of the club with a snap of the fingers, so Ashley would desperately want to avoid that.

Re: benefiting from relegation. None of our 'stars' have relegation clauses, and we've only a few saleable assets. Given the likely crash of the market that COVID will cause we can't rely on selling ASM or Almiron for £30m+ to cover the cost of the required overhaul.

You won't be getting relegated, so you can relax.

filham

Ashley has got through a lot of managers over the years. If any prospective manager was to read Kevin Kegan's book I shouldn't think they would go near the club while he is chairman.

The Fish

Quote from: Jimsbeerbelly on April 14, 2021, 05:59:04 PM
You won't be getting relegated, so you can relax.
Not over til the fat lady and all that.

The Fish

Quote from: filham on April 14, 2021, 06:14:37 PM
Ashley has got through a lot of managers over the years. If any prospective manager was to read Kevin Kegan's book I shouldn't think they would go near the club while he is chairman.
I think Bruce was 11th on the list, or something. We apparently approached Arteta, Gerrard, and a few others, but they wanted nowt to do with it. No surprise.

cookieg

Like him or hate him it looks like he is keeping Newcastle in the Prem so job done.

The Fish

Quote from: cookieg on April 15, 2021, 05:25:14 PM
Like him or hate him it looks like he is keeping Newcastle in the Prem so job done.
That's a hell of a low bar you've set there.