watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

If we move on and pretend the Super League has happened

Started by rebel, April 21, 2021, 11:44:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rebel

Wouldn't the likes of Real Madrid, Barcelona etc do exactly what they have been doing; paying ever higher player transfer fees, ever higher player wages etc. They would have even more money to create even more debt. The fans pay the 'ultimate price', higher ticket prices, higher TV subscriptions etc.   

I remember Liverpool had an amazing team, won almost everything, then I hear they are buying players they just didn't need, simply because Liverpool fans expected new players to come in.

Huxley

Unless a salary cup is introduced, players will be paid more and more, so will agents, so will fans either via subscription or tickets. What has changed from 10/20 years ago? Nothing, other than everything is more expensive, credit is easy to come by, and fans get screwed more. 

The Rational Fan

A Super League Breakaway allows teams to perform poorly (like ManUtd and Spurs) make more money than any Premier League team has ever dreamed of (including ManUtd). The financial dream of any sporting team owner is to "earn a lot of money" and "barely have to pay footballers anything at all". It is important, the second half of that equation that makes the Super League so unbelievably profitable. The bottom half of the Super League is a financial dream for those that want to make more money, and the top half is a dream for owners that want prestige of owning the best football club in the world.

A few super league teams like Man City, Chelsea, Juventus, Real Madrid, and Barcelona will buy the best players in the world paid for by their large revenues; other teams maybe Liverpool, ManUnited, Arsenal, and Spurs will pay whatever is going rate for Premier League players that want to play in the Super League (but note Premier League wages will be less than half what they are currently so some teams wages bills could be similar to Everton FC).

ManUnited suddenly has the option of earning what they currently earn and spend less than half what they currently spend on wages. I believe the Glazers would be very happy with revenue of £700m+, costs of £250m (similar to Everton), and coming 16th in the ESL. I believe the only reason the British Clubs backed out was the threat of restricting VISAs so only UK citizens can play for the Big SIX.