watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

OK, a gripe

Started by 70sPimlico, April 10, 2021, 08:12:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

70sPimlico

Parker has set us up a certain way. That fine, I may not particularly like it but I get it. The tactics are patient probing for opportunities.

However, in a must win game the players are not instructed to do everything else with urgency. Throw ins, free kicks and goal kicks are all done at a very slow pace. We never unsettle opposition by doing the simple things quickly. I understand that we don't play like Leeds tactically but why not take a bit of their mentality. It just all seems a bit too restrained.

At the end of the day, its a cup game with just 90 minutes to make or break.

colham

That's Parker's style.  Too slow, too negative.  Always has been. 

clarkey

You are right. It is a mental state of mind. The biggest negative though to our style of play is that the emphasis for the first 30 games was all on the defence.
Parker managed to stop us leaking goals by creating a back five system with two extra defenders and two CDM's so we had nine back all the time pretty much.That means one up top. Which it was. Sometimes that one was Cav.Really bad. Also over selection of the non scoring R LC

Also you have no idea how much players got blasted for ignoring their defensive duties.BDR got dropped or subbed when he was covering more pitch than anyone else, and scoring more. So he learned fast...defence comes first.

Hence bad treatment of Cairney and waste of BDR. Also the over selection of the awful Cavaleiro who was even on the pitch last night- incidentally Wolves only dominated the game for 5 minutes and it was the period after he introduced Cav, it was totally the wrong sub.Josh or Joe B would have been better. I would have gone Bryan.

So result of all that was we never looked like scoring enough to put games to bed or even win. Drawing was our modus operandi.

We also sent off on loan our two forwards who did score from time to time Kebano and AK47 so we literally had no one to score. Really bad decision making from Parker and his team.

Just two more wins and we would be OK...honestly that means maybe 4 goals away from safety. It was not a great ask was it ? And it had to be worth signing a proven goalscorer like King or frankly anyone.

Karlos

Unfortunately we don't have the offensive players in the squad to play fast attacking football?

We have no one who runs in behind the opposition defense and that's not a pop at just maja and mitro, the wingers and midfielders don't either

One Martin Thomas

The momentum we had from Liverpool at home to Liverpool away had gone !! Is that all we had in the tank ?? Is our poor form now down to a drop in form from Lookman and the loss of Anguissa for a few matches (I think it is) !!

I for one would happily keep Parker if we go down !! Let's see what he can do with one more season and what he's learnt at Fulham 

Zoppa77

Keep Parker you say. I do not agree.
Which player has improved as a footballer
Under his guidance. I can't think of one.
The results & style of play certainly have not
Improved.

SuffolkWhite

I think tempo in a game is important but we do seem slower more than other teams. Tactics from SP in some games are questionable, the run of games which we mainly drew I could understand as he was getting the defence sorted and got us to within touching distance of 17th. But the games after the Citeh game I question tactically, I felt we needed to go more attacking with M and M up front and balls being crossed in to them.
Tbf to SP individual errors have cost us in the last 3 games also and he did take Tosin out for Kongolo, which was a good move.

It is what it is, we just aren't good enough right now and the shame of it is we have a squad with potential if they had a pre season together and a few new faces.
Guy goes into the doctor's.
"Doc, I've got a cricket ball stuck up my backside
"How's that?"
"Don't you start"

bill taylors apprentice

I agree in general with the above but our style of play does not stress the opposition and when we get a break we don't have player capable of putting the chances away at this level.
Mitro excluded as he either hasn't been playing or we don't play to his strengths

filham

Yes, there were times last night when we were literally strolling about on the halfway line just passing the ball sideways and backwards and giving the opposing defense a breather. No options is not an excuse when you have a target man like Mitro up front waiting for an early ball.

rebel

Quote from: 70sPimlico on April 10, 2021, 08:12:47 AM
Parker has set us up a certain way. That fine, I may not particularly like it but I get it. The tactics are patient probing for opportunities.

However, in a must win game the players are not instructed to do everything else with urgency. Throw ins, free kicks and goal kicks are all done at a very slow pace. We never unsettle opposition by doing the simple things quickly. I understand that we don't play like Leeds tactically but why not take a bit of their mentality. It just all seems a bit too restrained.

At the end of the day, its a cup game with just 90 minutes to make or break.

It's not 'organic', it's all 'scripted'.