News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Player's under Contract - Championship rebuild - what do we need?

Started by RogFFC, April 11, 2021, 02:12:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

We Are Premier League

I think Khan will hold on to most of the players, even the ones that we actually want to sell, because the market is likely to be very soft. I can't see anyone coming in with a 20-25m bid for Mitro or even more than that for Zambo...similarly, can't see anyone match the current salary for Betts and MLM.

My squad:
GK - Rodak, Bettinelli, U23 GK
B - Tete, Sessegnon, Robinson, Bryan, Odoi, Tosin, Kongolo, Hector, Mawson, MLM
CM - Reed, Cairney, Onomah, Zambo
W/A - Kebano, Cavaleiro, Knockaert, BDR, Mitro

Exit: Christie, Kamara, Seri, McD, Ream, Johansen
In: 3 transfers and a few loans...
Suspect this will be the sad pool we will fishing in for new signings...https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/championship/endendevertraege/wettbewerb/GB2 (Mowatt? Fletcher? Assombalonga? Reach?)

Manager: Scott Parker

St Eve

Quote from: itombomb on April 11, 2021, 03:08:16 PM
Without any additional signings our starting team with loanees returning should be more than good enough to compete for the Championship title. It's basically the same team as last time with better defenders.

Rodak
Tete, Toisin, Kongolo, Robinson,
  Cav, Reed, Cairney, Kebano
          BDR, Mitro

Though would still have no confidence in Parker getting that team up automatically. The other problem is that if they did go up, they would again lack the necessary quality.
except Mitro, Kebano and Tete will go. Kongolo is always injured. Nothing exciting in that team

Arthur

Quote from: RogFFC on April 11, 2021, 02:12:54 PM
In terms of the squad TK has two options from my perspective:
1) stick with those who are clearly not up to it in the prem but do a job in the championship and hope we bounce back again after one season e.g. Ream, Odoi, Knockaert and Christie. Will likely then require many new signings if we do go up and a similar approach to this seasons windows. Loans are likely to feature heavily again and we will continue to be a high turnover club in terms of players.

2) clear out the old guard who are fine in the championship but never going to be prem players. This approach is more long term and in my view likely to take 2 or 3 seasons to deliver us a return to the top. But could be better IF we go up.

What's wrong with both keeping the players who can help to get us promoted again and trying to add players, this summer, who are better than those who are less likely to play in a promotion-chasing team.

I also question how feasible option 2 is. How do we build a team that consists entirely of players who are capable of playing in the Premier League? And this summer, particularly - at the start of our 'long term' rebuild - how do we sell the three seasons of Championship football to players of Premier League quality while we go about the overhaul?

Whitestone

I wouldn't assume the likes of Mitro, Anguissa and Tete will be off in the event of relegation.They all have long contracts and are exactly the type of players we would need in the Championship.

It's time to say cheerio to Kebano, Ream, Odoi, Christie, Le Marchand, Johansen, Knockaert, Bettinelli, Kamara, Mawson, Hector, Seri and Bettinelli. Have I missed anyone ?

We need to build around the existing first team regulars that are contracted to the club and bring in players with clear and obvious potential to play in the Premier League.

FulhamStu

Quote from: Whitestone on April 12, 2021, 07:26:20 AM
I wouldn't assume the likes of Mitro, Anguissa and Tete will be off in the event of relegation.They all have long contracts and are exactly the type of players we would need in the Championship.

It's time to say cheerio to Kebano, Ream, Odoi, Christie, Le Marchand, Johansen, Knockaert, Bettinelli, Kamara, Mawson, Hector, Seri and Bettinelli. Have I missed anyone ?

We need to build around the existing first team regulars that are contracted to the club and bring in players with clear and obvious potential to play in the Premier League.

I would pretty much agree with this but keep Hector as cover and maybe StefJo, although he will want to play, so that could be a problem.

Classic94

I share the general view that a major rebuild is required. We need to break the cycle of short-term planning and build a squad that can compete both in the Championship and then, potentially, in the EPL. Or we're destined to keep yo-yoing between divisions. The 'old guard' should be phased out and replaced by players in the Robinson and Tosin mould. We have to start utilising our academy too. Opoku, Francois, Carvalho, Jasper, Stansfield etc have surely shown enough promise to be around the 1st team squad.

Of the loanees, Aina and Maja are the only ones that could stay. Areola, Andersen, Lemina and Lookman will leave. So too will RLC (good riddance).

Out: Betts, Fabri, Christie, Mawson (sicknote), MLM, Ream, KMac, StefJo, Anguissa, Seri, Kebano, Knockaert, AK, Mitrovic (?)

I'm on the fence with StefJo, Kebano and AK. All are capable Championship players but ultimately nothing more. Betts is useful backup but may want to play elsewhere. It's imperative that the club somehow offload Seri's huge wages. I'd like Anguissa to stay but just can't see it happening. I have no idea what'll happen to Mitrovic. We may be wise to cash in, especially as he struggles to adapt to Parker's system. Hopefully Tete, Tosin and Reed stick around for at least one more season. Given the outgoings, Odoi's probably worth keeping for another year as defensive utility.

On Parker, I suspect we'll stick with him for stability but there's still doubts. The biggest being his inability to setup a fluid attacking system. Our attacks often feel stilted, clumsy and passive. Our goalscoring record this season speaks volumes and has to change.

This leaves us with:

GK: Rodak, Wickens

DEF: Tete, S Sessegnon, Tosin, Hector, Kongolo, Odoi, Robinson, Bryan, Opoku

MID: Cairney, Reed, Onomah, Francois

FOR: Mitrovic (?), BDR, Cavaleiro, Carvalho, Jasper, Stansfield

Major work needed.

Dougie

Quote from: H4usuallysitting on April 11, 2021, 06:07:24 PM
For the championship
Rodak
Betts
Fabri
Tete
Hector
Odoi
Ream
Tosin
Bryan
Kongolo
Mawson
Robinson
Cairney
Onomah
Reed
Zambo
Mitro
DC Reid
Cav
Knock
StefJo
KMac
Kebano
AKlunatic

Have i missed anyone?.....the above looks like a very decent Championship side

The last time in the Championship we had transfer amort + loan fees of around £47.3m (by my sums), but we also had revenue from R Sess of c. £25m. So, net £22.3m.

We have a committed amort of £38.1m based on player commitments we already have, so we need to get that down by around £16m (to £22m net) to be in a similar place to last time, which is probably a good marker of our FFP constraints.
So essentially we need to generate £16m from somewhere, which is why I think Anguissa will be off (we will need around £20.5m from him to generate than £16m, because we would have to amortise the final year of what we paid for him a year early)

I expect KMac will be off or given a coaching role, given his contract is expiring and his health issues. I think Mawson will leave for next to no money, joining Fabri, Christie, Seri and MLM as being released either at the end of their contract or getting a free transfer in their final year because it doesn't hurt our FFP position to do so (and I don't think anyone will actually give us money for Seri or MLM).

Still a good side and with any luck there will be a bit of spare cash for loans or a smart investment or two.

Bill2

Quote from: Skatzoffc on April 11, 2021, 02:36:47 PM
Buy a decent centre back. Preferably 2.

Same as for the last 5 seasons!
Buy some players who can score goals, if we keep the back line apart from Anderson it is pretty good. But we need goals from all over the pitch something our forward line have been spectacularly bad at. Not even.making good chances.

St Eve

Quote from: Bill2 on April 12, 2021, 01:54:49 PM
Quote from: Skatzoffc on April 11, 2021, 02:36:47 PM
Buy a decent centre back. Preferably 2.

Same as for the last 5 seasons!
Buy some players who can score goals, if we keep the back line apart from Anderson it is pretty good. But we need goals from all over the pitch something our forward line have been spectacularly bad at. Not even.making good chances.
3 of the back 5 are on loan and Tete will go

FFC In Oz

If we start next season with Ream, Odoi & Cav in the side it will be a long season.

The Rock

Quote from: Dougie on April 12, 2021, 01:33:29 PM
Quote from: H4usuallysitting on April 11, 2021, 06:07:24 PM
For the championship
Rodak
Betts
Fabri
Tete
Hector
Odoi
Ream
Tosin
Bryan
Kongolo
Mawson
Robinson
Cairney
Onomah
Reed
Zambo
Mitro
DC Reid
Cav
Knock
StefJo
KMac
Kebano
AKlunatic

Have i missed anyone?.....the above looks like a very decent Championship side

The last time in the Championship we had transfer amort + loan fees of around £47.3m (by my sums), but we also had revenue from R Sess of c. £25m. So, net £22.3m.

We have a committed amort of £38.1m based on player commitments we already have, so we need to get that down by around £16m (to £22m net) to be in a similar place to last time, which is probably a good marker of our FFP constraints.
So essentially we need to generate £16m from somewhere, which is why I think Anguissa will be off (we will need around £20.5m from him to generate than £16m, because we would have to amortise the final year of what we paid for him a year early)

I expect KMac will be off or given a coaching role, given his contract is expiring and his health issues. I think Mawson will leave for next to no money, joining Fabri, Christie, Seri and MLM as being released either at the end of their contract or getting a free transfer in their final year because it doesn't hurt our FFP position to do so (and I don't think anyone will actually give us money for Seri or MLM).

Still a good side and with any luck there will be a bit of spare cash for loans or a smart investment or two.

All this above. It's' pretty obvious. I don't think much is needed, nor do I think will the Khan's do much. They are still healing from their 100m in spending mistakes last time we were promoted and simply don't have the where with all to do any better. Ream and a few of the oldies and deadwood will be gone. The current side without loans is just about PL quality, and worthy of a 2nd in the Championship. And, as we saw this year, about 19th in the PL.

simplyfulham

Question for some of the people who keep a far sharper eye on the finances than I do, as it currently stands, does it look like we will have money to spend on transfers if we go down?

The Rational Fan

The preseason squad of 30 players is likely to be:
GK-4: Rodak, Betts, Fabri, Wickens
FB-5: Tete, Christie, S.Sess, Robinson, Bryan
CB-6: Hector, Tosin, Mawson, Kongolo, Odoi, MLM
DM-4: Reed, Seri, Anguissa, Stefjo
AM-3: Cairney, Onamah, Carvalho
WF-5: Knockaert, Cav, Reid, Kebano, Jasper
CF-3: Mitro, Maja, Kamara

A decent preseason squad with Betts, MLM, Seri, and Anguissa likely to be sold; hopefully giving us £30m deadline day cash total, to bring in another midfielder and winger "on loan with buy option" plus £10m FFP budget to buy Maja. I also suspect Tete will go on loan for at least the first half of the season, with a replacement coming too.

The Rational Fan

Quote from: simplyfulham on April 12, 2021, 11:47:11 PM
Question for some of the people who keep a far sharper eye on the finances than I do, as it currently stands, does it look like we will have money to spend on transfers if we go down?

We don't have much money to spend on transfers (or write our deadwood off), but we do have money to keep our current players and probably can get decent money for Anguissa to fund Josh Maja plus get in a few decent loans.

bobby01

Just a thought for you, the players we have out on loan, some were omitted from the squad in the first place. How motivated do you expect them to be to return to Parker who has shown he has no faith in them.
Watching the ups and downs since 1958, wouldn't have it any other way, what a roller coaster of a club.

Dougie

Quote from: simplyfulham on April 12, 2021, 11:47:11 PM

The tl;dr summary is: we definitely have to make one big sale, but probably only one sale. We won't have much money to reinvest unless we make more.

Full answer:
According to a spreadsheet I keep, in 19/20 we had £47.3m transfer amort + loan fees across the season, and generated £25m from the Sessegnon sale. So a net spend of £22.3m.
Our present commitments for 21/22 are £38.4m, so that means we need to generate £16.1m in transfer revenue to have the same commitments. That seems to have been a fairly decent indicator of FFP constraints in past years.

That £16.1m figure has a catch though: anyone we sell, we have to amortise the remainder of their original transfer fee in the year we sell them. So assuming we sell Anguissa, we would have to amortise the final year of his five year contract, which we are presently due to do in 22/23. That's probably around £4.5m.

So if we sell Anguissa, we need to do so for £16.1m+£4.5m = £20.6m to reduce our net fees to where they were in 19/20. Anything beyond that could generate funds to play with.

But say we sell Anguissa for £25.6m, so we have £5m to play with. That's only how much we have to amortise next season. We could spend £20m on players and hand them all four year contracts, for instance.

We probably have a bigger wage bill than the last time we came down (£29m), but expect Fabri, Seri, MLM, KMac Christie, and Mawson to leave at the very least. They all either have expiring contracts or 1 year left on their contract which means we can let them walk without any hit to FFP.

My prediction is we won't have £10m to spend on someone like Maja, but we also won't have to gut our squad.

bill taylors apprentice

I can't bear the thought of another season (in any division) with the likes of Cav, Knockart, BDR, Kamara in our team!
Kebano & BDR maybe as fringe players.

clarkey

Could npt agree more with BT';s apprentice.

Frankly if we play another season with Cav that is it. We just do not need players as bad as this.Nothing wrong with BDR though.We can make a great hampionship side out of the above squad, just needs a creative and attack minded manager.Howe would be the best appointment.

Ronnief

Very few clubs will be in a position to pay huge sums for players at the end of this season. There will be many players whose contracts are finishing who will be looking for jobs and those will be the players that this club will be looking at. We cannot expect that there will be clubs clambering for any of our contracted players. Players like Christie, Knockeart, AK, Le Marchand, Mawson will probably still be on our books so don't expect any incomings. My view is let us try and integrate youth into the first team.

Dougie

Quote from: Ronnief on April 13, 2021, 11:35:12 AM
Players like Christie, Knockeart, AK, Le Marchand, Mawson will probably still be on our books so don't expect any incomings. My view is let us try and integrate youth into the first team.

Christie's contract is up so I expect we will let him go if we think that Tete, Odoi and S Sess are sufficient strength for the RB role.

MLM and Mawson are in the last year of their contract, so I would expect that we will let both of them leave for nothing if someone is willing to pick up their wages.