watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Am I correct in thinking

Started by H4usuallysitting, May 15, 2021, 05:03:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

H4usuallysitting

We're in a better position with signed player's in the championship, than we were last time around?

Tabby

Quote from: H4usuallysitting on May 15, 2021, 05:03:32 PM
We're in a better position with signed player's in the championship, than we were last time around?

I think so, but I find that a lot of people on here disagree.

Whitestone

As far as the numbers go you're probably right but I'm not so certain we have the depth. Lots of deadwood to shift too.

ron

Quote from: Whitestone on May 15, 2021, 05:05:04 PM
As far as the numbers go you're probably right but I'm not so certain we have the depth. Lots of deadwood to shift too.

.....more dead wood than Dutch elm disease and ash dieback managed to produce together.

bill taylors apprentice

Theoretically, probably true but boy oh boy if we continue with the same tactics and teamwork we are in for a fall!

The Rational Fan

Quote from: ron on May 15, 2021, 05:07:14 PM

.....more dead wood than Dutch elm disease and ash dieback managed to produce together.

We have a lot of good championship players for next season. A Championship player that isn't good enough for the premier league is not deadwood for us next season. 

S.F.Sorrow

Well that depends on whether the players we dumped last year will be up for another promotion fight... knowing they will be dumped again if we're promoted. So my answer is no. We will need a very good transfer window to be anywhere near the playoffs IMO.

Pluto

Quote from: The Rational Fan on May 16, 2021, 01:02:38 AM

We have a lot of good championship players for next season. A Championship player that isn't good enough for the premier league is not deadwood for us next season. 

This is right. I keep hearing people saying we need an overhaul but the gap in quality between the PL and CH is massive. Many of the players I hear mentioned for the chop - the likes of Onomah, Hector, Kebano, Cav - would be some of the best players in the championship. Even guys like Ream and Stefjo are more than good enough for backup. Our current squad, minus loanees would be easily the best on paper in that league. The problem is the manager.

perry geyton

An inform Mitro resigning alongside Tom Cairney staying was a massive up
This time round we're more then likely losing a 20+ a season striker and our best play maker by a mile is slightly doubtful so I'm not so optimistic

Whitestone

Quote from: The Rational Fan on May 16, 2021, 01:02:38 AM

I disagree. We have a number of players that were a liability last time we were in the Championship. Ream, Odoi, Le Marchand, Bettinelli for example. We have others on the books like Knockhart and Kamara who are blocking places in the squad. I appreciate that we can't have a full squad of Premier League ready players, I am realistic, but far too many of the existing squad are way below the standard. If Fulham are going to progress and stabilise a significant number of players must be moved on so the squad can be strengthened with players that would give us a fighting chance of survival when we are next promoted, otherwise the merry go round will just keep spinning and we'll keep falling off.

JackHamlet90

I think a core of Rodak Tete Tosin Robinson Bryan Reed Cairney Onomah BDR will be very good next season.
We have likes of Johansen Kebano Mawson who are good at this level to come back in.
Club needs to decide on moving on decent championship players like Kamara & Knockeart for the likes of Carvalho & Jasper which of course I think we should do

Ruislip White

We had the best squad in league last season.  We were  good enough to be automatically promoted.  Whether or not we're better next season will depend on whether Mitro and Reed stay, and also the fitness of Cairney. 
Hopefully Christie, AK47 and Knockaert return as better players as all were poor last season.

Fulham1959

Quote from: perry geyton on May 16, 2021, 05:00:48 AM
This time round we're more then likely losing a 20+ a season striker and our best play maker by a mile is slightly doubtful so I'm not so optimistic

There's a difference between 'resigning' and 're-signing'.   :005:

S.F.Sorrow

Quote from: Ruislip White on May 16, 2021, 09:04:13 AM
We had the best squad in league last season.  We were  good enough to be automatically promoted.  Whether or not we're better next season will depend on whether Mitro and Reed stay, and also the fitness of Cairney. 
Hopefully Christie, AK47 and Knockaert return as better players as all were poor last season.

According to a friend who is Forest supporter Christie has had a decent but far from outstanding season in a struggling team.

Knockaert... selfish, poor decision making, frustrating to watch... sounds familiar?

If we have ambitions about automatic promotion neither of them are good enough to be regular starters IMO.

AK47 has by all accounts had a very poor season at Dijon but to be fair they were horrible this season and he probably suffered a bit from this. Still, I don't expect him to improve much EVER. I'm sure he can unsettle some defenses in the Championship with his pace and strength but the negatives will always outweight the positives for me. Some of the stupid things he has done is almost beyond belief and I don't like the idea of having him anywhere near the first team squad.

ALG01

i thiought the squad in the last championship was very unbalanced.
our defence was not all that and the chances we gave away in the division were way too many and we survived through poor quality of the opposition.
what we did have was mitro on fire for a long time and his goals made the difference.
this time we will have tete and tosin a definite step up and if kongolo is ever fit he will be very good. however the rest of the squad is questionable. reed may be ok but does not seem to last a season..and TC is clearly an issue as he is not fit and may not ever be capable of getting back to his best.

it is exactly what scott said. we need a re think and time to build for the future. we need a team that will be able to go up and stay up and that means having a proper full time squad with appropriate players. slav went up with essentially 13 or 14 players and we were massively lucky that season with injuries and suspension.

i would personally get rid of mitro, i love him but toime for a change and i think it will be good for him too to move on. he is massively let down by the events since joining.

some of the returning players are not good enough and and much of the current squad fit into that category too. too imagine we will progress using the core from the past is just not realistic. i would rather take a little longer but try to properly re build.

Twig

Quote from: ALG01 on May 16, 2021, 11:22:42 AM
i thiought the squad in the last championship was very unbalanced.
our defence was not all that and the chances we gave away in the division were way too many and we survived through poor quality of the opposition.
what we did have was mitro on fire for a long time and his goals made the difference.
this time we will have tete and tosin a definite step up and if kongolo is ever fit he will be very good. however the rest of the squad is questionable. reed may be ok but does not seem to last a season..and TC is clearly an issue as he is not fit and may not ever be capable of getting back to his best.

it is exactly what scott said. we need a re think and time to build for the future. we need a team that will be able to go up and stay up and that means having a proper full time squad with appropriate players. slav went up with essentially 13 or 14 players and we were massively lucky that season with injuries and suspension.

i would personally get rid of mitro, i love him but toime for a change and i think it will be good for him too to move on. he is massively let down by the events since joining.

some of the returning players are not good enough and and much of the current squad fit into that category too. too imagine we will progress using the core from the past is just not realistic. i would rather take a little longer but try to properly re build.

Tend to agree with a lot of this assessment.

Ruislip White

Quote from: S.F.Sorrow on May 16, 2021, 11:05:33 AM

According to a friend who is Forest supporter Christie has had a decent but far from outstanding season in a struggling team.

Knockaert... selfish, poor decision making, frustrating to watch... sounds familiar?

If we have ambitions about automatic promotion neither of them are good enough to be regular starters IMO.

AK47 has by all accounts had a very poor season at Dijon but to be fair they were horrible this season and he probably suffered a bit from this. Still, I don't expect him to improve much EVER. I'm sure he can unsettle some defenses in the Championship with his pace and strength but the negatives will always outweight the positives for me. Some of the stupid things he has done is almost beyond belief and I don't like the idea of having him anywhere near the first team squad.
Can't that that surprises me.  I was trying to be measured on AK47- but agree with you.  Arguably the best business of our Jan transfer window!

LittleErn

Quote from: Fulham1959 on May 16, 2021, 11:03:01 AM
Quote from: perry geyton on May 16, 2021, 05:00:48 AM

There's a difference between 'resigning' and 're-signing'.   :005:

Yes. Resigning is what he might well do this Summer!

Matt10

I watched a lot of Forest matches to keep an eye on both Christie and Knockaert. Knock played exactly the way he did for us. Too many touches, too many half-chances and strange decisions. Christie was consistently in the RB spot and was responsible for a couple of assists due to his high-quality crossing. The team definitely struggled, and I couldn't quite put my finger on it. They have good players, and some up and coming youngster in Alex Mighten. It was just strange how the likes of Grabban and Taylor couldn't find themselves on the pitch at the same time.

Phil Stant

Quote from: Matt10 on May 16, 2021, 07:57:07 PM

I watched a lot of Forest matches to keep an eye on both Christie and Knockaert. Knock played exactly the way he did for us. Too many touches, too many half-chances and strange decisions. Christie was consistently in the RB spot and was responsible for a couple of assists due to his high-quality crossing. The team definitely struggled, and I couldn't quite put my finger on it. They ohave good players, and some up and coming youngster in Alex Mighten. It was just strange how the likes of Grabban and Taylor couldn't find themselves on the pitch at the same time.
Migthten good prospect.
I can't see Knockhaert having a future as an inverted right side forward.
He could be more useful as a left midfielder in a 442.