watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

RIP Prince Phillip

Started by blingo, April 09, 2021, 12:14:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shepperton white

Despite the faults and foibles of our monarchy, when I look at some of the a...holes who run Europe, Trump and a few others  beside, I'll take our system (though somewhat slimmed down) any day.  None of them would have served their countries the way the Queen and Phillip have done.

grandad

When I was 14 he opened Southfields Boys Club. I was giving a display on the vaulting horse. I fell over when landing & Prince Philip came over & helped me up & asked if I was OK.
RIP to you sir.
Where there's a will there's a wife

west kowloon white

Very disappointed/ ashamed with one or two comments on a Fulham website - hope I'm sitting nowhere near you when able to renew my ST.

bigalffc

Instead of seeing the rug being pulled from under us we can learn to dance on a shifting carpet - Thomas Crum

Pluto

RIP - always liked and respected the man. Some really nasty comments on Twitter, as usual that place is a cesspit.

bigalffc

Quote from: Jock White on April 09, 2021, 05:04:26 PM
Quote from: jarv on April 09, 2021, 02:14:10 PM
Sorry, no sympathy for any royal. Ridiculously wealthy but still parasites on the taxpayer. Time for them to pay their own way.
Served the country in WW2 with distinction and has been a loyal supporter of "The Boss" and many great causes ever since.
In my Service we looked up to and respected him for that.
Also he was a husband, father, grandfather and great-grandfather to his family all of whom will be mourning him.
I don't know you Jarv and I'm glad of that...

:plus one:

Mod: Quote Clean Up
Instead of seeing the rug being pulled from under us we can learn to dance on a shifting carpet - Thomas Crum

sunburywhite

Quote from: bigalffc on April 09, 2021, 07:22:43 PM
Quote from: Jock White on April 09, 2021, 05:04:26 PM
Sorry, no sympathy for any royal. Ridiculously wealthy but still parasites on the taxpayer. Time for them to pay their own way.
Served the country in WW2 with distinction and has been a loyal supporter of "The Boss" and many great causes ever since.
In my Service we looked up to and respected him for that.
Also he was a husband, father, grandfather and great-grandfather to his family all of whom will be mourning him.
I don't know you Jarv and I'm glad of that...

:plus one:

+2

Mod: Quote Clean Up
Remember you are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
I will be as good as I can be and when I cross the finishing line I will see what it got me

HobGoblin

Rip. Stood alongside our Queen as a rock for decades.

Will be remembered for the odd gaff. Spoke plainly. But served our nation well.

A good innings at 99.

SouthIslandWhite

When my staff called me with the news this morning, it was my honour to direct them to lower all the flags to Half-Mast.
There is only one Fulham Football Club.

sunburywhite

He (like a number of the Royal Family) served in the armed forces on the front line

Remember you are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
I will be as good as I can be and when I cross the finishing line I will see what it got me

cottage expat

Quote from: sunburywhite on April 09, 2021, 04:27:04 PM
Quote from: Fulham 442 on April 09, 2021, 02:27:45 PM
Perhaps you could have some sympathy for an elderly lady who has lost her husband of over 70 years instead then?

WELL SAID
Quote from: Fulham 442 on April 09, 2021, 02:55:34 PM
Quote from: Tempest on April 09, 2021, 02:35:04 PM
Probably one of those situations where if you don't have anything nice to say.......

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk

Well said, agree completely.

+1

jarv

Very sorry to upset some of you guys.  I feel for the old guy but also in the middle of a pandemic when old guys are dying by the dozen, foodbanks are used in record numbers, using taxpayer money for pomp, ceremony and fancy parades just doesn't sit right with me. It never has. I love all of your comments on football, so again, sorry if I can't accept what is predominantly, a south of England love in with the royals.

By the way, we are too cautious so far against Wolves. I hope we can pick it up a bit in the second half.

sunburywhite

Hadrian didnt build the wall far enough north

ron

He had the pallor of the grave on him when he left hospital.

RIP, a good innings and a great supporting role.

jarv

Loved your comment Sunbury.  064.gif

Fulham Tup North

"Whether you think you can or you think you can't,....you're right"

Friendsoffulham

Some pretty disrespectful comments in this post, personally.

We understand that the Royals will split opinions, it should really be treated as a political post and deleted, but, when it comes to somebody's death, please have some compassion.

We've cleaned it up a little, however, the member who chose to mock Phillips death as "Shame  067.gif" has been banned from the Forum.

No place for that type of behaviour on here, sorry.

Andy S

Condolences to our royal family. The Queen and all her sons and daughter. I doubt that it is ever easy to lose a loved one and I hope you are all to come through this and help the Queen to make the royal family stronger for future generations RIP Phillip and thank you

clarkey

Can I ask why people see his death as "sad" ?  He was 99 has had a great life, died in a dignified and decent way, and has lived life to the full. Every single member of his family had a chance to say goodbye and pay their respects. He will get a great send off.

What aspect is 'sad: ?

A 35 year old mother of three dying from Covid is sad . I think the media coverage has been ridiculous.

And as for "can't think of anyone who could not have done a better job" he came over here, married the Queen, lived in luxury, travelled the planet, met facsinating and interesting people and had the opportunity to help others. It would have been churlish to not live your life to the full and love it surely ?  I think there are literally millions who could have done exactly the same job, especially of his generation.

No disrespect but we need to see things in perspective surely ?  I feel sad for everyone who has lost a family member prematurely not at 99 !

SG

Quote from: clarkey on April 11, 2021, 11:57:30 AM
Can I ask why people see his death as "sad" ?  He was 99 has had a great life, died in a dignified and decent way, and has lived life to the full. Every single member of his family had a chance to say goodbye and pay their respects. He will get a great send off.

What aspect is 'sad: ?

A 35 year old mother of three dying from Covid is sad . I think the media coverage has been ridiculous.

And as for "can't think of anyone who could not have done a better job" he came over here, married the Queen, lived in luxury, travelled the planet, met facsinating and interesting people and had the opportunity to help others. It would have been churlish to not live your life to the full and love it surely ?  I think there are literally millions who could have done exactly the same job, especially of his generation.

No disrespect but we need to see things in perspective surely ?  I feel sad for everyone who has lost a family member prematurely not at 99 !

Agree entirely. My wife and I had exactly this conversation this morning - and to put things in perspective her mother is 99 and just about hanging on although does not have any quality of life.