https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

New "European Super League" to be announced tonight ?...Totally Change Football

Started by Steeeeeeeeeed, April 18, 2021, 04:36:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blingo

We'r
Quote from: Nero on April 18, 2021, 05:03:20 PM
We must be in it, can be the only reason why Parker keeps playing the way he does as it doesnt matter

We're in it alright Mr Nero, right up to our bl@@dy necks and I don't mean the Super league.

Zoppa77

Not sure how to link article
Gary Neville 'the football feed'
Brilliant.
Let them leave. But punish them. They imposters. OMG.
Brilliant article.

filham

I for one would completely ignore the European super league, never watch it on TV, never read a newspaper article and certainly never go to a match. Also I hope the big six would also be excluded from all domestic football like the FA cup.

English league football should be democratically re organised with four equal divisions and a wage cap on players.

Spurs, Arsenal and Chelsea would be removed from the London football scene leaving West Ham and Fulham as the London giants.

Of course the big six would not be allowed anywhere near Wembley stadium.

It could be a great improvement just less money splashing around.

rebel

Correction on my part, they will be competing in their National Leagues too. According to Sky.

Deeping_white

Let them go, and if it means as a byproduct that there's less money in the EPL then so be it. It's a vanity project that will be destined to fail once it becomes stagnant, and I think that the PL would be better for it without the "big 6". The championship is far more entertaining by virtue of unpredictability and being much more competitive to a larger number of teams, so if the PL becomes a higher quality version of that the nobody loses. It would probably mean that FFP is binned off because of the unworkable state of the super league skewing things which is another plus too. Imagine bringing the top 6 from the Championship in place of the big 6 (shame about Brentford but que sera) and think about how much more entertaining the league would be because it would be a much more level playing field.

WhiteJC

WhiteJC

F(f)CUK

BBC news was funny at lunchtime. They stated that the big 6 were considering forming the super league and then showed Man City, Liverpool, Chelsea, Arsenal and Man U all celebrating trophy successes. Hold on...that's only 5!!!

It is clear that the owners want a US football option of franchises. Hopefully this will be taken forward to the ultimate position, where they decide that they don't need 3 franchises in London and you have the London Lions, the Cardiff Hotspurs and the Glasgow Gooners. Unfortunately this will attract all the cash and Newcastle vs Aston Villa will be the equivalent of a Championship match in terms of TV ratings.

cottage expat

Quote from: SP on April 18, 2021, 07:21:07 PM
Quote from: Cornishnick on April 18, 2021, 07:16:49 PM
Good riddance, let 'em go.  Then reorganise English footie into 4 divisions (we could call them Div 1,2,3,& 4  :005:).  No prima donnas and best of all, some competitive leagues where everyone (correction: nearly everyone) has a chance of going up or down.

This definitely works for me.  In winter, I'd also stipulate the requirement for a muddy pitch to complete the revamp!

:plus one:

Yes, and bring back real leather balls to go with the muddy pitch.

WhiteJC

KingofCheese

The reality in football is there are two types of fan in the main. There are those like me who looks forward to going to the Cottage, meeting up with my mates, having a few beers and a bite to eat and then going to see Fulham, come rain or shine or, very frequently, freezing conditions. I love the walk to the stadium, the sounds of the burger vans and the roar of the crowd and even the heartbreak of losing because there is also those wonderful moments when we grab a late minute winner or get promoted etc.

Then there is the "global fan". Someone who supports Hotspudsolona or Realmanchesterford or whoever is the "best" team at that moment. He or she buys a match on tv and texts their mates to cheer on "their" team and the great player who they don't really know but who they have been told is the next Messi (what ever that means...). This is the "fan" these soulless owners want - the download on the iphone crowd who will happily switch to another club next week if their current ones lose. They don't want us "legacy" fans who are annoying and demand that they respect our history. This circus will be played out in Qatar or the US in some soulless city but will run on PPV. We are not required.
Jullie Kaas is mijn Kaas

rebel

The 14 other Chairman of clubs met this morning, there's talk of points deductions for every match they play in the Super League.

https://www.nwemail.co.uk/sport/national/19245239.everton-leeds-aston-villa-among-clubs-oppose-european-super-league/

Mr White

JoelH5

I was there, standing in the Putney end

JoelH5

Quote from: rebel on April 20, 2021, 12:31:29 PM
The 14 other Chairman of clubs met this morning, there's talk of points deductions for every match they play in the Super League.

https://www.nwemail.co.uk/sport/national/19245239.everton-leeds-aston-villa-among-clubs-oppose-european-super-league/

What's the point of that. Again, posturing. A load of rubbish. Dock them all 30 points now or shut up and let them do it. The PL wont do that as they want them in the league for their own financial gain. Anyone who doesnt think the PL are just as bad is kidding themselves
I was there, standing in the Putney end

cmg

I just hope the deluge of negative reaction doesn't stop it from happening.
I'll be glad to see the back of the arrogant jerks. And no longer having to put up with the salivating, sycophantic commentators telling us how wonderful they are.

Couldn't care less if I can never see Manchester City play again...or Borussia Dortmund...or Paris Saint-bloody-Germain.
Anyone who does will always be able to see them on the box as all their matches will be televised anyway. At least until people get fed up of them and the tv companies decide more money can be made from televised Nude Bakery on Ice.
I'll be happy that they are not sticking their gluttonous snouts in my trough anymore.

Incidentally, I don't believe that this "totally changes football".
Football, as always, remains the same, it's just the method of extracting dough from those who enjoy it that changes.

rebel

Hundreds of protesting Chelsea fans have now started to sit down outside Stamford Bridge as they prepare to make their feelings about the ESL clear when they greet the team coaches before their side's match against Brighton at 8pm BST. Police are in close attendance but all is peaceful. Some flares have been let off and chants of "it's not football anymore" can be heard. Here's what the Chelsea staff will see on some of the banners:

Fans not customers
RIP Chelsea FC (1905-2021)
Sold our Soul
RIP Football (1862-2021)
Buck Off Super League
Roman, Do The Right Thing
Super Greed
Blue is the Colour, Money is our aim

It's the biggest protest so far and is getting increasingly more impassioned.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/live/2021/apr/20/european-super-league-backlash-builds-against-breakaway-plan-live

WhiteJC

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: cottage expat on April 19, 2021, 05:39:55 PM
Quote from: SP on April 18, 2021, 07:21:07 PM
Quote from: Cornishnick on April 18, 2021, 07:16:49 PM
Good riddance, let 'em go.  Then reorganise English footie into 4 divisions (we could call them Div 1,2,3,& 4  :005:).  No prima donnas and best of all, some competitive leagues where everyone (correction: nearly everyone) has a chance of going up or down.

This definitely works for me.  In winter, I'd also stipulate the requirement for a muddy pitch to complete the revamp!

:plus one:

Yes, and bring back real leather balls to go with the muddy pitch.

and outlaw diving and pretending to be injured and showing imaginary yellow and red card cards.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

G_Gribby

Well.. as this new league have to survive without English clubs what happens now?

Personally I will anyway dislike the "top 6" clubs even more from now. A bunch of rubbish that.
Only Sweden has Swedish gooseberries.