watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Rumours of Qatar bribes

Started by duffbeer, December 15, 2010, 02:19:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

duffbeer

An Amercian Newsweek and NBC correspondent, who to my knowledge never covers sport, has tweeted that a good source told him that some FIFA members may have received bribes as high as $10 million to vote for the Qatar bid.  I would thorouhly enjoy it if this whole thing blows up in Blatters face.  Anyone with me? Also, why is it legal to bribe a FIFA official?  Shouldnt it be called something else then?

http://m.nbcsports.com/s/3992/6;jsessionid=1576908320464116DC82109BD04654C0?pageNum=0&view=all

QuoteJonathan Alter: Qatar may have paid $10 mil for each FIFA vote
December 14, 2010 2:45 PM ET, by Rick Chandler The news just keeps getting better for Sepp Blatter and FIFA. Right on the heels of the FIFA chief's unfortunately snide comment about gay sex at the World Cup, comes this series of tweets from Newsweek columnist and NBC News contributing correspondent Jonathan Alter, who writes that a "great source" says that some members of the World Cup Selection Committee were bribed $10 million each for their vote.

Hey, soccer fans: a great source says that most members of the FIFA World Cup Selection Com got a (legal) bribe of $10 million from Qatar.:

Soccer scandal: Brits, U.S. (Including Bill Clinton) wasted time going to Zurich to win World Cup. Fix was in for Qatar!!

Soccer scandal cont: Press in FIFA nations shld probe how FIFA members spend their new $10 million apiece. Qatar bribed way to victory.

Soccer scandal exclusive cont: That's the inside word: Qatar paid $10m for each FIFA vote. Only reason it got World Cup. Who will probe?

While it's already been reported that Qatar threw around a lot of money to get the Cup, the depth of the shenanigans has not. As far as I know, it's not illegal to bribe a FIFA official — unless it's with endangered parrots smuggled in your pants. But if this source turns out to be accurate, it could be the blow that places Blatter in the penalty box for good. This whole Russia/Qatar selection process has been a total mess, and unless FIFA wants 12 years of open warfare, it had better get into damage control right quick.

mrska

I would love something concrete.. to bring Bent FiFa  and Blater down ... :014:

Lighthouse

I think you will find there were no bribes at all. Simply 'Perks of the job'  :dead horse:
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

goffc

Quote from: Lighthouse on December 15, 2010, 03:09:19 PM
I think you will find there were no bribes at all. Simply 'Perks of the job'  :dead horse:

have to agree - is this surprising to anyone that the vote was bought? 

HatterDon

I hate to chuck the feline in amidst the avians, but what was England's international in Jack Warner country if it wasn't an attempted bribe to curry favor with a FIFA toff?

Then there was the "absolutle coincidence" of England and the USA dropping out of one WC bid with the effect that they weren't competing with each other. I think it's a bit naive to believe that the only two nations engaged in bribery and other forms of favor-providing were Qatar and Russia.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

BarryP

Quote from: HatterDon on December 16, 2010, 04:38:11 AM
I hate to chuck the feline in amidst the avians, but what was England's international in Jack Warner country if it wasn't an attempted bribe to curry favor with a FIFA toff?

Then there was the "absolutle coincidence" of England and the USA dropping out of one WC bid with the effect that they weren't competing with each other. I think it's a bit naive to believe that the only two nations engaged in bribery and other forms of favor-providing were Qatar and Russia.

You know the poor cat doesn't stand a chance don't you?
"Never give in. Never give in. Never, never, never, never--in nothing, great or small, large or petty--never give in, except to convictions of honor and good sense."

Burt

FIFA in bribes scandal?

Stop the press!

:dead horse:

The Equalizer

There seems to be a subtle difference in the way that it's defined.

Going to a Fifa member and saying that "if you promise us the vote, we promise to give your country X assistance at Y time" is legal whereas saying "here's £10Million, now who are you voting for?" is against the rules.

It's how business has been done for hundreds of years in The City.
"We won't look back on this season with regret, but with pride. Because we won what many teams fail to win in a lifetime – an unprecedented degree of respect and support that saw British football fans unite and cheer on Fulham with heart." Mohammed Al Fayed, May 2010

Twitter: @equalizerffc

duffbeer

Don, I thought the same thing about the US and England bids but this has been debunked.  Chuck Blazer has admitted he voted for Russia and has in writing that he did not promise his vote to England.  And actually it makes sense because if England got 2018 there is the thinking that FIFA would be reluctant to award 2022 to the US (or Australia) - another English speaking nation.

As far as the England friendly in T&T, while that was undoubtedly done to woo Jack Warner, at least the fans and football programs in that region benefited and it is above board.  There is a difference between that and 10 million going into someones pocket.  I'm not saying it happened but I sure would love someone to find out.  Again, I dont care where the WC is held, but there are other issues.  If dont want FIFA's corruption extending to what happens on the pitch.