watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Happy St George’s Day

Started by St Eve, April 22, 2021, 10:31:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

St Eve

Just bought the pork pies, bangers and Boddingtons. Hoisted the English flag and have taken tomorrow off work.

bobbo

Good for you st eve . We just don't celebrate it enough .
1975 just leaving home full of hope

Woolly Mammoth

Make a Knight of it 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

love4ffc

Not going to lie, I was growing a little bit concerned earlier when I did not see a post from Woolly celebrating St. George's day. 

Let's make a knight of it  082.gif
Anyone can blend into the crowd.  How will you standout when it counts?

grandad

Pity he was born a Greek & was a Roman soldier. He never set foot in England. Why couldn´t we have chosen someone like Boadicea. Much more relevant in our history.
Where there's a will there's a wife

ron

My St. George's Cross is fluttering proudly in the April sunshine.

Hurrah for St. George !!!!

alfie

Quote from: grandad on April 23, 2021, 09:15:58 AM
Pity he was born a Greek & was a Roman soldier. He never set foot in England. Why couldn´t we have chosen someone like Boadicea. Much more relevant in our history.
I always thought he was Turkish.
Story of my life
"I was looking back to see if she was looking back to see if i was looking back at her"
Sadly she wasn't

JoelH5

Quote from: grandad on April 23, 2021, 09:15:58 AM

But she wasn't English?
I was there, standing in the Putney end

Holders

I've always marked this occasion and, when I worked in London, used to go for a curry in Brick Lane washed down with pints of Bombardier but this morning I woke up thinking that I really just couldn't give a toss this year. The state of our country makes me embarrassed rather than proud to be English. Sad but true.

And, no, Boudicca wasn't English! The patron saint before George was Edmund.
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

HV71

The patron saint before George was Edmund.

...and hence Bury St Edmunds the location of his shrine

Holders

Quote from: HV71 on April 23, 2021, 11:45:24 AM
The patron saint before George was Edmund.

...and hence Bury St Edmunds the location of his shrine

And he was English. I think that it was the Plantagenets who changed it though I don't suppose the Normans were that happy with it.
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

Maidstone Lee

Cry God for Harry, England & St. George.

Happy St George's Day Fulham family.
Stand up if you still believe!
@LeeWarner19

Twig

We have this sort of post every year.  Fine if you feel the need but I'm not quite sure what the point is.

ron

I think it's called being happy, upbeat and positive after a long period of austerity and bleakness....

... but quite right , it's absolutely pointless.

hovewhite

At home on the south coast flag flying music British icons blaring away in the sunshine.in name of st George .

ron

Quote from: Holders on April 23, 2021, 11:03:52 AM
I've always marked this occasion and, when I worked in London, used to go for a curry in Brick Lane washed down with pints of Bombardier but this morning I woke up thinking that I really just couldn't give a toss this year. The state of our country makes me embarrassed rather than proud to be English. Sad but true.

And, no, Boudicca wasn't English! The patron saint before George was Edmund.

That's the spirit!

Woolly Mammoth

I have donned my Crusader outfit with plate armour and chain mail, and the Cross of St George clothed over my armour brilliant white and a deep bright Red Cross 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 and I have already proceeded to slay a few dragons, and there will no doubt be more to come if there are any further adverse remarks from the less jovial amongst us.
Nevertheless a Happy St Georges Day to one and all, and I think it is time for another bottle of English Bombardier to be consumed. 🍺🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

ALG01

Quote from: Twig on April 23, 2021, 12:48:25 PM
We have this sort of post every year.  Fine if you feel the need but I'm not quite sure what the point is.

One of the very best and most quintessential thing about being English was always not having to bother with stuff like st george's day.
Celebrating your national saint or wearing national dress is for this that are ill at ease with their place in the world.

If used as an excuse for a boit of a knees up, I am in favour, but I genuinely do not think I know anyone that even slightly knew st george's day was today.

Fotr those celebrating...Enjoy :wine:

blingo

We used to call a mate of ours St George cos he used to lance all the dragons